Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V32
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: 600 to 770 gmat-debrief-770-q50-v45. Attention deficiency ESR attached [#permalink]
KGump wrote:
DIII wrote:
eimsav wrote:
What was the number of mistakes you did in quant and verbal?

in verbal, the first section has 8 questions counted towards the score.
the second has 7, third has 7, fourth has 8.

so according to his ESR, he made a total of 3 mistakes in Verbal.

Similarly quant has 7,7,7,7 in its sections respectively.

so according to his ESR, he made a total of 3 mistakes in Quant as well.

Hope that helps.

bb DIII, Any idea why the average difficulty chart shows points for incorrect in the 3rd and 4th quartiles whereas the time pie charts indicate no incorrect questions in the 3rd and 4th quartile.

Actually, he made a mistake in the 4th quartile as evident from the percent correct sections of the ESR. Also, the in the ESR if you make no mistake then it falls down to the middle, that's why there is a node in the 3rd quartile as well, in some ESRs(even mine) I think there is no node if there is no incorrect answer. Maybe they updated the ESR.
The weird thing here is that he made a mistake in the 4th quartile but it is not evident in the pie charts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: 600 to 770 gmat-debrief-770-q50-v45. Attention deficiency ESR attached [#permalink]
DIII wrote:

Actually, he made a mistake in the 4th quartile as evident from the percent correct sections of the ESR. Also, the in the ESR if you make no mistake then it falls down to the middle, that's why there is a node in the 3rd quartile as well, in some ESRs(even mine) I think there is no node if there is no incorrect answer. Maybe they updated the ESR.
The weird thing here is that he made a mistake in the 4th quartile but it is not evident in the pie charts.

Ya, i dont understand why its like that in some ESR's and different in others. Logically, it makes sense to leave the node blank and no sense to mark it randomly at medium. and yeah the mistakes no being evident in the pie chart is what i am confused about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Congrats.Thanks for sharing your story. It is really motivating I am suffering from ADD.Could you just elaborate how you did manage your attention deficiency?
I assume it had been very challenging to prepare for GMAT when you are suffering from attention deficiency which I am facing now.I am planning to give GMAT in the coming June. Any help would be much appreciated.Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Send PM
sijoxavier wrote:
Congrats.Thanks for sharing your story. It is really motivating I am suffering from ADD.Could you just elaborate how you did manage your attention deficiency?
I assume it had been very challenging to prepare for GMAT when you are suffering from attention deficiency which I am facing now.I am planning to give GMAT in the coming June. Any help would be much appreciated.Thank you.

I think it is a mix of technique , physical fitness, and mental fitness. I will suggest having weekly quantifiable targets that really helped me focus on my progress and learn from mistakes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
shekhar_2017 wrote:
sijoxavier wrote:

I think it is a mix of technique , physical fitness, and mental fitness. I will suggest having weekly quantifiable targets that really helped me focus on my progress and learn from mistakes.

shekhar_2017,

What kind of quantifiable targets you mean?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am planning to give GMAT this august .I just started with the preperation can you please help me or give me your daily study timetable.
That would really help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Send PM
niteshbhatia24 wrote:
I am planning to give GMAT this august .I just started with the preperation can you please help me or give me your daily study timetable.
That would really help.

Hey Nitesh,

I didnt have a time table but I had weekly targets of x number of questions with y% accuracy.
Everything else was built to achieve those.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
KGump wrote:
DIII wrote:

Ya, i dont understand why its like that in some ESR's and different in others. Logically, it makes sense to leave the node blank and no sense to mark it randomly at medium. and yeah the mistakes no being evident in the pie chart is what i am confused about.

It sounds like the GMAC is still experimenting quite a bit, so it comes as little surprise that their ESR's are buggy. That said, I personally cannot think of a better way to draw the pink line for a quarter that does not have any wrong answers; a blank node in the middle of a line would make the visual presentation confusing. If you think of any, let me know.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi Shekhar!
I sent you a private message already and very look forward to talking to you more!
I really enjoy Crashcourse but I do think it is of much help for me when I took the TOEFL. It helps me to enhance my listening and writing skills very much due to the various terms and knowledge it provides.
Btw, I confirm with you when reading the GMAT passage in a loosely controlled way, I score better than going through with the strategy of taking note and making outline or something. As I really do enjoy reading and try to understand the passage with very fascinating subject, I feel more comfortable making answer choice.
However, I am trying to identify which kind of questions I am getting at and then look for keywords to guide myself through the thinking process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
Send PM
Bookmarks
Great yaar Shekhar Congrats!!

I have trouble mostly in RC. Let me know how did u improve your RC skils.

Also can you tell which is the best practice material for verbal so that I dont waste time on useless stuff.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
siddharthfrancis wrote:
Great yaar Shekhar Congrats!!

I have trouble mostly in RC. Let me know how did u improve your RC skils.

Also can you tell which is the best practice material for verbal so that I dont waste time on useless stuff.

Hi siddharthfrancis,

Shekhar used the e-GMAT course for his prep. You can sign-up for the free trial here and explore the course to evaluate for yourself if it suits your learning style. E-GMAT is the most reviewed company on GMAT Club and for a good reason. Scholaranium – advanced quizzing platform – is rated higher than GMAT Prep Mocks on GMAT Club.

Regards,
Aditee
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
shekhar_2017 John Green ? seriously ??? ....John Green! :|
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Send PM
s8kadian wrote:
shekhar_2017 John Green ? seriously ??? ....John Green! :|

Well him and the Mongols :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
shekhar_2017 wrote:
GMAT Debrief: - 600 (Q42 to V31) to 770 (Q50, V45)

These are my 2 cents to the awesome community that has helped me on every tiny step. This specifically is for people who like me suffer from attention deficiency, are suckers for short term rewards and are masters in procrastination.

Edit: EDIT

I am attaching both my ESRs on PM requests. I am open to consulting over phone (time permitting). Recent interactions with members has led me to believe that individual understanding of a particular person works the best when sharing experiences/strategies. I have been really away from the forum, 1st year can be crazy. To everyone trying to reach out, my email id is in my score report, send me an email.

The 600 shock:

- I started my preparation for GMAT in April of 2015. My primary source for reference material was second-hand advice from friends who had taken the exam recently and had scored about 640-50. I purchased the full course from Economist and finished it, took their mocks, aalong with other free once from Manhatten and gmatPrep. I got acquainted with gmat club fairly late, about 2 weeks before my first exam and it was way too late. The course from Economist was not really something one can use to aim beyond a 650, also some emotional turbulence did the job of icing on the cake. On 25th of September I came out with a score of 600 utterly disgusted with myself.

Reboot and Restart:

- I decided to give GMAT again in January in heat of the moment, however when things settled down the procrastinator in me took over and I rescheduled GMAT about 4 times before taking it on September 15th. In this whole journey my toughest challenge was self-discipline. I am way too erratic with my schedules, master procrastinator and suffer from attention deficiency. As I write this about 13 tabs are open on browser (Just to make the point). I was casually looking around to solve this issue and my first instinct was to join a classroom course that will enforce the discipline part at least. However, after attending few trial classes in 2 to 3 institute it was apparent for me that this was not something I was looking for. They were doing nothing to build my intuitive reasoning ability and I had learnt the hard way that depending on few crafty hacks will only take me so far.

Study Partners

: So I accidentally found someone looking for a study partner in my area on gmat club. We got acquainted and he shared his collection of Manhattan books with me. I started with CR and liked it , However when I tried the Manhattan quant guides I found them just too boring. With my research I finally decided that I would buy the egmat online self-learning course for both Quant and Verbal in April of 2016. That probably was the best decision I made in my gmat journey. Along with this a friend of mine referred another friend of hers as a study partner. Since she was fairly new to gmat I took up the role of teaching and that really helped in focus on the concepts and saved me from “Oh I know this" trap as I had to explain the rationality of my learning and thought process to her. I would surely recommend this exercise to anyone who has time and resource for this.

Quant Prep :

i) My initial resource was emgat course, I liked the structure and also the quick results. It made me focus on one thing that switching from one resource to other.
    ii) As I was ok in quant apart from making many silly errors, the manhatten books just seemed too easy. The eGmat course however really tried to insult my intelligence and ground me from lesson 1.
    iii) After going through the course, I went through the gmatClub maths book and the Manhatten guides.
    iv) Then I switched to the egmat Scholarium and took quant tests there. The questions are way tougher than actual exam and motivate you keep improving. However, you might find it difficult to solve them within 2 minutes but it is a great exercise.
    v) The emgat questions were great but their solutions are almost always take the straight path so you might not get acquainted with quick tricks like looking at answer choices etc. So it is important to always think if you could be smarter than them.
    vi) Then I switched to EXAM pack 1 to practice from the official resources. The official questions were slightly different from other resource as they always tried to hack into usual tendencies and lure into making a very tempting assumption than make you think of complex solutions.
    vii) The last step was to look through my mistakes and make a list of the errors that I was making.

Verbal :

SC
i) The rave reviews of eGmat SC course were not unfounded. I started from there and practiced the concepts in Scholarium. I was ok with my grammar but had no clue of the principles and reasons on which these question were framed. In 2 months I improved my accuracy from 45 % to 83 %. Later I also referred to notes from good Samaritans in gmat club.

CR

ii) I studied CR from the Manhattan guide and it was good enough. I practiced the concepts in Scholarium. The understanding of the basic framework helped me and with time I did get stumped in few question which taught me few nuances of CR.
RC

iii) I did not make any strategy for strategy, did not even take notes. I enjoy reading new information so it was rather the most fun part of the whole gmat learning. I would often go back and google the topics and phenomena I encountered during RC. I loved RC and in the end it loved me back 

Looking back I did realise something about CR and RC. As non-native speakers most of the time the topics are far away from our comfort zone. Evolution of Jazz and America, The view points of the tea party or the business practices of 17th century traders are not really something we encounter every day. The single most important factor to excel in RC and CR was to have genuine interest in the topics being discussed. I recommended a very unusual method of doing this to some of my friends that seems to work. Try this channel crash course , this is an example one on US history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E9WU9T ... 3eG7ObzO7s
This is fun and interesting and there are similar once on economics, world history and philosophy. This not only helps in getting one acquainted with the terms but also makes one familiar with how to understand complex ideas in a fun way.

I am sucker for short term rewards and cannot keep myself motivated without seeing some sort of measurable change in the output.If you have similar issues use things that show instant results. eGmat is good option for that.

Tests

:
After everything in the last month I had decided to work with official sources and bought the question pack 1 from mba.com. This helped me get acquainted with the pattern and usual traps of the GMAT. I also gave 4 new official exams from exam pack 1 and exam pack 2 as I had exhausted the free once in my last attempt. My score were EP1 730 and 760 EP2 710 and 700. I also took tests from 800score (came with egmat but not good) and gmat club (again with egmat package but were awesome. The most important thing was to adjust my pace and learn when to let go of a question. I realized that I was always screwing up my exam in last quarter which was also shown in ESR of my first attempt. I worked extra hard on fixing this.

Other Factors:

I was advised by my dad to keep a healthy body and mind to excel at any test. Since Gym was too boring I started playing badminton, Meditated using the headspace app and ate healthy specially increased my protein intake. I used a lot of coffee during studies and used red bull during exams to give me focus. (Don’t do this directly in the exam).
Apart from this I tried to reduce entropy during the exam. I bought a similar scratch pad and same pen along with same kind of ear plugs to use during tests (ask me where). Religiously followed break timings and never paused.

Test Day:

I had booked the same center as last year, and by luck I also got the exact same seat in the corner. They already had my fingerprints so it took very less time to get going. The first section was fairly automated. In the break I ate 2 bananas, half of my chocolate bar and a sip of red Bull, and I was good to go. I felt quant to be fairly easy but full of traps. By the time I reached the end of the exam I had 2 very difficult questions and I guessed on both of them probably got lucky. I repeated the same for next break verbal felt way more difficult in lot of questions I was stuck with 2 choices especially with SC sometimes costing me too much time. In the middle of the exam I thought I was not really doing well and have screwed this section. However, I kept powering through and recovered my timing in RC.
Honestly I was expecting a 700 or 710 and I was damn surprised to see 770 flash on the screen. Then came the clock that said the scores would automatically cancel if I did not accept them. When I did the scores went away. The centre did not have a functioning printer. So I had ask the Procter to check again if I saw the scores correctly. I do cherish my score but can not discount the fact that probably between a 740 and 770 is a lot of luck.

Bottom Line::

Self Diagnostic and finding solutions that suit your individual needs are very important tools to a decent score. Feel free to PM/ respond if you have a specefic question.

thanks for sharing your experience.. Can you please share link for the economics crash course ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
shekhar_2017 wrote:
GMAT Debrief: - 600 (Q42 to V31) to 770 (Q50, V45)

These are my 2 cents to the awesome community that has helped me on every tiny step. This specifically is for people who like me suffer from attention deficiency, are suckers for short term rewards and are masters in procrastination.

An excellent performance. Very happy to see the vast improvement you made from 600 to 770. Just Amazing !!!
It should be an huge boost for people who get stagnated around 720-730 despite many attempts.
All the best for Phase II
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,
I did not get your email ID in ESR. Please provide your mail ID, I want some suggestions and guidance.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Very inspiring! I signed up for the local institute and already have access to gmat club and 800score. But the instructors at local institute is not able to explain well and are always constrained by time in class. Given this fact, would you still suggest me signing up for egmat?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts