Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [14]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [0]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Re: More and more academic institutions are using citation analysis as the [#permalink]
Can anyone help with this? I can understand why option B, C, D and E is wrong. But I am not sure what makes A correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Re: More and more academic institutions are using citation analysis as the [#permalink]
Kudos
souvikgmat1990 wrote:
Can anyone help with this? I can understand why option B, C, D and E is wrong. But I am not sure what makes A correct.

Hey souvikgmat1990

Argument states that
- Citation analysis is a method involving counting the no.of citations/references to an author's work in journals.
- The above method is used by institutions to measure the quality of research papers.
- However, quantity does not equal to quality as scientists will concentrate on short term research over long term ones to increase the citations of their works.

A - In general scientific research is not referred to in journals until the research is completed.

Only when a research is completed, it is referred in journals. So to increase the research/no.of citations in journals, there's a chance that scientists will choose to complete multiple short term projects over long term ones. So this argument strengthens author's claim. Hope the post helps.

Cheers!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
More and more academic institutions are using citation analysis as the main technique for measuring the quality of scientific research. This technique involves a yearly scanning of scientific journals to count the number of references to a researcher’s work. Although academic institutions want to encourage good research, use of citation analysis actually works against this goal since scientists seeking to maximize citation counts will avoid multiyear projects in favor of short-term projects in faddish areas.

Type- strengthen
Boil it down- citation analysis leads to bad research
Premise- Increase in usage of citation analysis to measure the quality of research

(A) In general scientific research is not referred to in journals until the research is completed. - Correct - If there's no way to get cited until you finish your research, then you definitely can't get a high CA by engaging in really long-term projects.
(B) Areas of science that are faddish at some point are not necessarily lacking in significance. - Incorrect - This relates to the idea that the faddish work can be significant. But we would already have assumed that to be true. The bigger issue is that we're incentivizing short-term work.
(C) Research that is initially criticized in scientific journals sometimes turns out to be groundbreaking work. - Irrelevant
(D) Scientists are sometimes hostile to interim assessments of ongoing research since such assessments might threaten the continuity of funding. - we don't actually know yet if the "interim assessments" in question would allow a piece of research to be cited. Compare to answer choice (A), where it directly says "referred to in journals." These interim assessments might not have anything to do with journals, in which case this answer would be completely irrelevant.
(E) Scientists often cite their colleagues’ work when they think it is unfairly neglected by the scientific establishment. - Incorrect - another reason why the use of citation analysis might be bad

Answer A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Conc: Citing analysis is bad for quality of research because researchers look for shorter span projects.
Prethinking: shorter ones are not quality work.
Strengthener: something that links short span to bad quality.

(D) Scientists are sometimes hostile to interim assessments of ongoing research since such assessments might threaten the continuity of funding. Who cares what researchers think of interruption in their work. OUT
Takeaway: Keep conclusion in mind. Spent around a minute to grasp the passage itself. Doe not really hirt to spend time with the passage, I feel.

in D, of course researchers will choose shorter work if they think the longer work will cause interruption. What do you mean by 'who cares'? It actually does strengthen, albeit incorrectly because the 'assessment' is different from 'publication'. If publication led to assessment, this would definitely be a correct answer, however, we don't know if it does.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
From Powerscore:

The author claims this is true because scientists seeking to maximize citation counts will avoid multiyear projects, seeking instead short-term projects. Why is that? One idea, and I think this is THE idea behind the author's argument, is that scientists will not engage in multiyear projects because, while they're completing those projects, there's nothing to cite - the research can only be cited when the project is finished. Thus, for years, scientists will be working on something that cannot help pad their citation numbers, and thus citation analysis will undervalue the contributions of those scientists. That argument seems to rely on what I said earlier - there's nothing to cite until the project is finished. If the project's partial results could be cited earlier, then there's much less reasons for scientists to avoid such projects, as those projects would then also offer an opportunity for padding citation numbers. This is why answer choice (A) is good for the argument - research can't get cited until it's completed.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts