Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [15]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2148 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Louis14 wrote:
X1629738 wrote:
Wish you the best! Really hope you get in as well!

What course did your brother get into?

BTW your CGPA converts to a Upper Second Class.

Thanks so much.

He got into Global Politics

So, what does Upper Second Class suggest in simple terms?

For UK Schools, Upper second class roughly translates to 3.7 GPA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hey guys. I'm planning to apply to MFin as well as MAccFin in the first application round. How do you consider my chances?

Nationality: German
Choice Schools: HSG, Imperial, Bocconi, HEC, LBS, IE, LSE, SSE
Course: MSc Finance / MSc Accounting and Finance
GPA: 3.7/4 (top 10%)
GRE: 321 (Quant 165, Verbal 156) equals 670 GMAT ( Q47, V33)
Work Experience: One internship at Corporate Finance/ Transaction Advisory (not Big4 but part of the 10 biggest players in Germany)
Undergrad: One of the 11 german "elite" universities in Economics and exchange year in Colombia
ECs: Organized a Model United Nations at my university together with others, One year of volunteering in Dominican Republic, Worked as a Tutor for Maths for Economists
Others: I did many statistics/econometrics classes and know how to do some Data Analytics using R

So what schools do you guys think I should apply at? Especially if i want to go into Investment Banking or Consulting.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I am applying to LBS for the MFA programme. Here is a quick resume of me:

- nationality : Lebanese
- I am graduating this year from CASS business school and did a Bsc in finance
- average 75.1 (first)
-still no GMAT score
- private bank internship in 2015 in Geneva (one month)
- wealth fund management internship in London in 2019 ( one month)
-volunteering in an orphanage in Ivory Coast
- just got accepted for an internship in a private bank In lebanon ( one month)
- summer program UCLA (2014) and Columbia (2016) 3 weeks each
- languages: French- English - Arabic

What do you think are my chances at getting accepted at LBS and what should I aim for the GMAT ?

Thank you in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V161
Send PM
Olayn wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am applying to LBS for the MFA programme. Here is a quick resume of me:

- nationality : Lebanese
- I am graduating this year from CASS business school and did a Bsc in finance
- average 75.1 (first)
-still no GMAT score
- private bank internship in 2015 in Geneva (one month)
- wealth fund management internship in London in 2019 ( one month)
-volunteering in an orphanage in Ivory Coast
- just got accepted for an internship in a private bank In lebanon ( one month)
- summer program UCLA (2014) and Columbia (2016) 3 weeks each
- languages: French- English - Arabic

What do you think are my chances at getting accepted at LBS and what should I aim for the GMAT ?

Thank you in advance.

You have good profile and strong shot of getting an offer. The only hurdle is getting a strong GMAT score, you should aim for 720+. Secondly, applying this late in the admission cycle may slightly reduce chances.
Are you applying for the last round (1 June)?
Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I’ve already applied without a GMAT but I have to send them my score before the 1st June. I don’t know if I’ll have enough time to get a 720+. Do you think a score of 650+ will let me in considering my strong profile

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Olayn wrote:
I’ve already applied without a GMAT but I have to send them my score before the 1st June. I don’t know if I’ll have enough time to get a 720+. Do you think a score of 650+ will let me in considering my strong profile

I am not so sure about 650. Average GMAT score is 720. I believe at the very least you should aim for a 700, regardless of how strong your profile is.
Is your interview decision deadline on the 13th of May?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No the interview decision will be on the 19th due to covid-19

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
DeadFlagBlue wrote:
I'm graduating in the summer of 2021from a mediocre business school (in Egypt). I'm considering a master in finance as a way to break into investment banking - in London or Europe - and HEC Paris/LBS seem decent. However, my profile is so weak:
GPA: 3.34; GMAT: 725; IELTS: 8, my French is solid too; CFA level 1 candidate, hopefully will have passed by graduation.
I only did a couple of summer training programs at a local bank because I wasn't allowed to be interned as a student. Yes that's a law :||. I can, however, earn a summer analyst position the summer following graduation.
So, I know my GPA sucks. in my defense I was depressed as hell during the early semesters, and now thanks to covid-19 my university implemented a riduculous system that would halt any progress for at least 2 semesters. One of my professors told me he could say something about that in a letter of recommendation.
Based on that, do I stand a chance to be admitted to the MIF program at HEC, or LBS master in financial analysis, and to break into IB from there?
I'm open to other suggestions btw

Well, Covid-19 is a global crises and B-Schools understand this. So over here, you need to focus on the articulation bit - How the new system has impacted your GPA. Secondly, you would need to work on showcasing your challenges - You need to be able to tell your story on what were the challenges you faced during your early semesters and what you did about the same. If you work on both of these, you might be able to justly the low GPA part. Also, your UG rank is a bit of a concern as HEC is notorious for recruiting from the top 10 UG colleges of the applicant's nationality. Secondly for LBS, I would suggest you to look at the MFA program as it is more suitable for freshers, the MSc Finance is more of a post experience degree.
So while LBS is a dream school, I would suggest you to look at ESSEC, Warwick, UCL as other options as well.
If you can mail me your resume at support@mim-essay.com, I would be able to help you out better with school targeting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. Could someone help me evaluate my profile for MIT MFin admissions, please?

Nationality: Peruvian
Undergrad degree: Economics (+ Minor in Finance) in the top Economics university in my country. Graduating in December
Internships: Research Assistant at my university + Investment Banking at a Bulge Bracket office in my country
Accomplishments:
+ Merit Award (2nd highest GPA out of 1000+ students during my freshman year)
+ Got a scholarship to study at the LSE Summer Session, it was awarded to only one student from the Faculty of Economics (~800 students)
+ Took a Fixed Income Course at LSE, got an A+
+ 1st place in a Latin American economics competition (hosted 40+ universities): I was part of my university's 5-students team
+ Got a diplomatic commendation (3rd place) at a Harvard National MUN. I was part of my university's official MUN team. I liked to participate in the Economics and Financial Committees
+ Student representative of the Faculty of economics
+ Very likely to be graduating with valedictorian/salutatorian honors
+ In Peru, we do not use a 4.0 scale GPA, but my cumulative GPA is around 88%, with 85%+ on quantitative courses
+ Teaching assistant of Linear algebra, Statistics and Corporate Finance courses

Volunteering:
+ Helped build houses and taught classes in rural areas of Peru, during two summers

Other:
+ Currently working at a research paper with a Professor, it is focused on non-linearities in financial markets
+ Really passionate about mathematics and the mathematical foundations of modern finance. On the other side, I am currently starting to like Machine Learning applications to finance
+ I like riding my bike and running, have participated in several local marathons
+ I enjoy writing occasionally at a local magazine. Some are serious articles, others are Freakonomics-like articles, in which I use economics and finance theory to explain daily dumb events, it is fun

I am worried that because my university is not universally renowned I might be at a disadvantage.
I am also worried that I scored a 70% on my econometrics course. Despite 70% being not low, I believe it might be considered "low" by MIT standards. I do have an explanation though, here in Peru it is very normal to be an intern while studying, and this happened when I was doing the IB internship (which lasted 6 months). As you might have heard, IB is pretty demanding (60+ weekly hours) for junior positions

Planning to take the GMAT by the end of the year

What do you think? Do I have reasonable chances of getting into the MFin class?
Really appreciate your opinions
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Your scores and stats look pretty strong. The MIT program is predominantly international so that wont be held against you. You have an academic record of success and good scores - positive. Work experience for a BB bank in a front office role - great. Assuming your GMAT is in line, you should be a competitive applicant. Avg GMAT for MIT is a 729. Higher than this is going to help you. Try and kill the GMAT and that should put any quantitative concerns to bed.
Intern
Intern
Schools: IE '22 (WA)
GRE 1: Q165 V166
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for an evaluation on my profile

Nationality: British
Dream B-Schools: LBS, LSE, Imperial
Secondary choice B-Schools: ESADE, Bocconi, IE, Manchester?
Course: MiF / MScF
GPA: Low 2:1, UK, in 2015
GMAT: Expecting circa 700+ (Q48-46,V42-40)
Work Experience: 6 months at a Fintech FX brokerage, followed by 3 years as an analyst in Business / Asset Finance at a UK challenger bank, also did a secondment within the bank's Structured Finance Department for a month
Undergrad: Economics & Finance at a Middle ranked UK uni
ECs: Social Sec at Econ & Fin Soc at uni, Rowed during Secondary School and Uni
CFA1 Passed June-2019 with score above the 90th percentile

I believe the weakness in my application is that i didn't attend a strong undergrad uni - I also took 5 years to complete a 3 year degree due to some negative personal events that caused depression and affected my grades - explained in my personal statement.

I would love to graduate from Business Finance to M&A or LevFin in London.

I know that my dream uni's are a stretch but I could really use help in understanding whether I would be a competitive candidate for my secondary choice uni's or whether I am aiming too high/low.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hey MiMEssay, what are my chances for the ESADE MFin?

I was thinking of applying to ESSEC/ESADE in October and taking learnings from those to apply to HEC/ESCP in January. What are my chances for the others? Should I take some other strategy?

Basic: 19, Male, Indian, applying for 2020-21 admissions year. Will be 19 while applying, 20 while joining.

Background
Founded and running a consulting group that strategizes and offers consulting and strategy to startups especially in the social-tech sector. (Should this be under Work Experience or Leadership activities?)
Work experience (all done during college years):
Research Internship at IIM Ahmedabad (Indian Business School) 2 months
Internship at Center for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship 2 months(Incubator/Accelerator/Investment Fund)
Project Associate at a startup that makes tactile solutions for blind children-8 months
Business Development Internship at a start-up 3 months

Extra curriculars:
President of the Treasury of the Students' Council
Convener of flagship Strategy Consulting event
Captain of the Debate Team
Founder of the Student Research Forum of our college
Vice President of the Consulting Club
Hold a couple of team lead positions on finance and participation teams in college fest organizing committees with 2000+ participation.
Maintain a blog on economics.
Won some B-School competitions, nothing too impressive. Also won some debates and quizzes. Won one Tennis tournament. Won of institute B-competitions like case studies and simulations.

Three research projects sending to publishing. (Do projects matter to MiM/MFin Schools?)

Some community social work such as zoo clean ups, underprivileged children scholarship test organization, teaching disabled children, tree plantations etc.

Undergrad school/major: IIM Indore, BA (Foundations of Management) [Takes 120 from 20,000 applicants]. Ranked 4th in the country.

Stats

GMAT Score: 760 in practise tests so far. Assuming 700-something in the real thing.

Undergrad GPA: 73%

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
HelloWorld1 wrote:
Hey guys. I'm planning to apply to MFin as well as MAccFin in the first application round. How do you consider my chances?

Work Experience: One internship at Corporate Finance/ Transaction Advisory (not Big4 but part of the 10 biggest players in Germany)
Undergrad: One of the 11 german "elite" universities in Economics and exchange year in Colombia
ECs: Organized a Model United Nations at my university together with others, One year of volunteering in Dominican Republic, Worked as a Tutor for Maths for Economists
Others: I did many statistics/econometrics classes and know how to do some Data Analytics using R

So what schools do you guys think I should apply at? Especially if i want to go into Investment Banking or Consulting.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone has an idea?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
HelloWorld1 wrote:
HelloWorld1 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

You have a decent profile, Your GPA and work experience is good. Try bumping up your GRE score to 328+.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
GalladeAggron wrote:
Hey MiMEssay, what are my chances for the ESADE MFin?

I was thinking of applying to ESSEC/ESADE in October and taking learnings from those to apply to HEC/ESCP in January. What are my chances for the others? Should I take some other strategy?

Basic: 19, Male, Indian, applying for 2020-21 admissions year. Will be 19 while applying, 20 while joining.

Background
Founded and running a consulting group that strategizes and offers consulting and strategy to startups especially in the social-tech sector. (Should this be under Work Experience or Leadership activities?)
Work experience (all done during college years):
Research Internship at IIM Ahmedabad (Indian Business School) 2 months
Internship at Center for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship 2 months(Incubator/Accelerator/Investment Fund)
Project Associate at a startup that makes tactile solutions for blind children-8 months
Business Development Internship at a start-up 3 months

Extra curriculars:
President of the Treasury of the Students' Council
Convener of flagship Strategy Consulting event
Captain of the Debate Team
Founder of the Student Research Forum of our college
Vice President of the Consulting Club
Hold a couple of team lead positions on finance and participation teams in college fest organizing committees with 2000+ participation.
Maintain a blog on economics.
Won some B-School competitions, nothing too impressive. Also won some debates and quizzes. Won one Tennis tournament. Won of institute B-competitions like case studies and simulations.

Three research projects sending to publishing. (Do projects matter to MiM/MFin Schools?)

Some community social work such as zoo clean ups, underprivileged children scholarship test organization, teaching disabled children, tree plantations etc.

Undergrad school/major: IIM Indore, BA (Foundations of Management) [Takes 120 from 20,000 applicants]. Ranked 4th in the country.

Stats

GMAT Score: 760 in practise tests so far. Assuming 700-something in the real thing.

Undergrad GPA: 73%

Hi GalladeAggron,
You have a Pretty strong profile as such and if you can get a 750+ on your GMAT, it can be one of your major profile assests.

Having pursued your undergraduate study from IIM Indore is a notable factor of your profile. Highlight the selectivity of the school in your application, so that your UG rank is one of the Profile Highlights.
GPA is pretty decent as well, not very competitive for Top 3 schools to be honest (particularly the UK, USA ones), but for ESADE it would not be a problem.
In regards to your confusion regarding the research project, you must know that they do play an important role and you can address them in your resume and application as well. This would enable you to showcase your excellence on the academic front. Also, you can adequately portray your competitive spirit through your engagements in quizzes, debates, B-School competitions, and the like.
Shedding light on your extracurriculars, its great to see that you took leadership initiatives. This is another strong point of your profile and you can smartly picture them in your application to showcase your leadership and other soft skills.
Moving to your professional exposure, I can see you’ve undertaken internships during your college years. Your professional pursuits would enable you to touch upon aspects like a team leader, team player, communication and leadership skills, etc in your application.

For the consulting group you’d founded, I’d like you to contemplate on whether it’s a formally set up venture or an informally formed group to offer assistance to a target audience. This pursuit of yours would be categorized in your work experience only if it’s a professionally set up venture. Otherwise, you - can categorize it under your extracurriculars.

- Your profile is pretty good as such, however, for MFin programs you will be competing with applicants with far extensive experience in Finance so you would need to do a stellar job in justifying your goal of taking up an MFin degree - Why do you want to take it up at this stage, how will you compete with applicants with wider work experience and how do you think you can contribute to the school.
MiM, being a pre-experience degree, you would definitely stand a better chance of selection for ESADE. With your profile, I would estimate it to be between 45%-55% for ESADE MiM.

With a good application, ESADE would be more in the competitive range for you - I would suggest you to think of targeting more competitive schools like LBS, IE, HEC Paris.
To know more about your selection chances, I would suggest you to take up our profile evaluation -Our tool will assign you a profile score after evaluating your GPA, Extra-Curriculars, GMAT and work ex, and then show you your selection chances across your target schools.
You can access the profile evaluation here: https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?hp-banner
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey

Am an Indian. 28 years old.
Completed an undergrad
In BBA (Hons) from Kingston university, UK with 2:1 (Upper second class)

Completed a post grad diploma in economics with a merit from Loughborough university, UK

Have given my gmat once in 2013 got a 650 (around 77th percentile in quant)

Kinda tanked in my gre which was more recently take. Got 156 in quant.

Worked 2 years in family business In management and participated in financing decisions.

Completing 3 years in one of the most sort after wealth management firms in india. 2 years in the front office role (2017-2019) as a wealth manager. Brought in AUM worth a little short of a million dollars.

Worked in the advisory and analytics division for a year to understand the other side of wealth management. Am a part of the fintech team involved in developing automated analytics platform for our relationship managers to effectively communicate client portfolios. Got two stellar references from the senior managing partner and senior vp

Apart from this am. A certified scuba diver/ paraglider. And represented my state in Handball during highschool.

Also passed two SEBI registered certification programs.

Anyway applied for MSc Finance and Financial engineering programs in ESADE/ IE / Imperial / Bocconi / UCL / LSE

What are the chances?

Thanking you.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
kpm081991 wrote:
Hey

Am an Indian. 28 years old.
Completed an undergrad
In BBA (Hons) from Kingston university, UK with 2:1 (Upper second class)

Completed a post grad diploma in economics with a merit from Loughborough university, UK

Have given my gmat once in 2013 got a 650 (around 77th percentile in quant)

Kinda tanked in my gre which was more recently take. Got 156 in quant.

Worked 2 years in family business In management and participated in financing decisions.

Completing 3 years in one of the most sort after wealth management firms in india. 2 years in the front office role (2017-2019) as a wealth manager. Brought in AUM worth a little short of a million dollars.

Worked in the advisory and analytics division for a year to understand the other side of wealth management. Am a part of the fintech team involved in developing automated analytics platform for our relationship managers to effectively communicate client portfolios. Got two stellar references from the senior managing partner and senior vp

Apart from this am. A certified scuba diver/ paraglider. And represented my state in Handball during highschool.

Also passed two SEBI registered certification programs.

Anyway applied for MSc Finance and Financial engineering programs in ESADE/ IE / Imperial / Bocconi / UCL / LSE

What are the chances?

Thanking you.

Hi kpm081991, so you have a total of 5 years of work experience? Work experience looks good actually- I can see some quantifiable achievements, and the having an international UG degree helps as well. GPA looks decent as well, however I still don't have deatils about your GRE, extra-curriculars would need those to make a more accurate estimate on your selection chances. Based on the data you have given me, I would say that ESADE, Imperial would be competitive while IE, LSE and UCL fall under the dream catagory.
I would suggest you to take up a profile evaluation so that I can get the missing details and make a more accurate estimate of your selection chances. Additionally, our evaluation tool is inclusive of an application strength finder - Since you have already submitted your application, I think you will find it pretty interesting to see how strong your application can be preceived by the Adcom.
Here's the link to the evaluation: https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation/?utm_medium=gmat+club&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=profile+evaluation
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey thank you for the prompt response.

Had given my GMAT in 2013 where I got 650 and in the 78th percentile in quant. (don’t remember the score) I also gave my GRE more recently and got 306 (156 in quant). Hoping my GMAT score can help complement my lower GRE

n terms of extra curricular. Am a certified scuba diver/ paraglider. Also represented my state in Handball during highschool. Worked in an NGO for a year in high school.

I have passed two SEBI registered certification programs. SEBI is the indian equivalent of SEC in the US.

Hope this gives you a better idea.

Thanking you.

Originally posted by kpm081991 on 19 May 2020, 13:41.
Last edited by kpm081991 on 19 May 2020, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  33   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts