It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:25

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '11
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 08:17
egy wrote:
i had a very similar experience... except no questions about "why mba" or "why hbs".

wow, interesting. you must have done a really good job explaining these in your essays then!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 09:04
I had pretty much no Why MBA or Why HBS questions as well. I was most surprised that I got virtually no questions about what I do, strengths/weaknesses, accomplishments/failures. My questions were mostly general things about my industry, hobbies and my thoughts on organizations/inspirations. Some fairly abstract stuff. I took the "anything else you'd like to cover" opportunity to discuss more specific job-related things that I didn't go into detail on in my essays.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Last edited by Rubashov1 on 04 Dec 2008, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 09:05
One of the adcoms said that they don't ask "Why HBS?" in their application for a reason. They are confident with their yield % and their competitive advantage. She implied that with limited space/time adcoms will oftentimes focus on other areas since yield is less of a problem at HBS.

(This was also a bit awkward since adcoms from other schools were also present).

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 09:26
rca215 wrote:
I had pretty much no Why MBA or Why HBS questions as well. I was most surprised that I got virtually no questions about what I do, strengths/weaknesses, accomplishments/failures. My questions were mostly general things about my industry, hobbies and my thoughts on organizations/inspirations. Some fairly abstract stuff. I took the "anything else you'd like to cover" opportunity to discuss more specific job-related things that I didn't go into detail on in my essays.

Interesting. for all this talk about HBS interviews counting more than other schools, it seems like everyone's experiences has been uneventful / anti-climactic. I really wonder how adcom makes decisions after interviewing...

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 09:58
I'll tell you how: I saw two people who when greeted by their friendly interviewers and asked how they were doing simply responded "good". No, "thank you", "and you?", that's it. Just silence. Silence!

bball wrote:
rca215 wrote:

Interesting. for all this talk about HBS interviews counting more than other schools, it seems like everyone's experiences has been uneventful / anti-climactic. I really wonder how adcom makes decisions after interviewing...

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 10:13
egy wrote:
I'll tell you how: I saw two people who when greeted by their friendly interviewers and asked how they were doing simply responded "good". No, "thank you", "and you?", that's it. Just silence. Silence!

:facepalm:

So either they were rude or lying about their answer (real answer being "scared shitless!").

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 10:16
rca215 wrote:
egy wrote:

So either they were rude or lying about their answer (real answer being "scared shitless!").

Yea that and they have poor English skills... unless they actually are "doing good (deeds)".

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 10:26
yah.. people were sooooo stressed in the waiting room. it was rather funny. there was a guy pacing around mumbling to himself... there were a few people playing with their cell phones... one guy looked like he had drugged himself. Another kept going to the bathroom.

i was by no means not nervous... but jeez. I actually enjoyed the interview. my person was very friendly and i really enjoyed talking to her.

bball wrote:
rca215 wrote:
egy wrote:

Yea that and they have poor English skills... unless they actually are "doing good (deeds)".

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 10:44
egy wrote:
yah.. people were sooooo stressed in the waiting room. it was rather funny. there was a guy pacing around mumbling to himself... there were a few people playing with their cell phones... one guy looked like he had drugged himself. Another kept going to the bathroom.

i was by no means not nervous... but jeez. I actually enjoyed the interview. my person was very friendly and i really enjoyed talking to her.

I agree 100%. While I'm not joyous about my interview, I actually quite liked it. The admissions group there is super friendly and easy-going.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 19:56
i agree with egy and rca215. the adcom at harvard are super nice and friendly!
i had my interview yesterday--while the adcom members are very nice, it is nearly impossible to read them at all during the interview! i was hoping and praying for some signals of approval or disapproval but nothing at all. that was expected, but still can be frustrating if you are interviewing! no trick questions--my interviewer asked me a lot about career development and my plan post MBA which i thought was interesting..

btw, question for ppl who had their interviews on campus already--
did you guys write a thankyou email to your interviewers? if so, how did you guys go about it?
i'm wondering if 1) it is customary to send a thank you note to an adcom member 2) while i got the full name of my interviewer, i actually did not ger her email address. all i have is "admissionsboard@hbs.edu", which i'm guessing is everyone on the admissions board...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 21:06
if you're typing a thank-you email how do you address your interviewer (if her name was say Mary Smith, do you say "Mary" or Ms. or "Mrs. Smith"?)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:29
i would start with "dear mary" not "ms. smith"
i think that sounds more personable since you've met the interviewer in person but thats just my two cents...

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 0

Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
It depends upon how they introduced themselves during the interview. If she says, Hi I'm Mary, then you can say Dear Mary. However, if she says, Hi, I'm Mary Smith, then I would use Mrs. Smith.

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:34
If they said "call me Mary" during the interview, go with Mary. If they just introduced themselves with their full name, I would say "Ms. Smith" (not Mrs. unless you know she is married... for a fact). For all my interviews they all stated "call me [insert first name], so my decisions were easy.

So thats my take.....

gt7er wrote:
if you're typing a thank-you email how do you address your interviewer (if her name was say Mary Smith, do you say "Mary" or Ms. or "Mrs. Smith"?)

"George is getting upset!"

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 29

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:48
Recent article on HBS debate regarding future of MBA program.

Do you guys believe current HBS MBA program needs to be updated?

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6053.html

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 16:37
did people bring copies of the resumes for HBS interviews? or literally just walk in empty handed?

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 16:40
bball wrote:
did people bring copies of the resumes for HBS interviews? or literally just walk in empty handed?

I brought a resume but my interviewer had one already.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 20:48
Quick question - As you prepare for your HBS interview, are you guys brushing up on current events? Or do you think that's beyond the scope of an HBS interview?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 21:08
NOT beyond the scope. but as long as you're a thinking/breathing person, it shouldn't be too hard to talk about all the crazy things going on in the world.

BigBad wrote:
Quick question - As you prepare for your HBS interview, are you guys brushing up on current events? Or do you think that's beyond the scope of an HBS interview?

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 21:14
ditto. Best to look prepared though. Personally, I would feel weird walking into an interview empty handed.

rca215 wrote:
bball wrote:

I brought a resume but my interviewer had one already.

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2008, 21:14

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  37    Next  [ 723 posts ] 

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: ydmuley, OasisGC, aeropower, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap