Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [43]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [17]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [3]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 510 Q26 V34
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: The origin of the attempt to distinguish early from modern music and t [#permalink]
Here is the list of right answers

1 : Option E
2 : Option D
3 : Option C
4 : Option D

# All the options are more explicit in nature
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 409
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
Re: The origin of the attempt to distinguish early from modern music and t [#permalink]
Kudos
Q1. Option E. From 1st paragraph we can infer that
1. The attempt to performance practice started in 18th Century
2. In 1st half of 18th century Telmann and Bach performed their own music
3. In Early 19th century - collegium started performing music before the standard repertory
4. Standard repertory is the music from centuries (plural) before Bach and Handel
This means the standard reportory is atleast 2 centuries older than 18th century. Option E is in line with this inference.

Q2. Option D. This can be directly understood from the lines 3-7 of para 2.

Q3. Option B. We can understand from para 2 that
1. Bach died in 1750
2. Bach's music called for unannotated performing traditions. (Reason for choosing 1750 as cutoff date)
Hence, we can infer that music post Bach death DID NOT CALL for unannotated performance and it is already maintained.

Q4. Option D. From the passage we can understand that performance practice is nothing but re-performing the old music. This means it is NOT original/ authentic. Hence it is called as subdiscipline by the author.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello all, OAs of this RC are posted now you can tally your answers

1. A
2. D
3. B
4. C

BlueBook

Good effort +Kudos to you, i will post Official explanations soon you can check where you made error.

Gautam12121991

You result is 50/50. Improvement is needed.

Good Luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Bookmarks
1. P1: Standard repertory music = music during the time of Bach and Handel, P2: "The reason for this demarcation was that the music of Bach, Handel, Telemann, and their contemporaries did call for obsolete instruments" --> standard repertory music = calling for obsolete instruments

Ans: A

2. No ambiguity on this one "Alongside this modern collegium musicum, German musicologists developed the historical subdiscipline known as “performance practice,” which included the deciphering of obsolete musical notation and its transcription into modern notation, the study of obsolete instruments, and—most importantly because all musical notation is incomplete—the re-establishment of lost oral traditions associated with those forgotten repertories"
Ans: D

3. "The reason for this demarcation was that the music of Bach, Handel, Telemann, and their contemporaries did call for obsolete instruments and voices and unannotated performing traditions." --> Inference: there was no need to study it afterwards because they included it (as an example, if we were specifically studying nervous people prior to 1750, we stopped when in 1750 once we realized that all people were nervous)

Ans: B

4. "...German musicologists developed the historical subdiscipline known as “performance practice,” which included the deciphering of obsolete musical notation and its transcription into modern notation, the study of obsolete instruments, and—most importantly because all musical notation is incomplete—the re-establishment of lost oral traditions associated with those forgotten repertories."

Tricky inference here: author is describing different aspects of music such as transcription, notation and re-establishment of oral tradition

Ans: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hello all, OAs of this RC are posted now you can tally your answers

1. A
2. D
3. B
4. C

BlueBook

Good effort +Kudos to you, i will post Official explanations soon you can check where you made error.

Gautam12121991

You result is 50/50. Improvement is needed.

Good Luck.

Can you please upload the Detailed answer, I really want to know why did you go for B in question 3. ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Schools: NUS '23
Send PM
Hi, can someone please explain why answer choice D doesn't fit for Q1?

Although I marked the right answer, I was really confused between choice A and D. The last line of the first paragraph says that 'standard repertory by which was understood music from *before* the time of Bach and Handel'.

Thanks!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rocknrolla21 wrote:
Hi, can someone please explain why answer choice D doesn't fit for Q1?

Although I marked the right answer, I was really confused between choice A and D. The last line of the first paragraph says that 'standard repertory by which was understood music from *before* the time of Bach and Handel'.

Thanks!

OAs are posted here, please follow below link.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-origin-o ... l#p2487158

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Experts: in Q4 option D and E are eliminated because it is focussing on the subpart (the historical subdiscipline known as “performance practice,” which included the deciphering.......) not as a whole; whereas option C is including all the subparts. Right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: HBS '22 HEC '22
GMAT 1: 570 Q39 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V26
GPA: 4
Send PM
Here is my attempt:
1: Option A
2: Option D
3: Option B
4: Option C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For the given RC,

In Q1, why can't the answer be D, as it is mentioned in last line of para1 that Standard repartory include music from time of Handel and bach

Regards,
Harsh.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
harsh154 wrote:
For the given RC,

In Q1, why can't the answer be D, as it is mentioned in last line of para1 that Standard repartory include music from time of Handel and bach

Regards,
Harsh.

Hi Harsh

Paragraph 2 of the passage states: "...the music of Bach, Handel, Telemann, and their contemporaries..."

From this, we gather that Bach, Handel and Telemann were contemporaries ie; belonged to roughly the same time period. Therefore, the "standard repertory" should refer to music belonging to this period.

Option (D) states: Written before the time of Handel.

This would refer to music written before the time of Bach etc. and hence, to a time period before the "standard repertory". Hence this cannot be the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Good morning sir
Sir I not able to relate 1st question's answer after reading thrice as to what is inferred from the word standard repertory. According to me ans was d)written before the time of Handel.I m not able to understand what this line means..devoted itself to performing music from the centuries before the beginning of the “standard repertory,” by which was understood music from before the time of Bach and Handel…how it is referred to as music belonging to this(Bach n Handel) period and not before. If I understand that standard repertory is Bach, Handel's period then I will be able to relate the 2nd part that the music of Bach, Handel, Telemann, and their contemporaries did call for obsolete instruments and voices and unannotated performing traditions. Please help
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mansha02 wrote:
Good morning sir
Sir I not able to relate 1st question's answer after reading thrice as to what is inferred from the word standard repertory. According to me ans was d)written before the time of Handel.I m not able to understand what this line means..devoted itself to performing music from the centuries before the beginning of the “standard repertory,” by which was understood music from before the time of Bach and Handel…how it is referred to as music belonging to this(Bach n Handel) period and not before. If I understand that standard repertory is Bach, Handel's period then I will be able to relate the 2nd part that the music of Bach, Handel, Telemann, and their contemporaries did call for obsolete instruments and voices and unannotated performing traditions. Please help

Please read the Official Explanation here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-origin-o ... l#p2487158

Regards
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The origin of the attempt to distinguish early from modern music and t [#permalink]
According to OE(Original Explanation)"It is reasonably inferable from the first paragraph as a whole that the “standard repertory” mentioned in line 8-9 refers to the music of Bach and Telemann as well as to other (“modern”) music from their time (first half of the eighteenth century)."
Sir in this it is directly mentioned it refers to the music of Bach and Telemann and music from their time but I m not able to infer the same..I thought before the time of Bach and Handel..I m sorry for bothering but i couldn't understand.
Also I will be really obliged if you explain me this line and as I m not able to figure out where I m going wrong.."..devoted itself to performing music from the centuries before the beginning of the “standard repertory,” by which was understood music from before the time of Bach and Handel"…how it is referred to as music belonging to this(Bach n Handel) period and not before.Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
sir im a undergrad student i need to ace gmat rc can you give me some tips
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [2]
Send PM