Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [11]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2902 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Recently Mary gave a birthday party for her daughter at which she [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kairoshan wrote:
Recently Mary gave a birthday party for her daughter at which she served both chocolate and strawberry ice cream. There were 8 boys who had chocolate ice cream, and nine girls who had strawberry. Everybody there had some ice cream, but nobody tried both. What is the maximum possible number of girls who had some chocolate ice cream?

(1) Exactly thirty children attended the party.

(2) Fewer than half the children had strawberry ice cream.

This doesn't make any logical sense as a DS question - a DS question cannot ask for the 'maximum number' of something, since it is impossible to know what kind of information would be sufficient to answer such a question. Simplifying matters, if I ask, for example,

What is the maximum possible number of stamps in Bill's collection?
1) Bill has fewer than 30 stamps in his collection.
2) Bill has an even number of stamps in his collection.

From Statement 1, we know the maximum possible is 29, but from Statements 1+2 together we know the maximum is 28. So is Statement 1 sufficient alone? Or do we need both? Or is the answer E? The question doesn't have a unique correct answer, and is completely illogical - you could never see such a question on the real GMAT. The same is true of the question in the original post above. I'd be curious to know the source of the original question, but it's best ignored.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Recently Mary gave a birthday party for her daughter at which she [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Yeh the Question is strange, however i found this today in MGMAT test. And naturally didnt do it right, so thought to check what other people think of such question.

Answer could be explained as follows, however i am not still very convinced or i should say that it is just a 'hidden trap' of gmat.

Attachment:
cs.JPG
cs.JPG [ 5.58 KiB | Viewed 20498 times ]

From statement 1- Total = 30 kids.

to maximize, girls eating choclate icecream, boys eating strawberry could be assumed!! to be 0, since it is not stated that there must be atleast one boy who eats strawberry icecream.

so the max girls eating choclate icecream will be - 30-8-9 = 13 girls.

st-2 doesnt provide info on boys choclate icecream.

-------------------------------------------------
the trap is that one may not assume that boys eating strawberry icecream could be 0, and think that st-1 may not be sufficient.

so in that case both statements would be required.

but the idea is to read the word 'maximum' in the Question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
What should be done in such a case?.

Is the answer - A , C or E?

Any Expert Opinion?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619230 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pkhats wrote:
What should be done in such a case?.

Is the answer - A , C or E?

Any Expert Opinion?

The OA for this question is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
This is how I think A is sufficient

Out of 30 children, to get the maximum value of girls eating chocolate ice-cream, we should choose minimum # of boys to eat strawberry ice-cream... (to be fair to the boys, I chose 1 strawberry ice-cream for them and got 12 girls eat chocolate ice-cream :) )...

(refer to the matrix picture posted by agdimple333)

let me know if my approach is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT Date: 09-07-2014
GRE 1: Q152 V150
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
1) Total children = 30
Let total girls be x.
Therefore total boys = 30-x

Now to get the max of Girls-Chocolatte (a) we have to maximize x.
To maximize x , Boys-Strawberry has to be zero.
Then 30-x=8
 X=22

Now a+9=22
 A=13
Thus statement 1 sufficient.
2) Insufficient : Since total is not known hence insufficient.
Attachments

Book1-page-001.jpg
Book1-page-001.jpg [ 48.66 KiB | Viewed 18321 times ]

Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
1) As we have 30 children and we know that 8 boys had chocolate and 9 girls had strawberry, we are left with 30-17=13. These 13 can be considered girls who had chocolate. Question is asking maximum possible girls who had chocolate thus we can assume these 13 as girls who had choco ice cream. No need to calculate anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
as we need maximum number of girls having chocolate ice cream then we are given 8 boys with chocolate ice cream so for maximum girls we have limit the number of boys to minimum that is out to 30 children rest 13 must be girls. Hence option A. hope this one helps.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Please forgive me if I am being dumb, if nobody tried both strawberry and chocolate, how are we going to have people who tried both of them??
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tmoni26 wrote:
Please forgive me if I am being dumb, if nobody tried both strawberry and chocolate, how are we going to have people who tried both of them??

We don't have any people who tried both and no solution has considered both.

As for the solution to this question, the question is not correct. It is a DS question - you need to find out whether the given data is sufficient to answer the question. So it is illogical to ask for a maximum or minimum value. The maximum or minimum values change with information. The more relevant information you provide, the more restricted the range becomes and hence the maximum changes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
This question is asked in a tricky way..the key is in the wording.. it says what is the max POSSIBLE (not necessarily actual) and since no kid had both kind of ice cream you can assume that the rest of the children are girl there for you only need to know the total so

(A) is sufficient.
(B) alone does not tell you anything about "how many" in term of concrete number

--- please hit "Kudos' if this explanation helped you understand
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31966 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dancinggeometry wrote:
Recently Mary gave a birthday party for her daughter at which she served both chocolate and strawberry ice cream. There were 8 boys who had chocolate ice cream, and nine girls who had strawberry. Everybody there had some ice cream, but nobody tried both. What is the maximum possible number of girls who had some chocolate ice cream?

The question would have answer as E.
Just because the source says the answer is A, we should not twist things to get A.

We are looking for the maximum number of girls who eat chocolate. For this we require to know the number of girls.
Both statements combined do not give us the value of girls, so answer has to be E in the way it is given.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Tmoni26 wrote:

We don't have any people who tried both and no solution has considered both.

As for the solution to this question, the question is not correct. It is a DS question - you need to find out whether the given data is sufficient to answer the question. So it is illogical to ask for a maximum or minimum value. The maximum or minimum values change with information. The more relevant information you provide, the more restricted the range becomes and hence the maximum changes.

HI,
Wanted a help here, the 13 is not known if they are girls or boys, then won't it be more logical to say that data is not sufficient to come up with the ans of "max no. of girls who ate chocolate" as it is plainly assuming that all the 13 is were girls. Actually I thought it would be better to choose e. as it is doing a big assuming and I am not sure if even to solve the "max/min" ques we are allowed to take that leap.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V21
Send PM
The answer is clearly E.

We need the total number of girls, which can be found with any of the below:-
1. No of girls
2. Total kids-Number of Boys
3. Total people who ate chocolate ice cream.

Option A only gives the total and nothing else, hence insufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
dancinggeometry wrote:

The answer should only be E.
The least information we need to answer the question is the number of boys and girls.
Using S1, how can we say that the max girls with choc ice-cream be 13, when we dont even know the no. of girls in the party!?

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts