Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: Calling ALL Admitted CBS Folks - Class of 2018 [#permalink]
Reserved...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sure, I’ll talk a little about myself to get the ball rolling.

Some basic stats to start off with:
• Demographic: 27-years-old at time of application, Chinese-Canadian female
• Undergrad GPA: 7.75/9.0 which converts roughly to a 3.65/3.7 on the 4.0 scale
• Law school GPA: Bs across the board, probably a 3.0/4.0
• GMAT: Q50 V45 IR 7 AWA 5), written once – if you’d like to read about my experience, I posted about it here : 770-q50-v45-self-study-first-time-writer-195300.html#p1508533
• Industry: Government
• Function: Law/Policy

My current job, which I’ve had for about 2.5 years, is in cultural and copyright policy and legislation for the Canadian federal government. Basically, we drive the statute that governs copyright and manage stakeholder relationships (artist groups, MPAA, Google, that sort of thing) in between legislative amendments. My academic background is in law, where I specialized in intellectual property and technology law. Some highlights from my JD days include an exchange at Stanford University where I got to work with some really cool start-ups and doing pro-bono work for the department I currently work for. On the extracurricular side, I have been heavily involved in the arts for a long time, particularly in music (for example, I’m on my 6th year volunteering for music festivals and I sit on the board of a music magazine).

I decided to apply to business school because I wanted an effective way to transition into the private sector. More specifically, I’m looking for a corporate strategy role at a media tech company (e.g. Spotify). I actually tried to do this without going back to school – I applied to jobs and even interviewed at an MBB consulting firm as a way to gain the business skills I would need. MBB firm told me to go brush on my quant skills and apply again in 18 months so I just started studying for the GMAT. Then I started going down the business school route until I ended up with an acceptance from Columbia a week ago (the only school I applied to and since it’s early decision, the only one I will apply to). Technically, I can still go interview at MBB next April (that’ll be 18 months from my last interview) but I think I’d like the business school experience even though it’s going to be a huge financial strain for me (the weak Canadian dollar is REALLY not helping).

In terms of the application, I did pull out all the stops. I spoke to two students on the phone in fields that I was interested in (one is at Disney, the other at an MBB firm). One of them invited me to attend the graduation ceremony and it was perfect timing because there was also a campus info session shortly after. So I flew to New York, went to the ceremony and saw Sallie Krawcheck give an amazing commencement speech and went to the campus info session the next day where I spoke to the admissions director that would call me four months later to give me the good news. I also spoke to a Columbia alum currently doing corporate strategy at Spotify (aka my dream job).

I worked with an admissions consultant, Alice Van Harten, who is amazing. (I wrote a review for her in this thread if you’re interested: best-admissions-consulting-companies-2016-season-205934.html#p1576899) She was an enormous help for the essays which turned out quite good (if I do say so myself). I think the recommendations, which I received from my immediate supervisor as well as one above him, were also very good.

All in all, there was no reason why I would be denied an interview. I received an invite exactly three weeks after I submitted my application. The actual interview was pretty unremarkable, we chatted about my reasons for wanting an MBA and specifically at Columbia. He asked me what my backup plan was if I couldn’t get that corporate strategy role (I said I’d give management consulting another shot) and I would say over 50% of the time was him giving me advice on how to make the most out of my MBA. I received my offer a week after the interview report was submitted.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Great job deerhunter! Hope you inspire other admits for their contributions too... :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello!
Congratulations to all admitted! I look forward to meeting you in the fall!

I wanted to share a little bit about myself:
I am a female engineer, 27 years old, I'm international but have been working in the U.S. for 5 years. I am looking to move from a niche engineering industry to a niche and related business industry. I was very specific in my essays and prepared a lot for the interview. I really liked my interviewer and the current students I met during my campus visit. I completed my undergrad in an moderate selective school, GPA 3.5 and GMAT 760.

I have a couple of questions for you:
1) Did you receive your PID right away?
2) Have you received information about the next steps such as setting up email account or completing the background check?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
deerhunter had a pretty amazing write up. I'm not going to do that because I'm lazy but here is my profile cross posted plus a couple more random bits of info:

I actually just moved to NYC from LA for work a year ahead of time (the move was already planned but I heard back from CBS 3 days before getting on the plane).

GPA: 3.5 from top 25 school Business admin degree (university of southern california)
W/E: 3 years MM IB then 1 year Corp Finance with an engineering company
GMAT: 750 (49q/42v/6awa/8ir)

My post-graduation goal is to work at a top tier IB then eventually PE. I realized I didn't want to continue in corporate finance and felt that the opportunity to go to business school was a perfect way to transition.

For essay 1, I wrote a pretty straight forward goals essay with LOTS of detail on specifics of why I wanted to go to Columbia for my MBA, not just get an MBA.

For essay 2, I wrote more about the opportunities that Columbia's location provides as well as the professional opportunities I would get (vs more education in essay 1)

For essay 3, I wrote a somewhat silly essay regarding my transition to the US (was born overseas) and how it still stays with me to this day.

My interview was very casual and we just chatted about my career to date, some career path options if my first choice didn't work out, then the typical why columbia, why mba questions. I got my call 3 days after my interviewer submitted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,

First of all, congratulations and I look forward to meeting you all next year.

Amanda was travelling in my town today and invited to brunch with a few other admitted folks. She suggested creating a FB page since no one hasn't yet, so I did.

To join:

1. Log into the admitted students website (https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/admitted/) using your Lifetime ID, e.g. FLastname18
2. Click "MBA" under "Home"
3. Click "Welcome"
4. Click "Facebook Group for the Class of 2018"
5. Type in your name and Facebook login email address and submit

Admin will receive the request and invite you via email as soon as possible.

I had to make it a secret group so those who haven't informed current employers that they are leaving next year would be comfortable joining the group.

An adcom member, Matthew Moll, joined the group, so if you have any questions directed to school, feel free to post it there. Matthew will respond.

Hope to see you there!

Originally posted by baker123 on 11 Oct 2015, 00:33.
Last edited by baker123 on 13 Oct 2015, 09:09, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE:Analyst (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
seems like the page is not available now, would love to join soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
cathwhc wrote:
seems like the page is not available now, would love to join soon!

Moved to secret group.

Please go to the admitted students website -> MBA -> Welcome then you will see the link for requesting access. Let me know if you have trouble finding.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
baker123, good idea!

all CBS admitted folks, please do not forget to mention a bit about your profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
When did everyone gain access to the student website and their PID?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBB Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Allday028 wrote:

Just got my PID today.

Access to admitted students website was delivered to me few hours after acceptance call.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mfprado1073 wrote:
Allday028 wrote:

Just got my PID today.

Access to admitted students website was delivered to me few hours after acceptance call.

Like in an email? I haven't gotten mine so I might have to follow up
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
Allday028 wrote:
mfprado1073 wrote:
Allday028 wrote:

Just got my PID today.

It shows in your Status update with the payment details in a PID box. Until yesterday it was blank, but I noticed this morning it went alive.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mfprado1073 wrote:
Allday028 wrote:
mfprado1073 wrote:

Just got my PID today.

It shows in your Status update with the payment details in a PID box. Until yesterday it was blank, but I noticed this morning it went alive.

O ok, I got the PID today but still no luck on the website.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Let me do my part and contribute with my profile since we'll soon be sharing classrooms.

Basic stats:
Demographic: Brazilian, 28 y/o (29 at matriculation), white middle class male (I clear don't belong to no minority)
Undergrad major and GPA: I graduated in Engineering with a very strong GPA of 8.7 out of 10, the best in my graduation group
Masters major and GPA: I have already a Masters of Science in Eletric Vehicles, obtained in a top French Engineering School with a GPA of 15.7/20
GMAT: 740 Q50 V40, first and only attempt
Industry: Consulting, MBB for 2.5 years - now in a sabbatical working in the energy and infrastructure industries
Function: Business Development and Strategy

How it all went out

I have a very technical academical background. When I joined the university, I had the idea of pursuing a very technical career, with a doctorate and eventually a researcher position. I soon realized my true passion was on the business side, I wanted to face complex business problems, relevant for companies and for society.

I tried joining a strategy consulting firm, but was unsuccessful. I knew I needed to further develop my business acumen and my critical reasoning in order to be recruited by a top consulting firm. In that moment, i was offered a scholarship to pursue a masters in Electric Vehicles in France, a field that was only beginning at that time. In those two years, I was able to understand a lot about the energy industry, infrastructure, energy sources, different technologies, etc. As electric vehicles were rising, all this scenario was a complex equation that energy, utilities and automakers had to face in order to survive. I was amazed and even more excited to go in to consulting.

Coming back to Brazil, now much more aware of my skills, I was able to secure various consulting offers and ended up at a MBB. I learned a lot about the Brazilian business landscape, its different industries and its cultural differences. It was the most incredible learning experience of my professional life. After 2.5 years, I was granted my sponsorhip to pursue an MBA and decided to take a sabbatical year from the office and joined a Infrastructure and Energy company, where I have been working focused on the energy sector while preparing my applications.

Being accepted to Columbia was exciting as it is my first option due to its amazing location and incredible reputation. Couldn't ask for anything else!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
mfprado1073 - great job!

Folks like you and deerhunter are really setting a HIGH benchmark :)

Hope you continue to inspire other admits for their contributions too anytime soon... :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Accepted earlier today.

Applied: 9/15
Invite: 10/6 (3 weeks)
Interview: 10/12
Feedback submit: 10/19
Accept: 10/23

Profile:
Top 10 undergrad business school in Boston GPA: 3.9
4 years of bulge bracket IB experience in NYC at matriculation with 1 year as an Associate.
International (Canada/China) with family business in China
GMAT: 700
Recommendation from head of my group
Solid extracurricular/volunteer activities for over two years
Talked to many current students on campus
Went to a club kick-off event (before submitting app) and met a professor one on one separately (after submitting app)
I sent admissions committee thank you notes and status update emails before and after I submitted my application for every event I went to (I just wanted them to know that I was very serious about attending Columbia and only wanted to go there)

Interview went very well - casual conversation that lasted for an hour.

My plan since I was thirteen was to get a good college education, professional experience, and an MBA in the U.S.A. before returning home to help/run family business.

I look forward to meeting all of you in person next year
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts