Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:40 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10038 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
I don't even have a motorcycle license, the closest I've come to riding one is riding pillion on a friend's bike and going 200 km/h on a track! But I do love speed (although I, well both of us, heh, am too old to be loving it!)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
You are right. There will be no time for such risky adventure...Honestly, I very rare rode my bike last summer....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I'd like to leave a couple of things I learned when I came. These high-rises are super new, they are convenient to be close at the Booth Community; however, you pay the premium for it. I decided to leave at River North, which is very close to Lake Shore East, to the metra, bus lines, and much more convenient for restaurants and supermarkets (though you will learn fast to use Peapod, especially during the winter). I decided to live in a condo, and all in all, I pay around $350 less per month than people who are living at the Lake Shore East. Found my deal through Craig's list. The buildings where most people live in downtown are: Millennium Park Plaza (MPP), Park Millennium (it's a condo), Columbus Park Plaza, North Harbor Tower (NHT), Tides and Shoreham. The Aqua is brand new. The best deals I could find among these places were in MPP and NHT.

Parking cars in the "core downtown" is super expensive, it goes from $180 to $300, the main reason I decided not to have a car - actually there's no need for one, and you also do your part for the environment :-D .

For internationals. If you're not a US citizen or permanent resident, you will be allowed to get into the USA 30 days before the classes start - orientation, not the "real" classes, which for me was Aug/10. I came to Chicago on Aug/10.

I hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
walker wrote:
xenok wrote:
... But can I get a ride on your bike someday, even if we're not roommates? Heh.

No problem. But it is a bit dangerous. By the way, I know that there is a great track in Indianapolis and we can drive there to look races and take a few lessons :wink: It would be great to know someone who is a crazy rider like me :P
https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/

I used to go there for the annual Formula 1 race and it was always mega fun....and super hot. But since they took that race out of the calendar I get to go to the area (including Chicago) less often :(
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
kwam, thank a lot!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V36
Send PM
I've pretty much decided on Aqua and am now in the process of filling out my application (the agent I talked to told me that units are being rented out pretty quickly). I thought about waiting till the end of this month (when visiting Chicago to attend Admit Weekend) to get a good look of downtown apartments before signing a lease. But I think Aqua looks amazing and I didnt want to risk losing the opportunities to live there. So, I started the application process.

PS. I listed Costa Rica as my first choice for Random Walks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
krispy wrote:
I've pretty much decided on Aqua and am now in the process of filling out my application (the agent I talked to told me that units are being rented out pretty quickly). I thought about waiting till the end of this month (when visiting Chicago to attend Admit Weekend) to get a good look of downtown apartments before signing a lease. But I think Aqua looks amazing and I didnt want to risk losing the opportunities to live there. So, I started the application process.

smart move krispy. As to Kwam's point, it is all relative. Aqua has washer and dryers in your room so you save there. If you wanted to join a gym, you have one in the building, so you save that. If you want a closer walk to the metra (in the winter 5 minutes of walking saved is great) , then you get that. You are paying 65 dollars for cable/internet/gas/heat/A/C which is a great deal as well. So if you add everything up, the premium may even things out and if not, you are still in a brand new building with great views, balconies, tremendous resources and amenities.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
just got 40K (20K per year) fellowship :P very unexpected....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
walker wrote:

congrats!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
walker wrote:

That is awesome! Congrats!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V36
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
krispy wrote:

smart move krispy. As to Kwam's point, it is all relative. Aqua has washer and dryers in your room so you save there. If you wanted to join a gym, you have one in the building, so you save that. If you want a closer walk to the metra (in the winter 5 minutes of walking saved is great) , then you get that. You are paying 65 dollars for cable/internet/gas/heat/A/C which is a great deal as well. So if you add everything up, the premium may even things out and if not, you are still in a brand new building with great views, balconies, tremendous resources and amenities.

Did you get the chance to check out the building before you signed your lease? It seems like there are sevreral tall buildings that may block the view.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone have an idea how nice those apartment gyms are? I don't mean how new the equipment is, I'm wondering if they have enough free weights and space to really work out. I'm looking for dumbbells, barbells, power racks, etc. I found most apartment/condo gyms to have mostly machines and not much room for anything else.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Isa, Falibay,

Thanks!
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
krispy wrote:
terp26 wrote:
krispy wrote:

Did you get the chance to check out the building before you signed your lease? It seems like there are sevreral tall buildings that may block the view.

No I signed blind. Yea that is true. I have a north view so unsure of the sightlines. But I can't imagine it being too bad at the 45th floor.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
No I signed blind. Yea that is true. I have a north view so unsure of the sightlines. But I can't imagine it being too bad at the 45th floor.

Party at terp's on August 2nd !
Everyone's invited!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Everyone's invited!

Count me in!
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
terp26 wrote:

Everyone's invited!

lol you can, but I won't be there until aug 31st :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  25