Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38830 [465]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [149]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [55]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [5]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wol [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.

(A) it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some

(B) the wolf is estimated to have declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately

(C) the wolf has declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, some

(D) wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately

(E) wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 in 57 countries, some

“Once numbering in the millions worldwide” is a modifier that modifies the wolf/ wolves and hence must be placed right after the modifier. Eliminate A.

The non-underlined part of the sentence gives us a clue- the plural pronoun “them”. A plural pronoun will have a plural noun as its antecedent. Eliminate all options that use a singular noun- B and C.

Option D- wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
The adverbial modifier “with approximately” does not modify the preceding clause. Wolves have not declined with approximately 11,000….

Option E is correct- wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 in 57 countries, some
Some 11,000 of them… is an absolute modifier that further modifies the preceding clause.
Once numbering in the millions, wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 in 57 countries.
Further info- some11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wol [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some 11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.

(A) it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some

(B) the wolf is estimated to have declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately

(C) the wolf has declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, some

(D) wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately

(E) wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 in 57 countries, some

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that wolves once numbered in the millions worldwide, but now they have declined to an estimated 200,000 in 57 countries, and some 11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Pronouns + Modifiers + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• In a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.

A: The sentence formed by this answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the wolf" with the plural pronoun "them". Further, Option A incorrectly uses "Once numbering in the millions worldwide" to modify the placeholder pronoun "it", leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that wolves once numbered in the millions worldwide; please remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

B: The sentence formed by this answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the wolf" with the plural pronoun "them". Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "with approximately...Alaska", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: The sentence formed by this answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the wolf" with the plural pronoun "them". Further, Option C uses the phrase "declined to an estimate", leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that wolves have declined to an estimated number of 200,000 in 57 countries.

D: This answer choice uses the phrase "declined to an estimate", leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that wolves have declined to an estimated number of 200,000 in 57 countries. Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "with approximately...Alaska", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: Correct. The sentence formed by this answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "wolves" with the plural pronoun "them". Further, Option E correctly uses "Once numbering in the millions worldwide" to modify "wolves", conveying the intended meaning - that wolves once numbered in the millions worldwide. Additionally, Option E uses the phrase "declined to an estimated", conveying the intended meaning - that wolves have declined to an estimated number of 200,000 in 57 countries. Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
 Q48  V20 GMAT 2: 610  Q49  V23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:
Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some 11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.
A. it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some
B. the wolf is estimated to have declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
C. the wolf has declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, some
D. wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
E. wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 in 57 countries, some

Please Explain

OG Verbal 2017 New Question (Book Question: 299)

I have seen three and now four different usages of estimate. Not sure which one to use where

1) The snake is estimated to be 30 ft long.
2) The length of snake is estimated at 30 ft.
3) The snake is measured 30 ft, an early estimate (I am not sure if this is correct one)
4) Measuring snake's length gives me an estimate of 30 ft

Can somebody confirm how to write option - 3 correctly ?

South City
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [7]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
SouthCity wrote:
I have seen three and now four different usages of estimate. Not sure which one to use where

1) The snake is estimated to be 30 ft long.
2) The length of snake is estimated at 30 ft.
3) The snake is measured 30 ft, an early estimate (I am not sure if this is correct one)
4) Measuring snake's length gives me an estimate of 30 ft

Can somebody confirm how to write option - 3 correctly ?

South City

Dear South City,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

All four are perfectly correct and could appear on the GMAT as correct constructions. If it's helpful, here are some GMAT Idiom Flashcards. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
B. the wolf is estimated to have declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
D. wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately

Please Explain

OG Verbal 2017 New Question (Book Question: 299)

Dear AbdurRakib,

First, let look at what happens after the last comma. We have an absolute phrase: the form of an absolute phrase is [noun] + [noun modifier]. As the name suggests, the absolute phrase stands on its own: it provides information for the whole of the attached sentence with modifying any particular work, and its grammatical structure is independent of the rest of the sentence. After the comma, we get the correct absolute phrase
some 11,000 of them to be found . . . .
The noun phrase is "some 11,000 of them," and here, the noun modifier is the passive infinitive "to be found." The absolute phrase is elegant. Rhetorically, it is a spineless mealy-mouthed move to replace this elegant structure with an awkward prepositional phrase "with approximately 11,000 of them to be found . . ." Technically, this is grammatically correct, but its a bit awkward and wordy, and it looks like a craven misfit compared to the absolute phrase.

Incidentally, the use of "some" in this context is as a synonym for "approximately." Other examples:
I read that book some fifteen years ago.
He ate some eight pieces of chicken that night.

This usage appears frequently in sophisticated English.

Now, what comes before that second comma. The phrasing "declined to an estimate of 200,000" is awkward and clumsy: both (C) & (D) use this and should be eliminated because of it.

Before the first comma, we have a modifying phrase "once numbering in the millions worldwide," and this phrase needs to touch the noun it modifies. The indirect structure in (A) delays the target noun in an awkward way, so (A) is incorrect.

This leaves (B) & (E). Choice (B) is passive and indirect and wordy, and has that awful preposition after the final comma. By contrast, (E) is powerful and direct:
. . . wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 . . .
The estimation part is simply about the size of the number, the mathematical details of the sentence: that's not where the main action is, so "estimate" or "is estimated" is should not be the main verb. The main action that happened in the real world is that "wolves have declined." That was the main action, and the main verb in the sentence should reflect the main action in the real world.

Does all this make sense?

Thanks for the explanation Mike. It takes (to read) at least 2-3 times, minimum, to understand your post given it is laded with so many terms. I had a query: Could we eliminate options B & C on the basis that second part of the sentence uses them (plural) and first part uses wolf (singular). My POE between D and E was estimate of 2L vs estimated 2L. Is the above reasoning correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [5]
Given Kudos: 600
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

How I tried to solve this (please correct if I am wrong):

A. the wolf has declined to 200,000 --> not the wolf, but the wolf population has declined to 200,000 we are not addressing a specific wolf. Also the modifier "once numbering in the millions worldwide" must logically relate to wolf
B. Similar to A. I think the phrase wolf population would be correct here
C. Similar to A and D.
D. wolves seem correct because it addresses all wolfs. But to an estimate of 200,000 sounds awkward like if the wolves have declined to an estimate
E. Seems correct
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Mike. It takes (to read) at least 2-3 times, minimum, to understand your post given it is laded with so many terms. I had a query: Could we eliminate options B & C on the basis that second part of the sentence uses them (plural) and first part uses wolf (singular). My POE between D and E was estimate of 2L vs estimated 2L. Is the above reasoning correct?

Dear warriorguy,

As for your question about (B) & (C), I would say that I am not sure. You see, it's common in English to name an animal in the singular and mean the entire species, which implies a plural. I would say that this a shade of gray---not 100% right, but not wrong enough to be the sole justification for eliminating an answer.

I think it's important to understand how bad the "with approximately" structure is in (B) & (D). That's the real problem with those two.

The phrase from (D), "wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000," is not bad. The corresponding phrase in (E) is more elegant, but again, this slight difference would not provide the sole justification for eliminating (D).

My friend, I am going to recommend this blog article to you:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AK125 wrote:

How I tried to solve this (please correct if I am wrong):

A. the wolf has declined to 200,000 --> not the wolf, but the wolf population has declined to 200,000 we are not addressing a specific wolf. Also the modifier "once numbering in the millions worldwide" must logically relate to wolf
B. Similar to A. I think the phrase wolf population would be correct here
C. Similar to A and D.
D. wolves seem correct because it addresses all wolfs. But to an estimate of 200,000 sounds awkward like if the wolves have declined to an estimate
E. Seems correct

Dear AK125,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Unfortunately, my friend, there are some problems with your logic.

In English, it's 100% fine to use the singular name of an animal (with the definite article) to refer to the whole species: the panther, the eagle, the blue whale. In these cases, it's understood that we are not talking about an individual panther, an individual eagle, etc. Instead, we are speaking of the whole species, all the animals that fall under that biological heading. Thus, it is 100% idiomatically correct to say "it is estimated that the wolf has declined" meaning that the numbers of the entire wolf population have declined. Now, when we combine this with the numerical information and the plural pronoun in the latter part of the sentence, this is a bit unusual---a grammatical gray zone. Nevertheless, the singular use of the animal's name can represent the species as a whole.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
mh

don't get this one :(

I mean we can immediately eliminate A, B, and C

Wolf......... 11,000 of them

that should be clear!

For D) declined to an estimate of 200,000 is awkward

but for E) ....some 11,000 of them ??? this also sounds awkward to me :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Kudos