Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 16:00 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 16:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1435 [0]
Given Kudos: 575
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1435 [0]
Given Kudos: 575
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AishPan wrote:
It is better to take a profile evaluation from experts like Alumni of the college

I would disagree with this statement. Alums often to not know why they got into a school and if so, could not apply the same input/strategy to your case.
However, they might be helpful in assessing how you would fit into the culture of the school, and what that culture is like. The qualitative factor.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background and nationality:
White American and dual Swiss citizen

Undergrad Information:
Top 5 Western Regional University - Computer Science and econ minor 3.33 gpa
https://premium.usnews.com/best-college ... ities-west

GMAT:
710 (Q47V40) considering a retake as I got V44 on the two prior practice tests but really don't want to

Work experience and leadership:
Senior Product Manager at top 10 tech company. 2 promotions and 2 years interning. Started as software dev and transitioned to PM.
Won multiple hackathons, have a pending patent. Work on a few matrixed teams with ~20 people total. Not the direct manager but responsible for what people work on. International work experience

Community and others:
Board observer then Board Member of Private foundation for the last 3 years. Elected for another 3 years. ~$200 million in assets. Member of investment committee
Working in high profile area

Post MBA goals:
Work at a smaller startup focused on growth. Might be a PM again but not set in stone. Want to expand my non-technical skills like marketing, pricing, strategy so I can have a bigger impact on the company.

Anything else?
Used to be ranked nationally for an action sport
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ChuckChunder,
See below for my comments...
Best of luck!
Kate

ChuckChunder wrote:
Background and nationality:
White American and dual Swiss citizen Interesting, should help a little :-)

Undergrad Information:
Top 5 Western Regional University - Computer Science and econ minor 3.33 gpa
https://premium.usnews.com/best-college ... ities-west I like the technical and quant background. GPA is solid, and just slightly below Sloan's average (3.49)

GMAT:
710 (Q47V40) considering a retake as I got V44 on the two prior practice tests but really don't want to This is a high enough score to show you can manage a program like Sloan, but again it's just below their average (722). I would retake, do some focused/minimal studying and give it one more shot to see if you can get that verbal up. Many of our clients see score boosts when they retake, simply because they're more used to the exam format/setting.

Work experience and leadership:
Senior Product Manager at top 10 tech company. 2 promotions and 2 years interning. Started as software dev and transitioned to PM.
Won multiple hackathons, have a pending patent. Work on a few matrixed teams with ~20 people total. Not the direct manager but responsible for what people work on. International work experience Great experience! Making the switch from a dev role to PM is great. Plus the international experience and promotions.

Community and others:
Board observer then Board Member of Private foundation for the last 3 years. Elected for another 3 years. ~$200 million in assets. Member of investment committee
Working in high profile area Excellent! Great leadership and long tenure!

Post MBA goals:
Work at a smaller startup focused on growth. Might be a PM again but not set in stone. Want to expand my non-technical skills like marketing, pricing, strategy so I can have a bigger impact on the company. Totally makes sense why you need an MBA. Maybe an operations or strategy role would make sense too. I think your PM experience will be attractive, since many MBAs want to break into that.

Anything else?
Used to be ranked nationally for an action sport Intriguing. I think overall your profile is really strong. Given the strength of your work and community involvement, I don't think a GMAT retake is necessary, but it can't hurt, even just a slight boost to a 720 or 730 could really make a difference at the top schools on your list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you Kate!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bookmarks
Dear All,

I would appreciate if you could help me review my profile for the Sloan Fellows program.
Also, do you know any admission consultant having experience with the Sloan Fellows program to recommend?

Background and nationality: Female, Vietnamese & French, 32 yo.
Undergrad Information: Bachelor in Chemistry (GPA: B+) from Universite Pierre & Marie Curie (Paris), Master in Process Engineering (GPA: 3.58/4).
Executive Assessment Score: 153
Work experience and leadership: I will have 9 years of full time experience by next May 2018, with 3 years of experience in a manager role. However the program requests at least 10 years of experience. Do I still have my chance?
I started my career as a process engineer in France. Then I was detached for a year in the Netherlands.
During my sabbatical year in Japan, I worked as a maths & sciences highschool teacher in an International School and participate in a Business competition in which our team won the 2nd prize.
Now I am working in Singapore. Within my current organization, I led a commissioning team (all experienced male operators) to start up units in a greenfield manufacturing plant. I was the only female in the field (and one of the youngest).
I led the management team of my organization in setting up the quality management system (from nothing), and we're the only plant in the company worldwide that obtained 5 certifications within 12 months. This brings the business from commodities to a more specialty chemicals business (higher contribution margin)
I am also leading the Quality performance of the company. We have significantly reduced our customer complaint and reduced our non conformance rate from 14% to <1% within 2 years.

Community and others: I was one of the pioneer member of a major Vietnamese student association overseas. At 20 yo, I led the organization of the first forum of the association to help Vietnamese students who want to study abroad. There were 500 visitors, including representatives of the media and Embassies.
Currently, I am a donor & member of screening committee of a scholarship association.

Post MBA goals: my goal is to work in product management and corporate strategy in the Chemical Fields, and promote sustainable & responsible chemistry.

Thank you very much for reading my post. I look forward to reading from you.
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi enbeevee,

Happy to help! See below for my comments.

Kate

enbeevee wrote:
Dear All,

I would appreciate if you could help me review my profile for the Sloan Fellows program.
Also, do you know any admission consultant having experience with the Sloan Fellows program to recommend? Our firm does. PM me if you want to find out more details on working with us.

Background and nationality: Female, Vietnamese & French, 32 yo. The program looks for diversity in cultural backgrounds too so this should help
Undergrad Information: Bachelor in Chemistry (GPA: B+) from Universite Pierre & Marie Curie (Paris), Master in Process Engineering (GPA: 3.58/4). Strong academic background, especially since both STEM fields
Executive Assessment Score: 153 Great! I've heard that most schools look for a 150+ score
Work experience and leadership: I will have 9 years of full time experience by next May 2018, with 3 years of experience in a manager role. However the program requests at least 10 years of experience. Do I still have my chance? I think you still have a chance, though I'm not certain how strict MIT is with that...my guess is that like other programs it's a guideline. I would ask the question directly to MIT. In fact, I checked and they have some online admissions chats coming up: https://mitsloan.mit.edu/fellows/admissi ... ns-events/
I started my career as a process engineer in France. Then I was detached for a year in the Netherlands.
During my sabbatical year in Japan, I worked as a maths & sciences highschool teacher in an International School and participate in a Business competition in which our team won the 2nd prize.
Now I am working in Singapore. Within my current organization, I led a commissioning team (all experienced male operators) to start up units in a greenfield manufacturing plant. I was the only female in the field (and one of the youngest). Impressive! The international experience is great, as is your perspective as a woman in manufacturing.
I led the management team of my organization in setting up the quality management system (from nothing), and we're the only plant in the company worldwide that obtained 5 certifications within 12 months. This brings the business from commodities to a more specialty chemicals business (higher contribution margin)
I am also leading the Quality performance of the company. We have significantly reduced our customer complaint and reduced our non conformance rate from 14% to <1% within 2 years. Also impressive. These are exactly the kinds of leadership and large scale impact that the program seeks.

Community and others: I was one of the pioneer member of a major Vietnamese student association overseas. At 20 yo, I led the organization of the first forum of the association to help Vietnamese students who want to study abroad. There were 500 visitors, including representatives of the media and Embassies. Great leadership example.
Currently, I am a donor & member of screening committee of a scholarship association.

Post MBA goals: my goal is to work in product management and corporate strategy in the Chemical Fields, and promote sustainable & responsible chemistry.

Thank you very much for reading my post. I look forward to reading from you.
I think overall your profile is really strong. You have an interesting perspective to contribute and impressive leadership accomplishments. I think if you can show that you are committed to taking the program seriously and developing professionally, and have clear reasons for why now is the right time for you, you should be in good shape. But again, I do think it's worth checking that 10 year requirement with MIT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Background and nationality: White male, U.S. citizen
Undergrad Information: Cornell ILR (3.79, honors)
GMAT: 730 (Q47, V44, IR 8, AWA 6)
Work experience and leadership: 3 years at top boutique investment bank (Evercore/Moelis), 3 years at new-ish private equity fund ($500mm latest fund). Led financial and operational turnaround of our largest portfolio company. Led distressed recapitalization of this portfolio company. Significant time spent working directly with portfolio companies to execute growth plans. Also the standard PE model building, document negotiation, presentation making. Recs from managing partner of fund and CEO of portfolio company whose turnaround/recap I led.
Community and others: Associate Board of local charity, secured sponsorships representing 25% of budget for annual fundraiser. Volunteer translator.
Post MBA goals: Transition to turnaround operations/turnaround operational investing (either private or public market).
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi baraze!

You've got a really strong profile and I think you'll be competitive at Sloan. Your academic background is great (I know Cornell's ILR school is well-regarded), and your GMAT is excellent too! Sounds like your work experience is strong too -- you made a difficult switch from a boutique bank to PE and I like that direct experience you've had with portfolio companies, and I assume very senior level exposure given the nature of your work. Very clear goals too, and the community service is great to see, especially in a leadership role. So all in all, I see no concerns in your profile.

Focus on engaging with Sloan - talking to students/alums, visiting if you haven't already. In your application, use your cover letter to emphasize the leadership you've taken and impact you've had on turning around portfolio companies, and then take a more lighthearted approach to the intro video so they can get to know you as a person.

Best of luck!
Kate

baraze wrote:
Background and nationality: White male, U.S. citizen
Undergrad Information: Cornell ILR (3.79, honors)
GMAT: 730 (Q47, V44, IR 8, AWA 6)
Work experience and leadership: 3 years at top boutique investment bank (Evercore/Moelis), 3 years at new-ish private equity fund ($500mm latest fund). Led financial and operational turnaround of our largest portfolio company. Led distressed recapitalization of this portfolio company. Significant time spent working directly with portfolio companies to execute growth plans. Also the standard PE model building, document negotiation, presentation making. Recs from managing partner of fund and CEO of portfolio company whose turnaround/recap I led.
Community and others: Associate Board of local charity, secured sponsorships representing 25% of budget for annual fundraiser. Volunteer translator.
Post MBA goals: Transition to turnaround operations/turnaround operational investing (either private or public market).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hello all,

Hope everyone's doing well. I am writing to seek an evaluation of my profile and check its suitability to the Sloan Fellow program. I have given the details below.

GMAT Score: 760 (Q:50, V:47, IR:8, AWA:5)
Total Work Experience (in years): 10
Undergraduate Institution: BITS Pilani (India)

Work Experience:
I am an engineer-turned-entrepreneur with ten years’ of diverse experience in building internet-based businesses spanning across education, e-Commerce and the not-for-profit sectors. I began my career as a Software Developer at Satyam Computers, a publicly-listed technology firm where I managed a team of 4 to build the Agent management system for State Farm Insurance, a Fortune-500 company.
Over the past eight years, I have worked on three different start-ups, two of which were co-founded by me. In 2009, I launched an educational consulting firm that counselled students on various career avenues and trained them on job skills. I was responsible to handle 12-member team that conducted workshops in over 200 schools impacting 10000+ students and partnered with the local government to guide underprivileged children. Could not monetize the venture sufficiently and had to shut it down three years later.
I co-founded a food-tech start-up in 2012 that accepted orders for restaurants and delivered them at the customer’s doorstep. I built the company from the ground to successfully deliver over 400 orders a day and a GMV crossing $600,000. After bootstrapping the business for two years, I sold the company to the India-based technology vendor of Seamless.
I have been working for the past two years on an internet platform for the social sector that connects the various stakeholders such as NGOs, Donors, Volunteers and development professionals.

Post MBA:
I plan to transition to the Venture Capital/Private Equity sector and use my diverse entrepreneurial experience to identify and support disruptive new business ideas.

Thank You!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mk10071986,

Yes, I think you have a profile that's quite suitable for the Sloan Fellows program. The program is an executive level program but unlike many exec MBAs, has the benefit of being full-time and a truly immersive experience. The Sloan Fellows cohort is a carefully crafted, diverse group of leaders who are seeking intense professional growth. You meet the criteria of having 10 or more years experience, and I think they will really value your past leadership experience and perspective you can bring in starting your ventures. I think your interest in innovative technologies will be a strong fit with the program too. And your GMAT score is excellent.

Best of luck!
Kate

mk10071986 wrote:
Hello all,

Hope everyone's doing well. I am writing to seek an evaluation of my profile and check its suitability to the Sloan Fellow program. I have given the details below.

GMAT Score: 760 (Q:50, V:47, IR:8, AWA:5)
Total Work Experience (in years): 10
Undergraduate Institution: BITS Pilani (India)

Work Experience:
I am an engineer-turned-entrepreneur with ten years’ of diverse experience in building internet-based businesses spanning across education, e-Commerce and the not-for-profit sectors. I began my career as a Software Developer at Satyam Computers, a publicly-listed technology firm where I managed a team of 4 to build the Agent management system for State Farm Insurance, a Fortune-500 company.
Over the past eight years, I have worked on three different start-ups, two of which were co-founded by me. In 2009, I launched an educational consulting firm that counselled students on various career avenues and trained them on job skills. I was responsible to handle 12-member team that conducted workshops in over 200 schools impacting 10000+ students and partnered with the local government to guide underprivileged children. Could not monetize the venture sufficiently and had to shut it down three years later.
I co-founded a food-tech start-up in 2012 that accepted orders for restaurants and delivered them at the customer’s doorstep. I built the company from the ground to successfully deliver over 400 orders a day and a GMV crossing $600,000. After bootstrapping the business for two years, I sold the company to the India-based technology vendor of Seamless.
I have been working for the past two years on an internet platform for the social sector that connects the various stakeholders such as NGOs, Donors, Volunteers and development professionals.

Post MBA:
I plan to transition to the Venture Capital/Private Equity sector and use my diverse entrepreneurial experience to identify and support disruptive new business ideas.

Thank You!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

Just after some thoughts on my profile.

29 Male from Australia (South Asian background)
Completed a double degree in Commerce and Engineering from a good university in Australia (First Class Honours)
Not taken GMAT yet.

Work Experience
Have worked in a variety of engineering roles in a electricity utility for the last 7 years after graduation.
I have had some experience leading cross functional teams to improve business processes as well as regular engineering work (including project management).
Last few years have been involved extensively in renewable connections.

Extra curriculars
Playing basketball
Coached youth basketball since I was 15.
Leadership and involvement in local religious organization

Goals post MBA
To work in a project development company focusing on renewables with an aim to start my own long term.
I am also interested in LDP programs.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi maze2017,
Thanks for posting! The combination of business and a technical major is great; I hope the GMAT is another data point to prove your strong academic abilities!
As for your work experience, the process improvements and work across departments is great, I know how "political" working in a utility can be sometimes, so hopefully you can show accomplishments that highlight your influencing and networking skills. The extracurriculars are a nice boost too, and your goals make sense, especially with the recent "backup" you can show having some exposure to renewables.
My only concern is that 7 years is on the high end for Sloan (and other top MBA programs in the US). So you may want to also look into accelerated / one-year programs, or even some programs in Europe or Asia where average experience tends to be a little higher. Otherwise, make sure you can justify why you need the full-time, 2 year MBA option at this point in your career.
Best of luck!
Kate

maze2017 wrote:
Hi,

Just after some thoughts on my profile.

29 Male from Australia (South Asian background)
Completed a double degree in Commerce and Engineering from a good university in Australia (First Class Honours)
Not taken GMAT yet.

Work Experience
Have worked in a variety of engineering roles in a electricity utility for the last 7 years after graduation.
I have had some experience leading cross functional teams to improve business processes as well as regular engineering work (including project management).
Last few years have been involved extensively in renewable connections.

Extra curriculars
Playing basketball
Coached youth basketball since I was 15.
Leadership and involvement in local religious organization

Goals post MBA
To work in a project development company focusing on renewables with an aim to start my own long term.
I am also interested in LDP programs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q167 V161
Send PM
Please find below my profile for evaluation. Highly appreciate for this great help.
Nationality: Indian; Male 27 yrs

Undergrad: Btech Civil, from 5th ranking National institute of Technology, with CGPA 9.15/10

Work experience: Employed in India's premium Oil &Gas Consultancy (a Public sector undertaking) since 2012 (work exp of 5 yrs)

The entire work exp can be broken down into 2 parts :
1. Construction site experience
a. Posted for 1 year at the esteemed site for Strategic storage of Crude oil (at Mangalore India) wherein facilities were being constructed to store crude in underground caverns. Job responsibilities included contract handling, site inspection (including inspection in underground rock caverns) , quality control, implementation of safety at site.
b. Posted for 1.5 years at a refinery expansion project ( Kochi, India) wherein entrusted with the civil structural works for the important Crude distillation unit of refinery. Job responsibilities included preparation of a green field site, handling of a contract amounting to 35 million USD which involved leading a team of 15 persons, site inspection, progress monitoring & expediting, material inspection within & outside site, billing ( completed billing of the value of 14 million USD) quality control.
2.Design office experience ( work exp 2.5 yrs , continued till date)
a. Leading a team of 6 persons ( for the civil portion) to provide EPCM services for the upcoming Refinery & Petrochemical project in Nigeria ( largest project in entire Africa) Job responsibilities include designing of underground facilities & utilities, preparation of drawings , imparting training to the Nigerian counterparts , progress monitoring, providing assistance to site construction engineers, constant interaction with client.
I don't have any on site International job experience.

GMAT: yet to be taken but targeting a score of 740 to 750

Extracurricular: Not much to show. Have received professional training in Harmonium ( completed 4 professional exams), actively performed in various cultural activities during schooling, during college my team was one among the top 3 teams of west India in the INSDAG competition( an all India competition for steel design)

Post MBA goal : I want to shift from Oil & gas industry ( as all countries are moving from oil towards more environmental friendly options) and enter into strategy consulting and have an inclination to enter into M&A roles ( would explain more efficiently while writing my essays)

Havard & Stanford I believe are too high an expectation given my normal profile. Whether I would be fit for MIT,Columbia, Kellogg, Yale or Ross?

Once again thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 2.9
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey all, hoping for some last minute pointers.

Nationality: Indian; Male 27 yrs (been in Singapore since I was 7, if that matters)

Undergrad: NUS - Computer Engineering/Economics. (3.62/5.0 or 2.9/4.0). This is all due to one extremely bad semester (failed one class and got some Cs and Ds). Take it away (though I doubt AdComs will) and the GPA jumps up to 3.2. Final semester GPA of 3.4

Work experience: MBB consulting focusing on Fintech / Fin Services 2.5years. At well-known investment consultancy (MIT actually was a client) prior to that for 1 year (in a research role)

GMAT: 770 (50Q 47V)

Extracurricular:

in college - executive committee for my faculty's student body, captain of the faculty tennis team, writer in the faculty newspaper.

After college - run an investment club (performance isn't great, but no one needs to know that right? :D) where I teach young freshly graduated professionals the basics of investing. Also do some start-up consulting and pro-bono tutoring on weekends (it didn't used to be pro-bono, I used it to pay my way through college, working 20 hrs a week (which I bring up in the optional essays).

Other: Currently passed CFA L1 & L2, spent a year in Wharton studying business/entrepreneurship during undergrad (got a perfect 4.0 there). Met a director from MIT Media Labs in Singapore who said he'd put a word in - I followed up and he said he had, fingers crossed that my GPA doesn't ruin everything.

Post MBA goal: Move to corp strat at a global bank in the US, leveraging my experience with Fintech strategy in Asia
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tiger03,

You're definitely at a good point in your career to do an MBA and it will open up new industries to you.

Your work experience sounds really strong -- good progression, management experience, diversity in exposure onsite and offsite, plus the exposure to work in Africa sounds really interesting (even if you're not onsite, you're still building awareness of a different/emerging market).

GPA is excellent! GMAT is of course important and I hope you reach your target score. If you do, I think you can target some of the top schools you list, though I agree about the very top ones being out of reach. Make sure you have a balanced list of schools on your list, from stretch (like Sloan I think) to safety (probably Ross, again depends on how GMAT goes).

Extracurriculars do sound light, but you've still got some time til you apply to start something or restart an activity, or accelerate any personal accomplishments you've been wanting to do. Anything to show you have involvement and passions outside of work.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Kate

Tiger03 wrote:
Please find below my profile for evaluation. Highly appreciate for this great help.
Nationality: Indian; Male 27 yrs

Undergrad: Btech Civil, from 5th ranking National institute of Technology, with CGPA 9.15/10

Work experience: Employed in India's premium Oil &Gas Consultancy (a Public sector undertaking) since 2012 (work exp of 5 yrs)

The entire work exp can be broken down into 2 parts :
1. Construction site experience
a. Posted for 1 year at the esteemed site for Strategic storage of Crude oil (at Mangalore India) wherein facilities were being constructed to store crude in underground caverns. Job responsibilities included contract handling, site inspection (including inspection in underground rock caverns) , quality control, implementation of safety at site.
b. Posted for 1.5 years at a refinery expansion project ( Kochi, India) wherein entrusted with the civil structural works for the important Crude distillation unit of refinery. Job responsibilities included preparation of a green field site, handling of a contract amounting to 35 million USD which involved leading a team of 15 persons, site inspection, progress monitoring & expediting, material inspection within & outside site, billing ( completed billing of the value of 14 million USD) quality control.
2.Design office experience ( work exp 2.5 yrs , continued till date)
a. Leading a team of 6 persons ( for the civil portion) to provide EPCM services for the upcoming Refinery & Petrochemical project in Nigeria ( largest project in entire Africa) Job responsibilities include designing of underground facilities & utilities, preparation of drawings , imparting training to the Nigerian counterparts , progress monitoring, providing assistance to site construction engineers, constant interaction with client.
I don't have any on site International job experience.

GMAT: yet to be taken but targeting a score of 740 to 750

Extracurricular: Not much to show. Have received professional training in Harmonium ( completed 4 professional exams), actively performed in various cultural activities during schooling, during college my team was one among the top 3 teams of west India in the INSDAG competition( an all India competition for steel design)

Post MBA goal : I want to shift from Oil & gas industry ( as all countries are moving from oil towards more environmental friendly options) and enter into strategy consulting and have an inclination to enter into M&A roles ( would explain more efficiently while writing my essays)

Havard & Stanford I believe are too high an expectation given my normal profile. Whether I would be fit for MIT,Columbia, Kellogg, Yale or Ross?

Once again thank you for your help.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ownersinc!

I'm assuming you've applied already, so not sure how much help this will be :-)

Yes, it does matter that you've lived in Singapore, great to show experience living in different countries.

That's unfortunate about your GPA. Since it's just one semester, hopefully the adcom will be more forgiving of it. Did you offer an explanation in the optional info section? The GMAT and CFA will help a lot with counteracting the GPA.

Your work experience sounds great, and your goals make sense too. The "extras" are likely to help you, as I think your experience teaching/advising others will be valued.

Hope you have good news re. an interview invite soon!
Best,
Kate

ownersinc wrote:

Nationality: Indian; Male 27 yrs (been in Singapore since I was 7, if that matters)

Undergrad: NUS - Computer Engineering/Economics. (3.62/5.0 or 2.9/4.0). This is all due to one extremely bad semester (failed one class and got some Cs and Ds). Take it away (though I doubt AdComs will) and the GPA jumps up to 3.2. Final semester GPA of 3.4

Work experience: MBB consulting focusing on Fintech / Fin Services 2.5years. At well-known investment consultancy (MIT actually was a client) prior to that for 1 year (in a research role)

Extracurricular:

in college - executive committee for my faculty's student body, captain of the faculty tennis team, writer in the faculty newspaper.

After college - run an investment club (performance isn't great, but no one needs to know that right? :D) where I teach young freshly graduated professionals the basics of investing. Also do some start-up consulting and pro-bono tutoring on weekends (it didn't used to be pro-bono, I used it to pay my way through college, working 20 hrs a week (which I bring up in the optional essays).

Other: Currently passed CFA L1 & L2, spent a year in Wharton studying business/entrepreneurship during undergrad (got a perfect 4.0 there). Met a director from MIT Media Labs in Singapore who said he'd put a word in - I followed up and he said he had, fingers crossed that my GPA doesn't ruin everything.

Post MBA goal: Move to corp strat at a global bank in the US, leveraging my experience with Fintech strategy in Asia
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 2.9
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks Kate!

I did submit, now comes that agonising waiting period :-D

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi ownersinc!

I'm assuming you've applied already, so not sure how much help this will be :-)

Yes, it does matter that you've lived in Singapore, great to show experience living in different countries.

That's unfortunate about your GPA. Since it's just one semester, hopefully the adcom will be more forgiving of it. Did you offer an explanation in the optional info section? The GMAT and CFA will help a lot with counteracting the GPA.

Your work experience sounds great, and your goals make sense too. The "extras" are likely to help you, as I think your experience teaching/advising others will be valued.

Hope you have good news re. an interview invite soon!
Best,
Kate

ownersinc wrote:

Extracurricular:

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5  ...  21   
Moderators:
Sloan and Fuqua Moderator
12 posts
Booth & Sloan Moderator
41 posts