Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [15]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a senior at a mediocre university in the United States. I am graduating with summa cum laude. I have a double major in Accounting and Finance, and a minor in Mathematics. I want to apply for masters in finance at MIT. I know it's competitive. I just wanted to get some evaluation of my chances for acceptance at MIT ms finance. Here is my profile:

An international student at a US university
Major GPAs: 4
Cumulative GPA: 3.93
GMAT 710 (Q50/V37)
Honors college: graduating with Summa Cum Laude
two research papers (writing in progress)
President/founder: Financial Management Association (FMA)
Founder of a community library in my hometown (providing access to more than 10,000 individuals)
Election Commission: Student Government Association
Student Ambassador: college of business and economic development
President: high school student council
No work experience: senior at current college. no internship because I'm an international. You all know how difficult it is to get internships and jobs in trump administration.

I am working hard to get into some competitive master programs. Please help me evaluate my profile and suggest me how i can better improve my chances. Thank you,
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sy160 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a senior at a mediocre university in the United States. I am graduating with summa cum laude. I have a double major in Accounting and Finance, and a minor in Mathematics. I want to apply for masters in finance at MIT. I know it's competitive. I just wanted to get some evaluation of my chances for acceptance at MIT ms finance. Here is my profile:

GMAT 710 (Q50/V37)
Founder of a community library in my hometown (providing access to more than 10,000 individuals)
No work experience: senior at current college. no internship because I'm an international. You all know how difficult it is to get internships and jobs in trump administration.

I am working hard to get into some competitive master programs. Please help me evaluate my profile and suggest me how i can better improve my chances. Thank you,

Hey sy160,

Your profile looks interesting. One of the strongest factors about your profile is your CGPA. We will discuss more in detail. Let us have a glimpse at your target school i.e. MIT.
MIT is one of the most competitive schools worldwide. According to FT rankings 2018, MS in Finance at MIT Sloan is ranked 7th worldwide. MS in Finance at MIT has 2 options i.e. 12 months and 18 months. You can choose either of them.

So overall you have a fair profile. You have a strong GMAT score which can be one of your strengths while applying to MIT. You have been the founder of the Financial Management Association which can be used to showcase initiatives taken. You also founded a community library. Your experience at a community library can be used to compensate for the lack of work experience as you have done a fantastic job catering to thousands of individuals. In your extracurriculars, you can highlight your experience at Election commission and student ambassador.

One of the areas where you can face tough competition is a lack of work experience because there are many applicants who apply to schools with work experience in globally known brands or companies. Getting into MIT or any other school in MAsters in Finance can be challenging without work experience. So you can make your profile stronger by taking up some freelance projects, look out for some internships, certifications in a relevant field,

A few things that you can do to improve your profile can be take up some courses related to Finance, or get into a financial profile at an NGO, participate in some events or competitions related to Finance as it will add value to your profile. And most importantly, you should have well written strong essays that put all the above points into perspective. All these factors will surely help add value to your profile

Also, regarding the schools, you need to have some more options in hand to be on the safer side. It depends on which country you want to study.
Some schools that you can apply in are Princeton, NYU, Rotman School of Management, EDHEC, HEC, ESCP.

A lot of chances of your selection depends upon how you showcase your profile. So you need to make sure that you highlight all your strengths properly such as good GMAT, extracurriculars, leadership skills, initiatives are taken, etc. I hope that helped!

For a more detailed evaluation of your profile you can take our free profile evaluation: https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf
Hope this helped!

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 20 Aug 2019, 05:45.
Last edited by Narenn on 29 May 2020, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sy160 wrote:
Hello everyone,

GMAT 710 (Q50/V37)

Your GPA is strong and you have a minor in math which will help you. GMAT is OK. Since MIT has a ton of international students I think they will understand that the verbal is what is hurting you.

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mfin/apply/class-profile

As you can see, your GPA is higher than the class profile, but your GMAT is on the lower end. The program is mainly international students, which is shocking to me since international students have a hard time finding sponsorship. I suppose MIT has enough weight that it doesn't matter. Being international slightly hurts you in other programs, but with MIT you should be fine.

I think it is worth applying and I think you stand a decent chance. MIT has a huge class size. Lack of work experience, lack of prominence of UG school and GMAT on the lower end will be your challenges.

As for strengthening your application - higher GMAT. About it at this point.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
hi all,
i have recently graduated from hansraj college which is a top college at Delhi university in BA Economics Honours with a cgpa of 6.838.
I gave gmat and got a score of 690(Q47,V38). I got 96% in class 12
I also have participated in a pan DU event where i was a member of organising team and have done 2-3 internships during college.

I wanted to know my chances of getting into masters in finance related programs from Imperial college london, Warwick business school and any other top UK colleges.
Also I am ready to pursue masters in management if that is a better option for me

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishabhrana97 wrote:
hi all,
i have recently graduated from hansraj college which is a top college at Delhi university in BA Economics Honours with a cgpa of 6.838.
I gave gmat and got a score of 690(Q47,V38). I got 96% in class 12
I also have participated in a pan DU event where i was a member of organising team and have done 2-3 internships during college.

I wanted to know my chances of getting into masters in finance related programs from Imperial college london, Warwick business school and any other top UK colleges.
Also I am ready to pursue masters in management if that is a better option for me

Thanks

Hi rishabhrana97, so most of the major UK Schools do not have a mandatory GMAT requirement, except for LBS and LSE. Again, UK Schools are more stringent about the GPA bit, so a 6.8 might be slightly on the lower end.
UG College rank, however looks good.
Between an MFIn and an MiM, the better degree would for you would depend upon how deep you want to go into the field of finance.
MFin, being a specialized masters program, will have intensive finance based curriculum and is recommended if you are very sure of working in the finance field in the long term. In case you are not sure and want to be open to more job profiles in management, an MiM will be more suitable.
Secondly, for MFin it is recommended to have some experience in Finance (Internships/full time jobs) to stand a better chance.
To determine which program is more suitable for you and which schools to apply for, I would suggest you to take up a profile evaluation so that I can get back with an indepth analysis. Here's the link : https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gmat-pe
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello,

I am looking to apply to MSF programs for Fall 2020.
I am primarily interested in Vanderbilt, UTA, BC, WUSTL, as well as the MiM from Duke, and the MS Commerce (Finance Track) from UVA

Academic Background:
3.4 GPA from a reputable school (top 40-50) with BSBA in Finance
Heavy quant background, several semesters of calc, stats, etc. and some programming
Semester abroad at a prestigious university in Europe
ECs: Served as an ambassador for my University to attract foreign students/acclimate them to U.S. life, and was a member of a leadership program for local community change (lots of volunteering stuff)
Graduated early
Worked part-time all throughout college and attended on a pretty much full ride scholarship (from a low-income family)

700 GMAT

Work History:
I know this is a weak area as I have very little relevant experience.
Currently doing corporate finance (controlling) for a very well-known company (not a relevant industry)
Completed an internship in corporate finance (similar role) in another very well-known company
bs operations internship for an independent brokerage where i did nothing (probably wouldn't even list it)

I am wondering how much of shot I have at these programs. Also, on a side note I am wondering if it is worth it to apply to some European programs (Bocconi, Imperial, ESADE) as an American, or if it would be a waste of time/effort (I wouldn't mind working in Europe)

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good GMAT and GPA from a most likely recognizable school. Solid EC's and work experience at known firms.

In at all the US schools, with BC and WUSTL being the easiest and Vandy being the more difficult (although I still think you are in there as well). UVA, last I checked, didn't allow business/finance majors into their MS Commerce program (https://www.commerce.virginia.edu/ms-co ... ligibility).

Go to school where you want to work. If it is Europe, do European schools. You have a good profile. Bocconi would look at you, although all the EU schools like higher GMAT and GPA's. They tend to be very score focused whereas US schools look for employability. The employment market for a non-EU citizen is probably as hard as it is for a non-US citizen in America - not easy.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Ahh ok, I hadn't done much research into the UVA program yet, 1 less application to worry about anyway.

Thanks a bunch for the reply!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM