Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [15]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hello All,

Me & my partner are evaluating our options & below are the details:

My Profile:

Background and nationality: 28 years old Qualified Chartered Accountant from India
Undergrad Information: B Com (Hons) from Calcutta University. Low score- 58%
GMAT/GRE: Not started prep yet
Work experience and leadership: 5 years of experience post qualification. 3 have been in finance roles in internet businesses and spend 2 years on building a men's fashion e-commerce business. Also, 3 years of internship during CA course which is mandatory for all.
Community and others: Have not been involved in anything organised
Post Master goals: 1. Move to core finance roles, preferably in VC or other financial industry space. 2. Opt for jobs abroad. Preferably Europe or North America
Anything else: My undergrad score is low but would being a qualified CA with good work experience not count?

My Partner:

Background and nationality: 28 years old qualified Chartered Accountant from India
Undergrad Information: B Com (Hons) from Jadavpur University. Score- 76%/ CGPA-9.8
GMAT/GRE: Not started prep yet
Work experience and leadership: Working in Wipro Ltd's finance team for 5+ years now. 3 years of internship during CA course which is mandatory for all.
Community and others: College ambassador for an NGO (Bhumi) which helps underprivileged children with education & food
Post Master goals: Same as above
Anything else: Submitted CV for review for LBS MiF & they have asked to apply

It would be of great help to get views regarding our profile. Thanks in advance!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
don02 wrote:
Hi guys,
I was wondering what my chances would be at the top-ranking finance master programs.

Background
-Male, CEE region

Education
- GPA of 4.93/5 from a business program of a globally unknown, but regionally respected university, which is the most prestigious in the country
- An exchange semester in the highest-ranking Asian university
- Summer school in a top European business school

Experience
- 6 months as an intern at a global bank, in risk management
- Teaching assistant for 3 semesters ( in quantitative courses)
- Conducted research at the institute of the national bank of my country
- Published an economic study in an academic journal
- Member of the investment club of my university
- Volunteer financial manager of an economic student journal

Additional Information
- Participated successfully in numerous case study competitions
- 5 languages spoken
- GMAT: 740 (Quant: 48, 67%; Verbal:42, 96%; IR: 8, 91%)

On the basis of this information, what chances would I have when applying to the top-ranking finance master programs?
Eg: Oxford, MIT, Princeton, Yale

Every comment, experience, or information would be highly appreciated!
Thanks

Hey don02,

You seem ambitious about pursuing a career in finance - This is reflected in the effort you have put in your investment projects and work experience. If this aspect is portrayed properly in your application, schools will be interested in this.

As far as the profile is concerned you have a pretty good GPA and your GMAT score is also great. However, looking at your GMAT score breakup, your Quant is slightly on the lower end and for finance courses it is one of the referencing points, but that can always be made up by properly highlighting the internships, research papers and the extracurricular related to finance during your undergraduate.

Coming to your undergraduate experience, the exchange semester and summer school during your undergraduate study will certainly add to your international experience and it would definitely enhance your application further.

As for your extracurricular activities, you have been a member of the investment club, volunteer financial manager of an economic student journal and member of the economic college of the university which all showcase your strong interest in finance and how you have been taking that forward since your college can act as a differentiating point in your profile. Though to be clear , Adcoms are more interested in impact created rather than participation, hence adding quantifiable achievements would help enhance your application.

As far as your work experience goes, you should explain and highlight more on the financial aspect of your work and how these experiences helped to develop and groom your financial knowledge. Highlight how you have gone beyond the role, any initiatives you took and any kind of impact created to showcase your profile better.

Given your GMAT score, GPA and work experience you can definitely apply to most of the top schools. The schools you can target are:

Dream : HEC, LBS, LSE and Imperial

Competitive : ESSEC, ESCP, Vanderbilt, UC San Diego and Boston Questorm

Safe: SKEMA, IESE and ESMT

As per your profile, to increase your chances of acceptance and showcase your intent to study finance you can take up certifications like CFA and FRM. These will definitely be an added advantage when applying to finance schools to showcase your passion for finance.

While the profile you have showcased is great, you should definitely focus on building a strong application that highlights your choices and why you did what you did, so that you can stand out amongst equally great peers and increase your chances.

Further, if you need a more in-depth profile evaluation and for help in forming your application you can email us your resume at info@mim-essay.com and further you can also check out this free profile evaluation tool for same :

https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hello everybody!

Just took my GMAT exam, got 670 and now I am rather disappointed (managed to pull off 730 in mock exam just yesterday). I sent my results to the following schools (aiming for the MiF):

Bocconi
St Gallen
WHU
WU Vienna
Frankfurt School of Finance

Will such a score be enough (at least for some of those - not all, obviously) or should I retake? And if I do need to retake, should I cancel the score while I can?

Here is my profile:

- I am 21
- I have Russian citizenship
- I will get my Bachelor in Business Analytics in June 2021, the university is decent by Russian standards (semi-target for banks and MBB nationally) but almost unknown internationally
- GPA: 3.4/4 right now
- 2 internships: 1 in marketing, 1 in strategy, both well known multinational companies, 11 months total
- Some case club achievements: reached finals in a couple of national competitions as a team leader
- TOEFL: 110/120
- Know a little bit of German, probably enough to get to C1/C2 in a year or two
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Just graduated from LSE with a 2:1 in economics - bad first and second year (with exceptional extenuating circumstances) but very high final year marks. 770 GMAT Score

1st year: Mathematical Methods (Low score)
Statistical theory (High)
Accounting (average)
Economics (average)

2nd year: Econometrics (relatively low score)
Microeconomics (relatively low)
Macroeconomics (relatively low)
Principles of finance (relatively low)

3rd year: Quantitative finance (high score)
Actuarial investigations (High score)
Survival methods (high score)
Monetary economics (high score)
Public economics (high score)

I had severe family issues in first and second year, my third year and gmat score hopefully demonstrate that.

I have also done a summer internship at Goldman Sachs (Sales&Trading), can get a good recommendation

If anyone could tell me about my chances for Princeton and MIT MFin, and Columbia Mathematical finance?? Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hello,

I was looking to apply for MS in Computational Finance/ MFE programs in the top universities in US and Europe for Fall 2021.

Here is my profile:
Nationality: Indian (Age: 25when I start off with the program)
Bachelors of Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi (India) with a CGPA of 9.68/10 (Department rank 2) [Took several course in the Finance department as well] (Straight As in all 5-6 mathematics courses I took in the college)
I have 3 + years of work experience in the finance sector in Data Science and Engineering in Singapore(mostly working on reference datasets from major vendors + microservices) in a major Hedge Fund (It hires quants from most of the universities I am planning to applying to). I have experience working in a variety of asset classes and have been managing my team in the region. I have also completed a couple of Machine Learning + Statistical Analysis courses online.
I have given my GRE and have a score of 328(Q-170, V-158). Also, my IELTS score is 8.0.

These are the universities I was planning to apply for:

1. Princeton (MFE)
2. CMU (MSCF)
3. UC Berkeley (MFE)
4. Columbia (MFE)
5. Cornell (MFE)
6. Oxford (MS Computational Finance)
7. MIT Sloan (MFE)
8. NYU
9. Imperial College London (MS Finance)
10. ETH Zurich (MS Quantitative Finance)
11. HEC Paris (MS International Finance)

Please let me know if I stand a good chance for the above universities. Also, I was looking for a Mathematics + Finance program for my MS, so if you know of any other good universities where I stand a good chance, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by lsap123 on 11 Sep 2020, 22:16.
Last edited by lsap123 on 02 Oct 2020, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone!

Nationality: British
Choice Schools: HEC Paris, IE, EDHEC
Course: MSc Finance
GPA: 2:1 (pretty major extenuating circumstances - I suffer from a chronic illness which I managed to overcome the year I graduated)
GMAT: 720 (Q45, V44)
Work Experience: 9 month internship at small international corporate finance firm, middle-office summer internship at BB (GS, MS, JP), currently a full-time IB analyst in a boutique in Northern Europe)
Undergrad: Top 20 UK (consistently top 3 for finance)
ECs: President of International Opportunities (organised international study trips), captained university trading team, top performer in the university consultancy clinic.
Other: Played professional sports in Southern Europe for 1 year, founded a small business which currently has 6 employees, I advise an African NGO on strategy and financial matters
Languages: English (native) , French (fluent), Spanish (fluent).

Thanks in advance!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Boomerangtobooks wrote:
Hi, need a profile evaluation for MIF at LBS for 2021. I will be based in London for next three years so limiting my search to colleges in London and around

Background and nationality:
- 32 years old Indian with a 2-year Post Graduate Diploma in Management (full time) from one of the newer Indian Institutes of Management (around 9 years ago)

Undergrad Information:
- BA Hons Economics from one of the best institutes in India
- University topper

GMAT/GRE:
- GMAT total score: 700

Work experience and leadership:
- 10 years total experience in MNC
- 2 years in equity research (HSBC) and 10 years in Strategy, portfolio advisory and commercial advisory (Shell)
- 1 year International experience in Netherlands

Community and others:
-Sitting on Board of Governors of IIM as the alumni representative
- Set up Alumni Committee back in PGDM days

Anything else?
- CFA Level 2
- I am still considering both Part time and full time as I have to manage my finances carefully (married with a child). Husband working in London
- Focused on getting scholarships to lower cost so if someone can advise on this in terms of my profile, it will be great.

Hey Boomerangtobooks,

Well you have quite a strong profile.

Starting with the positive suits of the profile, Your educational background is pretty strong. IIM definitely adds a brand name in your profile and a pg diploma from such a reputed school speaks for itself. You haven’t mentioned your GPA but as you were University topper in your UG, it showcases your academic achievement and shows your academic prowess.

Your GMAT score is good as well and opens the doors to many top schools for you. Although for a Finance degree, there is a lot of influence on the scores of the quant section, as it displays the quantitative aptitude and how you’d be able to fare in the program. A quant score of 50 above is considered as an impressive score, but if you have scored anywhere above 45, we can easily overshadow that by talking about other aspects of your profile.

Having a CFA level 2 is again an impressive feat and showcases your proactive attitude and how you went beyond the standard curriculum of the schools and gained financial acumen.

Your community engagement also showcases your achievements. These act as extracurricular activities and display your leadership skills. It would be interesting to talk about how you took charge, created the association and what substantial impact it brought.

Now coming onto your work experience, I would say that 10 years worth of experience gives you an edge over your competitors, as most applicants would not have such extensive experience. Here you can talk about your roles, important projects you led, the major impacts you created and how in the duration of 10 years you truly created a strong financial base and gained various skills and industry experiences.

Finally coming on to the question of your chances on LBS. LBS is a dream school, which means that it has an acceptance rate of 5-7%. You have a strong profile and with a good application you’d have a chance of anywhere between 40-50% of getting into the program.

As you are looking for school in London, I would suggest you target a mixed bunch of schools in the dream and competitive schools.
As for dream schools, you can target LSE, Imperial, Oxford, Cass Business Schools. In the competitive category, you can target Warwick and University College London.

For your scholarship, you do have a great chance of getting a scholarship. Scholarships depend on the strength of your application. A strong application would also highlight your worth and need for a scholarship.

Lasty, since applications affect 30% chances of getting into a program. Hence, it is very important for you to compliment your strong profile with an equally strong application.

Further, If you are looking for an expert touch on your application and increase your chances of winning admit into your target school, you can check our flagship service All-In-One Solution through the link given below to gain insights into our working of the essay editing process.

Check our All-In-One Solution here-

https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi All,

I need a profile evaluation for Masters in International Finance from HEC or Masters in Financial Analysis from LBS.

I am a Pakistani National. Please let me know about my chances to get into these Masters program.

Education: ACCA, BSc Hon in Applied Accountancy from Oxford Brooks University (off campus, affiliate program of ACCA) & CFA Level 1

Achievements
: Two nationwide positions from ACCA Pakistan, First Class Degree from Oxford Brooks University & 90th Percentile in CFA Level 1.

Work Experience: 1 Year as an Equity Analyst.

GMAT: Target Score 700.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Background and nationality: Indian woman
Undergrad Information: BMS(Finance) Sukhdev College- 9.4 CGPA
GMAT/GRE- GMAT 700(Q 48, V 37)
Work experience and leadership - 3 Internships
Community and others- Enactus Society in college president

Target:
LSE MSc Finance
LBS MFA
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys. First post here :)

Background and nationality: 22 y/o from Portugal, have Brazilian passport as well.

Undergrad Information: Graduated this June from Nova School of Business and Economics (Lisbon) in Economics, GPA of 3.1; spent a semester in Warsaw at SGH Warsaw School of Economics

GMAT/GRE: Targeting 720+ GMAT

Work experience and leadership: Interned at a Portuguese p2p lender, and started as a full-time M&A analyst at a Big 4 (in Lisbon)

Community and others: Was a Board member at the university's portfolio management club (with real AUM), was a Student's Union member, creating partnerships with local companies, volunteered both professionally and socially

Master degree(s) you are applying to? Only to MiF. Will apply to LBS, HEC Paris, Imperial, Warwick, Bocconi

Post Master goals: IB in London for starting out my career.

Would be glad to receive any feedback! Am aware that my undergrad GPA is bad, but I think my overall resume is interesting enough for all unis I'm applying.

Thank you!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JayBansal wrote:
Hey everyone. I really appreciate this community and all those spending their valuable time to help out young applicants. Here's an overview of my profile:

Nationality & Background: Indian, Business/Finance grad with CFA Level 1 cleared

Undergrad Information: 3.26 GPA, Bachelors in Business Administration (BBA) - Finance Specialization from NMIMS University (BBA Course Ranked #1 in the country)
Question: Should I round this GPA off to 3.3 for applications?

GMAT: Not given yet. Expect to score at least 700-720, more if I prep longer.

Work experience: No Full time experience, only internships
Current: Intern at US-based VC Fund (past 1 month), Pro-bono strategy consultant at a social startup in India (past 5 months)
Past: Merchant Banking Internship & Real Estate Investment Internship (2 months each)

Community and others:
Mensa India Member, University's Social Impact Club Member, Have training in Bloomberg Terminal/SAS/Python, done a number of virtual internship programs and certifications.

Programs Interested In:
LBS MFA
LSE MSc Finance/other finance courses
Oxford/Cambridge (if i get an exceptional GMAT Score)
These programs are targeted at applicants without work ex, and I believe my CFA Level 1 and VC Internship help my cause, even though i have a low GPA

Post Master goals: Wish to work in IB Advisory in London. Goldman Sachs is my target/dream firm and I've been trying to build connections there already. I'll also be giving CFA Level 2 in May.

Additional Info:
So I am a bit behind schedule, and just started preparing for the GMAT 2 weeks ago. I perform well in aptitude exams usually, and got a 700 in Official Practice Test 1 two weeks ago (albeit under terrible sleep deprivation) to get a baseline. The Economist/LBS website test gave me a range of 740-770, but its not as reliable. The official questions and OG question sets I've attempted till now (while timing myself), I've been hitting 80-100% accuracy. So I strongly believe I can get a high score if I prepare well.

My main concern is regarding the LBS MFA application - which favors a CFA Level 1 and doesn't require such applicants to submit a GMAT Score. I also know that having a great (740+) score will definitely help my chances. However, Round 1 of LBS' applications close on 30 September - which is not enough time for me to give the GMAT and get the maximum possible score that I can - which i'll need to apply to other unis.

So my options are as follows:
1) Apply to Round 1 of LBS without a GMAT Score - just my CFA Level 1 and profile. Round 1 usually has higher acceptance rates.
2) Apply to Round 2/3 with a GMAT Score (lets say 720-740)

(Other unis I'll only apply to after giving the GMAT)

So do you think I have a profile strong enough to pick Option (1), or should I get a GMAT Score and apply in a more competitive round?

I hope this isn't all over the place and that it makes some sense. Let me know if you honestly feel i'm aiming too high! For the kind of jobs I am targeting, I want to ensure I get into a great course and be close to London. Appreciate the help.

Hey JayBansal,

You have a pretty decent profile.

Your GPA 3.26 is pretty good. You have a strong educational background and have the name of a top-ranking institution, NMIMS, name attached to your profile. Given your core interest in finance, majoring in Finance reflects your passion to build a strong foundation in finance.

Speaking of your work experience, you have relevant work experience in the field of finance which would work in your favor as schools appreciate relevant work experience. Your profile lacks big brand names, but you can negate that by talking about the quality of your work, the positive impact you created, and how you went above and beyond and bloomed in the role.

Having a CFA level 1 is again an excellent point and would help strengthen your application. As it highlights not only your interest but the determination to do well in the finance industry.

You have undertaken decent extracurriculars as well. Your volunteering activities, certifications, and training programs display your analytical skills and how you have a proactive approach towards your education and career.

As you are yet to give your GMAT, it would be great to target a GMAT score of 700 or above. Especially in the quant section, any score around 50 would serve as a testament to your quantitative aptitude to take up the MFA program and excel in it.

Further, I wouldn’t suggest waiting until round 2 to apply for the program because it has 15% more competition and unless you are taking up another internship, preferably in a big brand company, your profile remains the same. Hence, in Round 2, you would be relying only on your GMAT score & would face tougher competition. So, make a wise call here by deciding the best course of action depending on how much time you have and if you want to take up another internship.

Given your school choice, all of them are under the dream category. Clearly not saying that you don’t have a strong profile for those schools, only that they have a very low acceptance rate, somewhere between 8-15%. So getting into these competitive programs and schools, you’ll need a strong application that sets you apart from the competition.

Reflecting on your decent profile, you can target all of those schools. Alternatively, you can also target schools such as ESSEC, ESCP, ESADE, Imperial, etc. However, you might need to check the GPA required for Imperial.

Lastly, if you wish to seek more personalized assistance, you can book a FREE Consultation Call with one of our consultants through the link given below. We have successfully had 35 admits to LBS, 20 to LSE, and 59 to ESCP this year and helped countless other applicants in their journey to their dream schools. We’d be happy to help you too :)

Click here to book a FREE Counseling Session with us-
https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys, I’d like you to evaluate my profile.

Background:

Nationality: Indian Age: 22

GMAT:

Yet to take.

Academics:

Aug 2019
Bachelor of Technology, Mechanical engineering, Indian Institute Of Technology Tirupati.
CGPA: 7.35/10
Relevant Courses: Principles of Economics, Introduction to Financial Management, Linear Algebra, Numerical Analysis.
April 2015
HIGHER SECONDARY EDUCATION (12TH GRADE)(CBSE)- 87.6%
April 2013
SECONDARY EDUCATION (10TH GRADE) (CBSE)- CGPA: 10/10

Work Experience:
Dates From June, 2019 To Present
Senior Executive, National Commodities and Derivatives exchange, Mumbai, India
• NCDEX is India’s largest Agricultural commodities exchange.
• Part of the team that designed the methodology of “NCDEX AGRIDEX” which is India’s first return based Agricultural index.
• Performed different quantitative analyses for different products of NCDEX.
Dates From may 21, 2018 To JULY 13, 2018
Intern, AMARA RAJA BATTERIES LTD., TIRUPATI, India.
• Project Title– “Tool for leakage test in Small Size Batteries”
• Designed a tool which could help in determining the bonding strength between top and base cover of the battery after heat sealing process using torque wrench to provide optimum performance of battery.

