Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 08:42 It is currently 14 May 2024, 08:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club News PM
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [4]
Given Kudos: 853
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63875 [1]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: Carotenoids, a family of natural pigments, form an important part of [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
1. According to the “conventional view” referred to in line 13 of the passage, brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species suggests that an individual

(A) lives in a habitat rich in carotenoid-bearing plants and insects
(B) has efficient detoxification processes
(C) has a superior immune system
(D) possesses superior foraging capacity
(E) is currently capable of reproducing

Quote:

The passage discusses detoxification. However, it's the second view, not the conventional view, that says that detoxification is important. The question is about the conventional view, so answer choice (B) is out.

Quote:

Similar to answer choice (B), the passage does discuss the immune system, but this is associated with the second view, not the conventional view, so we can eliminate this answer choice.

Quote:

This is exactly what the conventional view is about: brighter coloration demonstrates superior foraging abilities. We'll leave answer choice (D) in.

Quote:

The conventional view implicitly touches on reproduction because the brighter colored males send a signal to females. But what is the signal? That the brighter colored males are better foragers. There's no indication that the signal is that the brighter colored males are capable of reproducing. So answer choice (E) is out.

That leaves us with answer choice (D) as the correct answer.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
Thank you so much for clarifying every choices.
Sir, how do we convinced that choice B and C are connected with second view?
Quote:
The conventional view is that carotenoids are meaningful because they are rare: healthier males can forage for more of the pigments than can their inferior counterparts. Although this may be true, there is growing evidence that carotenoids are meaningful also because they are required: they are used by the immune system and for detoxification processes that are important for maintaining health.

it seems that the whole quoting part is connected with 'conventional view'. Am I missing anything?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Carotenoids, a family of natural pigments, form an important part of [#permalink]
Foi2Evei2 wrote:
Hi expert GMATNinja

I am wondering about question 4 between A and E

Quote:
4. The passage implies which of the following about the insects from which animals acquire carotenoids?

(A) They do not produce carotenoids themselves.
(E) They are available in greater abundance than are carotenoid-bearing plants.

I understand that, from second sentence, we know animals will get this carotenoid from external source (direct/indirect) because they cannot produce it.

But this question is specific to "insect". Why animal eat insect instead of other options e.g. plants and algae.

is there something I missing?

Hey Foi2Evei2,

I am no expert but see if this helps.
1. I am not 100% sure you inferred the direct/indirect thing that you mentioned here (highlighted). Of course the animas cannot produce is, but what does the author really mean by direct vs indirect resources. He mentions that direct resources, i.e, plants can produce the Caretonoids themselves. This tells us that the other sources are indirect as the insects cannot produce the carotenoids themselves. The insects eat plans and acquire Carotenoids and then the animals eat those very insects.

2. Coming to the question - The question is not asking you why animals eat insects instead of other options. There is no info given in the passage to suggest that so it would be impossible to answer this. The question is simply asking "which of the following does the passage imply about insects". And the inference is that they cannot produce the chemicals themselves. As far as option E goes, it is not mentioned anywhere in the passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi~experts

i want to ask something about question1: whether males with brighter carotenoid-based coloration are the healthier males or not? I just can not find the logical expression in this passage…

thanks in advance~
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:
3. The passage suggests that relatively bright carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of which of the following characteristics in males of certain animal species?

(A) Readiness for mating behavior
(B) Ability to fight
(C) Particular feeding preferences
(D) Recovery from parasite infestation
(E) Fitness as a mate

Dear GMATNinja

I struggle between D and E, I chose D because the statement "
Quote:
whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease
"
Does not it imply that recovered from carotenoids?

Please help.

Bright carotenoid-based coloration might indicate a strong immune system and, thus, an ability to recover well from a parasite infestation. But bright carotenoid-based coloration does NOT indicate that the animal IS recovering from parasite infestation. The coloration is a sign that the male is fit as a mate, not that the male is actively recovering from an illness or infection.

In other words, you cannot point to male with bright carotenoid-based coloration and say, "oh, that male must be recovering from a parasite infestation right now."

I hope that helps!

What about option A? Option A and option E are very close
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30896 [1]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Vatsal,

Let me try to help here. Let us look at option A.

From the passage, all we know is that relatively bright carotenoid coloration is a signal for females that the individual is a good choice for mating. Females prefer males with brighter carotenoid coloration. Or in other words, for the females, brighter coloration is a signal of fitness as a mate (these males are viewed as better mates).

Does this necessarily mean that these males are more ready for mating than other males? Can we say that the brighter carotenoid coloration is a signal of these males' readiness/preparedness/willingness for mating?

Not really. Whether a male is a better choice as a mate is not really the same as whether a male is ready for mating behavior.

Which is why option E is incorrect, and option A is correct.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Harsha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 497
Send PM
Carotenoids, a family of natural pigments, form an important part of [#permalink]
Hi Experts,

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
egmat

I went through all the explanation multiple times and still not convinced with the explanation for Q1 and Q3.

For Q1: According to the “conventional view” referred to in line 13 of the passage, brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species suggests that an individual

My understanding of conventional view : healthier males can forage for more of the pigments than can their inferior counterparts
The comparison is between healthier males and unhealthier males. Acc. to passage, healthier males have the capability to forage for more pigments. Now how healthier males capability of foraging would be meaningful in the context of mate selection.
Because they are healthier, they have the capability of foraging for more pigments or Because they can forage for more pigments, they are healthier. So ultimately males are healthier and therefore have a good immune system.
If answer is D, why conventional view has mentioned "healthier males" comparison?
I think how conventional view "rare" is related to mate selection was unclear from the passage. The clarity might help to resolve the confusion btw C and D.

Q3: 3. The passage suggests that relatively bright carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of which of the following characteristics in males of certain animal species?

Acc to question, bright carotenoid-based is signal of "characteristics in males"
The reason used to select A over E was based on female behaviour (GMAT Ninja explanation - The passage makes clear that females prefer bright coloration when choosing a mate. Presumably, that coloration is indicative of a male’s fitness as a mate. Otherwise, females would not prefer it. With that in mind, (E) is the correct answer to question 3.)

In the last 2 line of the passage, it is mentioned that males can use carotenoid either to boost immunity or attract females. If males are choosing to advertise that they are genetically resistant, the intention is to attract females by bright coloration instead of boosting immunity. This reason suggests that males are showing willingness for mating behaviour compared to other males who choose to boost immunity.

(E) Fitness as a mate

Please help me to understand where I went wrong.
Thanks in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65278 [2]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
Hi Experts,

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
egmat

I went through all the explanation multiple times and still not convinced with the explanation for Q1 and Q3.

For Q1: According to the “conventional view” referred to in line 13 of the passage, brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species suggests that an individual

My understanding of conventional view : healthier males can forage for more of the pigments than can their inferior counterparts
The comparison is between healthier males and unhealthier males. Acc. to passage, healthier males have the capability to forage for more pigments. Now how healthier males capability of foraging would be meaningful in the context of mate selection.
Because they are healthier, they have the capability of foraging for more pigments or Because they can forage for more pigments, they are healthier. So ultimately males are healthier and therefore have a good immune system.
If answer is D, why conventional view has mentioned "healthier males" comparison?
I think how conventional view "rare" is related to mate selection was unclear from the passage. The clarity might help to resolve the confusion btw C and D.

Q3: 3. The passage suggests that relatively bright carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of which of the following characteristics in males of certain animal species?

Acc to question, bright carotenoid-based is signal of "characteristics in males"
The reason used to select A over E was based on female behaviour (GMAT Ninja explanation - The passage makes clear that females prefer bright coloration when choosing a mate. Presumably, that coloration is indicative of a male’s fitness as a mate. Otherwise, females would not prefer it. With that in mind, (E) is the correct answer to question 3.)

In the last 2 line of the passage, it is mentioned that males can use carotenoid either to boost immunity or attract females. If males are choosing to advertise that they are genetically resistant, the intention is to attract females by bright coloration instead of boosting immunity. This reason suggests that males are showing willingness for mating behaviour compared to other males who choose to boost immunity.

(E) Fitness as a mate

Thanks in advance.

This is what the passage says:

Carotenoids form an important part of the colorful signals used by many animals.

Animals acquire carotenoids from plants or insects.

When choosing mates, females prefer males with brighter carotenoid-based coloration. Why? If carotenoids were either rare or required for health, then females would have a preference for them.

Conventional view is that carotenoids are meaningful because they are rare:
Healthier males can forage for more of the pigments than can their inferior counterparts.
(So more carotenoids show more ability to forage)

Now there is evidence that carotenoids are meaningful also because they are required:
They are used by the immune system and for detoxification. Males that are more susceptible to disease and parasites will have to use their carotenoids to boost their immune systems, whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease and will advertise this by using the pigments for flashy display instead.

1. According to the “conventional view” referred to in line 13 of the passage, brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species suggests that an individual

(A) lives in a habitat rich in carotenoid-bearing plants and insects

What does conventional view say? That there is superior foraging capacity. This is right out of the passage.
"Superior immune system" is claimed by new evidence, not by conventional view. Conventional view only implies physically healthier since there is more foraging capacity.

Hence, (D) is correct.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65278 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:

(E) Fitness as a mate

Thanks in advance.

3. The passage suggests that relatively bright carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of which of the following characteristics in males of certain animal species?

(B) Ability to fight
(E) Fitness as a mate

The question asks that as per the passage, carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of what character in males? If you see a male with carotenoid-based coloration, what will you think it means? The passage tells us that the current view is that it signals that the male is not only physically healthy (high foraging capability) but also has a better immune system.

Mind you, the question is not asking what the male is trying to signal by his flashy display. It is asking what it signals about the male's characteristics. The fact that he has carotenoids for a flashy display means that his immunity and health are sorted by themselves. That is why the females prefer him over other males who might be ready to mate too.

Answer (E)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7660 [2]
Given Kudos: 216
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Question 1

According to the “conventional view” referred to in line 13 of the passage, brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species suggests that an individual

(A) lives in a habitat rich in carotenoid-bearing plants and insects No mention of this

(B) has efficient detoxification processes This is the what has been suggested as an alternative to the conventional views

(C) has a superior immune system It is only towards the end of the passage that genetically resistant males have been referred to.

(D) possesses superior foraging capacity The passage state that “healthier males can forage for more of the pigments than can their inferior counterparts.”

(E) is currently capable of reproducing No mention of this

Question 2

The idea that carotenoid-based coloration is significant partly because carotenoids are required for health suggests that a lack of bright coloration in a male is most likely to indicate which of the following?

(A) Inefficient detoxification processes The passage does mention using carotenoids for detoxification processes. What the passage does not tell us is how efficient the detoxification processes are. Because of this, we cannot conclude that "a lack of bright coloration in a male is most likely to indicate" that those males have "inefficient detoxification processes."

(B) Immunity to parasite infestation The lack of bright coloration does not mean that the animal is immune to parasite infestations. As a matter of fact, the opposite could be inferred.

(C) Low genetic resistance to disease If carotenoids are required for health, then a lack of this coloration will imply that these animals will be susceptible to poor health, i.e., they will have a low resistance to disease.

(D) Lack of interest in mating We can’t infer this

(E) Lack of carotenoid-storing tissues We can’t infer this

Question 3

The passage suggests that relatively bright carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of which of the following characteristics in males of certain animal species?

(A) Readiness for mating behavior We can’t infer anything about the readiness for mating

(B) Ability to fight We can’t infer anything about the ability to fight

(C) Particular feeding preferences We can’t infer anything about feeding preferences

(D) Recovery from parasite infestation We can’t infer anything about recovery from infestation

(E) Fitness as a mate The last sentence says that “males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease and will advertise this by using the pigments for flashy display instead

Question 4

The passage implies which of the following about the insects from which animals acquire carotenoids?

(A) They do not produce carotenoids themselves. The passage mentions that the animal “indirectly” acquire carotenoids from “insects” This may mean that insects acquire the carotenoids by feeding on plants or algae that produce them. So, insects do not produce themselves.

(B) They use carotenoids primarily for coloration. We can’t infer how the insects have been using the carotenoids.

(C) They maintain constant levels of carotenoids in their tissues. We can’t infer anything about the level carotenoids in the insects’ tissues

(D) They are unable to use carotenoids to boost their immune system. We can’t infer this about the insects.

(E) They are available in greater abundance than are carotenoid-bearing plants. We can’t infer this

Question 5

Information in the passage suggests that which of the following is true of carotenoids that a male animal uses for detoxification processes?

(A) They were not acquired directly from plants and algae. The passage suggests that carotenoids can be acquired from plants or insects

(B) They cannot be replenished through foraging. If animals get carotenoids from algae or plants or by eating insects they can replenish carotenoids

(C) They cannot be used simultaneously to brighten coloration. This is mentioned in the passage. "It may be that males can use scarce carotenoids either for immune defense and detoxification or for attracting females". (Even though it says “may be”, this is the best option)

(D) They do not affect the animal's susceptibility to parasites. Carotenoids can be used to bolster the immune system, hence this answer is incorrect

(E) They increase the chances that the animal will be selected as a mate. It actually weakens the chances because carotenoids used for detoxification can't be used to increase brightness, leading to a higher chance of mating

- Nitha Jay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Kudos
CrackverbalGMAT wrote:
Question 1

According to the “conventional view” referred to in line 13 of the passage, brighter carotenoid-based coloration in certain species suggests that an individual

(A) lives in a habitat rich in carotenoid-bearing plants and insects No mention of this

(B) has efficient detoxification processes This is the what has been suggested as an alternative to the conventional views

(C) has a superior immune system It is only towards the end of the passage that genetically resistant males have been referred to.

(D) possesses superior foraging capacity The passage state that “healthier males can forage for more of the pigments than can their inferior counterparts.”

(E) is currently capable of reproducing No mention of this

Question 2

The idea that carotenoid-based coloration is significant partly because carotenoids are required for health suggests that a lack of bright coloration in a male is most likely to indicate which of the following?

(A) Inefficient detoxification processes The passage does mention using carotenoids for detoxification processes. What the passage does not tell us is how efficient the detoxification processes are. Because of this, we cannot conclude that "a lack of bright coloration in a male is most likely to indicate" that those males have "inefficient detoxification processes."

(B) Immunity to parasite infestation The lack of bright coloration does not mean that the animal is immune to parasite infestations. As a matter of fact, the opposite could be inferred.

(C) Low genetic resistance to disease If carotenoids are required for health, then a lack of this coloration will imply that these animals will be susceptible to poor health, i.e., they will have a low resistance to disease.

(D) Lack of interest in mating We can’t infer this

(E) Lack of carotenoid-storing tissues We can’t infer this

Question 3

The passage suggests that relatively bright carotenoid-based coloration is a signal of which of the following characteristics in males of certain animal species?

(A) Readiness for mating behavior We can’t infer anything about the readiness for mating

(B) Ability to fight We can’t infer anything about the ability to fight

(C) Particular feeding preferences We can’t infer anything about feeding preferences

(D) Recovery from parasite infestation We can’t infer anything about recovery from infestation

(E) Fitness as a mate The last sentence says that “males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease and will advertise this by using the pigments for flashy display instead

Question 4

The passage implies which of the following about the insects from which animals acquire carotenoids?

(A) They do not produce carotenoids themselves. The passage mentions that the animal “indirectly” acquire carotenoids from “insects” This may mean that insects acquire the carotenoids by feeding on plants or algae that produce them. So, insects do not produce themselves.

(B) They use carotenoids primarily for coloration. We can’t infer how the insects have been using the carotenoids.

(C) They maintain constant levels of carotenoids in their tissues. We can’t infer anything about the level carotenoids in the insects’ tissues

(D) They are unable to use carotenoids to boost their immune system. We can’t infer this about the insects.

(E) They are available in greater abundance than are carotenoid-bearing plants. We can’t infer this

Question 5

Information in the passage suggests that which of the following is true of carotenoids that a male animal uses for detoxification processes?

(A) They were not acquired directly from plants and algae. The passage suggests that carotenoids can be acquired from plants or insects

(B) They cannot be replenished through foraging. If animals get carotenoids from algae or plants or by eating insects they can replenish carotenoids

(C) They cannot be used simultaneously to brighten coloration. This is mentioned in the passage. "It may be that males can use scarce carotenoids either for immune defense and detoxification or for attracting females". (Even though it says “may be”, this is the best option)

(D) They do not affect the animal's susceptibility to parasites. Carotenoids can be used to bolster the immune system, hence this answer is incorrect

(E) They increase the chances that the animal will be selected as a mate. It actually weakens the chances because carotenoids used for detoxification can't be used to increase brightness, leading to a higher chance of mating

- Nitha Jay

CrackverbalGMAT

question 2 option B

I understand that The lack of bright coloration does not mean that the animal is immune to parasite infestations.

I'm not sure what does option B mean.. "Immunity to parasite infestation" << Birds are already good health and good immune system. or Birds utilize all carotenoids to enhance immune system because they got infected.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
I was considering choice A and choice E. But, I chose A. Could you please help clarify why choice E is the correct one ?
Appreciate your help.[/quote]
Quote:

Consider this quote from the passage:

"Studies of several animal species have shown that when choosing mates, females prefer males with brighter carotenoid-based coloration."

In other words, a male’s bright, carotenoid-based coloration makes it a more desirable mate for females.

Now, let’s take a look at (A) and (E) to see if we can find a reason to eliminate each answer choice. Here’s (A):

Quote:

So, does the passage suggest that bright, carotenoid-based coloration signals that an animal is READY to mate? It definitely suggests that such coloration signals a DESIRABLE mate, but that is different than being READY for mating behavior. In other words, an animal could be a desirable mate but still not be ready to mate. Eliminate (A).

And here’s (E):

Quote:
(E) Fitness as a mate

You could claim the passage doesn’t mention the fitness as a mate of an animal with bright, carotenoid-based coloration, but the question asks what the passage suggests. The passage makes clear that females prefer bright coloration when choosing a mate. Presumably, that coloration is indicative of a male’s fitness as a mate. Otherwise, females would not prefer it. With that in mind, (E) is the correct answer to question 3.

I hope that helps![/quote]

Where in the text does it say that coloration is an indicative of a male's fitness as a mate ? In the passage the author only says that Females prefer males with cartenoids over others, it doesn't say that cartenoids are an indicator of male's Fitness, or readiness to mate. Fit to mate, Ready to mate, nothing about all that. A can be eliminated the same way E can. if you have more explanation to elaborate i will be very happy if you clear my doubts on this one.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65278 [0]
Send PM
Carotenoids, a family of natural pigments, form an important part of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Farouksa wrote:
Where in the text does it say that coloration is an indicative of a male's fitness as a mate ? In the passage the author only says that Females prefer males with cartenoids over others, it doesn't say that cartenoids are an indicator of male's Fitness, or readiness to mate. Fit to mate, Ready to mate, nothing about all that. A can be eliminated the same way E can. if you have more explanation to elaborate i will be very happy if you clear my doubts on this one.

Everything after 'The conventional view' indicates that carotenoids represent healthy males.

The conventional view is that carotenoids are meaningful because they are rare: healthier males can forage for more of the pigments than can their inferior counterparts. Although this may be true, there is growing evidence that carotenoids are meaningful also because they are required: they are used by the immune system and for detoxification processes that are important for maintaining health. It may be that males can use scarce carotenoids either for immune defense and detoxification or for attracting females. Males that are more susceptible to disease and parasites will have to use their carotenoids to boost their immune systems, whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease and will advertise this by using the pigments for flashy display instead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Farouksa wrote:

Everything after 'The conventional view' indicates that carotenoids represent healthy males.

The conventional view is that carotenoids are meaningful because they are rare: healthier males can forage for more of the pigments than can their inferior counterparts. Although this may be true, there is growing evidence that carotenoids are meaningful also because they are required: they are used by the immune system and for detoxification processes that are important for maintaining health. It may be that males can use scarce carotenoids either for immune defense and detoxification or for attracting females. Males that are more susceptible to disease and parasites will have to use their carotenoids to boost their immune systems, whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease and will advertise this by using the pigments for flashy display instead.

a healthy male is not necessarily a male that it ready/fit for mating. How can we infer that « a healthy male » is a male fit for mating ? Can we infer that in the first place ? I really really doubt that to be honest

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V34
4/4 in 5 minutes.

I tend to find science-based articles easier than other types, any suggestion on how to improve my CR ability with other types?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Quote:
RC00423-05
5. Information in the passage suggests that which of the following is true of carotenoids that a male animal uses for detoxification processes?

(A) They were not acquired directly from plants and algae.
(B) They cannot be replenished through foraging.
(C) They cannot be used simultaneously to brighten coloration.
(D) They do not affect the animal's susceptibility to parasites.
(E) They increase the chances that the animal will be selected as a mate.

dear experts,
I am struggling this question between C and D.

I crossed off C because I think they can be used detoxified and brighten coloration simultaneously. in the passage, it says whereas males that are genetically resistant will use fewer carotenoids for fighting disease and will advertise this by using the pigments for flashy display instead..

I picked up D because the passage says Males that are more susceptible to disease and parasites will have to use their carotenoids to boost their immune systems,, from this, no matter how many carotenoids, if they are susceptible , they will still be susceptible . the point is how many they can use is fewer then those genetically resistant. so in my opinion, they do not affect susceptibility.

aggregate your elaboration.
PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 350
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi
In question no.3, shouldn't (A) Readiness for mating behavior be the answer because of the line:

" It may be that males can use scarce carotenoids either for immune defense and detoxification or for attracting females."

The only option that fits that criteria is A, because fitness is a broader concept that could go beyond immune defense and detoxification

(B) Ability to fight
(E) Fitness as a mate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40 (Online)
GPA: 2.54
Send PM
To answer Q-4, we need to carefully look at the terms "directly" & "indirectly" mentioned in the passage.
"Directly" from plants => Plants & Algae that produce Cartenoids.
or
"Indirectly" by eating insects => Here, indirectly means taking an additional step. i.e. taking Cartenoids from plants & algae via insects
Therefore, it can be inferred that insects do not produce Cartenoids!

This was my first post on GMAT club, hope it helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14022 posts