GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:06
in my case, in general I believe I did not sound confident at all in my answers I was way too nervous. She started the interview with a very specific question about my extracarricular which I was not prepared for so my answer was off and not explanatory at all. After not being able to answer the question properly I think I panicked and this mood affected the rest of the interview. Suprisingly no Why MBA, Why now, Long term, Short term plan questions... A lot about my extracarriculars, A question was: What would you want your classmates know about your country?, What do you think your contribution to the class will be?...The worst part was: Because I was in the panic mood I forgot the questions in my head that I had about HBS. So I asked the MOST STUPID question ever: I asked about how they construct sections in terms of background and profession. The question was general and I believe the answer is available somewhere online. I believe instead of being confident relaxed and explanatory, I was in panic, mumbling and could not get nice answers out of my mouth...damn it...I really get upset about myself for having the chance and screwing it up so badly...
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 22:46
I also had a panick attack during my interview.

I was prepared for the first question (academic question) but I was so nervous that my answers weren't very clear. This put me in a diffensive mood. The part I struggled the most was questions about my industry. We actually spent like 20 minutes discussing problems in my industry or how it would evolve in the future. To be honest, I don't care rats ass about my industry. So, I found myself rambling or bull-shxxing on and on. At some point, the interviewer had to ask clarifying questions to understand my incoherent logics... I came out of the interview thinking if I were the adcom, I wouldn't admit me!

Anyway, I wasn't that dissapointed though. I thought HBS was a crapshot for me, and I consider myself lucky to be even given an opportunity to interview. I have an admit from Booth and love the school. So I am mentally preparing myself for the ding already!

Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: HBS, Columbia, Wharton, BU ($$)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 10:07
Just thought I'd introduce myself. Congrats to all those who were interviewed R1 and good luck come Jan 21st.

I'll be applying R2. I'm a bit concerned after reading about HBS's slant towards younger applicants. I'm 28 and would be 29 upon matriculation. I did change careers about 3 years out of college, and I'll be mentioning that in one of the essays, so hopefully they'll think of me like a 25-year-old. :wink: I imagine I'm also a non-traditional applicant, in that my background is in entertainment (first career) and now politics and government. I'm seeking an MBA with at least some coursework in public enterprise and entrepreneurship. HBS has some good courses and the ability to cross-enroll for a few classes at the Kennedy School is very appealing. Eventually I see myself managing either a nonprofit, government agency, or a for-profit with social focus.

Thanks to all who have posted tips and links for the essays. They've been helpful as I'm polishing mine. Hopefully I'll get to use some of the excellent interview info as well.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 10:29
Hey Guys,

I am glad to see that about half applicants in this thread got R1 interview, that's pretty impressive. And thanks for sharing your interview experience.

Please count me in R2. I will submit my application soon.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 13:00
hey guys...one observation for Round 2 applicants..Although HBS is ultra selective and viewed as somewhat more elite/snob than other top MBA programs it is also one of the most human ones. The adcoms I met and talked were all ultra ultra NICE...They were all interested in me as a person, my passions, and mostly what separates me from others in terms of extracarriculars. They are aware that all the applicants are ultra-achievers with good GPAs, GMATS and work experience...so they look for what makes you tick as a person professionally and socially. The sense I got from them and the process is that they really want to get the know the person behind the applications so PLEASE: in your accomplishment essay please do not fill it with work accomplishments, at least reserve one accomplishment to talk about something you do outside of work. I know a guy who got accepted talked about how he made time to go to the opera, some others play an instrument, one was a DJ...For some polished people these sound corny and bulls.it but they value these kind of things. In my interview I was never asked Why MBA, Why now, plans for the future, but instead she probed into the extracarricular stuff that made the person behind application come alive. As everybody knows, Harvard MBA education system (case method) installs some personal attributes to the student. Being prepared before class, being able to extract related info from a long case, defending a point of view infront of other business leaders, having good communication skills.. So they value the charisma, the personality as much as the numbers in your applications. So do not be afraid to be personal and natural in your essays...

Good luck...
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 14:14
dglasser wrote:
I imagine I'm also a non-traditional applicant, in that my background is in entertainment (first career) and now politics and government.

I have a somewhat non-traditional background as well. If anything I think this will help you at HBS, especially if you talk about entertainment and politics as passions, rather than simply as jobs you've had. My interviewer spent at least half my interview chatting about the non-traditional side of my background and was very interested to hear my story. In my opinion this is definitely something to play up.

As for the age issue, I felt pretty concerned too after reading this board (I'll be 27 at matriculation). After talking to some friends who are current students, I decided not to worry too much. There are plenty of people my age and your age at HBS now, and besides, it's not something you can change. I think real world experience in interesting industries will add to the classroom experience...but of course I'm not adcom....

Good Luck!
Current Student
Schools: HBS '11

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 07:56
Nothing most of you already don't know, but an update from HBS. Best of luck to those applying in Round Two!

Approaching the Round Two Deadline
Date: December 30, 2008

As promised, here are some answers to questions that we've been hearing over the past few days.

Shouldn't my status change to "under review" or something similar when I submit my application?
No...it will remain as "submitted" until notification day, April 2.

What if I am taking the GMAT in the next few days? Will you get my scores in time?
You need to report a GMAT score when you submit the application. You don't need to worry about whether the official report from GMAC will reach us by January 6.

What if I am taking the TOEFL in the next few days?
Too late. You need to have taken the TOEFL and have an official score to report before you can submit the application. Once again, here's who is required to take the TOEFL: Candidates whose undergraduate university instruction was NOT in English.

Do I need to wait until my recommendations have been sent before I submit my application?
No. The requirement for submitting is that you input the names/information about your recommenders. Recommendations can be submitted any time up until the January 6 deadline at 5pm EST. There is no need to wait until then to submit the application.

Hope this is helpful...as we continue to field questions, we'll update this page accordingly.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 15:21
I hope the next 3 weeks fly by! Once I hear from HBS, I'll be able to finalize my plans for next year!

Good luck to all!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 02:08
Hi all

I am an R2 applicant and have a doubt regarding the self reported gmat score. Do I need to ask GMAC to send my scores to HBS as i havent dont it during the test. Do we have to send it pre admission or as a part of post admission just as with Wharton ...

looking for a quick reply ..

S
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 04:19
I am applying round 2 as well and I submitted the official Gmat scores. I am pretty sure they say pls submit official scores in their instructions.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 07:26
Does anyone have the HBS 2008 thread on gmat club? I tried finding it, but no luck. Thanks
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 09:28
sudhir18n wrote:
Hi all

I am an R2 applicant and have a doubt regarding the self reported gmat score. Do I need to ask GMAC to send my scores to HBS as i havent dont it during the test. Do we have to send it pre admission or as a part of post admission just as with Wharton ...

S

I'm about 99.9% sure you need to have GMAC send them the official score in addition to the self-reporting.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 09:28
sudhir18n wrote:
Hi all

S

I'm about 99.9% sure you need to have GMAC send them the official score in addition to the self-reporting.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 09:29
ndiaconu wrote:
Does anyone have the HBS 2008 thread on gmat club? I tried finding it, but no luck. Thanks

103-t49915

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 09:59
Hi guys - I'm new to the forum. Please count me in for R2. I should be hitting the submit button pretty soon.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 10:06
rca215 wrote:
ndiaconu wrote:

103-t49915

Thank you.I really appreciate it. Good luck with everything!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 01:39
I too have submitted my R2 application today !!!..The long wait starts now ....:)

regds
S
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 10:05
rca215 wrote:
ndiaconu wrote:

103-t49915

It was hard to tell from last year's thread, but does anyone know if HBS releases all decisions at a specific time on 1/21? (i.e. 9am EST)
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 12:00
I'm blanking on where i saw this.. but i'm fairly certain it was officially stated: 12pm EST on 1/21.

cpgmba wrote:
rca215 wrote:
ndiaconu wrote:

103-t49915

It was hard to tell from last year's thread, but does anyone know if HBS releases all decisions at a specific time on 1/21? (i.e. 9am EST)
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 16:10
A friend of mine emailed AdCom and fwd me autoreply he received. I thought R2 candidates might find it useful.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS from Harvard Business School!

HBS and the MBA Admissions Office will be closed for Winter Break from December 24 to January 5.

Please be advised of the following application instruction updates to be considered:
# Transcript Abroad – Not required separately if listed on primary transcript.
# Unofficial or Official Transcript – May be scanned or listed in the application.
# GPA – List each school year GPA separately, followed by the cumulative GPA.
# GPA – Do not calculate or convert to a GPA. Leave this section blank.
# Class Rank – Leave blank if the university does not offer this.
# Current Employment Date – List date of application to alert Board of present employment or ongoing activities.
# Part Time Work Experience – Report any part time experience in this section.
# Internships and Missionary Work - May be reported in either the part time or full time employment section.
# Work Experience – Report same company once, and briefly list various roles/positions. Expound on roles in resume.
# Recommendations – Three recommendations are requested. However, the Board will review applications with only 2 recommendations submitted, though not with only 1.
# Application Updates – No application updates, corrections or additional materials will be accepted.
# Recommendations – Must be submitted online only. Hardcopy recommendations will not be confirmed in application.
# Application Submission Confirmation – Candidates receive instant confirmation of application submission. No other email confirmation will be sent.
# Application Status – Status will remain as "Submitted" until the decision notification date.
# Additional Information Section – Use this section to briefly report other pertinent information, or to clarify information already reported.

For all application technology questions, please contact ApplyYourself Technology Support: 800-526-3313, or 703-234-5910.

MBA Admissions
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jan 2009, 16:10

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  37    Next  [ 723 posts ] 

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap