Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [12]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship? [#permalink]
Thanks for this post. It makes a lot of sense to be frank.

Sent from my SM-G930F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship? [#permalink]
bb wrote:

Important Clarification Note on bb's Terminology:
Top 10 is any School that is ranked up to #14 - these are not the subject of the discussion
Top 20 is Schools ranked between #15 and #24 (Starting with Anderson and all the way to Marshall though odd that 2 LA schools define this bracket)
Top 30 is School ranked between #25 and #35
Top 40 is Schools ranked between #36 and #44

Hi bb

Thanks for your effort in this post.

To be sure, I assume that the ranking you use is the US News ranking? Am I right?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship? [#permalink]
Brilliant topic - because it made me think in the Gym :)

I think that (have been guilty of this myself) rankings are terribly misleading. I have several friends pursuing MBAs at top 20 schools in the US and couple of top schools in India, and they are all struggling in some way or another.

There is always that one odd person who will have a stellar profile and will have easy sailings - but hey! life is tough man! Especially at these schools: you have a bunch of uber ambitious talented people competed for a few coveted spots.

My thought - whether you go top 20 minus schol or top 40 with schol - you better be willing to work your butt off at either place. Neither decision will make or break your career - but your attitude will.

Yes? No? I'm full of wisdom today :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship? [#permalink]
Kudos
Employment reports for the top 20 schools ( Fuqua, Ross, Texas, and even Emory) suggest something else. Even if international students are struggling to get a job, looks like they are ultimately able to land one. How else can 90% of international students get a job within 3 months of graduation? Even the salary seems to be very similar compared to citizens.

Edit- Disregard Ross and Fuqua as per your disclaimer.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
It depends a lot of your aspirations. Do you simply want to get into tech at amazon, dell, ibm, etc? Carnegie mellon will definitely get you there, and with $$$ its a no brainer. If you want to do tech consulting at Mckinsey though or a prestigious LDP, now it's a different discussion. Access becomes the issue, and an m7(ish) is going to be the only option.

The visa situation complicates all of this though, as nobody is really immune to it. You can go to harvard, get the best possible job and still get sent home. You need to weigh the risks of something like that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
cxa0897 wrote:
It depends a lot of your aspirations. Do you simply want to get into tech at amazon, dell, ibm, etc? Carnegie mellon will definitely get you there, and with $$$ its a no brainer. If you want to do tech consulting at Mckinsey though or a prestigious LDP, now it's a different discussion. Access becomes the issue, and an m7(ish) is going to be the only option.

The visa situation complicates all of this though, as nobody is really immune to it. You can go to harvard, get the best possible job and still get sent home. You need to weigh the risks of something like that

I think MBB is doable at top 15. Fuqua, Ross and Darden send at least 10% of the class to MBB.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
whymba909 wrote:
Employment reports for the top 20 schools ( Fuqua, Ross, Texas, and even Emory) suggest something else. Even if international students are struggling to get a job, looks like they are ultimately able to land one. How else can 90% of international students get a job within 3 months of graduation? Even the salary seems to be very similar compared to citizens.

The report does not cover 100% of students, it just covers 100% of those who chose to report. When I graduated and struggled finding a good job, I did not report my stats... so you kind of have to look at absolute numbers and speak with current students and alums. I think there are definitely more people who are finding jobs than those who are not, but I am just surprised with the number of those who are not in the last year, vs. previous years (my data is anecdotal and not precise.... but it is a theory :-))
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
whymba909 wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:

I think MBB is doable at top 15. Fuqua, Ross and Darden send at least 10% of the class to MBB.

Yes, as long as you are good to take 1:10 chances. But part of the reason why only 10% at Ross vs. 30% at Tuck for example is the caliber of applicants, not just because Bain or BCG have a quota to hire no more than 10% from Ross. So if you are an impressive person who stands out from the crowd, you will get in at both Tuck, HBS, and Ross....

Fuqua and Ross actually have MBB reps on campus quite a bit. Fuqua has them 4 days a week visiting classes and if you play your cards right, it is pretty easy to convert (they are looking mostly at your fit and your presentation skills, and how you perform vs. other class mates).
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Send PM
whymba909 wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:

Yes, but the chances are definitely lower, and you may not get to pick the exact office or exact department. A student at MIT is going to have far better prospects at an MBB that somebody at a top 20/30
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
whymba909 wrote:

The report does not cover 100% of students, it just covers 100% of those who chose to report. When I graduated and struggled finding a good job, I did not report my stats... so you kind of have to look at absolute numbers and speak with current students and alums. I think there are definitely more people who are finding jobs than those who are not, but I am just surprised with the number of those who are not in the last year, vs. previous years (my data is anecdotal and not precise.... but it is a theory :-))

That is interesting. However, Fuqua's employment report actually shows the numbers instead of percentage and it looks pretty good to me. take a look at the snapshot that I attached. I cannot speak about other schools like Kenan Flagler or Tepper as they don't have an employment report this detailed.
Attachments

Fuqua Employment.PNG
Fuqua Employment.PNG [ 75.81 KiB | Viewed 6237 times ]

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
whymba909 wrote:
bb wrote:
whymba909 wrote:

That is interesting. However, Fuqua's employment report actually shows the numbers instead of percentage and it looks pretty good to me. take a look at the snapshot that I attached.

Good discussion! Thanks for posting/sharing. The main question is what was the class size. Was the class size 392 that year?
It says 446 but that's for the class of 2018 i believe.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
cxa0897 wrote:
whymba909 wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:

Yes, but the chances are definitely lower, and you may not get to pick the exact office or exact department. A student at MIT is going to have far better prospects at an MBB that somebody at a top 20/30

Yes chances are lower, its not because of the school that you are attending but because of the student quality. I am sure you will at least get an interview ( if you are good enough) as long as you are in top 15. If you make it past the short list stage, school won't matter at all. MBB will not be MBB if they pick a student from Sloan instead of a student from Ross just because that he studied in Sloan. Agree that there may be some geographical limitations due to alumni base. These numbers at Fuqua look very decent to me, look at Amazon!!!
Attachments

MBB.PNG
MBB.PNG [ 33.8 KiB | Viewed 6180 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb
This should clear it up. Wish every program is this transparent. Will just make life easier for us applicants.
Attachments

Class Size.PNG
Class Size.PNG [ 48.82 KiB | Viewed 6181 times ]

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
whymba909 wrote:
bb
This should clear it up. Wish every program is this transparent. Will just make life easier for us applicants.

Thanks! Fuqua is a larger program which does enjoy the benefits of better recruiting so they are not a great example per se of a smaller school (as discussed in post #3).
To be clear, it appears 392 out of 445 reporting in the school employment report - is that your understanding as well? about 50 people have not reported?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
whymba909 wrote:
bb

Thanks! Fuqua is a larger program which does enjoy the benefits of better recruiting so they are not a great example per se of a smaller school (as discussed in post #3).
To be clear, it appears 392 out of 445 reporting in the school employment report - is that your understanding as well? about 50 people have not reported?

I think they are company sponsored, starting new business etc as stated in that table. Agree that Fuqua is not a good example. We will have to look at schools like Tepper and KF. But unfortunately I couldn't gather this kind of data from their employment reports.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
whymba909 wrote:
bb wrote:
whymba909 wrote:
bb

I think they are company sponsored, starting new business etc as stated in that table. Agree that Fuqua is not a good example. We will have to look at schools like Tepper and KF. But unfortunately I couldn't gather this kind of data from their employment reports.

There is probably some people they could not hear from (e.g. emails got lost, folks were busy, or depressed, or they did not care to reply. There is always a % of folks who did not reply for some reason, right?) If it is 54 out of 445, it is about 10% - makes sense to have 90% survey completion rate - pretty high in my view.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

I think this is a much bigger deal than people make of it. Most undergrad institutions boast great stats for employment, but tons and tons of students struggle to find something worthwhile. This was the case for me, I landed a job I could have gotten out of high school and never responded to any surveys from my schools. Most of that was my fault, but I am definitely not alone. Hopefully I do better this time around and do respond ;)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts