Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 07:54 It is currently 14 May 2024, 07:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13471 [7]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1529 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5633 [2]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Re: Is standard deviation of Set A > the standard deviation of Set B? 1) [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi
The answer should be E.

if set A = {1,2,2,3} B ={1,2,3}, SD = SD of A = 0.707, SD of B = 0.816

if set A = {1,1,2,3,3} B ={1,2,3}, SD of A = 0.894, SD of B = 0.816

Hence even after combining Statement A & B, it is not sufficient to answer .

Answer is E

Please clarify and change the OA

GMATinsight wrote:
Is standard deviation of Set A > the standard deviation of Set B?

1) Range of Set A = Range of Set B
2) Number of terms in Set A > Number of terms in Set B

Source: https://www.GMATinsight.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
Re: Is standard deviation of Set A > the standard deviation of Set B? 1) [#permalink]
Kudos
I think it should be Answer E.

Standard deviation is the dispersion around the mean. Knowing the relative ranges and/or number of terms does not help us find the mean, nor the dispersion around it.

Let's take 2 examples:
Set A can have 2 data elements, 1 at each extreme, and the rest of the data elements can be right at the mean.
Set B can have all of its data elements at its 2 extremes.
This means (standard deviation of A) < (standard deviation of B)

Or

Set B can have 2 data elements, 1 at each extreme, and the rest of the data elements can be right at the mean.
Set A can have all of its data points at its 2 extremes.
This means (standard deviation of A) > (standard deviation of B)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1529 [0]
Send PM
gmatbusters wrote:
Hi
The answer should be E.

Answer is E

GMATinsight wrote:

Hi gmatbusters

Usually in a set when we say number of terms, it refers to set's cardinal number. so as per statement 2, set's A cardinal number is more than that of set B.

However the illustration that you took, the cardinal number of Set A=Set B (i.e. 1,2,3 in both cases), hence you are getting S.D of A more than S.D of B.

Hi GMATinsight

Kindly clarify Statement 2 of the question because as per your OA it should refer to set's cardinal number (i.e unique elements). In my solution I have assumed that the terms are different and hence got the OA as C
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5633 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Sir

1) In statistics question involving mean, standard deviation etc, existence of repeated elements is very common.
We have to take care of repeated elements. Hence I feel we need to take the case of repeated elements also.

2) Secondly if we take all elements different, then also We can have SD of Set A>SD of Set B
eg:
If Set A = {1,1.1,1.2,2,2.8,2.99,3} ; SD = 0.851
If Set B = { 1,2,3} ; SD = 0.816

Hence SD of Set A> SD of Set B

Answer Should be E.

niks18 wrote:
gmatbusters wrote:
Hi
The answer should be E.

Answer is E

GMATinsight wrote:

Hi gmatbusters

Usually in a set when we say number of terms, it refers to set's cardinal number. so as per statement 2, set's A cardinal number is more than that of set B.

However the illustration that you took, the cardinal number of Set A=Set B (i.e. 1,2,3 in both cases), hence you are getting S.D of A more than S.D of B.

Hi GMATinsight

Kindly clarify Statement 2 of the question because as per your OA it should refer to set's cardinal number (i.e unique elements). In my solution I have assumed that the terms are different and hence got the OA as C
GMAT Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
We can see this like this :
The standard deviation is a widely used concept in statistics and it tells how much variation (spread or dispersion) is in the data set.
Even we have the same range, but since we have number of elements greater in Set A, the new elements in Set A can be
1) Closer to mean : it gives lower SD
2) Closer to the extreme value of set: It gives higher SD.

Hence the SD of Set A can be lower or higher than SD of Set B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:

Hi GMATinsight

I think the answer should be E.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
Dear Sir

1) In statistics question involving mean, standard deviation etc, existence of repeated elements is very common.
We have to take care of repeated elements. Hence I feel we need to take the case of repeated elements also.

2) Secondly if we take all elements different, then also We can have SD of Set A>SD of Set B
eg:

Answer Should be E.

Hi gmatbusters

At first I am no "Sir" buddy, don't make me so old :-D
This is where the confusion is about (and forget about my logic on "number of terms", I guess I was sleeping when I did not realize about non-integer numbers :sad: )

Usually in Statistics we use the formula for Standard Deviation of a "Sample" which is given below -
Attachment:
S.D_Sample.jpg
S.D_Sample.jpg [ 12.56 KiB | Viewed 3978 times ]

Whereas GMAT uses the formula for Standard Deviation of a "Population" which ignores "Bessel's Correction" i.e the use of \(n-1\), instead of \(n\)
Attachment:
S.D Population Formula.png
S.D Population Formula.png [ 12.46 KiB | Viewed 3981 times ]

So if you are using S.D for population then mathematically you Can get higher S.D for set A than for Set B. But here the author is using S.D for Sample.

unfortunately Mr. Bill Gates (i.e M.S Excel) also uses S.D for sample formula :-D :-D . Generally S.D calculation is not asked in GMAT and while solving this question I used Descriptive statistics tool in excel to calculate S.D, hence I was always getting S.D of A< S.D of B.

Here's your example and you can see how the solution changes -
Attachment:
S.D.jpg
S.D.jpg [ 89.66 KiB | Viewed 3979 times ]

Logically speaking as the number of terms in Set A & B are not mentioned, that is they could be a infinite set, so S.D of Sample formula should be used. Also as the boundary of both the sets is fixed and Set A has more elements than Set B so ideally S.D of A<S.D of B

Now it is up to owner of the question GMATinsight to clarify the logic behind the question and solution.

In GMAT although the calculation of S.D is not asked but if required we will have to use formula given in OG i.e. S.D for Population. Hence Your calculation is correct, but the logic behind the question and solution is debatable.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5633 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi

Actually, I have taken non integer values arbitrarily. But we can prove the same by integers value also.

Secondly the formula as per GMAT purview is for denominator " n" only.

It was really a nice discussion, it really refreshed my old school concepts.

Thanks to the question.

It seems no one likes my insights, it is quite evident from the absence of any kudos.:)

niks18 wrote:
Quote:
Dear Sir

eg:

Answer Should be E.

Hi gmatbusters

At first I am no "Sir" buddy, don't make me so old :-D
This is where the confusion is about (and forget about my logic on "number of terms", I guess I was sleeping when I did not realize about non-integer numbers :sad: )

Usually in Statistics we use the formula for Standard Deviation of a "Sample" which is given below -
Attachment:
S.D_Sample.jpg

Whereas GMAT uses the formula for Standard Deviation of a "Population" which ignores "Bessel's Correction" i.e the use of \(n-1\), instead of \(n\)
Attachment:
S.D Population Formula.png

So if you are using S.D for population then mathematically you Can get higher S.D for set A than for Set B. But here the author is using S.D for Sample.

unfortunately Mr. Bill Gates (i.e M.S Excel) also uses S.D for sample formula :-D :-D . Generally S.D calculation is not asked in GMAT and while solving this question I used Descriptive statistics tool in excel to calculate S.D, hence I was always getting S.D of A< S.D of B.

Here's your example and you can see how the solution changes -
Attachment:
S.D.jpg

Logically speaking as the number of terms in Set A & B are not mentioned, that is they could be a infinite set, so S.D of Sample formula should be used. Also as the boundary of both the sets is fixed and Set A has more elements than Set B so ideally S.D of A<S.D of B

Now it is up to owner of the question GMATinsight to clarify the logic behind the question and solution.

In GMAT although the calculation of S.D is not asked but if required we will have to use formula given in OG i.e. S.D for Population. Hence Your calculation is correct, but the logic behind the question and solution is debatable.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:

Bunuel chetan2u

Can you please provide the detailed explanation for this question?

Thanks.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32503 [1]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harshgmat wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:

Bunuel chetan2u

Thanks.

The answer would be E..
SD is the spread of terms around the mean...
It is either 0, when all terms are same or >0..

1) Range of set A = Range of set B
Let the numbers be 1,3,5 in set A and 5,7,9
Range is same and even SD is same as same spread
A is 1,2,3,4,5 and B is 5,7,9
SD of A>SD of B
A is 5,7,9 and B is 1,2,3,4,5
SD of A<SD of B
Insufficient

2) numbers of term in A>number of terms in B
Range not known
1,1,1,1,1 in A and 1,2,3 in B
SD of A<SD of B
1,1,1,1,1 in A and 1,1,1 in B
SD are same
1,2,3,4,5 in A and 1,1,1 in B
SD of A>SD of B
Insufficient

Combined
1,1,1,1,1 in A and 1,1,1 in B.......same SD
1,3,3,3,3,3,5 in A and 1,1,2,2,4,5 in B.....SD of A<SD of B
1,2,3,4,5 in A and 1,3,5 in B.......SD of A> SD of B
Insufficient

E

Note :- number of terms in sets and same range will not be sufficient to talk about spread of terms and in turn relations of SD of sets. SD is dependent on spread of numbers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 589
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Basically, we are trying to find out how closely spaced are the elements of set A compared to those of set B.

Statement 1 gives us that the range of set A and that of set B is the same. But it does not tell us about the number of elements in Set A or Set B; it also does not give any information on Mean of Set A and Set B. Therefore, insufficient.

Statement 2 gives that the number of elements in Set A is greater than that in Set B. However, it does not tell us about any range of elements in Sets A and B or about the mean of respective sets. Hence, insufficient.

Both Statement 1 & 2 combined: We know the range of set A and set B is the same. We know that the number of elements in set A is greater than that in set B. This shows that within the same maximum and minimum elements, i.e. within the same boundary limits, the number of elements in set A is greater than that in set B. This naturally shows that elements in A are more closely grouped than the elements in B. Thus, the Standard Deviation of set A is smaller than that of set B. This gives us a definite NO answer.
Thus, sufficient.

Answer C.
GMAT Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Please see above discussions, the Answer shall be E.

The standard deviation is a widely used concept in statistics and it tells how much variation (spread or dispersion) is in the data set.
Even we have the same range, but since we have number of elements greater in Set A, the new elements in Set A can be
1) Closer to mean : it gives lower SD
2) Closer to the extreme value of set: It gives higher SD.

Hence the SD of Set A can be lower or higher than SD of Set B.

Heisenberg12 wrote:
Basically, we are trying to find out how closely spaced are the elements of set A compared to those of set B.

Statement 1 gives us that the range of set A and that of set B is the same. But it does not tell us about the number of elements in Set A or Set B; it also does not give any information on Mean of Set A and Set B. Therefore, insufficient.

Statement 2 gives that the number of elements in Set A is greater than that in Set B. However, it does not tell us about any range of elements in Sets A and B or about the mean of respective sets. Hence, insufficient.

Both Statement 1 & 2 combined: We know the range of set A and set B is the same. We know that the number of elements in set A is greater than that in set B. This shows that within the same maximum and minimum elements, i.e. within the same boundary limits, the number of elements in set A is greater than that in set B. This naturally shows that elements in A are more closely grouped than the elements in B. Thus, the Standard Deviation of set A is smaller than that of set B. This gives us a definite NO answer.
Thus, sufficient.

Answer C.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Is standard deviation of Set A > the standard deviation of Set B? 1) [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
Harshgmat wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:

Bunuel chetan2u

Thanks.

The answer would be E..
SD is the spread of terms around the mean...
It is either 0, when all terms are same or >0..

1) Range of set A = Range of set B
Let the numbers be 1,3,5 in set A and 5,7,9
Range is same and even SD is same as same spread
A is 1,2,3,4,5 and B is 5,7,9
SD of A>SD of B
A is 5,7,9 and B is 1,2,3,4,5
SD of A<SD of B
Insufficient

2) numbers of term in A>number of terms in B
Range not known
1,1,1,1,1 in A and 1,2,3 in B
SD of A<SD of B
1,1,1,1,1 in A and 1,1,1 in B
SD are same
1,2,3,4,5 in A and 1,1,1 in B
SD of A>SD of B
Insufficient

Combined
1,1,1,1,1 in A and 1,1,1 in B.......same SD
1,3,3,3,3,3,5 in A and 1,1,2,2,4,5 in B.....SD of A<SD of B
1,2,3,4,5 in A and 1,3,5 in B.......SD of A> SD of B
Insufficient

E

Note :- number of terms in sets and same range will not be sufficient to talk about spread of terms and in turn relations of SD of sets. SD is dependent on spread of numbers

Hi chetan2u

In my opinion this is an ambiguous question and should not be part of GMAT discussions. As per data analysis tool SD of set A will never be greater than SD of set B. Here are the SD's of your illustration as per Descriptive statistics which is generally used in businesses because its provided in MS Excel

Attachment:
SD1.jpg
SD1.jpg [ 129.37 KiB | Viewed 3438 times ]

Even if you plot the data of your second example in a scatter plot you will get something like this which illustrates that SD of B> SD of A because data are more spread in Set B than Set A

Attachment:
SD2.jpg
SD2.jpg [ 39.74 KiB | Viewed 3474 times ]

So if we use MS excel then in no case SD of A>SD of B which gives us the answer as Option C

BUT if we use the formula for SD as used in GMAT then we can get SD of A> SD of B which will lead to Option E as an answer.

There are two different formula for SD, SD for sample and SD for Universe as explained in my earlier post, hence there will be different results.

Hence I feel this is NOT A GMAT question as it leaves ambiguity and GMAT never gives a question which could be challenged, hence should be archived

In the hindsight suppose, if we have a situation where we have two identical rooms (boundaries are same i.e the range), in one room there are 10 people and in the other room there are 3 people, then obviously there will be more spread in the second room than in the first room.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93258 posts