It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 09:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 3

Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2008, 14:24
TL wrote:
foodstamp wrote:
Awesome. Thanks! +1

We should add some color and team stats like on the Kellogg thread :-D

Tweaked the front page a little bit...

Thanks.

How are your HBS essays coming along TL?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2008, 14:27
I was about to ask yall to add me to the R1 list, and then noticed you already did.... I'm so feeling the gmatclub love :-D

I also wanted to mention that I had a hub interview recently with questions very similar to those listed by other people. I had a little more focus on my choice of (non-traditional) major. The focus wasn't negative at all. I think they just wanted to learn more about my interests, passions, etc.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2008, 14:30
TL wrote:
foodstamp wrote:
Awesome. Thanks! +1

We should add some color and team stats like on the Kellogg thread :-D

Tweaked the front page a little bit...

How about totaling the # of interview invites? Also, you can add me as a not-yet-invited (do you like the subtle optimism?).

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2008, 14:40
OhThatMBA wrote:
How about totaling the # of interview invites? Also, you can add me as a not-yet-invited (do you like the subtle optimism?).

Done...and yes I do like the optimism :)

foodstamp wrote:

They are coming along, thanks for asking! I think I am finally getting comfortable with my writing "voice" in these essays, which was a big struggle for me over the last several weeks. Hopefully I can leverage a lot of these over to Stanford & Berkeley too.

How about you? Looking good for that Jan 6 deadline? :)

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: HBS Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2008, 14:51
TL wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:

Done...and yes I do like the optimism :)

foodstamp wrote:

They are coming along, thanks for asking! I think I am finally getting comfortable with my writing "voice" in these essays, which was a big struggle for me over the last several weeks. Hopefully I can leverage a lot of these over to Stanford & Berkeley too.

How about you? Looking good for that Jan 6 deadline? :)

Nice. Once you get in the swing of things, the whole process becomes much easier/faster. The first few apps always take the longest time.

I am done with all of my R2 apps! 8-) Playing the waiting game now. Hoping to hear something from SOMEWHERE at least by end of January. Wishful thinking... I know.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 06:24
I'm in for R2. Not sure how you guys are tracking it, but I'll update my info on the first page once I submit.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

Just gave my interview over the phone. I think disastrous would be a lighter word for this experience. We lost the line once and I officially suck in telephonic interviews.

A brief debrief:

Q1: Where are you right now?
Q2: How did you find the application process?
Q3: What did you learn the most about yourself from this process?
Ans: I started answering gibberish, so she stopped me and asked the question again. Then I spoke gibberish again and I guess she gave up.
Q4: Can you explain me your job in laymen terms?
Q5: Can you be more technical than that? :shock: :roll:
Q6: What is the most challenging aspect of this job?
Then we lost the line.

Q7: How do you go about mentoring your juniors? What are the challenges?
Q8: What did you learn about yourself from doing so?
Q9: How did you have to adapt your leadership style? Give example.
Q10: What is one misconception people have about you?
I tried to be humorous, fumbled, and then asked her to give me a minute to think about it. Then I spoke gibberish.
Q11: What is your career goals and what are two things you will take away from the MBA program from HBS?
Q12: What are two things you will give to the MBA class, how will your classmates remember you?
Q13: Is there anything you wish to say that has not been covered yet. Only this was where I pulled back by a personal story not covered anywhere in my application (not sure about recos). She ended on a Wow.

Then we ended with the usual good luck, we will give you a decision midday on 21st Jan by email.

Gosh!! That writeup was as horrible as the interview it self. Man, I suck today!

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 13:03
CompanyMan wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just gave my interview over the phone. I think disastrous would be a lighter word for this experience. We lost the line once and I officially suck in telephonic interviews.

A brief debrief:

Ans: I started answering gibberish, so she stopped me and asked the question again. Then I spoke gibberish again and I guess she gave up.
Then we lost the line.

I tried to be humorous, fumbled, and then asked her to give me a minute to think about it. Then I spoke gibberish.
Q11: What is your career goals and what are two things you will take away from the MBA program from HBS?
Q12: What are two things you will give to the MBA class, how will your classmates remember you?
Q13: Is there anything you wish to say that has not been covered yet. Only this was where I pulled back by a personal story not covered anywhere in my application (not sure about recos). She ended on a Wow.

Then we ended with the usual good luck, we will give you a decision midday on 21st Jan by email.

Gosh!! That writeup was as horrible as the interview it self. Man, I suck today!

Where are you located Company Man?

As for the interview, I had the same anxiety and "doomsday" after mine, actually after all of my interviews. There were definitely moments where I fumbled and the interviewer had to ask a clarifying question. I think though you have to think about your overall impression and just not these few moments in the interview. I know it is hard- I stressed over mine for at least a week straight afterwards. You probably did better than you think and remember it is just one part of your app ! Thank you for your write up though.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 15:24
I had my interview on campus today. It was very pleasant. Some questions I remember:

1. Tell me about your work experience so far.
2. Do you think you are too narrowly focused as an engineer?
3. Tell me something about your industry.
4. Extracurricular XYZ on your resume is impressive on paper...is it impressive in real life?
5. What would you change about the application process?
6. What is one misconception that people have about you?
7. Is there anything else you would like to tell us?

I think I did well. We will see Jan 21, I guess!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 23:01
hello,

I have a favor to ask. Is there anyone on the forum or browsing the forum that had the HBS interview in London. Can you contact me please?

Thanks
Emir

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 01:02
msday wrote:
I had my interview on campus today. It was very pleasant. Some questions I remember:

1. Tell me about your work experience so far.
2. Do you think you are too narrowly focused as an engineer?
3. Tell me something about your industry.
4. Extracurricular XYZ on your resume is impressive on paper...is it impressive in real life?
5. What would you change about the application process?
6. What is one misconception that people have about you?
7. Is there anything else you would like to tell us?

I think I did well. We will see Jan 21, I guess!

glad it went well msday!

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 01:28
CompanyMan wrote:
Hi Guys,

A brief debrief:

Then we lost the line.

For what it's worth, I think people blow the interview piece a bit out of proportion. My HBS interviewer was extremely nice and candid-- before we even started, he told me that the misconception often is that the adcom interview plays a pivotal role in the ultimate admissions decision. He said oftentimes people leave the interview thinking that they did really well, and then end up getting rejected. Conversely, some people leave the interview thinking that they bombed it, and ultimately get admitted. Just another data point... :)

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 14:18
OK.. Here is the situation... I was very nervous at the interview. I totally forgot interviewer's name and email... Now I cannot send a thank you email.. Is this too bad??? Can someone please share it with me if they had their interview in London.

Thanks
emir

Director
Director

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 14:23
emirtumen wrote:
OK.. Here is the situation... I was very nervous at the interview. I totally forgot interviewer's name and email... Now I cannot send a thank you email.. Is this too bad??? Can someone please share it with me if they had their interview in London.

Thanks
emir

Emir,

I interviewed on campus. The adcom member only volunteered her first name. I am not going to write a thank-you note. I highly doubt that it will affect my chances (either way). If I was a reject after I finished the interview, the thank-you note is not going to change that. Same goes for accept.

Anyway, that is my view. Thank-you notes are useless unless it is an alumni interview.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 14:32
emirtumen wrote:

Thanks
emir

I would not worry about this at all. My interviewer intentionally only gave out a "generic" email address and not his personal one. He said the committee is doing this to prevent a huge backlog of emails. I sent a thank you note to the generic email, and it got bounced because the inbox was overquota. So long story short, I wouldn't worry about it at all-- they're not expecting anything. I would even go so far as to say that they are discouraging interviewer follow-ups.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
Mikus wrote:
I would not worry about this at all. My interviewer intentionally only gave out a "generic" email address and not his personal one. He said the committee is doing this to prevent a huge backlog of emails. I sent a thank you note to the generic email, and it got bounced because the inbox was overquota. So long story short, I wouldn't worry about it at all-- they're not expecting anything. I would even go so far as to say that they are discouraging interviewer follow-ups.

Pretty funny that the adcom inbox filled up! I interviewed pretty early on, so i must have made it in time! :-) Clearly sounds like it doesn't matter given your story.

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 12

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 01:48
Thank you guys. I am relieved now. Ok..Since other schools started sending out decisions. I want to get your opinion on something. I am denied from Chicago, waitlisted from Upenn, still no word from Kellogg (but at this point I am pretty sure it is denial).. What are the odd of an HBS acceptance with this admissions track????

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 02:15
Are you a finance guy? If so i think it'll probably come to luck of the draw given the shear number of apps. And look, you got waitlisted at penn... so you've clearly got good enough game. I definitely would treat them as independent... even if it's mentally tough to do.

emirtumen wrote:
Thank you guys. I am relieved now. Ok..Since other schools started sending out decisions. I want to get your opinion on something. I am denied from Chicago, waitlisted from Upenn, still no word from Kellogg (but at this point I am pretty sure it is denial).. What are the odd of an HBS acceptance with this admissions track????

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 02:25
I am an engineer in comsumer electronics, have international experience...i tried to present a well-rounded application. the interview didnt go well though. I was way too nervous and forgot everything on my mind and just tried to make it through the interview...I was counting on Chicago and Upenn.. HBS was my long-shot..I was even suprised when I was invited to interview...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 04:55
hey! Congrats to those who got interviews. I just got waitlisted at wharton. I am a college junior and I am thinking of applying to harvard round 2. does anyone have any advice? how are the round 2 statistics compare to the round 1 stats? I know Harvard is more friendly towards younger applicants! any piece of advice will be appreciated as I do not know what to do and the deadline is approaching FAST ! thank you!!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2008, 04:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  37    Next  [ 723 posts ]