Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Carotenoids, a family of natural pigments, form an important part of [#permalink]
GMATNinja I'm not clear about question 3
I was considering choice A and choice E. But, I chose A. Could you please help clarify why choice E is the correct one ?
Appreciate your help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [11]

Send PM
Re: Carotenoids, a family of natural pigments, form an important part of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Nonktp wrote:
GMATNinja I'm not clear about question 3
I was considering choice A and choice E. But, I chose A. Could you please help clarify why choice E is the correct one ?
Appreciate your help.

Quote:
3. The passage suggests that relatively bright carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of which of the following characteristics in males of certain animal species?

Consider this quote from the passage:

"Studies of several animal species have shown that when choosing mates, females prefer males with brighter carotenoid-based coloration."

In other words, a male’s bright, carotenoid-based coloration makes it a more desirable mate for females.

Now, let’s take a look at (A) and (E) to see if we can find a reason to eliminate each answer choice. Here’s (A):

Quote:
(A) Readiness for mating behavior

So, does the passage suggest that bright, carotenoid-based coloration signals that an animal is READY to mate? It definitely suggests that such coloration signals a DESIRABLE mate, but that is different than being READY for mating behavior. In other words, an animal could be a desirable mate but still not be ready to mate. Eliminate (A).

And here’s (E):

Quote:
(E) Fitness as a mate

You could claim the passage doesn’t mention the fitness as a mate of an animal with bright, carotenoid-based coloration, but the question asks what the passage suggests. The passage makes clear that females prefer bright coloration when choosing a mate. Presumably, that coloration is indicative of a male’s fitness as a mate. Otherwise, females would not prefer it. With that in mind, (E) is the correct answer to question 3.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
The passage implies which of the following about the insects from which animals acquire carotenoids?

Hi Can everyone explain what is the meaning of "from which"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
3. The passage suggests that relatively bright carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of which of the following characteristics in males of certain animal species?

(B) Ability to fight
(C) Particular feeding preferences
(D) Recovery from parasite infestation
(E) Fitness as a mate

Dear GMATNinja

I struggle between D and E, I chose D because the statement "
Quote:
whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease
"
Does not it imply that recovered from carotenoids?

Please help.

Bright carotenoid-based coloration might indicate a strong immune system and, thus, an ability to recover well from a parasite infestation. But bright carotenoid-based coloration does NOT indicate that the animal IS recovering from parasite infestation. The coloration is a sign that the male is fit as a mate, not that the male is actively recovering from an illness or infection.

In other words, you cannot point to male with bright carotenoid-based coloration and say, "oh, that male must be recovering from a parasite infestation right now."

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja could you please tell why A is wrong here. Honestly, I didnt' understand the meaning of E "Fitness as a mate"
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ypetrunina wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:

(B) Ability to fight
(E) Fitness as a mate

Dear GMATNinja

I struggle between D and E, I chose D because the statement "
Quote:
whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease
"
Does not it imply that recovered from carotenoids?

Please help.

Bright carotenoid-based coloration might indicate a strong immune system and, thus, an ability to recover well from a parasite infestation. But bright carotenoid-based coloration does NOT indicate that the animal IS recovering from parasite infestation. The coloration is a sign that the male is fit as a mate, not that the male is actively recovering from an illness or infection.

In other words, you cannot point to male with bright carotenoid-based coloration and say, "oh, that male must be recovering from a parasite infestation right now."

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja could you please tell why A is wrong here. Honestly, I didnt' understand the meaning of E "Fitness as a mate"

Answer choice (A) for question 3 is discussed in this post. Take a look and let us know if you still have any questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Enjoyed it! A nice and a tricky one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Kudos
Got 3 out of 5
These two were incorrect. :(

(B) Ability to fight
(E) Fitness as a mate

4. The passage implies which of the following about the insects from which animals acquire carotenoids?

(A) They do not produce carotenoids themselves.
(B) They use carotenoids primarily for coloration.
(C) They maintain constant levels of carotenoids in their tissues.
(D) They are unable to use carotenoids to boost their immune system.
(E) They are available in greater abundance than are carotenoid-bearing plants.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Why is E better than A? The below is my analysis for E, but I feel like it could also be used for A...

Is the "readiness" portion wrong? They're not getting ready because they are ALREADY ready. They already have bright coloration, which means they have a strong immune system (which therefore means they need fewer Cs for fight disease and will advertise [presumably, for attracting females] BECAUSE they are already ready to mate)

(E) Fitness as a mate
???males can use scarce carotenoids either (1) for immune defense and detoxification or (2) for attracting females??? and "Males that are more susceptible to disease and parasites will have to use their carotenoids to boost their immune systems (AKA use it for 1), whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease and will advertise (for whom? For attracting females) this by using the pigments for flashy display instead" (AKA use it for 2)

Hopefully this all makes sense... thank you in advance experts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
Why is E better than A? The below is my analysis for E, but I feel like it could also be used for A...

Is the "readiness" portion wrong? They're not getting ready because they are ALREADY ready. They already have bright coloration, which means they have a strong immune system (which therefore means they need fewer Cs for fight disease and will advertise [presumably, for attracting females] BECAUSE they are already ready to mate)

(E) Fitness as a mate
???males can use scarce carotenoids either (1) for immune defense and detoxification or (2) for attracting females??? and "Males that are more susceptible to disease and parasites will have to use their carotenoids to boost their immune systems (AKA use it for 1), whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease and will advertise (for whom? For attracting females) this by using the pigments for flashy display instead" (AKA use it for 2)

Hopefully this all makes sense... thank you in advance experts

(A) and (E) for question 3 is discussed in this post. Take a look and let us know if you have any further questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Schools: Rotman '24
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V25
Send PM
got 4 out of 5 correct in 12 minutes . Need to work on speed , it seems
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Carotenoids, a family of natural pigments, form an important part of [#permalink]
NandishSS wrote:
HI GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , sayantanc2k, RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert (Carolyn), ccooley , GMATNinjaTwo , SarahPurewal , EMPOWERgmatVerbal

Here is the relavent part but how to infer?

Animals acquire carotenoids either directly (from the plants and algae that produce them) or indirectly (by eating insects) and store them in a variety of tissues.

4. The passage implies which of the following about the insects from which animals acquire carotenoids?

(A) They do not produce carotenoids themselves.
(B) They use carotenoids primarily for coloration.
(C) They maintain constant levels of carotenoids in their tissues.
(D) They are unable to use carotenoids to boost their immune system.
(E) They are available in greater abundance than are carotenoid-bearing plants.

Then passage mentions that plants and algae produce the caratenoids themselves. When the animals eat the plants/algae they get carat. DIRECTLY.

The passage differentiates the acquisition from insects. Animals acquire the caratenoids INDIRECTLY from insects.

So, it can be inferred that if the insects produce their own carat, as plants/algae do, there would NOT be a need to group eating the insects in another category called. “indirect” acquisition.

In other words, if the insects had been able to produce their own carat similar to plants and algae, the passage would have grouped the insects together with plants/algae.

Instead, the passage separates the acquisition method by which the animals get the carat. into “direct” and “indirect”.

Thus it can be inferred that unlike the plants and algae that are part of the “direct grouping”, insects can not produce their own carat.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
In Question 1.

Quote:
1. According to the “conventional view” referred to in line 13 of the passage, brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species suggests that an individual

(A) lives in a habitat rich in carotenoid-bearing plants and insects
(B) has efficient detoxification processes
(C) has a superior immune system
(D) possesses superior foraging capacity
(E) is currently capable of reproducing

According to the passage, per the conventional view brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain Males would suggest that those males posses superior foraging capacity. But this question is not about a few certain males. This question is about
Quote:
brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species
. If the whole species has brighter carotenoid-based coloration wouldn't that mean that no individual has the superior foraging capacity? I chose D and then got confused by the wording of the question and ended up choosing A. To me the passage does not provide enough info to answer this question.

GMATNinja could you help me out with my thought process. I know I'm reading too much into the question, but that's what the whole exam is I suppose.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
One suggestion in reading these passages, do not try to go really deep into details. Just review steps in your head and move on.

Best of lucks to you all

Cheers
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 503
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q162 V150
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Sahils57 wrote:
In Question 1.

Quote:
1. According to the “conventional view” referred to in line 13 of the passage, brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species suggests that an individual

(A) lives in a habitat rich in carotenoid-bearing plants and insects
(B) has efficient detoxification processes
(C) has a superior immune system
(D) possesses superior foraging capacity
(E) is currently capable of reproducing

According to the passage, per the conventional view brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain Males would suggest that those males posses superior foraging capacity. But this question is not about a few certain males. This question is about
Quote:
brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species
. If the whole species has brighter carotenoid-based coloration wouldn't that mean that no individual has the superior foraging capacity? I chose D and then got confused by the wording of the question and ended up choosing A. To me the passage does not provide enough info to answer this question.

GMATNinja could you help me out with my thought process. I know I'm reading too much into the question, but that's what the whole exam is I suppose.

Hi,

brighter itself will suggest certain comparison here. It means there are few which are less bright than others in the same species.
I would suggest not to think deeply into the questions, mostly the tricky part will be the answers not the questions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [1]

Send PM