Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 09:42 It is currently 02 May 2024, 09:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
When is the SF admit weekend?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
Hadamard wrote:
When is the SF admit weekend?

It is a whole week w/c April 8.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Probably must have been asked and answered somewhere in some form. But asking again for latest perspective -
Have a wife and daughter to support, Already have a MBA from FT under rank 30 school, Mid-Level Manager, Don't see my game strong for future.

For a self-sponsored candidate how easy is it to find a senior management job in the US? Any stats or experiences chatting to alums would help. Don't feel like investing $200K (with Visa being a lottery) in a program with no career support.

'A personal network that spans industries and oceans, enhanced skills and capabilities, and the confidence to lead and make a difference on a global scale' (the only sell on MIT website) - doesn't cut the chase as probably taking a risk on entrepreneurship (on a year's sabbatical) would get me more than that (given that I already have a MBA - albeit not a life changing one)

Probably need credible insights (and hence motivation) to apply for next year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
avinashm wrote:
Probably must have been asked and answered somewhere in some form. But asking again for latest perspective -
Have a wife and daughter to support, Already have a MBA from FT under rank 30 school, Mid-Level Manager, Don't see my game strong for future.

For a self-sponsored candidate how easy is it to find a senior management job in the US? Any stats or experiences chatting to alums would help. Don't feel like investing $200K (with Visa being a lottery) in a program with no career support.

'A personal network that spans industries and oceans, enhanced skills and capabilities, and the confidence to lead and make a difference on a global scale' (the only sell on MIT website) - doesn't cut the chase as probably taking a risk on entrepreneurship (on a year's sabbatical) would get me more than that (given that I already have a MBA - albeit not a life changing one)

Do you have any network in the USA or will this be a cold-move?

Career services mentioned that there are three changes students make:
1) geography change
2) industry change
3) functional role change

Making one change post graduation is easier while changing all three is ridiculously hard.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hadamard wrote:
avinashm wrote:

Do you have any network in the USA or will this be a cold-move?

Career services mentioned that there are three changes students make:
1) geography change
2) industry change
3) functional role change

Making one change post graduation is easier while changing all three is ridiculously hard.

Posted from my mobile device

Have heard that before. It would be a cold move. But that point again is kinda BS. Geography is already changed when we spend an year in the country. Industry change is not necessarily needed. Functional role change - well at least that should happen else what's the use of such a costly, diverse and leading program - in fact it should be easier given we end up upgrading skills, tool sets, thinking process and leadership etc. Enough of my rant but just counting 3 things and making it look tough is lame. Program should have marketing, network, relationships, internship routes, competitions et al to make it possible. Guess it's more suitable for sponsored candidates.
School Moderator - Stanford MSx
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.77
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Anirudh!

So what was the final outcome of your interview for SFMBA.

I also have a similar profile as yours (Engineer, age 34, 10 years in Oil & Gas service Companies), so I am quite curious to know...

Thanks

Anirudh10584 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
Anirudh10584 wrote:
Had my Skype interview yesterday...Fingers crossed!!

So, you went for it?! Would like to know your thoughts about changing from Sloan to Sloan Fellow. What has been your own research around it?

And how was the interview?

Yeah....went for it. Actually I knew for my profile cracking a regular 2 year program will be a challenge. i just wanted to give it a try as I fell in the grey region: too late for regular and too early for executive programs. Secondly, I am a self sponsored candidate and limited career development services in fellows / executive programs was a deterrent for me. I have a family to support, wife and daughter.

However, with fellows interview offer on table, I had a detailed discussion with a couple of SFMBA alumni. They calmed a lot of nerves and explained the huge difference in the program experience due the difference in cohort (all of us know this but hearing from recent alumni helped a lot). Also a lot of people manage to find jobs on their own and MIT brand name is a huge enabler.

Thirdly, I am an engineer. When I grow old, I don't want to tell my grandchildren a story in which I had an interview offer from THE MIT and I didn't pursue :)

The interview was pretty straight forward and on expected lines. I think I did ok....lets see.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72973 [0]
Given Kudos: 18903
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All Sloan (MIT) Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All Sloan (MIT) Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All Sloan (MIT) Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated Sloan (MIT) Forum to dive into all things related to Sloan (MIT)'s MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts