Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Oct 2018, 00:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:14) correct 50% (01:20) wrong based on 2177 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

(A) while in Germany it is just over 33 percent

(B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent

(C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

(D) whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany

(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 94: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Originally posted by sharadGmat on 25 Jun 2006, 02:20.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Oct 2018, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 13:06
Here’s another great example of the GMAT’s favorite SC concept: if you aren’t strict and literal with the meaning of these sentences, you’re toast. We said a lot about that in our beginners’ guide to SC, and it’s also been a theme in our QOTDs (all of which are available here).

Quote:

The pronoun “it” catches my eye right away. I guess it could refer to “nuclear power”, but that wouldn’t make sense: “in Germany nuclear power is just over 33 percent.” Huh? 33 percent of what?

Maybe “it” refers to “energy”? Nope: “in Germany energy is just over 33 percent.”

OK, what about “energy produced in France”? That’s even worse: “in Germany energy produced in France is just over 33 percent.”

(A) is out.

Quote:

Germany “uses just over 33 percent”… of what? If we look at this one strictly and literally, it makes no sense, either. (B) is gone, too.

Quote:
(C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

Ooh, now this is clear. “…nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany.” Fair enough.

(Are most of the bakeries nuclear-powered, too? Because German bakeries are some of the best in the world. I don’t know why more people don’t talk about this. The rest of the world talks about German beer, and German engineering, and German football. But the bakeries mostly get ignored. A couple of weeks ago, we engineered an extended layover in Munich just to eat pretzels. You think I’m joking, don’t you?)

Wait, where were we? I don't see any problems with (C), so let's keep it.

Quote:
(D) whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany

This is subtle and nasty. That phrase “33 percent of the energy” doesn’t contain a pronoun, but if you’re being strict and literal with it, you’ll have to ask: what does “the energy” mean? It seems to be referring back to “the energy” that was mentioned earlier in the sentence.

But that’s the problem: “the energy” seems to refer back to “the energy produced in France.” So now the sentence says “whereas just over 33 percent of the energy {produced in France} comes from nuclear power in Germany.” And that doesn’t make sense. Tricky! Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

This has similar problems as (A) and (B). “… where it ("energy"?) is just over 33 percent.” 33 percent of what? (E) is gone, and we’re left with (C).

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2013, 07:48
Mission2012 wrote:
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent.

Could you please help me understand structural parallelism in option C which is the correct answer. Though, I agree the option C is the best option as far as meaning is concerned, i am still not sure if both the clauses in option C are parallel.

Hi,

Look at the sentence structure below

 Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power,
     whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

The clauses in option C are indeed parallel.

The entities being compared are “energy produced in France” and “energy produced in Germany”.

Observe the verb-ed modifiers “produced in France” and “produced in Germany”.

They appropriately add relevant information to “energy” in both the clauses.

The clauses are essentially comparing relevant entities without any grammatical issues.

The sentence conveys the meaning unambiguously. (Unlike Option D, where the “energy” in the second element is ambiguous).

Therefore there are no parallelism issues in Option C.

However, “the energy” in the underlined portion of Option D refers back to the already mentioned energy in the option i.e. “energy produced in France”. This gives the incorrect meaning that “just over 33% of the energy produced in France comes from nuclear power in Germany.”

This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hence Option D is incorrect.

Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Krishna
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2011, 19:48
Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33%.
A) while in Germany it is just over 33%
B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33%
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany
D) whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%.

I have the following doubts with these questions:

a) In choice C, the subject in the first part of the comparison is "over 75 percent of the energy produced in France", while the subject in the second part is "nuclear power". How can these be parallel? Also, based on the explanations of other questions, the compared clauses should be parallel in structure, so the second clause should be something like "(whereas) just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany comes from nuclear power". As you can see, now both structures are similar and the things that are compared are logically parallel (percentage vs. percentage). I don't understand, how C can be correct.

If you see choice E, my analysis would be correct. There, the sentence compares "over 75 percent of the energy produced in France" vs. "energy from nuclear power in Germany": not parallel.

b) In choice E, the OE says that "it" is ambiguous, and Ron Purewal (MGMAT) mentions that "it" doesn't have an antecedent. But I think that "it" refers to "the energy from nuclear power in Germany". I think that there is no problem with "it". If you replace the pronoun for that noun, it works.

Please, your help with this problem.

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
General Discussion
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2009, 05:21
OA is C
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power,whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

tricky! huh
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 12:19
Sure, let's go over the options one by one.

A) Here 'it' is missing an antecedent, I'm sure you got this. 'It' logically should stand for something like the proportion of energy derived from nuclear power. We can't use the noun/phrase in the preceding clause because that refers to the energy produced in France.

B) This sentence is really bad - there is faulty parallelism ('compared to Germany' is not parallel to anything). Also the sentence says that Germany "uses" something, but France doesn't, again parallelism issues.

C) This option is correct

D) This option is ambiguous. A likely meaning for this sentence the way it's written is that there is energy we don't know where that comes from nuclear power in Germany. All this is telling us is that there's nuclear power in Germany that is used to produce some type of energy. What this sentence refers to by "the energy" could be any energy ANYWHERE. Note that the way this sentence is written doesn't necessarily mean that the energy is in Germany, which is what might be what's confusing you.

E) Again, "it" doesn't have a legitimate antecedent. Also there's another faulty comparison in this option. It's comparing percentage of energy to energy.

Hope this helps a bit.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 13:02
Just found this post interesting. I will try to reason why D is wrong.

It means that 33% of the energy produced in France comes from the nuclear power in Germany.

E.g I have a car; the car is red in color. "the car" refers to the same car in the previous sentence.

Now apply the same here -
"the" is determiner -> "the energy" about which we had spoken --> We had spoken about "the energy produced in France"

Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany

Gotcha ! Ohh so just over 33% the energy produced in France comes from nuclear power in Germany. That's crap.
D is OUT Change of Meaning

ariel wrote:
Sure, let's go over the options one by one.

A) Here 'it' is missing an antecedent, I'm sure you got this. 'It' logically should stand for something like the proportion of energy derived from nuclear power. We can't use the noun/phrase in the preceding clause because that refers to the energy produced in France.

B) This sentence is really bad - there is faulty parallelism ('compared to Germany' is not parallel to anything). Also the sentence says that Germany "uses" something, but France doesn't, again parallelism issues.

C) This option is correct

D) This option is ambiguous. A likely meaning for this sentence the way it's written is that there is energy we don't know where that comes from nuclear power in Germany. All this is telling us is that there's nuclear power in Germany that is used to produce some type of energy. What this sentence refers to by "the energy" could be any energy ANYWHERE. Note that the way this sentence is written doesn't necessarily mean that the energy is in Germany, which is what might be what's confusing you.

E) Again, "it" doesn't have a legitimate antecedent. Also there's another faulty comparison in this option. It's comparing percentage of energy to energy.

Hope this helps a bit.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2010, 10:55
Can we please discuss some examples involving multiple antecedents for projouns like "it".

Really confusing me now.

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2010, 03:09
papillon86 wrote:
Can we please discuss some examples involving multiple antecedents for projouns like "it".

Really confusing me now.

Thanks
papillon86 wrote:
Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33%.
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%

Hi papillon86,

The reason that you cannot use "it" is because you are not comparing something to itself.

A tip regarding comparisons!

To compare something to itself, use "it" or "they".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than they were yesterday.

To compare one thing to another, use "that" or "those".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than those of chair B.

Thus, in the problem above, you do not want to compare the amount of energy produced in France to itself. Instead, the sentence seeks to compare the percentage of energy produced by nuclear power in France to the percentage of energy produced by nuclear power in Germany.

Does that help at all?

Best,
Sarai
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2011, 21:38
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 20:04
kat1983 wrote:
what is wrong in choice D.

Choice D change the meaning of sentence. It means that 33% of the energy which refers to energy produced in France come from nuclear power in Germany. It seems illogical. Choice E is more concise.

The most important key for this problem is focus on the meaning of the sentence. Actually, before this time, I faced this sentence and choose correct one. In this time, I neglect it little bit to go out of track to choose choice D. Fortunately, my second thought lead me to remain on track.. If you stick to the meaning, you will keep on track.

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 01:51
A & E--There is no antecedent for it. "It" would have to be "the amount/proportion of energy derived from nuclear power," and this is never stated.
B--Germany uses just over 33% of what? Also, the use of "compared to Germany" is awkward, since the subject of the sentence is not "France" but "Over 75% of the energy."
D--This isn't ambiguous at all. It is flat-out stating that just over 33% of the energy produced in France comes from nuclear power in Germany. Imagine that we said "65% of the income in my household is from wages, whereas just over 20% of the income is from investments in real estate." Same structure, but you'd never question that the real estate income is part of my household income. The same thing goes for D. "In Germany" is modifying "nuclear power." If we want it to modify "energy" or "energy produced," we need to put it in the right place. " . . . whereas just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany comes from nuclear power."
C--This makes the same fix I just made above, but it swaps the order a bit. Since these are two complete clauses joined by "whereas," we do not need the order to be parallel. Each is a complete thought, and each is grammatically correct. We might not love this sentence, and we might think there is a more elegant way to express the idea, but there is nothing wrong with the grammar or the meaning, and that's more than we can say for the other choices! C is the winner.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 11:27
Concept Tested: Meaning, Clarity, Comparison
Difficulty level: High
Illustration:
This problem tests subtle differences of meaning and clarity, which appears when illogical things are compared.
In A, the pronoun “it” does not have a logical antecedent (which should be proportion of the energy which is derived
from nuclear power).

In B, a lot of things go wrong. “in France” is compared with “Germany” which is incorrect. Also B is not clear about whether Germany uses
33% of nuclear power of 33% of energy itself
D is clearly illogical and ambiguous. In D it is very unclear what the term “energy” suggests. It could be energy in
Germany or somewhere else that utilized 33% of German nuclear energy.

E has two errors. First, it compares a proportion of energy in France with energy derived from German nuclear power. E also uses “it” which lacks a logical antecedent.
C is correct.
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2012, 12:09

What is IT referring to ? Seems to be referring to the POWER when it should refer to the production of power..

How can we compare the energy to a nation ?

C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany

Although Long , it expresses the sentiments contained in the original passage while removing the grammatical errors which existed in A .. We are referring to the energy produced in Germany and what percentage of that comes from nuclear power... therefore in the absence of an equally correct but shorter or better worded sentence this is correct..

Doesn't make sense , energy comes from nuclear power in Germany , could mean something totally different .. We need to specify for example whether this is the 33% energy produced, consumed, energy exported, energy imported, energy wasted etc etc etc ..

E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%.

Still does not remove the ambiguity ....

Given the choices C is the best suited choice ..

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:25
ratinarace wrote:
A. while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
B. compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent
C. whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany
D. whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E. compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

C removes the pronoun ambiguity in the original sentence and maintains the proper comparison between energey produced in France and energy produced in Germany. The comparison is paramount but your first instinct on such a question should be to remove "it" because it is ambiguous. After that B (verb tense) and D (meaning) are incorrect (as stated above).

Hope this helps!
-Ron
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 17:04
This is a tricky one. You need to pay extra attention to MEANING.

We are talking about what PERCENT of energy comes from source X for France, and then the same thing for Germany.

So the beginning of the sentence correctly says "over 75% of energy in France comes from nuclear".

Now look at (D): "33% of the energy comes from [nuclear power in Germany]"

Is this really what we're trying to say?

What we really want to say is "33% of the energy in Germany comes from nuclear power"

Note, this is different from what (D) says. It's close, but the shuffling of the words changes the meaning. They purposely do that to trick you. So structurally it looks like it runs parallel, but MEANING-wise it's not correct. (C) doesn't look parallel, but it matches exactly what we are trying to say.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Oct 2013, 20:15
Here "it" has an ambiguous antecedent (what is just over 33%, energy or nuclear power) . Hence wrong.

compared to Germany is not a valid comparison. It seems that energy is compared to Germany.

This is correct and has a parallel structure.

This changes the meaning. Here it seems that "33 percent of energy" comes from "nuclear power in Germany". In other words, 33% of energy for some place where it will be used comes from the nuclear power in Germany. It has ambiguous meaning

(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent.
This also changes the meaning. This implies a comparison between the 75% of energy in France and energy from nuclear power in Germany. It is also not parallel

Hence C is correct.

Hope it helps :)

Originally posted by rockstar23 on 07 Oct 2013, 07:45.
Last edited by rockstar23 on 07 Oct 2013, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT Date: 06-24-2013
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 20:14
Could you please help me understand structural parallelism in option C which is the correct answer. Though, I agree the option C is the best option as far as meaning is concerned, i am still not sure if both the clauses in option C are parallel.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 08:28
When you compare unlike elements, you should use "compare to". For e.g. The famous statement by Shakespeare, "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" Here, a person is compared to a day. For such implied comparisons, you must use "compare to".

While comparing similar elements, you can use either "compare with" (preferred) or "compare to".

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.08

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 01:53
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
A. while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
B. compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent
C. whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany
D. whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E. compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

my doubts are related to Ellipsis.Please clarify.

meaning- The author says that over 75 percent of the total energy produced in France comes from the nuclear power, while only 33 percent of the total energy produced in Germany comes from nuclear power.

A) Incorrect- while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

1) According to me here IT is ambiguous.

while in Germany ( the energy produced from) it (nuclear power) is just over 33 percent.

while in Germany it(the energy) (produced from nuclear power) is just over 33 percent.

So it can refer to either the energy or nuclear power.

2)According to me there is ambiguity in comparison too.

while in Germany ( the energy produced from) it (nuclear power) is just over 33 percent.
this sentence doesn't convey the intended comparison, it doesn't say that 33 percent of the total energy produced in Germany.

while (the energy produced ) in Germany (from) it (nuclear power) is just over 33 percent.
This is the intended meaning.

Option B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent.

even this is ambiguous.

if we don't use ellipsis.
The energy produced in France is compared to Germany.(this is incorrect)

with ellipsis.
compared to ( the energy produced from nuclear power in ) Germany,which uses just over 33 percent.

Even this doesn't state the intended meaning but my point is that there are 2 comparisons possible.

DOUBT- is this all correct ?? or have i gone too far with Ellipsis. am i missing something.

And can we use that the comparison is illogical or incorrect because we didnt use ellipsis as i did in option B)

if we don't use ellipsis.
The energy produced in France is compared to Germany.(this is incorrect)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2014, 01:53

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 39 posts ] 

Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics