It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wol

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2687 [2], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wol [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (00:57) correct 49% (01:02) wrong based on 1232 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some 11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.

A. it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some
B. the wolf is estimated to have declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
C. the wolf has declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, some
D. wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
E. wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 in 57 countries, some

OG Verbal 2017 New Question (Book Question: 299)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2687 [2], given: 220

Expert Post
11 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8453 [11], given: 102

Re: Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wol [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:
Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some 11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.
B. the wolf is estimated to have declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately
D. wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately

Please Explain

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First, let look at what happens after the last comma. We have an absolute phrase: the form of an absolute phrase is [noun] + [noun modifier]. As the name suggests, the absolute phrase stands on its own: it provides information for the whole of the attached sentence with modifying any particular work, and its grammatical structure is independent of the rest of the sentence. After the comma, we get the correct absolute phrase
some 11,000 of them to be found . . . .
The noun phrase is "some 11,000 of them," and here, the noun modifier is the passive infinitive "to be found." The absolute phrase is elegant. Rhetorically, it is a spineless mealy-mouthed move to replace this elegant structure with an awkward prepositional phrase "with approximately 11,000 of them to be found . . ." Technically, this is grammatically correct, but its a bit awkward and wordy, and it looks like a craven misfit compared to the absolute phrase.

Incidentally, the use of "some" in this context is as a synonym for "approximately." Other examples:
I read that book some fifteen years ago.
He ate some eight pieces of chicken that night.

This usage appears frequently in sophisticated English.

Now, what comes before that second comma. The phrasing "declined to an estimate of 200,000" is awkward and clumsy: both (C) & (D) use this and should be eliminated because of it.

Before the first comma, we have a modifying phrase "once numbering in the millions worldwide," and this phrase needs to touch the noun it modifies. The indirect structure in (A) delays the target noun in an awkward way, so (A) is incorrect.

This leaves (B) & (E). Choice (B) is passive and indirect and wordy, and has that awful preposition after the final comma. By contrast, (E) is powerful and direct:
. . . wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 . . .
The estimation part is simply about the size of the number, the mathematical details of the sentence: that's not where the main action is, so "estimate" or "is estimated" is should not be the main verb. The main action that happened in the real world is that "wolves have declined." That was the main action, and the main verb in the sentence should reflect the main action in the real world.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8453 [11], given: 102

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16
Re: Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wol [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 21:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
agree with mike above.

Dand E seem the 2 contenders,

D talks -estimate of which is wrong
E -estimated <number>....(you estimate something) the correct choice

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 09:00
AbdurRakib wrote:

Please Explain

I have seen three and now four different usages of estimate. Not sure which one to use where

1) The snake is estimated to be 30 ft long.
2) The length of snake is estimated at 30 ft.
3) The snake is measured 30 ft, an early estimate (I am not sure if this is correct one)
4) Measuring snake's length gives me an estimate of 30 ft

Can somebody confirm how to write option - 3 correctly ?

South City

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8453 [0], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 11:32
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SouthCity wrote:
I have seen three and now four different usages of estimate. Not sure which one to use where

1) The snake is estimated to be 30 ft long.
2) The length of snake is estimated at 30 ft.
3) The snake is measured 30 ft, an early estimate (I am not sure if this is correct one)
4) Measuring snake's length gives me an estimate of 30 ft

Can somebody confirm how to write option - 3 correctly ?

South City

Dear South City,

All four are perfectly correct and could appear on the GMAT as correct constructions. If it's helpful, here are some GMAT Idiom Flashcards. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2016, 13:25
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

Please Explain

Dear AbdurRakib,

First, let look at what happens after the last comma. We have an absolute phrase: the form of an absolute phrase is [noun] + [noun modifier]. As the name suggests, the absolute phrase stands on its own: it provides information for the whole of the attached sentence with modifying any particular work, and its grammatical structure is independent of the rest of the sentence. After the comma, we get the correct absolute phrase
some 11,000 of them to be found . . . .
The noun phrase is "some 11,000 of them," and here, the noun modifier is the passive infinitive "to be found." The absolute phrase is elegant. Rhetorically, it is a spineless mealy-mouthed move to replace this elegant structure with an awkward prepositional phrase "with approximately 11,000 of them to be found . . ." Technically, this is grammatically correct, but its a bit awkward and wordy, and it looks like a craven misfit compared to the absolute phrase.

Incidentally, the use of "some" in this context is as a synonym for "approximately." Other examples:
I read that book some fifteen years ago.
He ate some eight pieces of chicken that night.

This usage appears frequently in sophisticated English.

Now, what comes before that second comma. The phrasing "declined to an estimate of 200,000" is awkward and clumsy: both (C) & (D) use this and should be eliminated because of it.

Before the first comma, we have a modifying phrase "once numbering in the millions worldwide," and this phrase needs to touch the noun it modifies. The indirect structure in (A) delays the target noun in an awkward way, so (A) is incorrect.

This leaves (B) & (E). Choice (B) is passive and indirect and wordy, and has that awful preposition after the final comma. By contrast, (E) is powerful and direct:
. . . wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000 . . .
The estimation part is simply about the size of the number, the mathematical details of the sentence: that's not where the main action is, so "estimate" or "is estimated" is should not be the main verb. The main action that happened in the real world is that "wolves have declined." That was the main action, and the main verb in the sentence should reflect the main action in the real world.

Thanks for the explanation Mike. It takes (to read) at least 2-3 times, minimum, to understand your post given it is laded with so many terms. I had a query: Could we eliminate options B & C on the basis that second part of the sentence uses them (plural) and first part uses wolf (singular). My POE between D and E was estimate of 2L vs estimated 2L. Is the above reasoning correct?

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 600

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS

How I tried to solve this (please correct if I am wrong):

A. the wolf has declined to 200,000 --> not the wolf, but the wolf population has declined to 200,000 we are not addressing a specific wolf. Also the modifier "once numbering in the millions worldwide" must logically relate to wolf
B. Similar to A. I think the phrase wolf population would be correct here
C. Similar to A and D.
D. wolves seem correct because it addresses all wolfs. But to an estimate of 200,000 sounds awkward like if the wolves have declined to an estimate
E. Seems correct

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 600

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 21:04
warriorguy wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Mike. It takes (to read) at least 2-3 times, minimum, to understand your post given it is laded with so many terms. I had a query: Could we eliminate options B & C on the basis that second part of the sentence uses them (plural) and first part uses wolf (singular). My POE between D and E was estimate of 2L vs estimated 2L. Is the above reasoning correct?

Dear warriorguy,

As for your question about (B) & (C), I would say that I am not sure. You see, it's common in English to name an animal in the singular and mean the entire species, which implies a plural. I would say that this a shade of gray---not 100% right, but not wrong enough to be the sole justification for eliminating an answer.

I think it's important to understand how bad the "with approximately" structure is in (B) & (D). That's the real problem with those two.

The phrase from (D), "wolves have declined to an estimate of 200,000," is not bad. The corresponding phrase in (E) is more elegant, but again, this slight difference would not provide the sole justification for eliminating (D).

My friend, I am going to recommend this blog article to you:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8453 [3], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AK125 wrote:

A. the wolf has declined to 200,000 --> not the wolf, but the wolf population has declined to 200,000 we are not addressing a specific wolf. Also the modifier "once numbering in the millions worldwide" must logically relate to wolf
C. Similar to A and D.
D. wolves seem correct because it addresses all wolfs. But to an estimate of 200,000 sounds awkward like if the wolves have declined to an estimate
E. Seems correct

Dear AK125,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Unfortunately, my friend, there are some problems with your logic.

In English, it's 100% fine to use the singular name of an animal (with the definite article) to refer to the whole species: the panther, the eagle, the blue whale. In these cases, it's understood that we are not talking about an individual panther, an individual eagle, etc. Instead, we are speaking of the whole species, all the animals that fall under that biological heading. Thus, it is 100% idiomatically correct to say "it is estimated that the wolf has declined" meaning that the numbers of the entire wolf population have declined. Now, when we combine this with the numerical information and the plural pronoun in the latter part of the sentence, this is a bit unusual---a grammatical gray zone. Nevertheless, the singular use of the animal's name can represent the species as a whole.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8453 [3], given: 102

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 21:24
Hello Mike ,

Can we eliminate A,B and C also because in non-underlined portion "them " is used. So that needs a plural "wolves" rather than "wolf"

Thanks for your explanations. I always refer to your blogs, those are big help :)

mikemcgarry wrote:
AK125 wrote:

C. Similar to A and D.
E. Seems correct

Dear AK125,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Unfortunately, my friend, there are some problems with your logic.

In English, it's 100% fine to use the singular name of an animal (with the definite article) to refer to the whole species: the panther, the eagle, the blue whale. In these cases, it's understood that we are not talking about an individual panther, an individual eagle, etc. Instead, we are speaking of the whole species, all the animals that fall under that biological heading. Thus, it is 100% idiomatically correct to say "it is estimated that the wolf has declined" meaning that the numbers of the entire wolf population have declined. Now, when we combine this with the numerical information and the plural pronoun in the latter part of the sentence, this is a bit unusual---a grammatical gray zone. Nevertheless, the singular use of the animal's name can represent the species as a whole.

When you are grateful - when you can see what you have - you unlock blessings to flow in your life

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 105

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 03:57

A,B,C rejected coz the non underlined portion uses "Them". E is better than D.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 08:09
[quote="AbdurRakib"]Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wolf has declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, some 11,000 of them to be found in the lower 48 United States and Alaska.
E. wolves have declined to an estimated 200,000

"with aproximately..." work grammatically as absolute phrase which modify preceding clause. but this modification is not logic. there is no relation between "has declined" and "with approximately" .

grammatically, "some 11000..." work as adjective modifying " an estimate..." this modification is logic.

so, "some... " is correct. and "with approximately..." is wrong.

hard point

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 08:15
AbdurRakib wrote:

Please Explain

this question has a problem
"numbering" take tense of "have diclined" so, numbering can not go with "once" which is used with past simple tense.

"have diiclined" show an action which finished in the past but is relevant to present.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 13:58
First split: Once number in the millions worldwide => should modify wolf/wolves => A out
Second split: non underlined portion contains them=> B, C out
Third split: decline to an estimated vs decline to an estimate of=> D has meaning error. Does not make sense to say decline at an estimate of 200000. Decline happens at a rate or decline results in a particular value, so E wins. Alternatively this alone can be used to arrive at E. All other options convey a different meaning:

B. the wolf is estimated to have declined to 200,000 in 57 countries, with approximately => means it is estimated(may be already) that they have declined to a fix number, doesnt make sense
C. the wolf has declined to an estimate of 200,000 in 57 countries, some=> same problem as D as mentioned above

If the post helps, kudos please.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 20

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 08:22
Estimate of number is unidiomatic.Moreover, with approximately- same as "some" concise. IMO its D.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 10:46
with approximately 11,000 of them, is ''approximately'' correct? Or should be approximate as adj.?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 21:53
mh

don't get this one :(

I mean we can immediately eliminate A, B, and C

Wolf......... 11,000 of them

that should be clear!

For D) declined to an estimate of 200,000 is awkward

but for E) ....some 11,000 of them ??? this also sounds awkward to me :(

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 05:47

--> with approximately is wordy. How can wolves have declined to an estimate ???!!!

--> correct.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 00:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The first point to notice in this question should be ---- "Once numbering in the millions worldwide" should touch the noun that it intendeds to modify and that noun must be plural --- this rules out all options but D and E. "Estimate of " in D is acting as a verb which is not needed , so the answer is E

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 03:07
E is Correct. Wolves is a proper subject for numbering and agrees with the later them. The decline is correctly said to be to a number, an estimated 200,000.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

Re: Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wol   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2017, 03:07

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Once numbering in the millions worldwide, it is estimated that the wol

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap