Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy [#permalink]
Can someone help me with this question. I think the answer A is correct because Exhibit which is singular and so we need a singular activates and so options D and C are out. Why is this logic incorrect . Help me. Thank you
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
longhaul123 wrote:
Can someone help me with this question. I think the answer A is correct because Exhibit which is singular and so we need a singular activates and so options D and C are out. Why is this logic incorrect . Help me. Thank you

Hi longhaul123, in A which is modifying exhibit, thereby suggesting that exhibit activates the animated functions of the piece.

The intended meaning is that the touch activates the animated functions of the piece.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
In (D), which is correct, shouldn't "activates" go with with a singular "activates", since "touch" being a singular activates the animated series?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
lakshya14 wrote:
In (D), which is correct, shouldn't "activates" go with with a singular "activates", since "touch" being a singular activates the animated series?

Hi Lakshya

The parallelism construct used here is as follows:

"...an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to (“touch” each exhibit and thereby activate) the animated..."

Expanding the parentheses, the relevant portion actually reads as follows:

"...an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit and to thereby activate the animated..."

As you can see, both "touch" and "activate" use the infinitive form of the verbs. As you are aware, an infinitive (to + verb) form always uses the base form of the verb irrespective of tense and count, and therefore, "activate" is the correct usage in this sentence.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
x2suresh wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

(A) exhibit, which thereby activates
(B) exhibit, in turn an activation of
(C) exhibit, and it will activate
(D) exhibit and thereby activate
(E) exhibit which, as a result, activates

Hi Experts GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo AjiteshArun

Please explain why "it" in choice C is incorrect.

My understanding:
"it" can refer to "touch" as the touch will activate the functions.

Or is it because "touch" is used as a verb here, and "it" can only refer to nouns. Hence "it" cannot refer to "touch"
Is there right reason to eliminate choice C or I am missing?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thereisaFire wrote:

My understanding:

Or is it because "touch" is used as a verb here, and "it" can only refer to nouns. Hence "it" cannot refer to "touch"

Hi thereisaFire,

There are a couple of things we should look at here:
1. It's usually not a good idea to use pronouns like it to refer to things other than nouns, at least on the GMAT.

2. "Visitors to 'touch' each exhibit and thereby activate {something}" means that the act of touching is what leads to the activation of {something}. Option C, on the other hand, says that visitors will touch something and that it (something) will activate something else. At a minimum, this is ambiguous, because there seems to be no logical antecedent for that it.

I think that perhaps you read touch as the touch. If the sentence had used "the touch", touch would have been a noun. However, the sentence uses touch as part of the infinitive to touch (infinitives are verb forms).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
thereisaFire wrote:

My understanding:

Hi thereisaFire,

There are a couple of things we should look at here:
1. It's usually not a good idea to use pronouns like it to refer to things other than nouns, at least on the GMAT.

2. "Visitors to 'touch' each exhibit and thereby activate {something}" means that the act of touching is what leads to the activation of {something}. Option C, on the other hand, says that visitors will touch something and that it (something) will activate something else. At a minimum, this is ambiguous, because there seems to be no logical antecedent for that it.

I think that perhaps you read touch as the touch. If the sentence had used "the touch", touch would have been a noun. However, the sentence uses touch as part of the infinitive to touch (infinitives are verb forms).

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I thought "touch" as a noun, whereas it is used as a verb (to + verb from).

I actually thought thattouch is a noun since it was quoted inside inverted commas.

Hence, I would like to understand the significance of inverted comma here. What difference does it make to have/omit the inverted comma from the word touch?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thereisaFire wrote:
Hence, I would like to understand the significance of inverted comma here. What difference does it make to have/omit the inverted comma from the word touch?

Good question.

They've written touch like that to emphasise that visitors to the Virtual Leonardo Project don't actually (physically) touch the exhibits.

1. ... the Virtual Leonardo Project... encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit and thereby activate the animated functions...

So in the original National Museum of Science and Technology the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members. The Virtual Leonardo Project, on the other hand, is probably a website that asks visitors to "touch" an exhibit, which sounds more like mousing over and/or clicking on a representation of the exhibit. This "touch" then activates the animated functions of the exhibit(s).

Here's another (similar) official question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Quote:
Can you please help me understand why activate is correct and activates is incorrect ?
what is it referring to ?

Hi sumanainampudi! The correct answer uses "activate" instead of "activates" because it is the infinitive form ("to activate", not "to activates"); however, in this case, the "to" is implied and does not need to be written. For example, you could say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and (to) buy milk.", but you cannot say, "I asked my friend to go to the store and buys milk." Who is going to the store? "my friend". Who is buying milk? also "my friend". Similarly, in the OG example, the "visitors" are responsible for both actions, touching and activating. Since the infinitive "to touch" is used for the first action, the infinitive form "(to) activate" must also be used; this makes it clear that the visitors are responsible for both actions.

I hope that helps!

I discounted the correct answer thinking these are not parallel .... I was confused by "thereby" and thought "touch" and "thereby activate" are not parallel. What am I missing here?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
AjiteshArun EducationAisle thansk for the explanations, however in the correct choice it is not clear what is activating the animated functions- the touch or the visitors? Ideally the intended meaning is the touch but the way it is written, it seems to convey that visitors activate it which makes no sense
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
the way it is written, it seems to convey that visitors activate it which makes no sense

Well, to me, it does make sense to say (imply) that visitors activate <the animated functions of the exhibit> by touching the exhibit. :) .

What say?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
AjiteshArun EducationAisle thansk for the explanations, however in the correct choice it is not clear what is activating the animated functions- the touch or the visitors? Ideally the intended meaning is the touch but the way it is written, it seems to convey that visitors activate it which makes no sense

Hi Elite097,

That's a good question. You've identified one of the weaknesses of and: the logical connection between the elements joined by and isn't always clear or easy to identify.

1. He will run the race in under 9 seconds and become the fastest person on Earth. ← Readers have to make the connection between these two thoughts (that the running and the becoming aren't independent of each other) on their own.

This is where adverbs like thereby and therefore come in. They help readers understand what kind of connection exists between the elements.

2a. They will touch X and activate Y.

2b. They will touch X and thereby activate Y.

Even though (2b) is longer than (2a), it is clearer. The thereby makes it absolutely clear that the touching of X is what will activate Y.
GMAT Club Bot
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts