Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
CBS School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GRE 1: Q170 V163
GPA: 2.83
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
mahika16 wrote:
I have a doubt regarding connectivity - I do have a stable wifi connection but the light does trip once in a while and come back on, in case my light trips can I connect the test to mobile hotspot? I checked the speed and I have unlimited data so I think it provides decent connectivity as well but I am not sure if the test will support the switch of network

I recommend to keep inverter for backup power and refrain from using mobile hotspot.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
indonihon wrote:
mahika16 wrote:
I have a doubt regarding connectivity - I do have a stable wifi connection but the light does trip once in a while and come back on, in case my light trips can I connect the test to mobile hotspot? I checked the speed and I have unlimited data so I think it provides decent connectivity as well but I am not sure if the test will support the switch of network

I recommend to keep inverter for backup power and refrain from using mobile hotspot.

There is generator backup but it takes a few minutes to switch from the line to generator so I do have 1/2 minute spots without electricity - what happens to the test then?
My mobile hotspot has 13mbps and wifi has 15mbps net speed so I suppose that is not an issue with mobile hotspot, is there any other concerns for mobile hotpsot? Is it prohibited from GMAT Online use? I tried the system check with it as well and it seemed to work fine
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think the terms and conditions tell you not to use the mobile hotspot but it’s not clear why and quite a few people have used it successfully. They can’t tell what kind of connection you really are using and whether it’s a mobile hotspot or not. My guess is that they didn’t want you fiddling with a cell phone and having it close to your computer and that is why they don’t want you to use the hotspot. It really is a mystery and a puzzle.

Bottom line is that quite a few people have used it without issues save the mobile hotspot provides a better connection then you might as well use it. Bottom line, use the most reliable connection to take that uncertainty out of your test taking experience.

mahika16 wrote:
indonihon wrote:
mahika16 wrote:

There is generator backup but it takes a few minutes to switch from the line to generator so I do have 1/2 minute spots without electricity - what happens to the test then?
My mobile hotspot has 13mbps and wifi has 15mbps net speed so I suppose that is not an issue with mobile hotspot, is there any other concerns for mobile hotpsot? Is it prohibited from GMAT Online use? I tried the system check with it as well and it seemed to work fine

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[quote="bb"]I think the terms and conditions tell you not to use the mobile hotspot but it’s not clear why and quite a few people have used it successfully. They can’t tell what kind of connection you really are using and whether it’s a mobile hotspot or not. My guess is that they didn’t want you fiddling with a cell phone and having it close to your computer and that is why they don’t want you to use the hotspot. It really is a mystery and a puzzle.

Bottom line is that quite a few people have used it without issues save the mobile hotspot provides a better connection then you might as well use it. Bottom line, use the most reliable connection to take that uncertainty out of your test taking experience.

Thank you so much bb! Makes sense - also another query. I have seen a lot of stories where a lot of people's exam get cancelled due to some behaviour that the proctor thought could account as cheating which is rather scary tbh. I use the finger method to finalise on my answer choice (as suggested by someone on GCLUB) - I wanted to confirm that this doesn't account as "cheating" in the GMAT Online proctor's mind? In case you have any info of if someone has faced this issue before
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Most of the time mumbling is the main issue. However, they can’t really see your hands and there’s no requirement that the hands have to be on camera. The whiteboard doesn’t have to be on camera either. So you can always keep your hands on the table and not worry about it.

PS. If you do get interrupted and you feel that it’s not justified or perhaps the interruption has wasted a lot of your time, I suggest terminating your test and calling it a technical issue and retaking it for free again. Unless you encounter a technical issue, no matter proctor interruptions or other interruptions, you will not get a free retake. Only if Your computer shuts down or you lose Internet connection only then you are eligible for a retake. You have to wait for 15 days to do that but in my mind, in case they I’m justifiably interrupt you or disrupt your test significantly, that’s atheist best option there is….

mahika16 wrote:
bb wrote:
I think the terms and conditions tell you not to use the mobile hotspot but it’s not clear why and quite a few people have used it successfully. They can’t tell what kind of connection you really are using and whether it’s a mobile hotspot or not. My guess is that they didn’t want you fiddling with a cell phone and having it close to your computer and that is why they don’t want you to use the hotspot. It really is a mystery and a puzzle.

Thank you so much bb! Makes sense - also another query. I have seen a lot of stories where a lot of people's exam get cancelled due to some behaviour that the proctor thought could account as cheating which is rather scary tbh. I use the finger method to finalise on my answer choice (as suggested by someone on GCLUB) - I wanted to confirm that this doesn't account as "cheating" in the GMAT Online proctor's mind? In case you have any info of if someone has faced this issue before

Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Agreed. In other words, if your GMAT online session is going poorly for any reason (not limited to, but especially including unfair proctor interruptions or technical issues), then you could always surreptitiously hit the power button on your computer, or unplug the power to your internet, and hope that GMAC / Pearson Due / Examity counts it as a "technical issue" and provides a free voucher code for a retake.

I'm not saying that you should. I'm just saying that you could. ;)

As long as you realize that you're taking a risk by doing so, and that there will be a delay while your case is reviewed, this strategy could be worth it, especially since we are currently allowed only 2 official attempts at the GMAT online.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
minhngoc310 wrote:
Has GMAT online increased the fee?

Because in January i booked and it was 250USD. Today I was booking to take online GMAT again on 17 May and it showed 305USD .

Has the fee increased to 305?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ahsanashfaq28 wrote:
minhngoc310 wrote:
Has GMAT online increased the fee?

Because in January i booked and it was 250USD. Today I was booking to take online GMAT again on 17 May and it showed 305USD .

Has the fee increased to 305?

Yes. I live in Italy, and I paid 305USD three days ago for online test. It was written: 250 USD for the fee and 55 USD for "estimated tax". There is no problem to add the tax, but in January I paid only 250USD, so It seems a bit strange to me.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
That is interesting that they are collecting local taxes that they were not collecting in the past… This is strange because the payment system is the same and the test provider has not changed either. Super strange

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
That is interesting that they are collecting local taxes that they were not collecting in the past… This is strange because the payment system is the same and the test provider has not changed either. Super strange

Yes definitely bb!

And I also tried to search for some news from their website about this change in the fee, but I couldn’t find any.

I have proofs of these two payments, should I contact customer service for further details?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
minhngoc310 wrote:
bb wrote:

Yes definitely bb!

And I also tried to search for some news from their website about this change in the fee, but I couldn’t find any.

I have proofs of these two payments, should I contact customer service for further details?

Would be interesting to find out what's going on... but I want to be sensitive to your time. At the same time maybe you will get $65 back?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
minhngoc310 wrote:
bb wrote:

Yes definitely bb!

Would be interesting to find out what's going on... but I want to be sensitive to your time. At the same time maybe you will get $65 back?

Or maybe I will have to pay another $55 for the previous time 😂. I will update as soon as I receive their answers.
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
MBA.com now features an official "countdown to the enhanced GMAT online" timer.

Good luck to all the early adopters! There are bound to be some technical issues as always, but select section order and instant scoring are game-changers.

As for the re-introduction of AWA, I think that GMAC should have just removed that section entirely, but hey, you can't win them all.

Source: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/g ... mat-online
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey,

I gave my test on 14th May and got my result today (18th May). The result is far below my target score, I got a 650 Q49, V30. My official mocks scores were higher than this
Mock 1: 690
Mock 2: 690
Mock 3: 740
Mock 4: 740

I wouldn't say that the online test was very difficult from the official mocks but I don't know what went wrong especially in Verbal.

Can anyone please guide me on how should I proceed, I am targeting for a 720-730 and would want to take a re-test within a month or at max month and a half?
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The enhanced GMAT online starts in less than 48 hours, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I'm genuinely excited to start reading the first few debriefs from the early adopters.

The instant scoring is a huge deal, the select section order is a big deal for those of us who prefer Verbal first, and the readdition of AWA is...disappointing, but whatever. I feel the same about the continued lack of an ESR (Enhanced Score Report) option, as well as GMAC's lack of transparency regarding this popularly requested service, but that's still not going to stop me from recommending the enhanced GMAT online to my private students, assuming all goes well—or at least OK—over the first 7-10 days.

Now, let's just hope that the Examity technology works, including the highly sketchy ESSecureBrowser, and that the early adopters don't get punished for early adoption in the same way they did last year, when many of us had to take the GMAT online without the ability to take physical notes.

As many of you know, early GMAT online test-takers encountered numerous technological challenges (exam glitches, camera issues, registration and scheduling issues, computer problems, proctor problems, etc.) with the rollout of the online exam and Pearson Vue's OnVue secure browser, not to mention the overly restrictive exam rules, which required a fixed section order (Q,V,IR), permitted only the use of a clunky online whiteboard for notes, and did not allow a break between Quant and Verbal, as is done on the test-center GMAT. And don't forget to keep your face and eyes on camera at all times, or your exam could be cancelled at any moment, as it was on my first attempt, for "looking off screen" before the exam even began.

Since then, not only has a physical whiteboard become an option, but "unofficial" scoring is now instant, and we can choose our preferred section order. That's a win for this community, for sure—even if we do have to write the essay again.

Are there other GMAT tutors / experts out there who are considering coming out of "retirement" to try the Examity version of the GMAT online?

How about you, souvik101990? Historically (and unlike some other less-humble tutors who would rather sit on their ancient GMAT scores), you have always been up for the challenge when the GMAT changes. I appreciate that you have approached your repeated GMAT attempts as an experiment and a learning experience, and as a way to help others on this forum. I have tried to do the same with my last 5 GMAT attempts over the last 5 years, and I strongly feel that my experiences retaking the GMAT have aided my students immeasurably.

Do you have any lifetime attempts left? As far as I know, I have 2 3.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 18 May 2021, 13:15.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 May 2021, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Are there other GMAT tutors / experts out there who are considering coming out of "retirement" to try the Examity version of the GMAT online?

How about you, souvik101990? Historically (and unlike some other less-humble tutors who would rather sit on their ancient GMAT scores), you have always been up for the challenge when the GMAT changes. I appreciate that you have approached your repeated GMAT attempts as a learning experience, and as way to help others on this forum. I have tried to do the same with my last 5 GMAT attempts over the last 5 years, and I strongly feel that my experiences retaking the GMAT have aided my students immeasurably.

Do you have any lifetime attempts left? I'm relatively sure that I have 2.

Yes, Brian, I am considering taking the new iteration of the GMAT™ Online, and I would also encourage other tutors and Experts to do so. In fact, I will create a tracker in the form of a table if enough tutors and Experts commit to taking up the challenge. Perhaps a friendly tutor-to-tutor or Expert-to-Expert challenge would give everybody involved a healthy shot in the arm. I cannot say I am resting on any laurels since I closely guard my personal information, but I feel I have something to prove to myself, and I agree with the notion you expressed above, that going through the experience would help me provide a more informed opinion in my tutoring. (I am not sure who these less-humble tutors may be, but I have been on the site only two years now.)

So, will you be taking the test with one of your remaining lifetime attempts? I am prepared to make that pledge, and two would be a party. (I could start the list.)

- Andrew
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hi Andrew,

I definitely respect that. The GMAT has evolved over the last few years, especially on Verbal, and your students deserve a tutor who has taken a recent exam, as well as the GMAT online.

However, I'm not yet quite prepared to make that pledge, because I'm still trying to score a perfect 800, I only have two three lifetime attempts remaining, and I find the test-center exam to be easier, especially on Quant.

That said, I'll probably relent and take the Examity version eventually, if only for the sake of my private students and other test takers. I do think it's a great option for many students: in particular, those with quiet homes and apartments who don't have 3 kids and 2 dogs. ;)

Other than my sound-isolated home office, which I use for online tutoring and is clearly not an allowed exam location because there are GMAT books anywhere, my home is not a quiet, comfortable place to take an exam, especially during the day when I am freshest, because of all the little humans and animals running around. Thus, so far I chosen have to wait until late at night to schedule my GMAT onlines, even though I'm more tired at that time of day than I would prefer (I usually go to bed around 11).

We all know that fatigue is a major factor on the GMAT, and that careless mistakes can be a killer. Especially given that my last few GMAT online experiences began by staring at the screen, waiting for the proctor to arrive for nearly an hour, I don't want to take the GMAT at 10 pm ever again—even in the comfort of my own home with blazing-fast fiber internet.

Maybe I'll try the hotel option, now that lockdown is no longer a thing here in Colorado: that would allow me to take the enhanced GMAT online at my preferred time slot of 2 pm.

EDIT: I just realized that I actually have 3 attempts left, since neither of my official attempts at the GMAT online so far counted toward the lifetime limit of 8 GMAT exams.

If you include my very first attempt at the GMAT online, which was terminated before the test began because I dared look to the side of the room for a moment, then that means I could be the first person in history to take the GMAT 11 times... :cool:

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 18 May 2021, 14:43.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 18 May 2021, 16:09, edited 22 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  161   162   163   164   165  ...  183