Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 20:03 It is currently 11 May 2024, 20:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1613 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42111 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
If C has ambiguity and therefore out of the reckoning, may I ask which is the correct choice then?
Discussions apart, we are here to find the best of available choices.

Are A and B , which are both outright fragments without a main clause, the contenders?
Or anyone between D, and E, each of which also uses the pronoun 'he, ' is the contender.
If this question were to come in the hall, what would one do?

This is what GMAT wants to know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie [#permalink]
While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie Blake, as both a vaudeville performer and as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying an independent career as a singer with such groups as Hahn's Jubilee Singers.

(A) and as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying
(B) and writing lyrics for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying
(C) and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed
(D) as well as writing lyrics for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed
(E) as well as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he had also enjoyed

In the main sentence above, first clause is dependent; the second clause must be independent. So, answer options A and B are eliminated.

Let, A = a vaudeville performer
B = a lyricist

Here, the proper idiomatic expression is 'both A and B'. the use of 'both A as well as B' is non-idiomatic. So, option D and E will be eliminated as well. Besides, the past perfect tense has been used unnecessarily in optionE.

C is the correct answer option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
Send PM
[DOUBT] Re: While Noble Sissle may be best known [#permalink]
I finally shortlisted Option C [POE].

One Doubt when I replace option C [Correct answer in the actual question stem]

While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie Blake, as both a vaudeville performer and as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying an independent career as a singer with such groups as Hahn's Jubilee Singers.

Replacement:

While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie Blake, as both a vaudeville performer and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed an independent career as a singer with such groups as Hahn's Jubilee Singers.

Doubt :

Is this not a clause [ Like an Independent Clause which should be separated by either ; or , + FANBOYS]

[,he also enjoyed ......Hahn's Jubilee Singers]

Please resolve this doubt :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1331 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Re: While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie [#permalink]
LithiumIon wrote:

(C) and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed

(A) and as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying - Wrong: 1) Parallelism 2) Structure
(B) and writing lyrics for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying - Wrong: 1) Parallelism 2) Structure
(C) and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed - Correct
(D) as well as writing lyrics for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed - Wrong: 1) Parallelism 2) Idiom
(E) as well as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he had also enjoyed - Wrong: 1) Parallelism 2) Idiom 3) Verb
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 225
GRE 1: Q167 V162
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja ,daagh

and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed

In option - c , how can , alone can separate two independent clauses ?

Please clarify this doubt
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
A. and as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying
“both a vaudeville performer and as a lyricist…” – should be both X and Y; bizarre parallelism here with “also enjoying” – this makes it an incomplete sentence

B. and writing lyrics for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying
“both a vaudeville performer and writing lyrics…” – should be both X and Y; bizarre parallelism here with “also enjoying” – this makes it an incomplete sentence

C. and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed
good.

D. as well as writing lyrics for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed
both X as well as…wrong; “writing lyrics” is not parallel with “performer”

E. as well as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he had also enjoyed
both X as well as…wrong; the two events took place at the same logical time; essentially, as it is though, it states Sissle worked independently then worked with Blake, skewing the meaning.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63852 [0]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
praveena1234 wrote:
GMATNinja ,daagh

and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed

In option - c , how can , alone can separate two independent clauses ?

Please clarify this doubt

The clauses in (C) aren't independent. To see why, consider a case in which you do have two independent clauses separated by a comma.

Tim tends to put full candy bars in his children's pancakes, he considers himself a health nut.

This is no good: each clause can stand on its own, and the two clauses are separated by a comma, so we have a run-on sentence.

However, watch what happens when we throw a conjunction in front of the first clause:

Although Tim tends to put full candy bars in his children's pancakes, he considers himself a health nut.

The word "although" function as a conjunction, or, if you like the fancier terminology, a subordinator. What's important is that the first clause is no longer independent, so the sentence is now fine.

Same deal in (C):

"While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie Blake, as both a vaudeville performer, and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed an independent career as a singer with such groups as Hahn's Jubilee Singers."

"While" is playing the same role in this sentence as "although" in the previous one. It functions as a conjunction that connects the two clauses, so the construction is fine.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

This sentence lacks a main verb! It also violates the 'both ...and' idiom because of the extra 'as'

This sentence lacks a main verb!

(C) and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed Correct

'both...and' is the correct idiom

'both...and' is the correct idiom
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Quote:
as both a vaudeville performer and a lyricist

Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja, I have one query related to idioms in this question, had option C used both..as well as.. keeping everything same would it still have been the correct answer choice?

Also, if the answer to my above query is yes, then what would have been the correct answer, if we would have both the options i.e.

Quote:

and
Quote:
as both a vaudeville performer as well as a lyricist
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65232 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
Quote:

Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja, I have one query related to idioms in this question, had option C used both..as well as.. keeping everything same would it still have been the correct answer choice?

Also, if the answer to my above query is yes, then what would have been the correct answer, if we would have both the options i.e.

Quote:

and
Quote:

You can use either but not both together:

... both A and B...

... A as well as B...

are correct.

But ... both A as well as B... is not correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
RohitSaluja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

and
Quote:

You can use either but not both together:

... both A and B...

... A as well as B...

are correct.

But ... both A as well as B... is not correct.

KarishmaB

Thank you for this helpful explanation. I wanted to clarify the explanations as to why Choice E is incorrect with you, as it uses a past perfect verb. The explanations all say that past perfect tense is not true to the original meaning. However, from my understanding for GMAT sentence correction problems, we do not necessarily need to abide to the original meaning... just the answer choice that is the most clear and concise.

I understand why E is incorrect for its use of "as well as". But to clarify, is use the past perfect tense incorrect mainly because the sentence does not clearly tell you that he did work as an independent singer before working on a collaboration? I find this a bit tricky, but perhaps the GMAT would always provide another way to eliminate a choice like this rather than deciding between past perfect tense if I am not 100% when the events occurred based on the information provided.

Thank you for all of your time and help.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65232 [2]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:

KarishmaB

Thank you for this helpful explanation. I wanted to clarify the explanations as to why Choice E is incorrect with you, as it uses a past perfect verb. The explanations all say that past perfect tense is not true to the original meaning. However, from my understanding for GMAT sentence correction problems, we do not necessarily need to abide to the original meaning... just the answer choice that is the most clear and concise.

I understand why E is incorrect for its use of "as well as". But to clarify, is use the past perfect tense incorrect mainly because the sentence does not clearly tell you that he did work as an independent singer before working on a collaboration? I find this a bit tricky, but perhaps the GMAT would always provide another way to eliminate a choice like this rather than deciding between past perfect tense if I am not 100% when the events occurred based on the information provided.

Thank you for all of your time and help.

There are usually a combination of factors that make one option better than the other.

(C) uses 'both A and B' which is the structure we like. Option (E) uses 'both A as well as B' - not the best structure.

Consider the tenses in options (C) and (E)

While A may be best known for B, he also did C.

While A may be best known for B, he had also done C. - Why are we using past perfect? Is there a sequence of two actions in the past that we need to show? No. We don't know which action happened first, which later or whether both happened at the same time. Are we trying to talk about an action before a point in time? No.
Then past perfect does not make sense. He did B and C in the past during his career. All we are saying is that he is most known for B, but he also did C.
Hence, (C) is better than (E) on two counts.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
If we compare first few words of answer choices,

we see a difference of "and" vs "as well as"

There is a pattern in GMAT

When we have difference between "and" and "as well as"

Check for "both X and Y" Construction

If we read before the underline portion

we can see "both",

So, we need "both" followed by "and"

Eliminate D and E

Next check X and Y, they must be parallel

X is "a vaudeville performer"

Word after "and" must be parallel to "a vaudeville performer"

In options A

word after "and" is "as a lyricist", which is not parallel to ""a vaudeville performer"

Eliminate A.

In option B,

word after "and" is "writing", which is not parallel to "a vaudeville performer"

Eliminate B

Hence C is the correct answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
What is the antecedent of "he"?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7789 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kartikeya40

This has been well covered earlier in the thread. I'd add to this that the GMAT doesn't really test pronoun ambiguity.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
atshy21saraf wrote:
rlitagmatstudy wrote:
How do we know to which noun the Pronoun "he" in answer choice C refers to? It can refer to Noble Sissle and Eubie Blake. I think pronoun "he" is ambiguous here.

Same doubt and the only reason I negated C.
Any expert??

Noble Sissle is clearly the subject of the sentence, because Eubie Blake is an object (we can tell this because he is preceded by the preposition "with"), so the "he" after the final comma refers to Noble, not Eubie.

For example, in the sentence:

"Although President Obama had a cordial meeting with President-elect Trump, he privately feared for the future of the nation."

you can see that the "he" clearly refers to Obama, since Obama is the subject of the opening clause, and Trump is the object (preceded by "with").

More practically speaking from a GMAT test-taker standpoint, that particular concern--pronoun ambiguity--is rendered irrelevant by the fact that none of the answer choices offers a more explicit reference to the subject that follows the final comma.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts