Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Agree with all the above. If you have a good reason and ask for deferral, schools can give it to you --though some schools may be more lenient on this than others.

I will say though that rejecting a school and reapplying later on is not a death sentence. It is possible to get in again; you "simply" have to explain your situation in your application. Certainly possible.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Get into the school first then worry about what decision you need to make. You are eliminating options you do not have yet which does not make sense and if things work out you may get the deferal you are looking for along admission.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
In case of dilemmas with more than one option, I follow a basic principle: hold on to all the options (in your case, you may have two: job and admission) as long as you can, provided such an act doesn’t harm one or the other option.

What it means is wait for the result. If you don’t get in, your dilemma is automatically resolved. If you get in, hold on to both the options, which means asking for a deferral (I’m assuming you would prefer the job). I would recommend against rejecting the schools because you can’t foresee how things will pan out in your job. Just in case (even if the chance is 5%) you don’t like the place for whatever reason or some external factor plays a role and you decide to quit. In that case, you’ll have an option if you get a deferral.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. As a follow up, I was accepted to the school (HSW) but just started a new job recently. I still want to go to the school but would like to take an additional year at this job before going. How would you advise I go about asking for a deferral from the business school?
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
A big part of applying to top schools is reaffirming why right now is the ideal time. So when you ask for a deferral it kind of flies in the face of that. So deferrals are pretty tough to secure at HSW. If you're going to make the request see if you can have the conversation in-person or at least on the phone this adds a personal element to the decision. Position it as a once in a life time decision and reaffirm your commitment to pursuing an MBA at the school and how you will be able to offer more to the student community upon your eventual matriculation. Follow up your conversation with the above notes via email and a thank you for their consideration
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Winston123 wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. As a follow up, I was accepted to the school (HSW) but just started a new job recently. I still want to go to the school but would like to take an additional year at this job before going. How would you advise I go about asking for a deferral from the business school?

Hi Winston123, any update? what option worked for you? Am in the same dilemma.

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 4.00
Send PM
Reigniting this thread but Winston123 or Twesix any update on your scenarios? I am facing a similar dilemma. Did the school give you a deferral?
GMAT Club Bot