Extra Curriculars:

5-year diploma in Tabla and Vocal from Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad.
Football-Captain of IIT Tirupati Football team since 2015, Participated in 52nd Inter IIT Sports Meet, 2017.
Cricket-Participated in 52nd Inter IIT Sports Meet, 2017 and 53rd Inter IIT Sports Meet (as Captain), 2018.
Working for NSS in activities like Science Projects Demonstrations at different government schools, visiting villages along with Rural Projects and Development Group.

Goals:

I would like to work in Private Equity.

I would like to apply in LBS, LSE and IE Business school. Please advise what could be my chance and some other good options which I can look forward to.
Thanks in Advance.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hi all, I'd like to have my profile evaluated. Thanks for your help and contributions

TL,DR
- 21F Nigerian
- 4.34/5.00 (3.56/4.00)
- Not taken GMAT
- 1 year post grad experience at a Local IB boutique firm
- An extensive of leadership and community experience.
- Targets: MIT Mfin, Princeton Mfin, LBS MFA, LSE Mfin, Wilfrid Laurier Mfin co-op, Rotman Msc Financial Risk Management.
- Post grad goals: IB analyst at a BB firm in any English speaking country.

Detailed background.

21 Female, Nigerian

Undergrad - CGPA: 4.34/5.00 translated by WES to 3.56/4.00. BSc Accounting Honors.
(I'm not sure how it'll be weighted but I did a lot of extra courses in my undergrad, on average I did 10 courses a semester. I also completed professional exams and qualified as an Associate Accountant of West Africa while in my Year 3)

I intend to write my CFA L3 May next year (2021)

I haven't taken my GMAT yet, but I'm aiming for a 700-760 because of my unimpressive GPA

Relevant post grad experience - 1 year as a Junior Investment Banking Analyst at a local boutique IB firm. It's Nigeria's leading IB firm in healthcare transactions.
(For undergrad summer internships, I worked as Debt relationship officer and Tax Intern)

Extra curricula activities

Undergraduate
-Head Treasurer of a Non Profit Org in school where I set up a cash and investment management fund to sponsor student members in financial need
-Pioneer Member of my school's finance club and the macro research analyst
-Member of an organization where I actively raised awareness and funds to combat malaria in Nigeria/West Africa. My team was also able to develop a product to combat the spread of this disease in low income areas.
-Taught at least 30 students upon graduation with 89% recording an increase in GPAs

Post graduation
-I'm a research analyst at a local finance group and I sit on the executive board that works with Nigeria's Chamber of Commerce to develop case studies and other finance related competitions for all Nigerian University Finance Clubs
-At my firm, I have worked with the ad-hoc team to create a need based scholarship program for students studying healthcare related courses. (I have been able to serve as a reference and influence for students from my alma matter)

I'm not sure if this matters but I represented my secondary school in chess club from ages 9-12 and was the Chess Captain of the Junior Chess team and I still play from time to time.

My Target Schools (in order of geographics and preference)

MIT - MFin
Princeton - MFin

London Business School - Msc Financial Analysis
London School of Economics - MFin

Wilfrid Laurier University - MFin co-op
Rotman - Msc Financial Risk Management

Post grad Goals
Work as IB analyst in a BB firm hopefully with a focus in healthcare

(I'm preparing to take some programming and math courses online to better my chances for the more quant degrees)

(Are these schools possible given my performance? or is this just a pipe dream and I should lower my expectations. If so, please advise on what schools are within my range)

(For those that may face confusion regarding my age and post grad work experience. I graduated at 19/20, took 1 year off due to family issues and I have been working FT for 1 year)

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wolmer wrote:
Hello everybody!

Just took my GMAT exam, got 670 and now I am rather disappointed (managed to pull off 730 in mock exam just yesterday). I sent my results to the following schools (aiming for the MiF):

Bocconi
St Gallen
WHU
WU Vienna
Frankfurt School of Finance

Will such a score be enough (at least for some of those - not all, obviously) or should I retake? And if I do need to retake, should I cancel the score while I can?

Here is my profile:

- I am 21
- I have Russian citizenship
- I will get my Bachelor in Business Analytics in June 2021, the university is decent by Russian standards (semi-target for banks and MBB nationally) but almost unknown internationally
- GPA: 3.4/4 right now
- 2 internships: 1 in marketing, 1 in strategy, both well known multinational companies, 11 months total
- Some case club achievements: reached finals in a couple of national competitions as a team leader
- TOEFL: 110/120
- Know a little bit of German, probably enough to get to C1/C2 in a year or two

Hey Wolmer,

You have a pretty decent profile.

To start with the strong suits of your profile, your GPA is pretty strong. A GPA of 3.4/4 not only displays your academic prowess, it also opens the doors to a number of good schools.

Your work experience is decent enough as well and further gets enhanced by your stint with the multinational companies. You would be required to focus on the kind of roles you have undertaken, the projects you undertook, and the positive impact you were able to create during your stint. Thus, effectively showcasing your work ex can help you establish yourself as a strong candidate in the eyes of the admission committee.

You have undertaken decent extracurricular case club achievements coupled with your participation in the national competition displaying your leadership skills and how you have a proactive approach towards your education and career. Although, I would suggest you to further take up a volunteering role as it would further strengthen your profile.

Even though your profile has many decent elements, there is a big gap of relevant financial experiences amongst your experiences. As MiF programs demand a strong financial passion and relevant experiences in the field of finance, I would suggest you to bridge the gap between your aspirations and current experience by taking up certification courses in Finance such as CFA and FRM.

Moreover, you should also take up an internship in the field of finance, preferable in a big brand company, but as long as the quality of work is there, you can always draft a strong application.

As for your concern about the GMAT, a score of 670 is not sufficient to get into an academically intensive program such as MiF. You should prepare well and score at least 690 or above in the re-take exam, with a special emphasis on the quant scores. A good quant score is 50 or above, so make sure that you are able to score at least 50.

As for your targeted schools let me categorized the same into dream, competitive for you :

Dream : Bocconi, St.Gallen
Competitive: WHU, WU Vienna, Frankfurt School of Finance.

So for getting into these programs and schools, it is imperative to have good grades, coupled with a high GMAT score and work experience.
Building your profile around these factors will significantly strengthen your profile, enabling you to have a shot of getting into your desired program. Moreover, as your profile lacks a continuous theme of finance you’ll need a strong application that not only highlights the transition between your current experiences to future aspirations, but also sets you apart from the competition.

Lastly, if you wish to seek more personalized assistance, you can book a FREE Consultation Call with one of our consultants through the link given below. We have helped countless applicants in their journey to their dream schools. We’d be happy to help you too :)

Link for the FREE Consultation-

Further, We would be glad to help and figure out what are the best schools you can target and improve your admissions chances. Feel free to set up a call for a strategy session with one of our consultants and discuss all your queries.

https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Hi GMAT Club!
I would really appreciate if you could evaluate my profile:

Targets
MFE - Oxford
MFA - LBS
MFin - LSE

*I'd like to know if I stand any chances to receive a scholarship in any of the aforementioned programmes.

25 years old from Chile (Dual nationality , Chile-Colombia)
TOP 5 University in Chile - Summer School in Kedge Business School (scholarship granted by home University - studied CSR and Sustainable Development)
GPA: 5.3/7.0 Rank: 23/169 (Top 15% of class)

Work Experience
Corporate Finance Analyst at Big4 (7 months)
Asset Management Intern at the largest Investment Bank in LatAm (9 months)
Trading Summer Intern at Banco Santander (2 months) (not in CV)
Valuation Summer Intern at Big4 (3 months)
Wealth Management Summer Intern at an Investment Boutique (1 month) (not in CV)

Awards
Winner of the CFA Research Challenge - Local Competition (Represented Chile in the Americas Regional Final)
National finalist in KPMG's case competition
Honors Diploma in 2019 (for being within the top 5% of class in 2019)

Extra
Teaching Assistant of 6 courses (Finance, economics and econometrics related)
Volunteered as Peer Instructor in Uni - Volunteered in the construction of transitional housing in High School
Former Athlete (in HS) - greatest achievement is a 3rd place in a national competition

I currently speak Spanish and English fluently. Elementary in French (not in CV).

Application
I will apply during October-November (R1/R2)
Career goals: Short-term, Investment Banking. Long-term: PE/VC (Focused in Social Impact)
GMAT: 730 (Q47 V42) - Planning to retake (scored Q49 in all my official mocks).

Originally posted by jdloma on 21 Sep 2020, 07:07.
Last edited by jdloma on 29 Sep 2020, 08:00, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I would really appreciate if you could evaluate my profile:

22 years old from Italy
Bachelor's Degree in Economics and Finance at Bocconi University
GPA: 95/110 (3.3/4)
GMAT: not taken yet. I am preparing to do it before December.

Work Experience
3-months internship at a local medium-size company, with a role regarding finance and administration. Worked with the CFO of the company.

Targets
St. Gallen
Copenhagen BS
Nova Lisboa BS
WU Vienna
Warwick BS

Awards
National finalist of International Games of Math at Bocconi University for two times (2011,2012) after winning regional selection.

Language skills
Italian: native
English: fluent. Certification level C1
Spanish: intermediate. Certification level B1

IT skills
ECDL certification for Microsoft Office (excellent level)
Certification of "Data analysis and reporting with Excel" (Bocconi University)
Python: intermediate level after Bocconi course

Other information
Certification "Private Equity and Venture Capital" after the course authoried by Bocconi University and offered by Coursera.
Virtual Internship with BCG: strategy consulting program
School tutor during the year 2016
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Background and nationality: 20 years old, Indian female.

Undergrad Information: BBA (Twinning program between an Indian target school and a mid-range French Grande Ecole). Spent 2 years in India with a grade of 84% and 1 year in France with a GPA of 16.1/20.

GMAT: 710, IELTS: 8.5

Work experience and leadership: Three internships in financial services industry (one for each summer in undergrad), no big internationally recognised brand names. Currently working in a small team of management consultants (finance-centric role) and will be working here for the next year.

Also did some macroeconomic research and some market research part-time during college.

Acted as event head for a debating competition managed by students in India. Have taken on leadership roles for most group projects in college.

Community and others: Part of an LGBTQ+ students association, did volunteering work in France. Participated in and won some debating competitions in college. Play acoustic guitar and produce music occasionally.

Additional information: Studied in France for 1 year after receiving a 40% merit-based scholarship on tuition fee from the school.

Please let me know what my chances are like!

Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS MiF "22
Send PM
Hi GMAT Club,
I would really appreciate if you could evaluate my profile:

27 years old from Vietnam
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration at National Economics University (Hanoi, Vietnam)
GPA: 8.05/10
GMAT: 590 (Q48, V22). It's disappointed but I've just got acquainted with GMAT for 2 months so I'm planning to retake in Dec.

Work Experience
2-month-internship in Marketing. After graduating, I have 5 years working at a service company, started from a Sales admin and with nearly 3 years as a Key Account Executive. I want to find a program and focus more on Finance.

Target
MSc in Fin - NUS (Singapore)

Language skills
English: I got 7.0 IELTS (I think that I also need to retake on Dec)

It would be glad if I could receive any feedback from you guys! I'm aware that my profile isn't so impressive, but I hope it might be interesting enough for my target program.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  33   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts