GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 17:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 08:38
Would like to Defend Stern a little bit here. I know the ranking vary but both US News and FT ranks Stern in the top 12-13

They are pretty transparent about their placements. See below class of 2016 report. MBB takes about 30 people from a class of about 400. Banking big 4 takes close to 60.

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/sites/default/ ... Report.pdf
Current Student
B
Schools: Johnson '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.8
Re: Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 21:30
Things are definitely changing. Many companies are not sponsoring this year. Many companies have changed their policies and are hiring only through internship. Things are messy and unclear. Options are getting lesser. My advise for internationals:

1) Speak to people outside of students admissions committee and preferably with the ones you have some connection like undergrad, city etc. When you start the call ask them not to sell their school.
2) Ask direct questions like ''How many internationals have made it to McK or X company". Understand how you get a job in US.
3) Is your school a core school for recruiting for the company you are interested in?
4) If someone cant give you numbers or specific answers, the person is probably bluffing or the placements were horrible. All data is available in schools and everyone knows how recruitment is going. Its your job to ask grilling questions and theirs to dodge them. Know that on the other side, there are referral programs and awards if they can get you in.
5) Know that networking plays the most important part in job search. If you cant speak English fluently or your communication skills are weak, no matter which company you worked for prior to b school or which school you go to, you will face tough time to get a job.
6) Go to a city where you would like to live in the long term. Finding a job in a different geography is difficult unless your school is core school for the employer.
7) East and West coast are more diverse than others.
8) Your chances in consulting and banking are better at higher ranked school.
9) If moving to US is your sole objective going to schools outside top 7-10 could be fine. You might get ''some'' job depending on your personality. Going to a lower ranked schools is a big risk and it is upon you to make an informed decision. There is no right or wrong answer here.
10) Choose your data point for comparison very carefully. MBA makes sense for people for different reasons. For Ex: There are lot of rich kids from every country who do MBA.
11) There are complications once you get a job. Chances of getting H1B in a lottery are ~33%. Even if you get a visa, you need to extend it every 3 years until your employer files a green card for you. You might not be able to switch jobs or leave the country at your convenience due to processing issues. Find out about these issues. Not many care to find out about these rules as they have short term vision. Sooner or later you have to face these issues. Does MBA still make sense for you in P10, P50 and P90 cases?

All this is my personal opinion. Refer to point 10 if you disagree. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Krannert '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 06:25
Hello,
I have secured admits in both University of Maryland and University of Georgia.
I have full tuition waiver at Georgia while I have about 70k expenses at Maryland.

Any suggestions what would be a better bet considering I am an international student?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 09:24
@vidram1, what's ur GMAT score?

Sent from my moto x4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 13:11
Any thoughts on Olin (full ride) vs. Cornell (partial, on the lower end %) vs. Ross (waitlist).
Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting scholarship at Ross if admitted off the waitlist?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 13:28
bk2018 wrote:
Any thoughts on Olin (full ride) vs. Cornell (partial, on the lower end %) vs. Ross (waitlist).
Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting scholarship at Ross if admitted off the waitlist?

Full ride - congrats!
What's your GMAT score?

Sent from my moto x4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 14:17
bk2018 wrote:

Congrats on your admit!
Olin has been generous to GMAT Club members this year.

If you are a US Applicant, I would do more soul searching and employer analysis. For international applicants, I would pick the safety of the scholarship.

US. Res ranks these as #16 and #21. That’s 5 spots apart and a big scholarship is too big to ignore in this case. At the same time, schools are pretty different, class-size, employer recruiting, Ivy League Cornell - those add up and something you can resolve at admit weekend or by talking to current students.

As to scholarship with waitlist. That’s depends. It is unlikely to happen for a US Applicant. International applicants who are unlikely to have funds (and thus would choose not to attend if admitted) have been known to receive scholarships after a waitlist.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 15:14
bb wrote:
bk2018 wrote:

Congrats on your admit!
Olin has been generous to GMAT Club members this year.

If you are a US Applicant, I would do more soul searching and employer analysis. For international applicants, I would pick the safety of the scholarship.

US. Res ranks these as #16 and #21. That’s 5 spots apart and a big scholarship is too big to ignore in this case. At the same time, schools are pretty different, class-size, employer recruiting, Ivy League Cornell - those add up and something you can resolve at admit weekend or by talking to current students.

As to scholarship with waitlist. That’s depends. It is unlikely to happen for a US Applicant. International applicants who are unlikely to have funds (and thus would choose not to attend if admitted) have been known to receive scholarships after a waitlist.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you! I am international, from a developing country, which is why the scholarship weighs so heavily. I'm kind of leaning towards Olin as I had a great experience when I visited, but sometimes I have doubts as Cornell is an Ivy with a name that many people know and respect. Probably not worth the 100+K :?
In terms of employment... I don't see a really significant difference and I heard from current students that only a handful of people go to MBB from each school.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 13:52
Thanks for your input, it's really helpful.

Do you have any comments on the same topic but only for European universities, and finding a job post-gradution for an international student?

Thanks!! :-)
Current Student
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 06:43
Absolutely agree with the OP.

Most people I know in top 10 business schools got what they wanted if they set their sights on it to begin with. This excludes:
(1) People who focused exclusively on investment banking or management consulting recruiting between August & December, flamed out without a single offer in January, and decided to pivot last minute and
(2) People who had an extremely narrow range of desired firms/functions but lacked the necessary prerequisite experience (someone without entrepreneurial/IB/corp fin background gunning for PE/VC).

Not saying people from these categories don't succeed - I'm in group (2) and I came away with a number of offers I'm extremely happy with - but most of the people who didn't come away with a job they wanted in the US were from one of these two categories.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 16:35
Excellent post and I had a somewhat similar dilemma with choosing between UNC and Rice. I got a very generous scholarship from Rice and decided to go there despite the offer from UNC. In terms of location , it's a no match as there are only a few locations which could Trump downtown Houston. Secondly, with my background I felt as if I was a much better fit at Rice. Lastly, when I closely observed rankings I observed Jones constantly climbing up the ladder. It's 45 on Financial Times list of best MBA across the world, 22nd on US News and within top 10 in Business week ranking so surely the difference isn't a whole lot. Given the current scenario with immigration and the uncertainty which comes with it, i decided to go ahead with Jones and bb seems to have alluded the same thing in his post too. Though he focused exclusively on top 10 MBA programs but I do feel as if this post is very relevant for say a top 20 MBA vs top 40 MBA with scholarship.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship? &nbs [#permalink] 26 Mar 2018, 16:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Best MBA For International Applicants? Top 20 vs Top 40 Scholarship?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap