Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: ISB '23
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Shivamjulka wrote:
Please evaluate my profile as per the below mentioned details:

GMAT Score- 680 ( Q48, V35 & IR3)
Nationality-Indian
Age-28
Graduation- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from an average college
X- 92.64%
XII-89.67%
Graduation-73.5%
Work Ex- Will be completing 5 years of Work Ex in August 22.
Employer- Second Largest Public Sector Bank in India
Work Ex details: Currently working as Manager post receiving promotion in April 2020 overseeing Recovery Actions in NPA Accounts with a team of 17 overseeing a total portfolio of approx Rs. 600 Cr. Previously worked in a branch with a team of 7 people providing banking services to a client base of approx 30,000 customers while handling a business of approx Rs. 110Cr.
Achievements and Extra Curriculars: Participated in various quizzes and debates at school level and was also a scholarship holder. In college, was a part of a team of 14 people that fabricated a Go-Cart to compete in a National Level Competition. Was also part of fest organizing committees and some other clubs too. Participated in marathons organized at city level. Volunteered as a member of an organization that conducts an Art & Cultural Heritage Festival annually in the city. Additionally, worked as a Presiding Officer overseeing Polling Operation for a booth of 2000 voters during the 2019 General Elections in the country.
Post MBA short term goal: Looking to enter into the domain of management consulting or investment banking.
Long Term Goal: To work as a CXO in a conglomerate

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Shivamjulka

Having worked with some of the recent applicants who were from your bank and some Pvt banks who applied to the ISB and IIM, I can say you have a good profile considering your 5 years of work experience. However, your academic percentages are acceptable but not the GMAT score especially when your short-term goal is management consulting or investment banking.

You should think of writing the GMAT again or make your short-term goal more realistic. In your essays and application, the focus should be on your individual contribution along with the team/organizational achievements. Extracurriculars during college are good but lack continuity.

Regards
Team ISBMantra
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
Anubhav7895 wrote:
HELLO TEAM,

I would be highly obliged if you kindly reply my queries.
My academics:-
My 10th class -9 CGPA
12TH CLASS -73%
BTECH FROM JSS NOIDA in computer science branch - 68%
Alongside with my job i did MA in political science(56%, 2 year , correspondence) and in Sociology(59%, 2 year , correspondence)
I am working as "lekhpal or revenue sub inspector"(class C job) in UTTAR PRADESH(India) government revenue department since 5 and half year.Lekhpals were declared as frontline covid warriors.My work as lekhpal is to monitor the land of assigned village panchayat,issue caste/domicile and income cetificates of village ppl, measurement of land, resolution of land related isuues and assisting village people in availing benefits of various govt. Welfare Schemes, parallerly act se supervisor under election commission of India where I supervise 10 people(booth level officer) for the maintainance of voter list.At election time our department is mainly responsible for making election booths , preparing election voter machine (EVM), distributing EVM to allocated staff of respected polling booth etc. We are responsible for organisating election event at grassroot
level.lekhpal comes under supervision of SDM(sub divisional magistrate).I have worked in 23 villages and 2 towns till now.I have done btech from CSE and a2016 passout.So now i am thinking of doing a MBA executive with a prestigious MBA college.For this i need a good GMAT score.I have started GMAT preparation with a targeted score of 700.

Extra curricular
1.won debate competition, Model united nation during college time
2. District general secretory of an NGO Madad ek aas(registered and donated 5000+ unit of blood)
3.I am district president of youth wing of Bhraman mahasabha(caste based social organisation) for last 5 years
4.Corona warrior
5.Was a political activist.

Now I want to switch to corporate sector via MBA.I
Here are some queries
1.Is it possible to do a switch like that and get a handsome salary package MBA job in India.
2. What are some Indian colleges I can target for.
3.Is general MBA executive(1yr) suits my profile.
4.Please suggest various job profile which I can aspire.
5.Showing activities such as political activist and a district president in a caste based social organisation will create a negative impact
6.As I have done 2 Master degrees with 56%(political science ) and 59%(sociology) via a correspondence route along with my job.Does this poor percentage in master create a bad impact for my college application or I need not to mention these degrees.

