Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 14:43 It is currently 06 May 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink]
The upper limit for loans is the annual student budget that the financial aid office publishes (roughly $76,000 this year), which is designed to cover tuition, housing, living expenses and other expenses (books, travel, etc.). In addition, in the first year there is an incremental amount (about $2,000) added to the budget to allow incoming students to buy a laptop. Assuming you get no other financial aid, you can borrow up to this amount each year (assuming you otherwise qualify for the loans).

Need only figures into grants, need-based scholarships and other assistance, not loans.
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Hey,
Did anyone receive an email from Deena W. saying that she's leaving Kellogg for another recruiting job in LA?

I did not quiet understand the second part of the email about DAK.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
Hey,
Did anyone receive an email from Deena W. saying that she's leaving Kellogg for another recruiting job in LA?

hmm no i didn't get that email. i have gotten a couple emails about financial aid though
Current Student
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
Hey,

I believe she is in charge of some specific admissions outreach programs, so she possibly only contacted those with whom she had direct contact (in case other admits are curious and feel left out)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
Hey,

Yeah, I got the email. I also did not quite understand the second part of the email. Guess we'll wait and see.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Technology Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
I read on the 2012 admitted thread about pre-DAK informal welcome receptions on Thursday night. Any current students able to shed a bit of light on the where and when of these? Do they typically occur in downtown Chicago or downtown Evanston?

The underlying question here is, would my flight arriving in ORD at 4pm still be alright to attend these pre-DAK activities? If my experience flying to ORD in Feb (the best month!) is any indication, I will probably be able to use a few drinks afterward.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Kellogg 2013
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
According to the agenda on the welcome website the Thursday night reception will be "in Evanston" but it's not clear whether it'll be on campus. Also it looks like it starts late (9PM) so you should have plenty of time after your flight arrives.
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Typically the Thursday night receptions will be with your assigned DAK section and possible one or two other sections at one of the bars in Evanston. They're very low key and informal so don't worry if you have to show up late. People will in all likelihood be there until midnight or later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Technology Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
Hey everyone,

I threw together a google doc (shared, not public) to help make it easier to spot people to meet up with and possible lunch / sightseeing buddies on Sunday.

*SNIP* I removed the link to the google doc, a fellow admit made a good point that this is a public forum and it is possible for those with ill-intent (evil spammers!) to potentially access it. However remote the possibility, I never underestimate the evil lurking on the internet. I also posted this the DAK boards on the Kellogg admit website, so check it out in there and join the crew!

I'll be flying out from Southern California myself and plan on staying at the Best Western University Plaza ($75/night, just a few blocks south of campus).

Let me know if you're interested in splitting a room or a cab. jstandard@gmail.com

2/10 Jetblue (934) Depart 10:10am Long Beach Arrive 4:09pm O'Hare
2/13 Jetblue (937) Depart 5:11pm O'Hare Arrive 7:40pm Long Beach

Going to be great, see everyone in Feb.

- Jeff

Originally posted by BlackSwan on 13 Jan 2011, 17:25.
Last edited by BlackSwan on 26 Jan 2011, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
While on the subject of DAK, if you are very likely to matriculate in the fall, I suggest that you plan ahead to start the housing hunt. A lot of people come to DAK and end up returning a couple weeks/months later to look at housing. With a little preparation, you can set up appointments with landlords to look at potential places for the fall. Quite a few people also meet roommates over the weekend.
Current Student
Send PM
boogs wrote:
While on the subject of DAK, if you are very likely to matriculate in the fall, I suggest that you plan ahead to start the housing hunt. A lot of people come to DAK and end up returning a couple weeks/months later to look at housing. With a little preparation, you can set up appointments with landlords to look at potential places for the fall. Quite a few people also meet roommates over the weekend.

For R1, DAK is next month... that's not too early to start looking for housing for August? Is that when people start their leases typically? Also - do people get 1 or 2 year leases?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Most places set up leases starting August 1st, and a lot of buildings know which units are available due to graduating 2nd years. I suggest at least narrowing down where you want to live during DAK, then you can find the specific unit afterwards. The sooner you sign a lease the more likely you are to get exactly what you want. Careful about overpaying some folks try to take advantage of people. Most people sign 2 year leases (moving is a huge hassel) but I know lots of people who did 1 years for various reasons. Its a personal thing but some landlords want 2 years leases (they only have to pay the brokerage fee once every two years then).
VP
VP
Send PM
Agree with riverripper. It's definitely possible to find a place later in the year but, after DAK II, options start to narrow down - especially at the more popular buildings. Feb. is probably too early to sign a lease, but it would be very helpful to at least have a short list by the time you leave.

On the DAK website, there will be (if there isn't already) an Excel spreadsheet with info on where current students live and the rent so you can be familiar with what reasonable rent is before you start talking to landlords.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks guys!! I went through the previous year's admit threads as well and you both provided a ton of good information that I'm hoping to summarize and post here soon.

I have a few more questions - What do people do during for their summer internship? Look for sublets or pay rent for 2 places (if they don't work in chicago)? Also, do most people you know end up with a 1 bedroom/studio or have roommates?

Here's my situation: I will not be able to visit before school starts, but I do have friends/parents who will be able to secure a place for me. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should get a 2-bedroom and then find a roommate or just get a studio/1-bedroom at one of the popular buildings that most kellogg students reside in. Originally I was set on getting a roommate, but now I'm thinking it might not be worth the hassle... Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

btw about a week ago I was contacted by my K-bud (it was in my spam folder though...). I will be asking her opinion on these issues as well and will post up anything useful.
Current Student
Send PM
bei wrote:
Thanks guys!! I went through the previous year's admit threads as well and you both provided a ton of good information that I'm hoping to summarize and post here soon.

I have a few more questions - What do people do during for their summer internship? Look for sublets or pay rent for 2 places (if they don't work in chicago)? Also, do most people you know end up with a 1 bedroom/studio or have roommates?

Here's my situation: I will not be able to visit before school starts, but I do have friends/parents who will be able to secure a place for me. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should get a 2-bedroom and then find a roommate or just get a studio/1-bedroom at one of the popular buildings that most kellogg students reside in. Originally I was set on getting a roommate, but now I'm thinking it might not be worth the hassle... Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

btw about a week ago I was contacted by my K-bud (it was in my spam folder though...). I will be asking her opinion on these issues as well and will post up anything useful.

I can't really answer the summer internship housing question, but my understanding is that most people just leave their apartment vacant. Some buildings also limit your ability to sublet.

Most students I know have roommate(s) in a 2BR+. Many students with significant others squeeze into 1 BR, and there are plenty of single students that live alone in studio or 1 BR. Finding a roommate is not difficult, you can easily post on the admitted students' forum, the Facebook group (if there is one), or meet someone at DAK. A lot of people just sign for a 2BR and have no problem finding a roommate later.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Summers during internships are dealt with very differently by different people. Its tough to find sublets and some places dont allow it (per lease). A lot of folks just pay for two places, its only for a few months. The harder thing is often finding a place for the summer, though plenty of major corporations will help you find housing. I suggest looking at student housing, if you get the ability to live in McManus its a pretty good deal. You only have to pay when you are living there (so no expenses when studying abroad or during an internship).

I know people who found roommates at DAK, existing friendship, or student message boards. As for whether you should have one or not, thats up to you. Personally I wouldnt want a roommate, but then again it wasnt a debate since I am married. Most people I know lived by themselves, or significant others...most had 1 bedrooms (if they didnt have kids), but I know a few couples who had 2 bedrooms.

They will go over a lot of housing options during DAK, so my suggestion is to just decide whats right for you in terms of budget and living arrangements before hand so you can focus during the weekend either finding a potential roommate and/or narrowing down where you want to live.
VP
VP
Send PM
My experience is pretty similar to river, I'd say less than 1/4 of my friends have roommates (not counting JV's as a roommate), the majority live in 1BRs and a couple have studios.

I don't know of anyone who successfully sublet their apartment last summer although a few tried. Most of the people who come to the Chicago area in the summer (e.g. MBAs from other programs) want to live in the city and not in Evanston. Some intern employers do give housing subsidies as part of the internship package though, so you're not paying full rent on 2 places.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9