Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 12:50 It is currently 01 May 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 620 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: Age or experience limit at INSEAD - MBA vs EMBA [#permalink]
Hi LFP,

You have an interesting profile, and schools will definitely consider you to be one of the more accomplished applicants. Having said that, there is the question which you raise - where do you fit better at?

1. YOu are a bit on the older side for the regular MBA program and a bit on the younger side for the exec program. I would recommend that, if possible, you have a chat with the adcoms for both programs, and see how their counsel sits with you.

2. It is possible that they will be busy, and may not offer you a meeting. In such a situation, it becomes your call, at the end of the day.  It may even be possible to apply to both programs.

My personal feeling - is that you would fit better at the exec program at INSEAD. Given that you already work at a VC firm, it should be possible for you to find something more prestigious even after an EMBA.

All the best!  Feel free to set up a profile evaluation call, if you want to chat.
LFP wrote:
Dear all,

Your opinion is incredibly valuable at this moment!

The question is:
What is your opinion on the maximum age and experience for an MBA at INSEAD?

A bit about my background:
I am 34 years old, with just over 10 years of experience. I started working at a tier one investment bank at a very young age. I lived abroad for 3 years and gradually transitioned my career into technology companies and a venture capital fund. My dream is to pursue an MBA at INSEAD for several reasons: its multicultural environment, fast-paced program, diversity, and, of course, its reputation. GMAT score = 710 (V39Q49)

Issue:
I aspire to an international career and currently lead a small VC fund. To move to a global tier one VC fund, an MBA is practically mandatory, besides the significant networking opportunities it offers. An EMBA wouldn't serve this purpose, and I believe the experience of an MBA is more solid and life-changing.

Conclusion:
Do you believe I am wasting my time by applying? Is my profile too far off, or do I stand a chance?

I greatly appreciate the time and insight of everyone who can help!
All the best to you.

­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Specifically at the 10 year mark, things get a little dicey. I've had some people make it through and then others get offered a seat in the executive class. You have a really attractive background so I think you have a good odds but I do not think you should bet everything on this one outcome, given your age.

Consider where you land for their 4 criteria: academics/leadership/contribution/international orientation. Looks like the first and 4th are solid but we know less about your quantifiable impact, history of involvement at school and outside of school, mentorship of others, etc.

I know that VC is very status-oriented, but IESE is also very well known in Latin America and the number 3 recruiter for Europe. The alumni could not be more fanatical about the school. They have a deadline next month and I would urge you to have that as your backup plan if it’s possible for you to start this year. This is a good option if you need an internship during the normal recruitment cycle vs. INSEAD. They are having this on Thurs: https://apply.iese.edu/mbaapplicationtips25042024

That said, given that you're already working in your field of interest, you probably don't need an internship. So, I would definitely apply to Columbia January intake. The application opens in late June or early July, and you can do in semester internships, the acceptance rate is higher than the regular two year, and you're going to be with mostly entrepreneurs, sponsored candidates and family business people. Obviously, Columbia would have the cachet necessary for VC.­

­You are very kind for your answer. Thank you.
I worked hard on my GMAT and TOEFL (710 and 111), even though it was challenging with a 1-year boy at home. Got only one shot lol :) 

Couldnt ask for a recommendation at my current job, as it could sound veery strange. But I got one from a client for over 10 years plus one from a former supervisor. Both of them 60+ and previously CEOs of large inter companies.
Tried to emphasize that an MBA is a MUST for the tier-one companies I hope to work for one day. It really could leverage the progression and I can quite feel that.

It is dicey, and now the dices are thrown :)

Many thanks for the support.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAGuide wrote:
LFP wrote:
Dear all,

The question is:

I am 34 years old, with just over 10 years of experience. I started working at a tier one investment bank at a very young age. I lived abroad for 3 years and gradually transitioned my career into technology companies and a venture capital fund. My dream is to pursue an MBA at INSEAD for several reasons: its multicultural environment, fast-paced program, diversity, and, of course, its reputation. GMAT score = 710 (V39Q49)

Issue:
I aspire to an international career and currently lead a small VC fund. To move to a global tier one VC fund, an MBA is practically mandatory, besides the significant networking opportunities it offers. An EMBA wouldn't serve this purpose, and I believe the experience of an MBA is more solid and life-changing.

Conclusion:
Do you believe I am wasting my time by applying? Is my profile too far off, or do I stand a chance?

All the best to you.

­LFP INSEAD  INSEAD alumna here. You only miss the chances you don't take

In the INSEAD class, there are quite a few 34- to 36-year-olds each year, although selection is tough because of the bell curve. If you know you have what it takes to network extensively at INSEAD to get into your target positions, you should apply (it does not hurt to apply). You have a great profile.
Before doing so, however, you should schedule a meeting with a senior Adcom member to discuss your concerns that a GEMBA is not in line with your goal, which is why you are pursuing the Flagship MBA. Both programs are expensive, therefore you deserve a chance to discuss your concerns with the admissions offices before you apply. Go into this conversation well prepared. If you are able to convince them and build a rapport, you may get a positive response. Networking is key for INSEAD. Get INSEAD alumni from your target geography or space to support you with LORs or additional LORs. If you play your cards right, I am optimistic about your chances.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­

­

Dear Anchaal, thanks a lot for your kind response. I

I followed your advice and talked to Adcom about GEMBA vs MBA. She recommended even to write this down on the application, so I did it. 
It is quite clear that an MBA is a MUST for the top companies I am looking to work for. I love INSEAD's diversity and the fact that is truly international. I got to be really tired of so much bias. In VC everything is so MUCH US-proned, but we should be looking at things going on on Asia, Africa, Europe. There are so much better peers.

I am excited and truly trying my best. Hope that is the written path :)

I have great friends from INSEAD who could support me. How many letters are enough? 1? 2 is already too much?

Thanks for the help!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
AugustAcademy wrote:
Hi LFP,

You have an interesting profile, and schools will definitely consider you to be one of the more accomplished applicants. Having said that, there is the question which you raise - where do you fit better at?

1. YOu are a bit on the older side for the regular MBA program and a bit on the younger side for the exec program. I would recommend that, if possible, you have a chat with the adcoms for both programs, and see how their counsel sits with you.

2. It is possible that they will be busy, and may not offer you a meeting. In such a situation, it becomes your call, at the end of the day.  It may even be possible to apply to both programs.

My personal feeling - is that you would fit better at the exec program at INSEAD. Given that you already work at a VC firm, it should be possible for you to find something more prestigious even after an EMBA.

All the best!  Feel free to set up a profile evaluation call, if you want to chat.
LFP wrote:
Dear all,

The question is:

Issue:

Conclusion:

All the best to you.

­

­Dear Karthik, thanks for your time. I appreciate it!

Both are expensive, but to be very honest at this stage I think that the only ROI that makes sense is the MBA's. The GEMBA is definitely great, but I think that only the full immersion from an MBA can actually give that life-changing experience I look for. Plus, I do think that the MBA is a bit more prestigious and valued among recruiters. I dont want to consolidate my position, rather, I want to be eligible to work internationally in a tier one firm.

I tried to make that clear in the applications. I also got 3 calls with the Adcom. Nonetheless, I understand your evaluation and feel that I depend a lot on my storyline and of course, luck!
I will let you know what happened. 

Thanks a lot and all the best!

GMAT Club Bot