GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.95
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2019, 01:09
MBADecoder wrote:
Anirudh10584 wrote:
Hi,

I am a Petroleum Drilling Engineer from India. 10+ years of work experience and 35 years of age. GMAT 750 (Q49, V42). I had applied in R2 for the Sloan MBA program. I got a reply from adcom on 2nd March 2019 that my profile is more suited for the fellows program and offered me an interview invite. I have a couple of queries:

1. I understand this would be a R3 invite for the SFMBA program starting June 2019. In this case, as an international candidate, do i have sufficient time left for all the admission and relocation formalities. I would be moving with my wife and 3 year old daughter.

2. I will not be sponsored by my company. Choosing this program means huge financial liabilities. Is it advisable for me and is there an assured return on investment. Couldn't find much information on these lines.

Would be grateful if someone can help.

Regards,
Anirudh

Hi Anirudh,

To answer another poster who replied to your message, the adcoms probably sees you fit better with the Sloan fellowship program as compared to the 2-year MBA. Now I appreciate the adcom for straight away not rejecting you and directng you to the right MBA program. This is very important for some reasons- 1. the two year versus one year MBA(which may be more suited to you given your age, number of work experience); 2. you will be in a class among peers and senior professionals, who will add more to your learning and make your MBA experience more relevant; 3. the job opportunities will also vary between the two MBA programs.

The timing ofcourse is crucial. If you have to submit a new application, do the interview, wait for an admit and then apply for a visa, then all of this may not be possible to complete by June. I will recommend you reach out directly to the adcom and ask them how you can work this out for this year's intake. Networking matters and if they are aware of your situation, they are likely to help or guide you even for next year.

Thanks MBADECODER :thumbup:
Stanford MSx ThreadMaster
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 18:20
I just visited the campus for Ambassador's day and attended same System Dynamics lecture twice. One lecture was with MBA cohort and second one was SFMBA cohort.

AND BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Here are my observations about the behavior of two cohorts while discussing PeopleExpress Airlines / Don Burr case using System Dynamics method:

- Roughly half the MBAs read the case study, while most of the SFMBAs had read it.
- Hardly any comments from MBAs, while SFMBA made the case livelier with relevant comments.
- MBAs added generic things to the model like fuel, tickets, etc. While SFMBA added some in-depth things like capital costs, leasing airplane, tiers of tickets, etc.

The difference was quite stark to be honest.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 10:25
Just found out one interesting thing.

Talked to an SFMBA alum. MIT Sloan Fellows do not get career support like those in 2-year MBA.

Stanford MSx does mention the career supports in the program website.

Posted from my mobile device
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 21:25
sloanfellowsapp wrote:
Just found out one interesting thing.

Talked to an SFMBA alum. MIT Sloan Fellows do not get career support like those in 2-year MBA.

Stanford MSx does mention the career supports in the program website.

SFMBA team mentioned this will be changing soon. Now more and more students in SFMBA are self funded rather than corporate sponsored, so SFMBA have started building out the career services more starting this year.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 03:26
Had my Skype interview yesterday...Fingers crossed!!
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 05:13
Anirudh10584 wrote:

So, you went for it?! Would like to know your thoughts about changing from Sloan to Sloan Fellow. What has been your own research around it?

And how was the interview?

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 10:56
MBADecoder wrote:
Anirudh10584 wrote:

So, you went for it?! Would like to know your thoughts about changing from Sloan to Sloan Fellow. What has been your own research around it?

And how was the interview?

Yeah....went for it. Actually I knew for my profile cracking a regular 2 year program will be a challenge. i just wanted to give it a try as I fell in the grey region: too late for regular and too early for executive programs. Secondly, I am a self sponsored candidate and limited career development services in fellows / executive programs was a deterrent for me. I have a family to support, wife and daughter.

However, with fellows interview offer on table, I had a detailed discussion with a couple of SFMBA alumni. They calmed a lot of nerves and explained the huge difference in the program experience due the difference in cohort (all of us know this but hearing from recent alumni helped a lot). Also a lot of people manage to find jobs on their own and MIT brand name is a huge enabler.

Thirdly, I am an engineer. When I grow old, I don't want to tell my grandchildren a story in which I had an interview offer from THE MIT and I didn't pursue :)

The interview was pretty straight forward and on expected lines. I think I did ok....lets see.
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 21:10
Anirudh10584 wrote:

Thirdly, I am an engineer. When I grow old, I don't want to tell my grandchildren a story in which I had an interview offer from THE MIT and I didn't pursue :)

This reason stands out among all others. :-D :-D

All the best and keep us informed.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 19:29
Just heard that adcom has started calling R3 admits. Congratulations to those admitted, and fingers crossed for the rest of us!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 00:21
Hadamard wrote:
Just heard that adcom has started calling R3 admits. Congratulations to those admitted, and fingers crossed for the rest of us!

Really? Or it just released those waitlisted?

I got an email said it would be out online on 29 Mar.

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 01:48
Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 03:25
I got the call a couple of hours ago — am admitted! :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 06:45
I just got the call from Rod! Admitted!

B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 14:04
Alright folks, I am out of the race - just saw the rejection letter online. I guess vishalnautiyal780 and I have a very similar background, and he was admitted in R2 so I wouldn't add to the diversity of the class.

Now my only hope is Stanford MSx. Congratulations to the SFMBA admits and good luck for the year ahead!
Denied
27 Mar, 2019
27 Mar 2019, 14:05
Hadamard GMAT: 710, Q48, V56; GPA: 3.41; WE: 180 months; United States; via Portal_update
SFMBA admitted a student with very similar profile as mine in R2, so apply early! [#permalink]
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 00:41
Hi all, I want to thank everyone who’s posted here last year and this year. I’ll help out next year’s applicants for sure.

For those who didn’t get in, don’t lose hope. The next round is in a few months. Take a look at Columbia J-Term which begins its applications in June for 2020 January class. The profiles are very similar to MSX and SF.

I’ll see you all at orientation in a few weeks!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 01:35
badwolfy wrote:
Hi all, I want to thank everyone who’s posted here last year and this year. I’ll help out next year’s applicants for sure.

For those who didn’t get in, don’t lose hope. The next round is in a few months. Take a look at Columbia J-Term which begins its applications in June for 2020 January class. The profiles are very similar to MSX and SF.

I’ll see you all at orientation in a few weeks!

Agree and wish you the best luck to the MSx admission Hadamard.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 02:34
Hadamard wrote:
Alright folks, I am out of the race - just saw the rejection letter online. I guess vishalnautiyal780 and I have a very similar background, and he was admitted in R2 so I wouldn't add to the diversity of the class.

Now my only hope is Stanford MSx. Congratulations to the SFMBA admits and good luck for the year ahead!

This is it. Your profile is very strong, however, they are really looking for diversity in the classroom. They actually encourage re-applying. There is a video on youtube MIT Admissions talking about reapplying.
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 17:09
Phew - made it in to the MSx program. I guess MIT R3 is crazy competitive.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 17:18
Congrats! Enjoy the socratic method and amazing food.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2019, 17:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13    Next  [ 248 posts ] 

Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status