Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:08 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Can a 700+ GMAT score result in job offers? [#permalink]
Yeah I've also heard that a strong GMAT score can be a good "feather in the cap" when you apply for a job but I also heard this rumor about job offers resulting from a 700+ score just lining up in the mail. I suppose it must be a myth, there's no sense in an admissions test being used as a recruitment tool. Thanks to you both :D
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
u can also see a GMAT coaching institute predicting future salary based on GMAT score...it might only be a coincidence though
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Kudos
LifeChanger wrote:
u can also see a GMAT coaching institute predicting future salary based on GMAT score...it might only be a coincidence though

i don't know about that. all these GMATprep companies claim that the higher your GMAT the higher your salary because they assume that you will go to a better school, and obviously better schools have more doors of opportunity. obviously this is flawed because it does not take into consideration other factors in which a student with a lower GMAT score with higher other credentials have equally or maybe even higher chances of getting into the same good school.

so in order to weaken this argument we must attack its central assumption; and that is, if you score higher you will enroll into a higher/better school. this is not true. i've known a lot of people that have higher GMAT scores and ended up going to local Virginia public colleges but still end up coming out making a pretty decent salary. So yeah, their argument is flawed.

^^ that's your GMAT critical reasoning lesson for the day :P
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
You probably want to see this thread: gmat-score-use-in-employment-21669.html

I can say from my experience, it helps to have it there but I doubt it can land a job (unless you are teaching a GMAT Class :wink: )

One of my former bosses thought it was impressive but only after I said it was 99th percentile, so I would say it is great to have 99th percentile and probably a bit tough to sell 720 to a person who has no clue about the scale or how hard it is to get 700+ score. (my boss has not taken the GMAT) However, everybody understands percentiles, so if you shoot for one, get 99th.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
Send PM
bb wrote:
You probably want to see this thread: gmat-score-use-in-employment-21669.html

I can say from my experience, it helps to have it there but I doubt it can land a job (unless you are teaching a GMAT Class :wink: )

One of my former bosses thought it was impressive but only after I said it was 99th percentile, so I would say it is great to have 99th percentile and probably a bit tough to sell 720 to a person who has no clue about the scale or how hard it is to get 700+ score. (my boss has not taken the GMAT) However, everybody understands percentiles, so if you shoot for one, get 99th.

People who just know that a test called "GMAT" exists have a wrong notion that GMAT is an easy test to crack and i was one among them. Only when you walk into the ocean, will a person know the depth...

Thanks bb..percentile, i agree, is probably a better way of showcasing one's score
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
seems to me like it would be a pretty good thing to have on your achievements section of the resume when applying to jobs, but as for getting a job because of it, it's kind of far fetched when you think about it in the sense that employers don't recruit based on gmat scores. Certainly doesn't hurt to have a 700+ though!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
nphelan wrote:
seems to me like it would be a pretty good thing to have on your achievements section of the resume when applying to jobs, but as for getting a job because of it, it's kind of far fetched when you think about it in the sense that employers don't recruit based on gmat scores. Certainly doesn't hurt to have a 700+ though!

I have mentioned it in another thread i think but I have sat in a school-based recruitment presentation by Barclay's and they said that they ask for 700 min score for their MBA-level applicants. I am not sure if that's still the policy but that ticked off a number of folks. (made me happy :) )
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mindreko wrote:
even if it doesnt, itll look great on ur resume

Yeah I got a 740 (Q50, V40), AWA 6/6 on my first try and no job offers came just some universities asking me to apply... it does look good on your resume but I live in Macedonia so know potential employers actually know what it means to score that high... :S still gonna redo it I wanna get that 99 percentile score :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HKUST
GMAT Date: 12-02-2011
GPA: 3.1
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I know some consulting companies/banks ask for it when you apply for any positions, but I very much doubt it has a strong influence on whether or not you get jobs - interviews, maybe.

A good GMAT score will never hurt though and 99% percentile scorers must be exceptional.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
I certainly wouldn't mind a job hunt boost from a 720+.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
probably not on its own right..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
So could it really help to put the score on the resume ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
I've heard consulting firms will look at your GMAT scores during the application process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
hi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
In this day and age, where many factors come into play when hiring a suitable job candidate from a pool of equally candidates, I believe that it would not hurt to have a top score on the GMAT, as it can be a critical differentiating factor when choosing a candidate. If one has a score of 730 or better, he or she can list on their resume or mention it during an interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Any firm that doles out offers, or interviews, based on a standardized test score is a firm I would NEVER want to work for. Talk about shallow, short sighted, and just plain stupid! If anyone equates intelligence, or capacity, with a test score they are an utter tool.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I don't think the score itself will get you a job, but a good score certainly wouldn't hurt.

I would put anything 700+ on your resume
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2