Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 19:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [15]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
riyanhrushi wrote:
I'm a fifth-year student, 21 years old, currently pursuing an M.Sc in Economics at the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT KGP), ranked 6th in India. I've taken several finance-related courses in my economics studies and am considering applying to MSF programs in the United States.

My GRE score is 316 (150V, 166Q, AWA-3.5), and my TOEFL score is 93. My GPA is 3.5/4.0 (8.2/10.0 on an Indian scale), and my secondary education score was 99.2%. I completed a two-month summer internship in a small financial services company, worked on some finance projects, and earned online certifications. Currently, I'm working on my final-year thesis on finance under the supervision of the Finance Department Head at IIT KGP.

I applied to MS finance programs at Texas Austin, Vanderbilt, Boston College, and Notre Dame but received rejections. I'm uncertain about the reasons but I suspect I may have overestimated my qualifications, and I'm feeling quite helpless now with only two decisions left, one from USC Marshall and the other from Northeastern. Given my stats and previous rejections, I'm also worried about my chances at these schools.

I would appreciate any assistance in identifying universities where I might have a 100% chance of acceptance. Some schools on my list include (Ohio, Wisconsin, Fordham, ASU, Brandeis, Tulane, Villanova, and Babson. I'm also unsure if I stand a chance at these institutions). Can someone please help me?

Hey riyanhrushi,

Your profile presents a strong academic foundation, particularly with your M.Sc in Economics from IIT KGP. Your GRE and TOEFL scores, while respectable, might be slightly below the average for top-tier MSF programs in the U.S., which could partly explain the rejections. Your GPA is solid, but the finance-related internship and projects, though valuable, may not sufficiently distinguish you in a highly competitive applicant pool.

To enhance your application, consider gaining more relevant work experience in the finance sector. This could be through internships, part-time positions, or even relevant project work. Additional certifications, especially those recognized globally in finance, would also improve your profile. For your final-year thesis, aim for a topic that is innovative and relevant to current financial trends or issues, as this can be a significant talking point in your applications.

Given the rejections you've faced, it's important to reassess your target schools. The schools you've listed (Ohio, Wisconsin, Fordham, ASU, Brandeis, Tulane, Villanova, and Babson) are good choices and should offer a mix of reach and match options. To increase your chances, ensure your application essays and recommendations strongly convey your passion for finance, your academic prowess, and your future career goals. Tailor each application to reflect how that specific program aligns with your aspirations.

Lastly, while aiming for a "100% chance of acceptance" is challenging in the competitive field of MSF programs, broaden your list to include a few more schools where your profile aligns more closely with the average admitted student's profile. This could include universities with strong regional reputations or emerging programs in finance. Remember, each application is an opportunity to present a comprehensive and compelling narrative of your academic journey and professional aspirations. Keep a positive outlook, and focus on showcasing your unique strengths and experiences in each application.

For more personalized advice or application assistance, feel free to reach out on dm or schedule a free strategy session for a more tailored approach.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hello everyone,
I'm from Cameroon and have recently graduated from one a top BS there. I've got a master degree in Economics and Financial engineering and before that I did a year of mathematics and computer science at the local university of my city.
Well giving that I'm from a French country, I don't exactly know my GPA score but I've seen that it is greater than 4, maybe around 6 or 7.
I haven't taken yet the GMAT but will do it next month.
Work experience : I did 6 moth in a bank and 1 on a big company in the country.
I also do have participated in organising major events at my College and an and active member of one of the cultural association there.
I want to apply for a MIF at HEC and ESSEC but wondering if my profile will be good

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BarbaraIngrid wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm from Cameroon and have recently graduated from one a top BS there. I've got a master degree in Economics and Financial engineering and before that I did a year of mathematics and computer science at the local university of my city.
Well giving that I'm from a French country, I don't exactly know my GPA score but I've seen that it is greater than 4, maybe around 6 or 7.
I haven't taken yet the GMAT but will do it next month.
Work experience : I did 6 moth in a bank and 1 on a big company in the country.
I also do have participated in organising major events at my College and an and active member of one of the cultural association there.
I want to apply for a MIF at HEC and ESSEC but wondering if my profile will be good

Posted from my mobile device

Hey BarbaraIngrid,

Your profile presents several strengths that can be advantageous for applications to top programs like the Master in Finance (MIF) at HEC Paris and ESSEC Business School. However, there are areas where further development could enhance your competitiveness.

Firstly, your educational background in Economics and Financial Engineering, coupled with your initial year in Mathematics and Computer Science, provides a strong foundation. The interdisciplinary nature of your studies is a positive aspect, as it shows your ability to navigate complex, multi-dimensional academic environments.

However, the GPA confusion needs clarification. Different countries have varying grading scales, and it's crucial to convert your grades accurately to a GPA equivalent. Schools like HEC and ESSEC will be familiar with international grading systems, but providing a clear, converted GPA will aid their assessment.

Regarding your work experience, the six months at a bank and one month at a major company in Cameroon are good starting points. However, top business schools often look for quantifiable results, like leading a team of 10 or generating 10X revenue.

To strengthen this aspect, consider working on your applications, especially showcasing strong impact on various roles that involve quantitative analysis, financial modeling, or strategic decision-making. This will not only enhance your resume but also provide you with richer experiences to discuss in your essays and interviews.

Extracurricular activities, like organizing major events and being active in a cultural association, add value to your profile by showcasing leadership, teamwork, and organizational skills. To further leverage this, detail your specific contributions and achievements in these roles, focusing on the impact you made.

For immediate next steps, focus on preparing for the GMAT. A high GMAT score can significantly improve your application, especially if there's ambiguity around your undergraduate GPA. Aim for a 700+ score to be competitive for programs like HEC and ESSEC's MIF.

In the medium term, undertake additional roles or projects that demonstrate leadership and a commitment to the field of finance. Additionally, consider professional certifications like CFA, which are highly regarded in the finance sector and can add academic rigor to your profile.

In summary, while your current profile has strong academic foundations and some relevant experience, enhancing application and obtaining a strong GMAT score are key next steps. Your extracurricular involvement is a plus and should be highlighted in your applications, alongside a clear conversion of your GPA to a standard scale.

For more personalized advice or application assistance, feel free to reach out on dm or schedule a free strategy session for a more tailored approach.
_______

Abhyank Srinet
Founder & CEO
(MiM-Essay)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q152 V165
Send PM
Hello, everyone

My name is Galsan Uchurov, I wanted to ask several questions about admission to MSF programs.

Profile:
1. Personal b/ground - I come from a very underrepresented ethnic minority from a small town in Russia.
2. Academic - CGPA 3.36/4.00 from a top economics university in Moscow, Russia, major in public administration.
3. Professional - 2 years of experience in business valuation advisory.
4. Exams - GMAT 690 (Q - 44/ V - 40), GRE 317 (Q - 165/170, V - 152/170).
5. Career plan - to switch to IB or M&A advisory.

Questions:
1. Based on my profile, which schools should I choose, in terms of admissions chances/career opportunities? Do I have any chance at top school like Bocconi/HEC/LBS?
2. Which scores should I submit? GMAT score looks better overall, however Q 44 is a bit non-competitive IMO, especially for Master's in Finance programs.
3. Do I have time and does it make sense to repass GMAT to get a better Quantitative score?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hi there! I am 24 year old, I intend to apply for the LSE Global MiM (2-year CEMS program) - a GRE score of 330 (162V & 168Q), IELTS 8, and finished undergrad (B.A Hons. International Relations & Economics) in Aug'2020 with CGPA of 5.25 out of 8 from India. Career plan to switch PE/IB 

Started working for a major energy consulting firm in Aug'2021 as an analyst in the Oil & Gas division covering North Sea investments research - Now part of the Renewables division covering investments research globally. Before this have worked in the policy sector for 2 major international think tanks (Brookings, etc) and a Big4 as an Intern covering the energy sector. Volunteer work exp from undergrad in child rights and rural employment. Also, co-authored and published a research paper on hydrogen deployment and financing policy. 

Not sure what schools I should realistically target for September 2024 intake ??
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Hello Everybody!  Hope you are doing well.

Would like to ask if anybody could evaluate my chances for acceptance to universities I want to apply to in March!

I want to apply to MSc Business Analytics. I am from Kazakhstan.

My test results: IELTS-7.5, GMAT-620(Q 44%, V64%)
My GPA: 3.1/4.0
I graduated Bachelor`s in 2021. Fluent in SQL,PowerBi,Python and got several certificates and projects.

I am considering to apply to : 1.UBC 2.Ivey(Western Ontario) 3.Calgari University 4.Manchester University 5.University of Edinburgh

Would be extremely thankful if anybody could give me guidance and evaluation of my profile(if could tell if it`s worth the try). Thank you!­

And super extra question!UBC says that minimum of 50 percentile is required in both Quant and Verbal on GMAT, although i have 44 percentile on Quant. Should I still apply? Similar question with Manchester, which requires GPA of 3.33 at least, while I got 3.1 only. Is it worth to apply to these schoosl if I don`t have their mimimum requirements. Thank you
Intern
Intern
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q79 V87 DI80
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hello everyone !
I recently finished my undergrad in economics and was hoping to see how realistic my target programs are . Profile:
Undergrad: 6.85/10 GPA (Economics in Athens university of economics and business )
GMAT 645
Little to no relevant work experience
Programs :
Accounting & Financial Management , RSM
Finance , Tilburg
Finance , ESADE
Finance , Manchester

Do I have a solid shot at admission in these universities ?
Regarding RSM , while they do have rolling admissions , I'm not sure if my Gpa is acceptable , so I felt the need to include it .

Thank you in advance !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

Greek_applicant wrote:
Hello everyone !
I recently finished my undergrad in economics and was hoping to see how realistic my target programs are . Profile:
Undergrad: 6.85/10 GPA (Economics in Athens university of economics and business )
GMAT 645
Little to no relevant work experience
Programs :
Accounting & Financial Management , RSM
Finance , Tilburg
Finance , ESADE
Finance , Manchester

Do I have a solid shot at admission in these universities ?
Regarding RSM , while they do have rolling admissions , I'm not sure if my Gpa is acceptable , so I felt the need to include it .

Thank you in advance !

Greek_applicant - ­Which round/ intake are you planning to apply in?

Your undergrad pedigree is good and GMAT is alright. However, the GPA is on the lower side for some programs, potentially RSM and Manchester. Given the lack of relevant work-ex, I would suggest a GMAT retake to increase your chances overall.

Either way, aim to present a strong application highlighting your academic arc, Quantitative/ Verbal abilities (e.g. through Quant courses you took in undergrad), post-Masters goals, and how the program would help achieve your goals. B-schools also value ExtraCurriculars, so make sure to bring out your participation in such activities.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q84 V80 DI78
Send PM
­Hello Everyone 
i ve finished my Bachelor's in Commerce from India and scored 58% in it , I have work expirience of 2 years working for account and auditing firm in India and managing thier Financial Statements also , for the past One year i have my own Start up in Financial Sector where i Trade in Indian Stock Market through Derivatives and have created my Own Algorithms and automated trading systems , Also i was an Professional Tennis player during my college so i have low scoring and have many accomplishments in that field 
Scored Gmat of 625 
Plan to work in US as in Trading field or asset management and i aim to open my own investment firm from that expierience 

Target Schools 
UCLA 
USC
UC Berkeley
Boston Questrom 

What do you think are my chances of getting in them also if you can suggest me any more colleges in for MFin or QCF in US

Thank you 
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33 
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts