It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 87

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 04:27
Hi Guys,

Would you say that HBS interview only has customized questions from one's applications? I ask because my wharton interview didnt spring any surprises in terms of the questions asked and after reading through numerous interview debriefs, I was roughly prepared for all of them.. Even though I know that Wharton interview is blind while HBS is not, but are there any questions that are always asked in an HBS interview?
Would you say that a HBS interview would be remarkably different from say a Wharton Interview?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 907

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 07:12
CompanyMan wrote:
Hi Guys,

Would you say that HBS interview only has customized questions from one's applications? I ask because my wharton interview didnt spring any surprises in terms of the questions asked and after reading through numerous interview debriefs, I was roughly prepared for all of them.. Even though I know that Wharton interview is blind while HBS is not, but are there any questions that are always asked in an HBS interview?
Would you say that a HBS interview would be remarkably different from say a Wharton Interview?


My guess is that every HBS interview is different and that there are few overlapping questions. I say this because I had not seen on the various interview debrief sites most of the questions I was asked. However, I think one is commonly repeated - is there anything else you would like to tell us?

I'm unfamiliar with Wharton interviews, so I can't compare.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2007
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 12:33
does anyone know how many of the 100 invites are left to be sent out - or is it likely that there are no more interview invites to be released?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Posts: 165

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 18:17
I just finished my interview. It was very similar to everybody else's here: no "why HBS, why MBA" type questions. Instead they were very focused on my company, my role, and follow up questions were all related to that. Some questions related to my group/company specifically because they have been in the news lately. It was definitely the most nerve wracking one I've had, probably because it's a bit more formalized than other schools- you're not sitting with an alum chatting away at a coffee shop, etc. The one piece of advice I will give is do not bullshit- it is not necessarily a stress interview but they will press you on anything you say that piques their curiosity. As long as you know what you are talking about, you will be fine. Good luck to everybody and I hope we do well come January 21st :)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 19:06
Congrats! Sounds like it went well! The next 44 days will be not fun.

Meowzilla wrote:
I just finished my interview. It was very similar to everybody else's here: no "why HBS, why MBA" type questions. Instead they were very focused on my company, my role, and follow up questions were all related to that. Some questions related to my group/company specifically because they have been in the news lately. It was definitely the most nerve wracking one I've had, probably because it's a bit more formalized than other schools- you're not sitting with an alum chatting away at a coffee shop, etc. The one piece of advice I will give is do not bullshit- it is not necessarily a stress interview but they will press you on anything you say that piques their curiosity. As long as you know what you are talking about, you will be fine. Good luck to everybody and I hope we do well come January 21st :)

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 112

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 21:11
gt7er wrote:
if you're typing a thank-you email how do you address your interviewer (if her name was say Mary Smith, do you say "Mary" or Ms. or "Mrs. Smith"?)


what is the right form for the adcom's email addresses? <firstinitial><lastname>@ what?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 21:30
they gave us pieces of paper with our interviewer's name and a generic admissionsboard(or someting like that) @hbs.edu address. I just wrote my thank you there. I was worried about the appearance of sending to a specific address when one wasn't given to me. that said, if you are intent on reaching your individual interviewer... yes it is <firstinitial><last name>@hbs.edu

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 112

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 22:03
Meowzilla wrote:
I just finished my interview. It was very similar to everybody else's here: no "why HBS, why MBA" type questions. Instead they were very focused on my company, my role, and follow up questions were all related to that. Some questions related to my group/company specifically because they have been in the news lately. It was definitely the most nerve wracking one I've had, probably because it's a bit more formalized than other schools- you're not sitting with an alum chatting away at a coffee shop, etc. The one piece of advice I will give is do not bullshit- it is not necessarily a stress interview but they will press you on anything you say that piques their curiosity. As long as you know what you are talking about, you will be fine. Good luck to everybody and I hope we do well come January 21st :)


I also got no why HBS or why MBA questions. They were focused on all the same things for me as well. I haven't done any other interviews, but I was surprised at how friendly and conversational (although we did cover a lot in 30 min) my interviewer was because past reports indicated adcom was very serious and poker faced.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 112

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 11:34
on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being serious/cold, 10 being outgoing/extremely friendly) what have people experienced in terms of friendliness of adcom for interviews?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Posts: 165

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 12:09
bball wrote:
on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being serious/cold, 10 being outgoing/extremely friendly) what have people experienced in terms of friendliness of adcom for interviews?




Mine was maybe a 7-8. During the interview they were more professional (maybe a 6-7), but before and after, and during closing remarks, they were maybe an 8. How about you?

Also- are you basketball on the BW forums? Any idea as to what happened to the HBS thread?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2008
Posts: 23

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 12:18
bball wrote:
on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being serious/cold, 10 being outgoing/extremely friendly) what have people experienced in terms of friendliness of adcom for interviews?


A 10, for sure. She was probably the friendliest and most receptive interviewer I have encountered.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 12:25
We probably had the same person! :-) Mine was definitely a 10.

mikenyc wrote:
bball wrote:
on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being serious/cold, 10 being outgoing/extremely friendly) what have people experienced in terms of friendliness of adcom for interviews?


A 10, for sure. She was probably the friendliest and most receptive interviewer I have encountered.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 112

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 12:39
egy wrote:
We probably had the same person! :-) Mine was definitely a 10.

mikenyc wrote:
bball wrote:
on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being serious/cold, 10 being outgoing/extremely friendly) what have people experienced in terms of friendliness of adcom for interviews?


A 10, for sure. She was probably the friendliest and most receptive interviewer I have encountered.


haha, maybe we all had the same interviewer, because mine was extremely friendly as well. i was a bit shocked actually after hearing stories from current students.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 112

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 12:40
Meowzilla wrote:
bball wrote:
on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being serious/cold, 10 being outgoing/extremely friendly) what have people experienced in terms of friendliness of adcom for interviews?




Mine was maybe a 7-8. During the interview they were more professional (maybe a 6-7), but before and after, and during closing remarks, they were maybe an 8. How about you?

Also- are you basketball on the BW forums? Any idea as to what happened to the HBS thread?


yep. nope, no idea what happened the thread. I emailed the moderator asking about it but haven't heard back. GC > BW.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 169

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Location: Berkeley, CA
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2008, 14:33
Hi guys,

I'm applying for round2 and I need some advice on my essays.

I'm not sure what strengths to elaborate in each essay question. I have strong community involvement, however, I will be writing this in the "how have you been involved in the community" essay question and I do NOT want to repeat this in my accomplishments essay (main essay), although it is one of my main accomplishments.

The way I see it, each accomplishment gets 200-words max in the first essay and it won't do justice for my community involvement portion of the application.

Instead, I've chosen to use 3 of the following accomplishments:

1) a proprietary product I built at work
2) proof my leadership and initiative at work
3) my undergraduate experience which includes a summer where I first became involved in this non profit organization along with while taking up leadership positions in several organizations, playing soccer for the college team, leading a tutor program and graduating with very good grades.

There already is an "undergraduate experience" essay, but I rather use my 400-words to talk about the community involvement instead. I'm a little concerned with using my undergraduate experience in my accomplishments since I've been working for four years now and I know this essay is generally used by applicants who have limited work experience.

Would this be the right approach?

Any feedback/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2008, 08:18
Here's another sure way to get into HBS.
Date Jenna Bush or President's daughter. You won't even need a college degree....

Blake Gottesman—An argument could be made that Gottesman, the high-school boyfriend of first daughter Jenna, is the biggest winner of the Bush White House. He started off autopenning signatures in Governor Bush’s presidential campaign, then instead of going to college became the President’s “body guy,” took a break to get an MBA from Harvard (despite still never having graduated from college), and this summer returned to the White House as assistant to the President and deputy chief of staff—at 28, the youngest member of the President’s senior staff.


http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticl ... 10155.html
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2008, 09:17
Funny, when i was at my class visit at hbs, Bush's current "body guy" was visiting as well. Apparently that's a good path to hbs.

ninkorn wrote:
Here's another sure way to get into HBS.
Date Jenna Bush or President's daughter. You won't even need a college degree....

Blake Gottesman—An argument could be made that Gottesman, the high-school boyfriend of first daughter Jenna, is the biggest winner of the Bush White House. He started off autopenning signatures in Governor Bush’s presidential campaign, then instead of going to college became the President’s “body guy,” took a break to get an MBA from Harvard (despite still never having graduated from college), and this summer returned to the White House as assistant to the President and deputy chief of staff—at 28, the youngest member of the President’s senior staff.


http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticl ... 10155.html

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 217

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2008, 09:22
ninkorn wrote:
Here's another sure way to get into HBS.
Date Jenna Bush or President's daughter. You won't even need a college degree....

Blake Gottesman—An argument could be made that Gottesman, the high-school boyfriend of first daughter Jenna, is the biggest winner of the Bush White House. He started off autopenning signatures in Governor Bush’s presidential campaign, then instead of going to college became the President’s “body guy,” took a break to get an MBA from Harvard (despite still never having graduated from college), and this summer returned to the White House as assistant to the President and deputy chief of staff—at 28, the youngest member of the President’s senior staff.


http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticl ... 10155.html


I've always been astonished by the fact that he was admitted. I've read his story a few times and simply don't see why they had an interest in him. So the guy is good at making sure the President always has socks in order. Big woop - any dope can do that. What value could he possibly have added to his class other than a few funny stories about the White House (which anyone can get from a $10 book from Barnes & Noble). While I'm usually impressed by the people HBS admits, on occasion they really surprise me.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3345

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 2

Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2008, 09:45
does anyone have Jenna bush's number? I would like to date her too...just cause it will get me accepted into Harvard...studying for gmat and writting essays aint my thing..

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 2

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2008, 09:56
fresinha12 wrote:
does anyone have Jenna bush's number? I would like to date her too...just cause it will get me accepted into Harvard...studying for gmat and writting essays aint my thing..


Too late buddy. I think she's either engaged or married...(the guy probably beat you to your idea..)
But she does have a twin sister.....
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2008, 09:56

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  37    Next  [ 723 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: ydmuley



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.