Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 15:59 It is currently 03 May 2024, 15:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
annae wrote:
OK, this is beginning to sound like a BW thread. No need for flaming here. Nobody said anything about superior intellect and a need to impress except for you. As a11c99 said, the job perspectives are proportional with one's level of knowledge, skills and working experience, with or without an MBA. We are trying to share our insights as to why we think the MBA is right for us, but you need to make the decision on your own.

BW threads :evil:

*runs and hides*
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:INSEAD: Waitlisted Jan 2010, Interview invite Jan 2011.
WE 1: Banking
Send PM
All Oxford admits, how long did it take for you to get the CAS issued after submission of the financial guarantee? I think one can apply for the Visa not more than 3 months before the start of the course and it's about time now. I'm still waiting for my CAS..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
rishiphadke wrote:
All Oxford admits, how long did it take for you to get the CAS issued after submission of the financial guarantee? I think one can apply for the Visa not more than 3 months before the start of the course and it's about time now. I'm still waiting for my CAS..

Mine was issued very quickly after I accepted my offer of a college place. This was some time after the financial guarantee, though, because the colleges don't start looking at your file until that guarantee is in. Then they offer you a place, and once you accept it officially then SBS does the CAS.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
marlow4 wrote:
rishiphadke wrote:

Mine was issued very quickly after I accepted my offer of a college place. This was some time after the financial guarantee, though, because the colleges don't start looking at your file until that guarantee is in. Then they offer you a place, and once you accept it officially then SBS does the CAS.

Yes, I've been accepted at a college and it's been 5 days since they started processing the CAS. How long do they usually take and by when should I press the panic button and send them a reminder?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rishiphadke wrote:
marlow4 wrote:
rishiphadke wrote:

Yes, I've been accepted at a college and it's been 5 days since they started processing the CAS. How long do they usually take and by when should I press the panic button and send them a reminder?

All CAS recepients, what is the start date of the course indicated on the CAS? I'm still waiting for mine, but the visa applications for courses starting in October are still not being accepted. Since the induction is on 29th September, have they mentioned that date on the CAS or the date on which classes actually begin (i.e. Oct)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It says:

Programme Start date: 09-OCT-2010
Programme Start/ Re-start Date: 29-SEP-2010

As I understand the fine print, the "Start/Re-Start date" is to specify that our programme starts 29 September, so the visa should take that into account. I was planning on starting the visa application next week, since by my reckoning we'll be within the three month period after tomorrow.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
marlow4 wrote:
It says:

Programme Start date: 09-OCT-2010
Programme Start/ Re-start Date: 29-SEP-2010

As I understand the fine print, the "Start/Re-Start date" is to specify that our programme starts 29 September, so the visa should take that into account. I was planning on starting the visa application next week, since by my reckoning we'll be within the three month period after tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply. I was checking on whether I need to start panicking 'cos of the delay in my CAS and looks like maybe I should :roll: the 3 month period starts tomorrow then and though I have organised the other documents, I can't take an appointment for the visa application without the CAS. Maybe I'll call up my admissions coordinator today to find out why it's taking so long.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's probably a good idea, but I wouldn't worry too much: I think it takes them about 5 minutes to get your CAS done (I got an e-mail one day asking to confirm all my details were correct, replied it was ok, and then got my CAS a few minutes later). I would bet that there's just some slow communication between your college and SBS that is holding things up.

No reason to panic, though. Getting the CAS is probably the most painless part of the whole application process!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
marlow4 wrote:
That's probably a good idea, but I wouldn't worry too much: I think it takes them about 5 minutes to get your CAS done (I got an e-mail one day asking to confirm all my details were correct, replied it was ok, and then got my CAS a few minutes later). I would bet that there's just some slow communication between your college and SBS that is holding things up.

No reason to panic, though. Getting the CAS is probably the most painless part of the whole application process!

marlow, you were right.....there was some delay in the college/SBS coordination. I called up the college and then they processed the financial guarantee....then called up SBS the following day and received my CAS by the evening. So will apply for the visa on Monday....have you applied already? And what is the start date you plan to put on the visa application form? 29th Sept/9th oct?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'll probably get started on mine this weekend. There is a good thread on the Google Group (link through the iSBS forum to get access) with a lot of details discussed, but I haven't read through it closely yet as I haven't started.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
a11c99 wrote:
a11c99 wrote:
:) You really made me curious on this. So, I made a research on the top 10 European MBA (FT ranking 2010) for the latest career statistics published at the moment: LBS - 2009, INSEAD - 2008, IE - 2008, IESE - 2008, IMD - 2008, SBS - 2008, HEC Paris - 2008, ESADE - 2009, Cambridge - 2009, Cranfield - 2008. (Info only from schools main web-pages, if you have other updated info, please add).
Thus, out of 10, only 3 schools have already published results for 2009.

Update - I've just heard that SBS 2009 report will be released in late July - August.

Update 2 - The (first part of) SBS 2009 report is out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Wow, SBS 77% employed; JBS 90% employed, 3 months out. What a difference. Wonder why? Didn't top American schools also display scores in 70s and 80s? How come such a high number of JBS students managed to get employed?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Hello Folks,

Just a few comments.

- Don't worry about placements in 2009. It was an exceptionally bad year. 77% is good, although ALL b-school career reports are marketing material - no more no less. Do your primary research, and secondary research.

- This year looks relatively much better. It's hard to jump as far as one could in say 2006, but placements are looking good and there is lots of recruitment activity.

- For those coming into MBA programs, make sure that you do the ground work before you get to your MBA. Speak to recruiters, make connections in your chosen industries, work on your CVs and build your personal brand!

- For those wanting to go into iBanking and Consulting, focus and prepare even harder. These firms come to campus really early

and lastly, if you are like me, just try new and different things in your MBA. You'll meet some amazing people, and weird and wonderful opportunities will open up. Make sure you are around to snap those opportunities up.

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
and lastly, if you are like me, just try new and different things in your MBA. You'll meet some amazing people, and weird and wonderful opportunities will open up. Make sure you are around to snap those opportunities up.

Good luck!

Thanks buffdaddy! May I ask where you ended up? Did you do a summer internship or did you find a permanent job? Or do something completely different? I'm curious to hear since the last time we met it was February and you were still so immersed in the curriculum... things must look like a whole new world to you now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
annae wrote:
buffdaddy wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks buffdaddy! May I ask where you ended up? Did you do a summer internship or did you find a permanent job? Or do something completely different? I'm curious to hear since the last time we met it was February and you were still so immersed in the curriculum... things must look like a whole new world to you now.

Hello Annae!,

Still deliberating between a couple of opportunities...hopefully will have made a decision come October. It's a difficult decision, kind of like being accepted at multiple schools for the MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

for the essay "Which recent development, world event or book has most influenced your thinking and why?"

I'm planning to write about a book on Spirituality which influenced me. It's a book (available only through my organization) written by my Guru, whom I follow regularly.

The influences I'm planning to write is:

How important it is to "realize the self"
Ability to regulate thoughts
Opportunities to travel and learn new things
Circle of Influence Vs Circle of Concern (My Guru also told this in a different way)
Importance of work-life balance

Please let me know if these points are appropriate for the response expected by Said.

Thanks in adv.
Skyscraper.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is my profile guys:

25 years/Male/Trinidadian
Undergrad: B.Sc. Management Studies (Minor in Finance), The University of The West Indies
Upper Second Class Honours (GPA 3.23)
Currently Pursuing a Graduate Certificate in Supply Chain Management from ASU (GPA 4.0)
Total Work Experience: 5 years (Graduate Research 2, Finance 1, Oil & Gas 2)
Currently working at a multinational Oil & Gas Company (BP)
GMAT: 690 (q45,v40)

I would appreciate any comments on my chances at Cambridge or Oxford.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35