Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2148 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q33 V40 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q43 V40
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello Everyone

Requesting for a profile evaluation.

10: 87%
10+2: 76%
B.E. Civil (state Govt Engg college):78%

Work Ex:
HSCL (PSU under Ministry of steel): 6 months as Asst Site Engineer in a project of Storage Development under FCI
RITES (PSU under Ministry of Railways): 6 months as Engineer (Civil) in a Railway Siding Project under NTPC

Gap of 1.5 years as I started preparing for GATE exam.

IOCL (PSU under Ministry of Petroleum): 4.5 years. (i) 3.5 years in Contract Management where i have handled around 200 tenders and finalised more than 500 contracts. Vendor Management, Negotiations were part of the job. (ii) 1 year as Engineering Officer where i have looked after Construction and Civil Maintenance Related work.

Extra Curricular:
1. While I was in class 12, i participated in KVS National Level Sports Meet.
2. Won a number of prizes in Badminton in College Level, Local Area Level and in Company Level.
3. Won a number of Prizes (around 30) in robotics and Model Bridge Building competitions that I took part during college (Undergrad).
4. Published four research papers related to final year project during college (Undergrad).
5. Core committee member of College Placement Cell (Undergrad).

I am presently preparing for GMAT and targeting a score of 700.

Please guide me if i have to score more in GMAT and whether 1.5 year of gap will have negative effect on my application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
RAHULDDAS wrote:
Hello Everyone

Requesting for a profile evaluation.

10: 87%
10+2: 76%
B.E. Civil (state Govt Engg college):78%

Work Ex:
HSCL (PSU under Ministry of steel): 6 months as Asst Site Engineer in a project of Storage Development under FCI
RITES (PSU under Ministry of Railways): 6 months as Engineer (Civil) in a Railway Siding Project under NTPC

Gap of 1.5 years as I started preparing for GATE exam.

IOCL (PSU under Ministry of Petroleum): 4.5 years. (i) 3.5 years in Contract Management where i have handled around 200 tenders and finalised more than 500 contracts. Vendor Management, Negotiations were part of the job. (ii) 1 year as Engineering Officer where i have looked after Construction and Civil Maintenance Related work.

Extra Curricular:
1. While I was in class 12, i participated in KVS National Level Sports Meet.
2. Won a number of prizes in Badminton in College Level, Local Area Level and in Company Level.
3. Won a number of Prizes (around 30) in robotics and Model Bridge Building competitions that I took part during college (Undergrad).
4. Published four research papers related to final year project during college (Undergrad).
5. Core committee member of College Placement Cell (Undergrad).

I am presently preparing for GMAT and targeting a score of 700.

Please guide me if i have to score more in GMAT and whether 1.5 year of gap will have negative effect on my application.

Hi Rahul,
You have an average academic profile, but this can be compensated with a high GMAT score. You should target for an above-average (710+) GMAT score for getting an interview call from ISB. However, GMAT score or academic performance constitutes only one part of your application. You need to substantiate your GMAT score with good essays highlighting your versatile experience in 3 different PSUs. You have worked under 3 important Govt. Ministries such as Steel, Railways and Petroleum in a short span of time. This is something rare and you need to showcase this in your application.

You have also mentioned about a gap in your work profile. Work experience gap is generally not considered positively by the admission committee. But since you are from public sector background, you can pitch in differently. There has been clear jump in the level of job that you achieved by virtue of GATE exam. In Govt/PSU sector, such career jump is possible only through national level exams which take a lot of effort and time. We have examples of many such cases of successful candidates with work ex gap who have made it to ISB. You need to show your application in a very different way to convince the adcom. There are other unique ways to turn this gap into your strength especially from PSU perspective.

Feel free to register for a free admission counselling session to have a one on one detailed analysis of your career and future.
All the best!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
RAHULDDAS wrote:

Hi Rahul, I am afraid 1.5 years of gap is indeed not a good news; the good part however is, that you an compensate for this gap, by scoring exceedingly well on your GMAT.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello everyone,

5 yrs of work ex as a software engineer with MNCs and Product based companies.
Xth-88%
XIIth-70%
B.tech-64%
Short term onsite experience in Ireland.
2 yrs of gap in education.

How is the profile and what Gmat score should i target?

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
sah91 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Xth-88%
XIIth-70%
B.tech-64%

Hello!
This large a gap in experience should have a very solid explanation. Otherwise, it wont be taken positively by the adcom. Your average acads and work profile (IT sector) would make it difficult for you to make it. Could you share a bit more about your interests and experiences outside work? Also, any laurels at work?

Regards,
Manan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi, can anyone evaluate my profile?
For ISB YLP

High School- 85.6%
Intermediate - 90.6% ( State board merit list)
Undergraduate - 8.55 CGPA
GMAT - Have not taken yet

Intern- ONGC And OIL
Also worked with NGO for a month
Job- Probably would be joining Adani Gas at the time of interview
Extracurricular- Have been part of organizing committees (College fest), Event head of event in Fest, Was part of the runner up the cricket team in Intra college cricket tournament and Have been participating in various competitions and winner of few ( in the college only)

Edit1- I forgot to mention the ISB YLP and NGO, kindly advise regarding my admission.

Originally posted by Anuargsinghrana on 10 Jun 2020, 09:17.
Last edited by Anuargsinghrana on 11 Jun 2020, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas '22 ISB '21
Send PM
Hello everyone, I'm looking to apply to the R1 2021 intake. Would love to get community's thoughts on my profile and my chances. Thanks in advance!

Background: 25-yo Indian male.

Undergrad: 6/10.00 undergrad, majored in computer science from a state university.

GMAT: Haven't taken yet but tracking 730 on practice tests without complete review yet. [What score can I get away with?]

Work experience: Total 4 years of work experience as of Aug 20.

1 year at an seed-stage venture capital firm.

2 years of leadership development program at a high growth robotics startup. Here I ​led multiple strategic initiatives​, ​launched and scaled new cross-functional programs​, and ​developed leadership communications​ & company narratives.

1 year of SW Product Management at the same startup.

2 promotions so far, and multiple recognitions by the company CEO.

Extra-curricular: Volunteered with a national not-for-profit for 3 years, helping and enabling local entrepreneurs.

Post MBA goals
Short term: Join a VC / PE firm and gain more experience and credibility for my medium/long-term goal (below)
Medium/Long term: Launch my own VC fund to support enable local entrepreneurs and help build the Indian growth story.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
harshalbot wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm looking to apply to the R1 2021 intake. Would love to get community's thoughts on my profile and my chances. Thanks in advance!

Undergrad: 6/10.00 undergrad, majored in computer science from a state university.

GMAT: Haven't taken yet but tracking 730 on practice tests without complete review yet. [What score can I get away with?]

2 years of leadership development program at a high growth robotics startup. Here I ​led multiple strategic initiatives​, ​launched and scaled new cross-functional programs​, and ​developed leadership communications​ & company narratives.

Extra-curricular: Volunteered with a national not-for-profit for 3 years, helping and enabling local entrepreneurs.

Post MBA goals
Short term: Join a VC / PE firm and gain more experience and credibility for my medium/long-term goal (below)
Medium/Long term: Launch my own VC fund to support enable local entrepreneurs and help build the Indian growth story.

Hi,

You will have to aim for a 730 or higher GMAT to bolster your academic profile. The college GPA is not very helpful here. So keep aiming higher, also get your recommender to mention your number-crunching skills.

The jump to VC from a startup is impressive and will give you some advantage in the difficult VC/PE recruiting, which is already at a low given the current market scenario and startups going bust. A personal network while at ISB will be important to land the VC role post PGP, in case on-campus recruiting doesn't work for you. I am a little unclear about the LDP at the robotics startups- mostly LDPs run in established companies, I haven't heard of one in a startup.
Lastly, I'll touch upon the goals. Launching your own fund is difficult. it requires an excellent track record in the industry and tremendous credibility. You can achieve the same goal of funding startups via a partner level position at a VC, why talk about starting your fund?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
harshalbot wrote:

Hi harshalbot, did you start your career with a VC firm and then subsequently switch to robotics/SW Product Management?

If yes, then we need to think thru why you want to go back to joining a VC firm. Overall, since there seem to be quite drastic career changes, statement of purpose would pose to be a challenge.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 74
Schools: ISB '21
Send PM
My name is Balvindra Pratap Singh and I am working as a marine engineer for last 5 years.My academic and professional experience is provided below.
Class 10th(CBSE)2006 -90%(i had scored 100 marks in science and received merit certificate from CBSE board)
Class 12th(CBSE)2008-77%
Btec in marine engineering from Birla Institute of Technology and science ,Pilani.I had scored 78.5%.
After college i had joined NYK LINES,a japaneese company, and worked there for 2 years as 3rd assistant engineer.
Then i switched to MITSUI OSK LINES,Japan and i am currently working there for last 3 years as 2nd assistant engineer in their Liquified Natural Gas ships.
In my 5 years of sea experience, I have shown leadership in many instances and motivated people for safe working culture.Once i was a part of an invegtigation team on board a ship.I have global experience of working with around 7 different nationalities.
My hobbies include poetry,hockey,trekking and paragliding.
I have worked for Non Profit Organisations as well.
Please evaluate my profile and accordingly suggest me to improve more.
Thank you!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
Balvindra wrote:
My name is Balvindra Pratap Singh and I am working as a marine engineer for last 5 years.My academic and professional experience is provided below.
Class 10th(CBSE)2006 -90%(i had scored 100 marks in science and received merit certificate from CBSE board)
Class 12th(CBSE)2008-77%
Btec in marine engineering from Birla Institute of Technology and science ,Pilani.I had scored 78.5%.
After college i had joined NYK LINES,a japaneese company, and worked there for 2 years as 3rd assistant engineer.
Then i switched to MITSUI OSK LINES,Japan and i am currently working there for last 3 years as 2nd assistant engineer in their Liquified Natural Gas ships.
In my 5 years of sea experience, I have shown leadership in many instances and motivated people for safe working culture.Once i was a part of an invegtigation team on board a ship.I have global experience of working with around 7 different nationalities.
My hobbies include poetry,hockey,trekking and paragliding.
I have worked for Non Profit Organisations as well.
Please evaluate my profile and accordingly suggest me to improve more.
Thank you!!!

Hi Balvindra, very decent profile. Your immediate and significant area of focus should be GMAT. See if you can get a 700+.

Marine Engineers generally bring with them, a vast experience and knowledge in the field of operations that is significantly valued by b-schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ISBeacon wrote:
harshalbot wrote:

Hi harshalbot, did you start your career with a VC firm and then subsequently switch to robotics/SW Product Management?

If yes, then we need to think thru why you want to go back to joining a VC firm. Overall, since there seem to be quite drastic career changes, statement of purpose would pose to be a challenge.

Hey ISBeacon, yep I did. Having spoken to so many entrepreneurs and operators, I wanted to understand what's it like on the other side of the table. Hence the switch. At the startup, I worked alongside one of the co-founders to execute strategic initiatives for 2 years before switching to Product Management.

Now that I have an understanding of what it's like to operate within a high-growth startup, how do entrepreneurs think, execute and take decisions, amongst a whole lot of other things, I feel I could do better as an investor.

I agree on the SoP being slightly complicated in terms of showcasing direction, the past decisions and my future goals, and hence my request for a profile evaluation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
harshalbot wrote:

Post MBA goals

Hi,

You will have to aim for a 730 or higher GMAT to bolster your academic profile. The college GPA is not very helpful here. So keep aiming higher, also get your recommender to mention your number-crunching skills.

The jump to VC from a startup is impressive and will give you some advantage in the difficult VC/PE recruiting, which is already at a low given the current market scenario and startups going bust. A personal network while at ISB will be important to land the VC role post PGP, in case on-campus recruiting doesn't work for you. I am a little unclear about the LDP at the robotics startups- mostly LDPs run in established companies, I haven't heard of one in a startup.
Lastly, I'll touch upon the goals. Launching your own fund is difficult. it requires an excellent track record in the industry and tremendous credibility. You can achieve the same goal of funding startups via a partner level position at a VC, why talk about starting your fund?

Thank you for your words MBADecoder

I agree on the need for a higher GMAT and that is what even I'm trying to track for.

Thank you for specifically mentioning about the number crunching skills inclusion my LoRs. I will definitely keep this in mind when I'm speaking to them.

I agree on the difficulty of launching a fund, which is why it is a long-term goal and not immediate short-term. Building my track record and credibility by joining a firm is the short term goal.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
indianaspirant826 wrote:
Post MBA goals

I agree on the difficulty of launching a fund, which is why it is a long-term goal and not immediate short-term. Building my track record and credibility by joining a firm is the short term goal.

Yeah, what I meant is, do you been want to say you will launch your own fund and be questioned over it during the interview, or talk about growing within the VC firm

And- reading your conversation with ISBeacon, I realized how your career flows. Somehow I assumed you are currently at the VC because that sounds directly linked to your goals.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Anuargsinghrana wrote:
Hi can anyone evaluate my profile.

High School- 85.6%
Intermediate - 90.6% ( State board merit list)
Undergraduate - 8.55 CGPA

Intern- ONGC And OIL
Job- Probably would be joining Adani Gas at the time of interview
Extracurricular- Have been part of organizing committees (College fest), Event head of event in Fest, Was part of the runner up the cricket team in Intra college cricket tournament and Have been participating in various competitions and winner of few ( in the college only)

Hi Anuargsinghrana

- Acads are pretty good, so that is a plus to begin with. Decent internships (employer names) with ONGC and Oil India, though these will of course not count as work experience.
- The experience with Adani will help but not sure how much of it you will have. Do also consider applying next year in case experience is very low, as that will put you at a disadvantage with other candidates in the EEO pool, many of whom will have 1+ years of experience too.
- ECA is ok but not very differentiated. A bit of a weakness here.
- Target a GMAT score of 720+ to be able to positive differentiate yourself in a competitive pool.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sah91 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Xth-88%
XIIth-70%
B.tech-64%

Hi sah91

Please provide more information on the duration of your onsite experience, the period of gap (years), and more context into your work (what kind of software products you work on, and employer names).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
I have applied for ISB YlP and I can not apply for the next year.
and also I have one month of REWS NGO so How much will that help.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  171   172   173   174   175  ...  307