Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy Management, Finance
Schools:Cornell 2011
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Kellogg, HBS, ROSS, NYU, YALE
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
Just a question for R1 applicants....

Q3.4 i.e. What is your career vision and why is it meaningful to you?

How have your differentiated this question from a general goals essay for any other school.
Did you really indicated why MBA part in here?

Request your advice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
i talked a little bit about why MBA, but mostly i focused on my career choice and why it's meaningful...really tried to answer the question. put a lot of passion and honesty into your essay and really think about why it's meaningful to you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
maverickMBA wrote:

How have your differentiated this question from a general goals essay for any other school.

Request your advice.

Dee Leopold was at one of the events I attended, and she addressed this question directly. She said there's a reason the question didn't focus on Why MBA? Why Harvard? She said to focus on answering the question. They know you're interested in HBS by virtue of your application. Having said that, I think it's perfectly fine to weave in a sentence here and there on Why MBA / Why HBS, but I would say to make sure that 80% of the essay is directly answering the question at hand. Just my humble opinion though!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Mikus wrote:
maverickMBA wrote:

Request your advice.

Dee Leopold was at one of the events I attended, and she addressed this question directly. She said there's a reason the question didn't focus on Why MBA? Why Harvard? She said to focus on answering the question. They know you're interested in HBS by virtue of your application. Having said that, I think it's perfectly fine to weave in a sentence here and there on Why MBA / Why HBS, but I would say to make sure that 80% of the essay is directly answering the question at hand. Just my humble opinion though!

Ditto to this. Same question was asked at an on-campus info session, and same response was given.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
maverickMBA wrote:

Request your advice.

it also seems like hbs used to ask this question since it's one of the sections in the 65 hbs essays book. so there must be a reason it's no longer an explicit question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The final R1 lap has begun... good luck to everybody...!

Update on Round One
Date: December 22, 2008

Greetings from snowy Boston...

Just a few things before the office officially closes for the holiday break from December 24 through January 4.

This week - and up until the notification day on January 21 - we are reviewing candidates post-interview and also building the Round One waitlist. I expect that around 100 Round One candidates not yet invited to interview will be asked to join the waitlist on notification day. As we get a closer look at Round Two candidates, we will be inviting some of the waitlisters to interview in the Round Two cycle. Thus, you could say that a Round One waitlist decision is essentially a "further consideration" message. Everyone asked to join the waitlist will receive detailed information about the process and will have a contact person in Dillon House. We have every intention of admitting some candidates from the waitlist.

For those of you working on Round Two applications, expect a message here early next week.

Wishing you all happy, safe and peaceful holidays.

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog. ... 2008-12-22
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Mikus,

Given your excitement, I take it that you will be joining HBS over Wharton, if you get through.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS '11
 Q50  V46
Send PM
good question... with decisions coming out in 29 days, who here will be attending HBS if they get in?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
bball wrote:
good question... with decisions coming out in 29 days, who here will be attending HBS if they get in?

I applied to HBS but have not yet received an interview invitation. I can only assume that a large part of this failure is the fact that I am 29 years old. If, by some miracle, I am one of the few who are put on the W/L, I will probably pull my app and stick with my plan to attend Booth. After months of consideration, Booth just seems like the better fit.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
bball wrote:

I applied to HBS but have not yet received an interview invitation. I can only assume that a large part of this failure is the fact that I am 29 years old. If, by some miracle, I am one of the few who are put on the W/L, I will probably pull my app and stick with my plan to attend Booth. After months of consideration, Booth just seems like the better fit.

Do you think HBS has more early career applicants ( <3 years since graduation) than Wharton and Booth? I have a hunch I got waitlisted at Wharton because of that....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
HBS has more early applicants than Booth and Wharton. Their adcom are pretty clear about that and their 2008 admit stats reflect that as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
CompanyMan wrote:
Mikus,

Given your excitement, I take it that you will be joining HBS over Wharton, if you get through.

I honestly don't know what my comparative preferences are, but I do know I'd be happy at any of the schools I applied to. I try not to rank schools I haven't yet heard back from because I think that's a recipe for heartbreak... :(

Guess I'm just classic risk averse. What about you?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Mikus wrote:
CompanyMan wrote:
Mikus,

I honestly don't know what my comparative preferences are, but I do know I'd be happy at any of the schools I applied to. I try not to rank schools I haven't yet heard back from because I think that's a recipe for heartbreak... :(

Guess I'm just classic risk averse. What about you?

I think I will go to HBS if I got through everywhere.. but looks like I wont have that choice...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
does anyone know if hbs calls admits before decision day like other schools?
my interviewer said there will be an email at noon (my interview was a few weeks ago so my memory is a little fuzzy but im 90% confident that she said noon) on the decision day but now im wondering if they do anything pre-emptively, like they did with interview invites.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS '11
 Q50  V46
Send PM
js594 wrote:
does anyone know if hbs calls admits before decision day like other schools?
my interviewer said there will be an email at noon (my interview was a few weeks ago so my memory is a little fuzzy but im 90% confident that she said noon) on the decision day but now im wondering if they do anything pre-emptively, like they did with interview invites.

If past years are any indication, HBS does not call admits... I think there is only an email prompting you to check your status online. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
bball I believe you are correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]