Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 21:10 It is currently 07 May 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V26
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hey all,
Please evaluate my profile.

Education
Btech - 6.1, IIT Kanpur
GMAT - 700

Work ex
1. 6 months as a product manager at icici Lombard
2. 2 years as a cofounder/ceo at an agritech startup. Raised 100K USD. Built a team of 14 people and achieved a GMV of 150K USD within 8 months of launch.
3. Will be joining a VC firm from next month.

extra curriculars
1. Captain of my institute's volleyball team. Won a lot of medals at national level sports competitions
2. Had been a member of core team of a college fest which has a footfall of >2000 students.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
neelampatel wrote:
Hey all,

Education
Btech - 6.1, IIT Kanpur
GMAT - 700

Work ex
2. 2 years as a cofounder/ceo at an agritech startup. Raised 100K USD. Built a team of 14 people and achieved a GMV of 150K USD within 8 months of launch.

extra curriculars
1. Captain of my institute's volleyball team. Won a lot of medals at national level sports competitions
2. Had been a member of core team of a college fest which has a footfall of >2000 students.

Thanks

Hi Neelam,
We believe that given that already have an IIT brand name on your profile that will work to your advantage.
Your gmat score also should be okay.
Given the fact that you have co-founded your own startup that should also work in your favor.
However, since ISB evaluates a profile holistically we would need more information to help you better.
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
neelampatel wrote:
Hey all,

Education
Btech - 6.1, IIT Kanpur
GMAT - 700

Work ex

extra curriculars

Thanks

Hi neelampatel,

Nice profile overall. Working on your start-up and now a VC role works in your favor. However, few things to keep in mind,
- your undergrad CGPA is less so it should ideally be compensated through an above average GMAT. Hence, try to improve by ~20 points if you can. If not, it isn't a deal breaker. Hence, a good to have

- Given you have already gone through a start-up journey and now joining a VC firm, the goals need to be well thought-through. If you want to transition back to entrepreneurship, then the 'when' needs to be answered and if you wish to continue within the VC space, then should it make sense to apply next year so that you have a solid 1.5 years of VC experience before you start your MBA journey.

The above point might sound counter-intuitive and a possible revenue loss for us admission consultants but you should apply when a) you're ready and b) when it makes more sense from a mid-long term perspective. It is not just about getting in the school but also a lot more about what you'd get out of it. :)

Cheers,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G & Dream Compass
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mananpuri/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
neelampatel wrote:
Education
Btech - 6.1, IIT Kanpur
GMAT - 700

Hi! If you are serious about ISB, I would suggest that you consider retaking GMAT, in light of your low undergrad marks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: ISB '24
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
Send PM
Hi folks,

I am Sai Shekhar,
I was waitlisted in round 3 last year.

GMAT: 720 (Q51 and V35).
B.Tech: 7.3 CGPA /10. CSE from Osmania University (Campus itself).
12th: 91.6
10th: 9.5/10
Indian-Male-Engineer.

Work Experience:
I graduated in 2018 and have been working as a Software Engineer. Recently promoted after last year's application.

I am also scrum master of my team. So, I have some leadership experience.
Short term goal is Product Management.
Long Term goal is leadership position in a Software Company. (Though not so sure about this.)

After the rejection last time, I joined a program which up-skills people to get job in PM role. I am confident of landing PM role by myself soon.
I also was promoted recently to Senior Software Engineer.

Questions:

1) Should I improve my overall GMAT? Is the split in Quant and Verbal relevant?
2) If I transition to PM role before applying, will it improve my chances significantly? Based on this I want to decide if I should apply for round 2 after landing a role in PM.
3) For LOR, should I go with my Direct Manager whom I report to, or the Product Manager of my team? Considering I want to move to PM role, would a LOR from my PM improve my chances?
4) Is there anything else I can do to improve my profile?
5) Any tips for ReApplication Essay?

The feedback I received from ISB was that my interview went very well, but lost by a small margin. And that I should improve GMAT this time.
I am preparing for GMAT this time. (Dint get to prepare last time, applied to ISB in last moment in round 3.)
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Expert Reply
LewsTherinTelamon wrote:
Hi folks,

I am Sai Shekhar,

Indian-Male-Engineer.

Work Experience:
I graduated in 2018 and have been working as a Software Engineer. Recently promoted after last year's application.

Long Term goal is leadership position in a Software Company. (Though not so sure about this.)

After the rejection last time, I joined a program which up-skills people to get job in PM role. I am confident of landing PM role by myself soon.

Questions:

2) If I transition to PM role before applying, will it improve my chances significantly? Based on this I want to decide if I should apply for round 2 after landing a role in PM.
3) For LOR, should I go with my Direct Manager whom I report to, or the Product Manager of my team? Considering I want to move to PM role, would a LOR from my PM improve my chances?

The feedback I received from ISB was that my interview went very well, but lost by a small margin. And that I should improve GMAT this time.
I am preparing for GMAT this time. (Dint get to prepare last time, applied to ISB in last moment in round 3.)

Hello sai Shekhar LewsTherinTelamon

Below is the answer to your questions:

1. Overall GMAT improvement would do.
2. If the promotion is due then it is worth waiting for the second round.
3. LOR should be taken from someone who knows your work and also your strengths and achievements.
4. Reapplication essay should have changes since the last application personally and professionally.

Regards
Team ISBMantra
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Expert Reply
neelampatel wrote:
Hey all,

Education
Btech - 6.1, IIT Kanpur
GMAT - 700

Work ex

extra curriculars

Thanks

Hello neelampatel

Though you have studied at the IIT your CGPA and GMAT score would make your application weak. However, you seem to have good work experience and extracurriculars. Would need more details about your profile to holistically evaluate and advise. Feel free to get in touch for the profile evaluation and in the meantime see if you can attempt the GMAT again.

All the Best.

Regards
Team ISBMantra
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 275
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Please evaluate my profile as per the below mentioned details:

GMAT Score- 680 ( Q48, V35 & IR3)
Nationality-Indian
Age-28
Graduation- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from an average college
X- 92.64%
XII-89.67%
Graduation-73.5%
Work Ex- Will be completing 5 years of Work Ex in August 22.
Employer- Second Largest Public Sector Bank in India
Work Ex details: Currently working as Manager post receiving promotion in April 2020 overseeing Recovery Actions in NPA Accounts with a team of 17 overseeing a total portfolio of approx Rs. 600 Cr. Previously worked in a branch with a team of 7 people providing banking services to a client base of approx 30,000 customers while handling a business of approx Rs. 110Cr.
Achievements and Extra Curriculars: Participated in various quizzes and debates at school level and was also a scholarship holder. In college, was a part of a team of 14 people that fabricated a Go-Cart to compete in a National Level Competition. Was also part of fest organizing committees and some other clubs too. Participated in marathons organized at city level. Volunteered as a member of an organization that conducts an Art & Cultural Heritage Festival annually in the city. Additionally, worked as a Presiding Officer overseeing Polling Operation for a booth of 2000 voters during the 2019 General Elections in the country.
Post MBA short term goal: Looking to enter into the domain of management consulting or investment banking.
Long Term Goal: To work as a CXO in a conglomerate

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Shivamjulka wrote:

Nationality-Indian
Age-28
X- 92.64%
XII-89.67%
Graduation-73.5%
Work Ex details: Currently working as Manager post receiving promotion in April 2020 overseeing Recovery Actions in NPA Accounts with a team of 17 overseeing a total portfolio of approx Rs. 600 Cr. Previously worked in a branch with a team of 7 people providing banking services to a client base of approx 30,000 customers while handling a business of approx Rs. 110Cr.
Achievements and Extra Curriculars: Participated in various quizzes and debates at school level and was also a scholarship holder. In college, was a part of a team of 14 people that fabricated a Go-Cart to compete in a National Level Competition. Was also part of fest organizing committees and some other clubs too. Participated in marathons organized at city level. Volunteered as a member of an organization that conducts an Art & Cultural Heritage Festival annually in the city. Additionally, worked as a Presiding Officer overseeing Polling Operation for a booth of 2000 voters during the 2019 General Elections in the country.
Post MBA short term goal: Looking to enter into the domain of management consulting or investment banking.

Hi Shivamjulka,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Your profile is good considering the type of work experience and extra curricular. PSU bank work is highly valued if you are able to sell it properly. The academics are pretty good as well. Graduation college hardly matters in selection.

The shortcoming though is regrading GMAT score. There is huge competition among PSU bankers itself, so the GMAT score may not help your case properly. You can still get selected, but you need to have compelling essays and 'near excellent' interview.

Although you do stand a good enough chance to get admitted into one year MBAs of some IIMs at this score.

Do work on your essays. Make your goals realistic (every applicant writes almost the same goal as you have mentioned). Prepare for the interview beforehand. And then you stand a reasonable chance of selection.

Best wishes!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
TG02 wrote:
Hi,

NOTE: Yet to attempt my GMAT.

I graduated from RVCE, Bengaluru in B.E.-Electronics and Telecommunication in 2020. Since then, I have been working in Cisco as a Technical Consulting Engineer and recently moved to a new role as a Project Manager.

10th: ICSE: 91.5%
12th: CBSE: 91.4%
BTech: 8.5/10
Work ex(as of Aug,2022)- 24months

Achievement and Co curricular:
-Lead a stretch project in my organization as a Project Manager for managing the developments/growth in Top Global Customer Accounts
- Part of a Focus group along with a group of Northwestern MBA students, working on a program named “Future of CXA”
-Member- RVCE Nanosatellite Team- ANTARIKSH
-Master of Ceremony of various events -Part of the Anchoring team of the college
-Member of the Debating Society in College
-Member of Organising teams of E-SUMMITs

I would want to know if my profile is good enough to go ahead and try and attempt GMAT and apply in Round2/Round3 of ISB or should I wait for a few more years for the same?

Hello TG02,

Thanks for writing in.

You definitely have a profile that is good enough to apply to ISB. Of course, you will need to trace your career growth, achievements, and leadership potential, to build a strong case for yourself. The most important element - your career goals are not present here. We would like to see what you have in mind in this regard.

With regard to the GMAT, we agree with the comments above, a 720+ is what you should aim for so as to have a competing chance at receiving an interview call.

Should you wish to have a detailed discussion about your prospects, please feel free to get in touch with us.

Good luck!
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello neelampatel

Most things check the box- IIT brand (not a great score, but not a deal breaker either). GMAT is just there (again, not great, but most likely not a deal breaker). Work ex could be the stand out strength if presented well with key accomplishments. Extracurricular look dated and might not add much value unless the achievements are stellar and relevant to the b school application.
Now this is where things get tricky- Career Goals. Too many blanks to fill here. Firstly, what are your clear and realistic goals. Second, why PGP after just 2 years of entrepreneurship. Why so soon after just getting into a VC firm. The narrative is not clear as of now and will be extremely crucial for the school to make a decision.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
+918452954888 (https://gmatclub.com/chat)
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

neelampatel wrote:
Hey all,

Education
Btech - 6.1, IIT Kanpur
GMAT - 700

Work ex

extra curriculars

Thanks
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello LewsTherinTelamon

The fact that they must have liked your profile enough to warrant an interview should give you some confidence. R3 is always tough, and with a software background you have to stand out in the most competitive pool of applicants.

Answers to you Questions:

1) Should I improve my overall GMAT? Is the split in Quant and Verbal relevant? The feedback from ISB clearly says to improve the GMAT, please target at least 20 points higher.
2) If I transition to PM role before applying, will it improve my chances significantly? Based on this I want to decide if I should apply for round 2 after landing a role in PM.While it will definitely help get some meat for the reapplicant essay, the school will also be curious to know why a move into PGP so soon after getting into a new role and what are your career goals. If you can handle this well, then sure, the move will help.
3) For LOR, should I go with my Direct Manager whom I report to, or the Product Manager of my team? Considering I want to move to PM role, would a LOR from my PM improve my chances?The one who can comment best (in a qualitative way) on your work. If the PM does not know you well or has known you only for a very short time, this might not add value.
4) Is there anything else I can do to improve my profile? Haven't seen any mention of extracurricular or any other aspects that can help your case on diversity, see if you can talk about something that will help you stand out in the IT crowd.
5) Any tips for ReApplication Essay?focus on what is different this year and as I said earlier, talk about the larger career narrative

Best
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

LewsTherinTelamon wrote:
Hi folks,

I am Sai Shekhar,

Indian-Male-Engineer.

Work Experience:

Questions:

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Shivamjulka

Past scores are decent, the GMAT is lower for comfort though. It may not be a deal breaker in your case (the work ex could potentially compensate) but no harm in a retake if you are confident of improving it by at least another 20-30 points.
Work ex is the stand out strength and you just need to focus on bringing out your career progression and accomplishments well.
Most university extracurricular look dated and might not add much weight except the polling officer and could make for interesting learning/story.
Career goals, while clearly spelt out, need some more research/introspection as these are some of the most sought after jobs- what makes you a good candidate for these (qualitatively along with the obvious GMAT constraint) is something that needs to be focused on.

Best
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

Shivamjulka wrote:

Nationality-Indian
Age-28
X- 92.64%
XII-89.67%
Graduation-73.5%

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello gnibha25

Since most of your questions have been answered here, I'll ask you a question of my own.
What are your career goals, why MBA/PGP?
That is the only question to be answered to know whether you should apply in R1 (or at all) or not.

Best
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

gnibha25 wrote:
Hey all,

I hope you are doing well. Can you please evaluate my profile for an admission in isb Hyderabad? Appreciate you help.

10th - 9.8 CGPA - 2010
12th -78.8% - 2012
BTech in chemical engineering and minor in operational management from IIT ISM Dhanbad, batch of 2017

Gmat score - 630 ( have already given it twice and really tried getting a higher score so not sure if I have it in me to try once more)

1 year experience in India - digital marketing - business Analytics in India with mid - large business including Ola cabs

4 years of experience in Australia - digital marketing
1) digital marketing specialist for 1 year with a marketing agency
2) digital marketing specialist for 2 year with a big retail group across Australia and New Zealand and help them in-house some major projects delivering gain in there key KPI metrics
3) Promoted to performance marketing manager title for the last 1 year and have been handling all performance marketing for 24 au and Nz brands across all channels.

Currently having some great offers to work with upcoming startup’s / established companies in Australia with salary threshold above high income threshold of $158k.

Recently invited by the Australian government to apply for global talent visa to stay in Australia permanently.

Do you think I should apply for R1?

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Roxy2981

Too little info to go by and give a qualitative feedback.
Scores are good, but without knowing the finer nuances of your work ex (career progress, key achievements) it is tough to say what score might be enough for you. Aerospace will add diversity though.
Same story with extracurricular. 'Photography' is just a bullet point- what do you do here, what is the impact or what are the accomplishments worth talking about?
Lastly, what are your career goals? How clear and realistic are they? Do they showcase a leader with a clear vision of their career? Why PGP/MBA after working in aerospace?

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

Roxy2981 wrote:
Please let me know the chances of getting an isb admit and what my target GMAT score should be

10th CBSE - 10cgpa
12th state board - 97.1%
Btech in metallurgical engineering from NIT - 8.01 cgpa
MTech in metallurgical engineering from IIT kgp -9.10 cgpa
Work ex - 3+ years in aerospace industry
Awards- appreciation award by head of business vertical
Extracurricular - photography
Please review my profile

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello KKJ

Target GMAT is good, all the best in achieving it. Past scores are decent too and will make you a strong candidate from the academic perspective.
Work ex shows potential too and should have enough interesting stories to tell in the application.
Extracurricular also seem to add diversity (do not focus on all, especially the really old ones- but focus on the ones that you can represent as relevant to your overall journey and the b school application in general)
Career goals are organic, clear and realistic too.
Do not see any evident weakness in the profile and as long as you do a decent job on the application, you have a strong chance of receiving an interview invite.

Best
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

KKJ wrote:
Please evaluate my profile for ISB for CO'24:

GMAT Score: did not take yet, mocks:740 - 750 range

Educational Qualifications:

Graduation: B.Tech, Chemical Engg 7.9 CGPA in 2018 (NITW)
12th boards : Secured 78% from Science stream (College Topper)
10th : Secured 81% (international Education Board)

Work Experience:
Senior Assistant Manager - Operations and Product Development, Leading a team of 10 Junior Manager and 10 External service provider
4 Years of Work ex in one of the largest FMCG company in India

Extra Curricular & Positions held :
College Volleyball team Player
Have won 3 volleyball tournaments
Have played district level chess and have won inter branch level tournament
Class Representative during UG study
Have taken multiple positions in different clubs during UG study
Student Mentor
Have won wall painting competitions
Member of an NGO

Short term goals : MBA with specialization in consultancy in Operations and supply chain domain

Long term goals : Setup own consultancy firm
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Pumsidhu

Working in the Govt sector (or any other sector) is alright as long as you have a strong profile on the following 4 factors-
1. Academics (you check the box here with a decent GMAT)
2. Work ex (In fact, if anything, public sector ex helps the cause of diversity. Make sure to go into further details of how your career has progressed and what they key achievements are.)
3. Diversity (check the box here with the strong sports background)
4. Career goals (no mention of goals here, these need to be clear and realistic)

Best
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

Pumsidhu wrote:
Edu - bcom 3 years
Work ex - Inspector cooperative societies, govt of punjab. 2019-present
Eca/sports - national gold in roller hockey
And awarded grade B by punjab sports authority
Gmat - 730
Just an overview.. is my profile any good? Is working in govt sector any good if you want a very good school for mba

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  255   256   257   258   259  ...  307