DOB-1995
I want your valuable guidance regarding the same. Thank you

Hi Anubhav7895,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

First of all, its great to hear the good work that you have done! Your profile is very diverse. You have done a lot of real groundwork. Such experiences are highly valued in college admissions.

Coming to your queries :

1.Is it possible to do a switch like that and get a handsome salary package MBA job in India.

Switching is quite possible as hundreds of candidates with your background make the switch every year. Handsome salary depends upon your preparation and luck, but definitely it will be significantly more than your current salary!

You can target for ISB, IIM A/B/C/L/I. There are other colleges as well, but aim for top colleges for now. Once your GMAT score is with you, a better decision on target colleges can be taken.

Yes, it suits your profile perfectly. From your passout year, it seems you have 5+ years of work experience.

You can target general management roles, government consulting roles etc.

5.Showing activities such as political activist and a district president in a caste based social organisation will create a negative impact

No, it will not. Hiding it will take away your USP

6.As I have done 2 Master degrees with 56%(political science ) and 59%(sociology) via a correspondence route along with my job.Does this poor percentage in master create a bad impact for my college application or I need not to mention these degrees.

These are additional degrees. The percentages will not matter here. You need to project them as skill enhancement endeavors

In addition to these, do aim a 700+ GMAT.

Best wishes!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thankyou so much for your kind appreciation.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
AnkitNandwani wrote:
Hi, can someone please evaluate my profile for ISB co24?

GMAT: Yet to attempt (Official mock ~690, aiming for a 700+ score)

Class 10th - 10 CGPA CBSE
Class 12th - 92.2% CBSE
Undergraduation:
B.Tech in Production Engineering & Honors in Mech. Engineering (PEC University, Chandigarh - 2018 (Tier 1))
9.01/10 CGPA (Department Rank 2)

Work Ex
Total 4 Years
2.5 Years in Management Consulting (ZS Associates - Left ZS as an Associate Consultant, led multiple projects)
1.5 Years in a Series A funded startup as a Product Manager (Joined when the company had 6 Employees, now we are at 100 Employees)

Extra Curricular:
Class 8th
Attended district cricket camp
Under-grad:
Part of Photography and music club
Performed in different events as a singer/guitarist
Active part of NSS (Made short films to create awareness, organized blood donation camps)
Recent:
Part of NGO called We Initiate (Organized multiple events like a city level health checkup camp, cloth donation drive, etc.)

Great profile, great experience, great academics, great extracurriculars.. Just get over 720+ and you will get into any college you want.

Best of luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Anubhav7895 wrote:
HELLO TEAM,

My 10th class -9 CGPA
12TH CLASS -73%
Alongside with my job i did MA in political science(56%, 2 year , correspondence) and in Sociology(59%, 2 year , correspondence)
I am working as "lekhpal or revenue sub inspector"(class C job) in UTTAR PRADESH(India) government revenue department since 5 and half year.Lekhpals were declared as frontline covid warriors.My work as lekhpal is to monitor the land of assigned village panchayat,issue caste/domicile and income cetificates of village ppl, measurement of land, resolution of land related isuues and assisting village people in availing benefits of various govt. Welfare Schemes, parallerly act se supervisor under election commission of India where I supervise 10 people(booth level officer) for the maintainance of voter list.At election time our department is mainly responsible for making election booths , preparing election voter machine (EVM), distributing EVM to allocated staff of respected polling booth etc. We are responsible for organisating election event at grassroot
level.lekhpal comes under supervision of SDM(sub divisional magistrate).I have worked in 23 villages and 2 towns till now.I have done btech from CSE and a2016 passout.So now i am thinking of doing a MBA executive with a prestigious MBA college.For this i need a good GMAT score.I have started GMAT preparation with a targeted score of 700.

Extra curricular
2. District general secretory of an NGO Madad ek aas(registered and donated 5000+ unit of blood)
3.I am district president of youth wing of Bhraman mahasabha(caste based social organisation) for last 5 years
4.Corona warrior

Here are some queries

DOB-1995

ISBmantra please respond to my queries
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools: ISB '24 (I)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Send PM
Hello kind people. I would appreciate your inputs on my profile.

GMAT Score 1: 710
GMAT Score 2: 770
Nationality: Indian
Graduation: B.Tech in IT from an average college
X: 7.2 GPA
XII: 75%
BTech: 7 GPA
Work Experience: Have 5 years of work ex in IT Telecom company. Started out as a software engineer. Led team of 10. Working as Product Manager in the same company for past 1 year.
Other highlights: 99 percentile stock trader consistently profitable since last 2 years. Basketball achievements in school and college. 99 percentile e-sports player.
Short term goal: Want to continue into PM or go into strategy.
Long term goal: Entrepreneurship.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

Your GMAT score adds value to your academic profile. Goals also seem to be in line. Extracurriculars show your diverse interests. Going by the inputs you have shared here, you do have a strong profile. A lot will also depend on how you put your story across through the application and the essays.

All the best!

nickjay wrote:

Work Experience: Have 5 years of work ex in IT Telecom company. Started out as a software engineer. Led team of 10. Working as Product Manager in the same company for past 1 year.
Other highlights: 99 percentile stock trader consistently profitable since last 2 years. Basketball achievements in school and college. 99 percentile e-sports player.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Anubhav7895

Thank you for sharing your profile and queries. You have a very diverse profile, Please see the response below the questions asked:
Vikram Singh
+91 970-419-1116
-----------------------
CEO & Chief Mentor, ISBmantra
Former Manager, Admissions & Financial Aid, ISB PGP/EEO/YLP
https://www.linkedin.com/in/singhisking/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Kudos
nickjay wrote:

Am not able to take my eyes off your 770 on GMAT :). Wow! You know this score really redeems you of "average college" and "average academics".

So, just focus on crafting an impeccable application now.

p.s. Your long term goal of Entrepreneurship seems out of place to me, since there is nothing in your profile so far that suggests your interest in Entrepreneurship.
--
Ashish.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
LewsTherinTelamon wrote:
Questions:

1) Should I improve my overall GMAT? Is the split in Quant and Verbal relevant?
2) If I transition to PM role before applying, will it improve my chances significantly? Based on this I want to decide if I should apply for round 2 after landing a role in PM.
3) For LOR, should I go with my Direct Manager whom I report to, or the Product Manager of my team? Considering I want to move to PM role, would a LOR from my PM improve my chances?
4) Is there anything else I can do to improve my profile?
5) Any tips for ReApplication Essay?

1) Well, looks like you got a 720 last time without any GMAT prep! Wow! So, you got a Q51 just like that :). Way to go. Since you did get a feedback from ISB that you should improve your GMAT score, you should.

2) It will obviously strengthen your profile, yes.

3) Direct manager would be better, since she would have a better view of your work and can really vouch for you.

4) Well, right now, the biggest favor you can do to yourself, is to work on maximizing your GMAT.

5) See if you can show a holistic improvement over the last one year (GMAT, academics, and professionally)
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Anubhav7895

Thank you for sharing your profile and queries. You have a very diverse profile, Please see the response below the questions asked:

1.Is it possible to do a switch like that and get a handsome salary package MBA job in India?
Yes, it is possible to switch to the corporate and the salary would be much better than what govt organizations pay.

2. What are some Indian colleges I can target for?
With 5 and half years of work experience, you definitely can apply to the ISB.

Considering the opportunity cost, the one year program certainly suits your profile.

Impact consulting and related fields is an area you can explore.

5.Showing activities such as political activist and a district president in a caste based social organisation will create a negative impact.
No, it will not create any negative impact.

It's good to mention the master's degree and that it's in a diverse field. will certainly add value.

Team ISBmantra
https://www.isbmantra.com | info@isbmantra.com

Anubhav7895 wrote:
HELLO TEAM,

My 10th class -9 CGPA
12TH CLASS -73%

Extra curricular
4.Corona warrior

Here are some queries

DOB-1995

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
LewsTherinTelamon wrote:
Hi folks,

I am Sai Shekhar,
I was waitlisted in round 3 last year.

GMAT: 720 (Q51 and V35).
B.Tech: 7.3 CGPA /10. CSE from Osmania University (Campus itself).
12th: 91.6
10th: 9.5/10
Indian-Male-Engineer.

Work Experience:
I graduated in 2018 and have been working as a Software Engineer. Recently promoted after last year's application.

I am also scrum master of my team. So, I have some leadership experience.
Short term goal is Product Management.
Long Term goal is leadership position in a Software Company. (Though not so sure about this.)

After the rejection last time, I joined a program which up-skills people to get job in PM role. I am confident of landing PM role by myself soon.
I also was promoted recently to Senior Software Engineer.

Questions:

1) Should I improve my overall GMAT? Is the split in Quant and Verbal relevant?
2) If I transition to PM role before applying, will it improve my chances significantly? Based on this I want to decide if I should apply for round 2 after landing a role in PM.
3) For LOR, should I go with my Direct Manager whom I report to, or the Product Manager of my team? Considering I want to move to PM role, would a LOR from my PM improve my chances?
4) Is there anything else I can do to improve my profile?
5) Any tips for ReApplication Essay?

The feedback I received from ISB was that my interview went very well, but lost by a small margin. And that I should improve GMAT this time.
I am preparing for GMAT this time. (Dint get to prepare last time, applied to ISB in last moment in round 3.)

Hello LewsTherinTelamon,

Thanks for writing in.

Please find our responses below:

1. If you feel you have it in you to work on and improve your GMAT, then there is no harm in doing so, especially in light of the feedback you received.
2. Yes, the transition to a PM role could definitely help add an important talking point to your re-applicant essay; so, it might be worth waiting and applying in a later round.
3. You should get a recommendation from the person you have worked with more closely and who will be able to provide you with a more personalized recommendation.
4. Unfortunately, we do not have that much time in hand. So, all your efforts should be focused on just improving the GMAT and then working on your application essays.
5. Focus on each and every aspect of your candidature - academic, GMAT, extra-curricular and show how you have improved on all fronts.

All the best!
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Kind nickjay

ISB follows a composite scoring model. You would score average weightage because of your academic percentages and the college average. However, the excellent GMAT score will compensate for the weightage you will lose in your academic section. Your work experience sounds rich and your current work experience as a Product Manager will be highly valued, considering your short term career goal.

Your extra curricular is limited to college, hope you have continued some of your extra curricular activities during 5 years of professional journey. Overall you will make a great profile with your current academic, non-academic and professional skills, if written and explained well through the essays and other parts of the application.

Feel free to register for a detailed profile evaluation with the in house mentors.

Team ISBMantra
https://www.isbmantra.com | info@isbmantra.com

nickjay wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Please provide your 2 cents on my profile -

26 years, Female

Academics -
X - 10 CGPA, 95 percentage
XII - 96.8 percentage
BE - 73.9 percentage, NSIT Delhi
GMAT - 710 , Q49, V39

Work Experience -
Deloitte India - 3 years , Business Analyst in Consulting Domain
RTDS - 2 years , Junior Product Manager 2 (Cloud telephony domain)
Exotel - 3 months, Product Manager (Cloud telephony domain)

Short term goal - Continue to grow in Product Management, Strategy

Long term goal - Become a CPO and make kickass product

Extra curricular - Nothing of great significance.

Originally posted by Chitrangna on 26 Jul 2022, 09:06.
Last edited by Chitrangna on 26 Jul 2022, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
Chitrangna wrote:
Hi everyone,

Please provide your 2 cents on my profile -

26 years, Female

Academics -
X - 10 CGPA, 95 percentage
XII - 96.8 percentage
BE - 73.9 percentage, NSIT Delhi

Work Experience -
Deloitte India - 3 years , Business Analyst in Consulting Domain
RTDS - 2 years , Junior Product Manager 2 (Cloud telephony domain)
Exotel - 3 months, Product Manager (Cloud telephony domain)

Short term goal - Continue to grow in Product Management, Strategy

Long term goal - Become a CPO and make kickass product

Extra curricular - Nothing of great significance.

It is slightly disappointing when people post their profiles, without even a mention of GMAT :| . Not even an expected score.

It might be important to note that GMAT is a very important component of profile. Even a remotely holistic evaluation of profile is not possible, without knowing the GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Hi ISBeacon,

Apologies for the miss. I totally missed out on it.

Please re-evaluate the profile.

Thanks,
Chitrangna

Originally posted by Chitrangna on 26 Jul 2022, 09:15.
Last edited by Chitrangna on 26 Jul 2022, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey,

Please evaluate my profile for ISB:

26 Y/M
GRE score: 331 (Q170 V161 AWA 4.5)
Graduation: B.Tech in Metallurgical Engineering from NIT Raipur (2013-17)
Academics: B.Tech (9.34 GPA)- Third in Department
Class XII- 88.6% (CBSE)
Class X - 10 CGPA (CBSE)
GATE 2017- AIR 3

Work Experience:
Oct'17-July'21 - Sr. Sales Officer(LPG-Sales),Indian Oil Corp.Ltd.
1. Managed the day-to-day operations for 51 IOC LPG distributorships in four districts of Maharashtra.
2. Responsible for ensuring backlog free market and forecasting market demand.
3. Responsible for increasing market share of various LPG products such as Domestic (14.2 kg/5 kg), Non-domestic (19 kg) and Bulk LPG within the sales area.
4. Ensured the proper implementation of government LPG schemes such as the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana and the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana within the four districts.
5. Functioned as the District Nodal Officer in a backward district in Maharashtra, representing all oil marketing companies in the district for issues related to LPG marketing.

Achievements during the above tenure:
1. Commissioned 27 new LPG distributorships during the tenure. (from field verification to final sales)
2. Over one lakh new Ujjwala LPG connections were released in the sales area from 2017-19.
3. Earned Outstanding rating twice during the four years. (FY 2018-19 and FY 2021-22).
4. Ensured increase in market share in all the segments during the tenure.
5. Cleared psychometric test and interview to get into Retail Sales Department in 2021.

August'21-January'22- Assistant Manager (Retail Sales)
1. Managed the day-to-day operations for 61 Retail Outlets (Petrol Pumps).
2. Responsible for expansion of dealer network by identifying potential sites for business growth.
3. Responsible for target oriented sales of petrol, diesel, premium products and lubricants through dealer network.
4. Engaged with government agencies for faster compliances of statutory and safety requirements for commissioning new retail outlets.

Achievements during the above tenure:
1. Overall positive market share in Petrol & Diesel retail sales during the tenure.
2. Commissioned four retail outlets in rural parts of the sales area.

I resigned from my job in January 22 after a lot of deliberation.Would that be a deterring factor in my application?

After resigning I have enrolled in an impact Fellowship Program wherein I am learning nuances of Management consulting. I am currently working on a white paper with a team of 6 on sustainability. Also I have enrolled in another global experience program to work as a consultant on an international project remotely.

Career Goals: Energy consulting is something that excites me for now. To hone my problem solving skills, I am working on varied topics in the fellowship program. My previous experience with an energy company has placed me at a position where I understand the problems of sustainability, climate change and optimisation.

Extracurricular activities:

1. Diploma in Instrumental (Tabla). Performed in school and college functions.
2. Part of NGOs involved in the education of underprivileged children and outreach programs during COVID'19. (certificates available)
3. As part of CSR activities, spearheaded social work through the distributor network in the sales area.

Queries:
1. Should I appear for GMAT or the GRE score would suffice?
2. Would the career gap be viewed negatively by the Adcom?

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  256   257   258   259   260  ...  307