Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:11 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10020 [15]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Background and nationality: Indian

Undergrad Information: Bachelor’s of commerce. GPA: 2.4/4

GMAT/GRE: 720

Work experience and leadership:

* 1 month internship as a part of my curriculum.
* No work experience ( just graduated 2023)

Community and others:

Haven’t been a part of any club in college. But I’ve involved in social activities during my school (before my under-graduation).

Would like to know which school I can target for the MIM program considering my low GPA and no work experience?

Also I would like to know wether my GMAT score can cover up my low GPA ?

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rahulgopal25 wrote:
Background and nationality: Indian

Undergrad Information: Bachelor’s of commerce. GPA: 2.4/4

GMAT/GRE: 720

* 1 month internship as a part of my curriculum.
* No work experience ( just graduated 2023)

Community and others:

Haven’t been a part of any club in college. But I’ve involved in social activities during my school (before my under-graduation).

Would like to know which school I can target for the MIM program considering my low GPA and no work experience?

Also I would like to know wether my GMAT score can cover up my low GPA ?

Hello rahulgopal25,

Thanks for writing in and apologies for the delayed response.

Most MiM programs do not require full-time work experience; so, you need not worry about having none. However, that would mean that your profile will be evaluated for your academic credentials, your test scores, your extra-curricular activities, and your achievements during the internship. Hence, we will need more details pertaining to the same in order to evaluate your chances at the top MiM programs.

Now, to answer your second question, yes, a 720 on the GMAT will enable you to compensate for your low GPA to a certain extent; however, you will still need to address the reason for a low GPA (in case the school asks for an Optional or an Additional Information essay).

Should you feel the need to discuss your prospects in greater detail, please feel free to get in touch with us for a profile evaluation session.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I want to switch my career from Operations to Finance. As an international student, I am looking for a master's degree that can help me achieve this goal.

Here are some details about my profile:

Undergrad: 9.52/10 CGPA after B.Tech in Computer Science & Engineering from a tier-3 state university in India. I graduated with a CGPA of 9.52/10, which put me in the top 2% of my university. I also received two scholarships for my academic performance.

Work experience:
9 months as an Operations Analyst at FAANG

GRE: 324 (165Q and 159V)

Shortlisted Programs: LSE MSc Finance, Vanderbilt MSF, UT Austin MSF

I feel like I am not competitive enough for these three. Could you suggest more MSF programs in the UK and USA with good ROI? I am looking for courses that are not quant-heavy and could ultimately help me get into investment banking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hi experts, please tell me if I can get into Emlyon,Skema, Audencia, IESEG, Grenoble MSc finance and/or recommend any other MSc finance program according to my profile.

Background and nationality: Indian - Male - 23yrs

Undergrad Information:
* Bachelor of Commerce Major in Accounting and Finance.
* 4 online courses related to finance, trading, and economics

University: Panjab University, Chandigarh - Ranked 25 in UNIVERSITY rankings and 44 in OVERALL ranking in India.

Undergrad GPA: 86.8% or 4.0 on 4 point scale

GMAT/GRE: 500 q39 v20

* 1-month internship in marketing at a startup.
* 1 year of work ek in an accounting role.

Extracurricular:
* Won 2 competitions(1 inter-college and 1 intra-college),
* Organised 3 events in college, one of which was a fest attended by 3000+ people.
* I was the vice president of E-Cell,
* Student coordinator of Nation Service Scheme (govt. volunteer organization) in college. Organised 8 different volunteering activities like cleanliness drive, old age home visit, orphanage visit, stationary and cloth donation drives etc.
* Student coordinator of the meditation cell. Organized 4 seminars.

I have scored well in the quantitative, accounts, and finance subjects at the university but I am not good at giving standardized tests and hence GMAT does not state a true picture of my quant and verbal skills. What are my chances in Emlyon, Skema, Audencia, IESEG, Grenoble as GMAT is not a required document they ask for? what other universities can I target for MSc finance with this profile given that I will not be taking the GMAT again.

Target Countries: France, Switzerland, UK, USA, and other European countries.

ExpertsGlobal MiMEssay MBAGuide
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gsmmako wrote:
Hi experts, please tell me if I can get into Emlyon,Skema, Audencia, IESEG, Grenoble MSc finance and/or recommend any other MSc finance program according to my profile.

Background and nationality: Indian - Male - 23yrs

Undergrad Information:
* Bachelor of Commerce Major in Accounting and Finance.
* 4 online courses related to finance, trading, and economics

University: Panjab University, Chandigarh - Ranked 25 in UNIVERSITY rankings and 44 in OVERALL ranking in India.

Undergrad GPA: 86.8% or 4.0 on 4 point scale

GMAT/GRE: 500 q39 v20

* 1-month internship in marketing at a startup.
* 1 year of work ek in an accounting role.

Extracurricular:
* Won 2 competitions(1 inter-college and 1 intra-college),
* Organised 3 events in college, one of which was a fest attended by 3000+ people.
* I was the vice president of E-Cell,
* Student coordinator of Nation Service Scheme (govt. volunteer organization) in college. Organised 8 different volunteering activities like cleanliness drive, old age home visit, orphanage visit, stationary and cloth donation drives etc.
* Student coordinator of the meditation cell. Organized 4 seminars.

I have scored well in the quantitative, accounts, and finance subjects at the university but I am not good at giving standardized tests and hence GMAT does not state a true picture of my quant and verbal skills. What are my chances in Emlyon, Skema, Audencia, IESEG, Grenoble as GMAT is not a required document they ask for? what other universities can I target for MSc finance with this profile given that I will not be taking the GMAT again.

Target Countries: France, Switzerland, UK, USA, and other European countries.

ExpertsGlobal MiMEssay MBAGuide

👋 Hey Gsmmako,

Here is a detailed profile evaluation for you:

Your profile presents a has a strong academic performance, leadership experience, and extracurricular involvement, which are key elements that business schools often look for.

Academic Background:
➡️ Your undergrad performance from Panjab University, coupled with a high GPA of 86.8% or 4.0, is impressive. This demonstrates strong academic capabilities, particularly in your field of interest.
➡️ Online Courses: The additional online courses in finance, trading, and economics show your commitment to furthering your knowledge in finance, which is a positive aspect of your profile.

Test Score:
➡️ GMAT: A score of 500 is below the average for top business schools. However, since the schools you're targeting (Emlyon, Skema, Audencia, IESEG, Grenoble) don't strictly require the GMAT, this might not be a significant hindrance. Your strong undergrad GPA can help offset this.

Work Experience:
➡️ Internship and Work Experience: The 1-month marketing internship and 1-year accounting role provide you with some practical experience. However, more extensive or relevant work experience in finance would strengthen your profile.

Extracurricular Activities:
➡️ Leadership and Organizational Skills: Your role as vice president of E-Cell, organizing events, and coordinating volunteer activities showcase your leadership and organizational skills. These experiences are valuable and should be highlighted in your applications.
➡️ Community Engagement: Your involvement in the National Service Scheme and meditation cell demonstrates a commitment to community service and personal development, which are appealing traits.

Target Schools and Recommendations:
➡️ French Business Schools: Your profile seems well-aligned with the schools you've mentioned (Emlyon, Skema, Audencia, IESEG, Grenoble). These schools often value diverse profiles and may overlook a lower GMAT score in light of strong academic records and extracurricular involvement. But this is highly competitive as more applicants will be applying.
➡️ Other European Schools: Consider schools in the UK or other parts of Europe that have similar entry requirements, like Germany, or Spain might offer programs that align with your profile.
➡️ Swiss and US Schools: These regions typically have more competitive entry requirements, especially in terms of GMAT scores. However, you might find programs that are more flexible regarding GMAT scores.

Strategy Moving Forward:
➡️ Retake the Gmat, aiming for 700+ score to compete with other applicants.
➡️ Highlight Strengths: In your applications, emphasize your strong academic record, leadership roles, and community involvement.
➡️ Narrative: Develop a compelling story about your passion for finance and how an MSc in Finance aligns with your career goals.
➡️ Recommendations: Secure strong letters of recommendation that can vouch for your abilities and potential in finance.
➡️ Research: Look into each program's specific requirements, focusing on those that value diverse experiences and academic prowess over standardized tests.

🤔 If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

Or DM for help!

👉 Click Here to Schedule a FREE Call 👈
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hello everyone,

I am a South Korean male, 28, working at a Korean non-profit organization after finishing my undergrad in Business Administration. I am now trying to make a shift in my career to sustainable finance and so trying to get into Mfin programs in Europe. I wonder if I got some chances with any of them. So, any comments, ideas and recommendations will help.

1. Profile
Nationality: South Korea
Undergrad: 4.03/4.5 (about 3.6/4.0 in US GPA scale), BBA from one of TOP 10 Universities in Korea (QS ranking of 400-500, AACSB Accredited). Exchange year in a public university in San Francisco, U.S.
GMAT Focus score: 615(80 percentile, equivalent to 680 in Old GMAT)
TOEFL iBT: 106
Work Experience: 3 years at a Korean non-profit organization (1,000+ employees) (not relevant to Finance). performed business development & management roles. collaborated internationally
Extracurricular: Unusual international exposure(Lived 2 years in South America in childhood). Committed 10 years in an environmental NGO. Served 2 years as ROK Air Force English Interpreter.
Others:
Completed Coursera online course in Sustainable Finance
Acquired Korean Certificate in MS Excel & Database
Completed 32 Online courses in Data Science (Applied the programming skills I learned in my current job)

2. Career Plan: To switch to (sustainable) finance (equity research or other roles in Front Office) or Corporate Sustainability after graduation in Europe(Germany, Austria, or in the Nordics(Finland, Sweden, etc.). Not considering the US or UK due to private reasons.

3. Target Programs
FSFM MoF
WU Vienna Quantitative Finance, MiM(CEMS)
SSE MoF, MiM(CEMS)
Aalto MoF, MiM(CEMS)
TUM MMDT
ESCP International Sustainability Management, Sustainable business & Innovation

What do you guys think? I am especially worried of my age and 3 years of work experience, irrelevant to Finance. This is why I am also considering applying MiM programs as well.

Do you think I get a good chance of getting into any of these programs?

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help!

Originally posted by Jane_Daniel on 10 Dec 2023, 07:47.
Last edited by Jane_Daniel on 10 Dec 2023, 23:38, edited 6 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Background and nationality: From the UK (speak Spanish fluently and French at a conversational level), currently doing a year abroad - so I've completed 2 years of my degree and will be applying for masters in September 2024.

Undergrad Information: BSc Economics undergrad from a target/top uni (think UCL, Warwick). Got 69% in my first year but due to personal problems got a 53% in my second year (I have mitigating circumstances at my uni for second year grades). So my two year average is about ~3.3 GPA, which I'm worried will be a problem.

GMAT/GRE: Did my GMAT over the summer and got 740, I have time to re-do it, but I'm not sure I could score much higher, so is it worth it?

Work experience and leadership: Two internships at start-ups within business and finance. Summer internship in IBD in London and planning to do another internship in London during summer 2024. I had an executive position at my unis consulting society.

Community and others: Very involved in voluneer programs for two NGOs.

Post Master goals: Would like to work in finance/consulting within Europe. My dream would be to attend HEC, however, I'm interested in HSG, SSE, IE and some of the other European masters.

I'd really like to get a bit of an idea of what my chances are for getting into these programs and where I should target. My main concern is GPA as my second year results are quite bad regardless of my mitigating circumstances.

Thank you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
volcom6 wrote:
Background and nationality: From the UK (speak Spanish fluently and French at a conversational level), currently doing a year abroad - so I've completed 2 years of my degree and will be applying for masters in September 2024.

Undergrad Information: BSc Economics undergrad from a target/top uni (think UCL, Warwick). Got 69% in my first year but due to personal problems got a 53% in my second year (I have mitigating circumstances at my uni for second year grades). So my two year average is about ~3.3 GPA, which I'm worried will be a problem.

GMAT/GRE: Did my GMAT over the summer and got 740, I have time to re-do it, but I'm not sure I could score much higher, so is it worth it?

Work experience and leadership: Two internships at start-ups within business and finance. Summer internship in IBD in London and planning to do another internship in London during summer 2024. I had an executive position at my unis consulting society.

Community and others: Very involved in voluneer programs for two NGOs.

Post Master goals: Would like to work in finance/consulting within Europe. My dream would be to attend HEC, however, I'm interested in HSG, SSE, IE and some of the other European masters.

I'd really like to get a bit of an idea of what my chances are for getting into these programs and where I should target. My main concern is GPA as my second year results are quite bad regardless of my mitigating circumstances.

Thank you.

👋 Hey volcom6,

Strengths:
➡️ Language Proficiency: Fluency in Spanish and conversational French is a significant asset.
➡️ GMAT Score: A 740 is impressive and compensates for your GPA concerns.
➡️ Internship Experience: Internships in business and finance, especially in IBD, are valuable.
➡️ Extracurriculars: Involvement in NGOs and leadership roles in university societies demonstrate well-roundedness.

Areas for Improvement:
➡️ GPA Concerns: Clearly explain the mitigating circumstances for your second-year grades.
➡️ Work Experience: More internships or work experiences in finance or consulting will strengthen your profile.

School Suggestions:
➡️ Dream: HEC Paris, LBS, INSEAD.
➡️ Competitive: HSG, SSE, IE, ESCP, Rotterdam.
➡️ Safe: IESE, Manchester, Skema

Recommendation
➡️ Crafting a compelling narrative in your applications is crucial. Tailoring your application to each school's culture and values can significantly enhance your chances of admission.

🤔 If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

Or DM for help!

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jane_Daniel wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a South Korean male, 28, working at a Korean non-profit organization after finishing my undergrad in Business Administration. I am now trying to make a shift in my career to sustainable finance and so trying to get into Mfin programs in Europe. I wonder if I got some chances with any of them. So, any comments, ideas and recommendations will help.

1. Profile
Nationality: South Korea
Undergrad: 4.03/4.5 (about 3.6/4.0 in US GPA scale), BBA from one of TOP 10 Universities in Korea (QS ranking of 400-500, AACSB Accredited). Exchange year in a public university in San Francisco, U.S.
GMAT Focus score: 615(80 percentile, equivalent to 680 in Old GMAT)
TOEFL iBT: 106
Work Experience: 3 years at a Korean non-profit organization (1,000+ employees) (not relevant to Finance). performed business development & management roles. collaborated internationally
Extracurricular: Unusual international exposure(Lived 2 years in South America in childhood). Committed 10 years in an environmental NGO. Served 2 years as ROK Air Force English Interpreter.
Others:
Completed Coursera online course in Sustainable Finance
Acquired Korean Certificate in MS Excel & Database
Completed 32 Online courses in Data Science (Applied the programming skills I learned in my current job)

2. Career Plan: To switch to (sustainable) finance (equity research or other roles in Front Office) or Corporate Sustainability after graduation in Europe(Germany, Austria, or in the Nordics(Finland, Sweden, etc.). Not considering the US or UK due to private reasons.

3. Target Programs
FSFM MoF
WU Vienna Quantitative Finance, MiM(CEMS)
SSE MoF, MiM(CEMS)
Aalto MoF, MiM(CEMS)
TUM MMDT
ESCP International Sustainability Management, Sustainable business & Innovation

What do you guys think? I am especially worried of my age and 3 years of work experience, irrelevant to Finance. This is why I am also considering applying MiM programs as well.

Do you think I get a good chance of getting into any of these programs?

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help!

👋 Hey Jane_Daniel,

Strengths:
➡️ Academic Excellence: A strong GPA from a top Korean university and a decent GMAT equivalent score (680) showcase your academic abilities.
➡️ International Exposure: Your diverse international experiences, including living in South America and working with a global non-profit, add a unique dimension to your profile.
➡️ Extracurricular Commitment: Your long-term involvement in an environmental NGO and other extracurricular activities demonstrate a commitment to sustainability and leadership.

Areas for Improvement:
➡️ Relevance of Work Experience: While impressive, your work experience is not directly related to finance. Emphasize transferable skills and how they will contribute to your future career in sustainable finance.
➡️ GMAT Score: While your score is competitive, aiming for a slightly higher score could enhance your profile, especially for top European programs.

School Suggestions:
➡️ Dream: SSE MoF, Aalto MoF.
➡️ Competitive: WU Vienna, TUM MMDT, ESCP International Sustainability Management
➡️ Safe:. Edinburgh, IESE, Skema

Recommendation
➡️ Crafting a compelling narrative in your applications is crucial. Tailoring your application to each school's culture and values can significantly enhance your chances of admission.

Or DM for help!

Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS
Send PM
Background and nationality: 24F, Indian
Undergrad Information: CGPA: 3.1/4, BTech in IT and an MBA in Technology Management, with a major in finance and minor in business intelligence and analytics, have various certifications from Google and Wharton around Data and Business Analytics
GMAT/GRE: yet to take/not sure
Work experience and leadership: 2 years of full time experience in corporate finance/treasury at an American IB. In uni, have held various leadership roles within MUNSociety, have participated in over 60 MUNs myself, was a delegation lead as well as a President during a pandemic conference. Have also chaired a number of MUN conferences.
Community and others: used to play basketball in uni but nothing special. My MUN experience is mostly what I have to show for community engagement
Post Master goals: rationale for an MSF is to enhance my network/make it in a different job market. Am looking to make it to treasury sales/front office/high finance roles at an IB preferably or consulting for one of the MBBs.
Anything else? Considering my work ex, am keen on applying to top ranked programs only and expect some degree of tuition assistance from the program. Am looking at schools in the US/UK/Europe with great placement stats (100% career services success is great).

Please let me know what schools should I look at!

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
notanmfeapplicant wrote:
Undergrad Information: CGPA: 3.1/4, BTech in IT and an MBA in Technology Management, with a major in finance and minor in business intelligence and analytics, have various certifications from Google and Wharton around Data and Business Analytics
Work experience and leadership: 2 years of full time experience in corporate finance/treasury at an American IB. In uni, have held various leadership roles within MUNSociety, have participated in over 60 MUNs myself, was a delegation lead as well as a President during a pandemic conference. Have also chaired a number of MUN conferences.
Community and others: used to play basketball in uni but nothing special. My MUN experience is mostly what I have to show for community engagement
Post Master goals: rationale for an MSF is to enhance my network/make it in a different job market. Am looking to make it to treasury sales/front office/high finance roles at an IB preferably or consulting for one of the MBBs.
Anything else? Considering my work ex, am keen on applying to top ranked programs only and expect some degree of tuition assistance from the program. Am looking at schools in the US/UK/Europe with great placement stats (100% career services success is great).

notanmfeapplicant - interesting profile overall. Some thoughts/ clarifications:

1. How strong was your undergrad/ MBA pedigree (e.g. top-10 university?), and was the CGPA mentioned (3.1) during undergrad or MBA? Would suggest having a good GMAT/ GRE score (though some programs may not need it) as it can help position the profile well, particularly for scholarships

2. Work-ex sounds interesting, given the Finance/ IB angle. Some points to help shape the narrative: What are your motivations for your target role(s)? What are your transferable skills? How would a Masters help? etc.

3. The MUN experience offers good talking points on ECs. Would suggest highlighting what were the skills you developed here, and how these would help in your journey during/ post Masters.

It would be premature to suggest schools based on this initial assessment, but broadly, some programs to consider would be UST15 and LBS, LSE, HEC, Imperial, Oxbridge and ESADE in the UK/ EU. As some front-office and consulting roles in EU require local language/ culture proficiency, doing some research on this angle and speaking to alums can help. Prioritizing the schools would also require a deeper understanding of your profile and preferences.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out through the link(s) below if you'd like to have a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | HEC Paris Alum
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS
Send PM
1. How strong was your undergrad/ MBA pedigree (e.g. top-10 university?), and was the CGPA mentioned (3.1) during undergrad or MBA? Would suggest having a good GMAT/ GRE score (though some programs may not need it) as it can help position the profile well, particularly for scholarships

I went to a tier-2 uni for the integrated program, have much better grades in my finance courses with my GPA around 3.5-3.6 in the last 2 years of MBA. The GPA is my CGPA for the program cumulatively, we don’t receive individual GPA for the 2 courses.

2. Work-ex sounds interesting, given the Finance/ IB angle. Some points to help shape the narrative: What are your motivations for your target role(s)? What are your transferable skills? How would a Masters help? etc.

Well, suffer from a lack of pedigree backing due to my program and front office requires people from good universities. Moreover, the kind of roles I want would require a more broader understanding of finance. Would like to transition into high finance/sales. I have a corporate finance/treasury background in line with my work and have a good handle on Excel/PowerPoint among other things that we utilize on a day to day. A Masters would enable the transition to a more Associate-level role I’m hoping as well as access to job markets like London/NYC, which is where I want to be for the longer term.

3. The MUN experience offers good talking points on ECs. Would suggest highlighting what were the skills you developed here, and how these would help in your journey during/ post Masters.

It would be premature to suggest schools based on this initial assessment, but broadly, some programs to consider would be UST15 and LBS, LSE, HEC, Imperial, Oxbridge and ESADE in the UK/ EU. As some front-office and consulting roles in EU require local language/ culture proficiency, doing some research on this angle and speaking to alums can help. Prioritizing the schools would also require a deeper understanding of your profile and preferences.

Would like to avoid EU outside of the UK due to language barriers actually, can you recommend UST5/7 schools? In the UK, am partial to Oxbridge and LBS, whichever offers better placements in banking.

admitStreet wrote:
notanmfeapplicant wrote:

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out through the link(s) below if you'd like to have a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
notanmfeapplicant wrote:

I went to a tier-2 uni for the integrated program, have much better grades in my finance courses with my GPA around 3.5-3.6 in the last 2 years of MBA. The GPA is my CGPA for the program cumulatively, we don’t receive individual GPA for the 2 courses.

Well, suffer from a lack of pedigree backing due to my program and front office requires people from good universities. Moreover, the kind of roles I want would require a more broader understanding of finance. Would like to transition into high finance/sales. I have a corporate finance/treasury background in line with my work and have a good handle on Excel/PowerPoint among other things that we utilize on a day to day. A Masters would enable the transition to a more Associate-level role I’m hoping as well as access to job markets like London/NYC, which is where I want to be for the longer term.

Would like to avoid EU outside of the UK due to language barriers actually, can you recommend UST5/7 schools? In the UK, am partial to Oxbridge and LBS, whichever offers better placements in banking.

admitStreet wrote:
notanmfeapplicant wrote:

Regards,
Arvind

notanmfeapplicant - It'd be difficult to recommend specific programs without understanding your profile and preferences better (and GMAT/ GRE score, if you take it). Also since MSF programs may cover different 'angles' of Finance e.g. Financial Engineering, Mathematical Finance, etc., narrowing down on which curriculum aligns with your interest areas and goals would be important.

For starters, looking at rankings like this and this can help, particularly looking at the criteria on which they were ranked e.g. placements, etc.

Regards,
Arvind
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
notanmfeapplicant wrote:

Hey notanmfeapplicant,

Your profile presents a blend of technical expertise and leadership experience, making you a strong candidate for top-ranked Master of Science in Finance (MSF) programs. Your background in IT and MBA in Technology Management, complemented by certifications in Data and Business Analytics, showcases a solid foundation in technology and finance.

However, your undergraduate CGPA is modest when we compare it to the competitive applicant pool. To balance this, excelling in the GMAT/GRE will be crucial, as high scores like 700 in GMAT or 325 in GRE can significantly strengthen your application.

Your professional experience in corporate finance/treasury at an American investment bank is impressive and aligns well with your post-master's career objectives. The leadership roles you undertook in university, particularly in Model United Nations (MUN), demonstrate your ability to lead and engage in community activities. While your basketball experience might seem less relevant, it still contributes to a well-rounded profile.

To enhance your application, consider actively engaging in community or voluntary activities that align with your interests or career goals, as this could add depth to your community engagement narrative.

For schools, considering your aspirations and background, you should target programs known for strong finance curriculums and excellent career services. In the US, consider schools like Duke Fuqua, Chicago Booth, or NYU (Stern) for their renowned finance programs and placement in high finance roles.

In Europe, London Business School, LSE, HEC Paris, and INSEAD are excellent choices, known for their robust alumni networks and connections to the finance industry. These schools also have a track record of high placement rates.

However, do note that top programs are highly competitive and offer limited tuition assistance. Therefore, applying to a range of schools, including some just outside the top tier, may increase your chances of receiving financial aid.

Tailoring your application to each program's ethos and highlighting how your unique experiences align with their curriculum will be key to success.

For more personalized advice or application assistance, feel free to reach out on dm or schedule a strategy session for a more tailored approach.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

Can anybody please let me know if I can submit my unofficial GMAT score for ESSEC MIM or write my exam one day before the deadline?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Manish6 wrote:
Hello,

Can anybody please let me know if I can submit my unofficial GMAT score for ESSEC MIM or write my exam one day before the deadline?

Hey Manish6,

You can use your unofficial GMAT score to apply for the ESSEC MIM program. I've seen many do the same! Just a little tip from my experience - it's usually best to take the GMAT about 10 days before your application deadline. This way, you'll have your score ready right away (since the unofficial score is pretty much in line with the official one) and it gives you a bit of breathing room just in case.

Wishing you the best on your GMAT and your application! Feel free to drop a message if you need more advice or just want to share how it went.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys, I’m planning to apply for masters this year (2024 intake), target programs are LBS MFA, MIT Msc Finance, Oxford MFE, LSE Msc Finance and Imperial Msc Finance. Specifically interested if it worth to apply to MIT and Oxford, given my profile

Nationality - Azerbaijan
22 years old

Undergrad - Bachelor of Finance from top university in my country, graduated in 2023. GPA 97/100

Haven’t taken GMAT yet but expect 700-720+

Worked in Audit in EY during last year of my bachelor’s. After graduation got into Deal Advisory Valuation in KPMG (which is top destination in finance career as there are no invest.banks in my country) and now working here.

From extracullars - have volunteered in international soccer tournament, have been selected and participated in program organized by one of the largest local companies (included case competition etc.). Now taking part in the CFA Research Challenge.

Also have ACCA FA and FR, CFA Level 1 ( abive 90th percentile), IELTS 8.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi all! Looking for an evaluation.

* Background and nationality
East Europe - Baltic countries

* Undergrad Information
4 year Bsc Political science + 40 additional credits in business and finance

Further, I have done an exchange abroad.

GPA: 8.9 / 10, equivalent to idk about 3.8 in US

* GMAT/GRE

650 (39Q, 40V)

* Work experience and leadership

Leadership: Student Investment fund board member;

Work: Big 4 associate; local bank internship; business dev internship for international financial services company.

Might get a VC internship soon.

* Community and others

Volunteered at an architecture festival where I did presentations to the public;

Contractor / volunteer at the NATO summit in Vilnius this year.

* Post Master goals

Tech VC and eventually my own start-up.

Goals are to gain finance and business acumen + a prestigious name to gain a VC job.

* Anything else?

Application to MiM or related degrees.

Schools: SSE, LBS, CBS, RSM, ESCP, but open to suggestions :)

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts