GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 22:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar

Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jan 2017, 11:14
I recently received offers to interview with two top MBA programs that I applied to in Round 1 (two of HSWC). One I interviewed with already and I am scheduled to interview with the other soon. However, after I had submitted my applications, I got an offer for a very good job opportunity that starts next month and I had to take the job.

I have not yet been accepted by these programs but I have extremely good stats and job experience so I think I am highly likely to get in.

The issue is that I don't think I'd be able to accept to attend this fall. What should I do? Should I wait to get an acceptance and then try to get them to defer it a year? How hard would that be? Also, if I were to get accepted and I rejected the offer and then reapplied later, would my chances for getting in be shot at that point? Would it be better to withdraw ahead of the acceptance and explain the situation over the phone? Should I intentionally bomb the interview?

I just don't want to be put in a position where I am unable to get into these schools later due to this situation. Any advice? I do want to keep the option open of applying to business school in the future and these are two of my top picks.

Edit: As a follow up, I was accepted to the school (HSW) but just started a new job recently. I still want to go to the school but would like to take an additional year at this job before going. How would you advise I go about asking for a deferral from the business school?

Originally posted by Winston123 on 08 Nov 2016, 14:42.
Last edited by Winston123 on 16 Jan 2017, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16929
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 15:38
1
Welcome to GMAT Club! Quite a question you have on an election night.

This happens quite often. I actually had a classmate who quit during the first semester because we got an offer he could not refuse and he did not need to do an MBA and waste 2 years and then search for a job. He got where he needed to be without it.

This is a good question for an admissions consultant who have run through this a few times. However, I do not think you will upset the school or annoy them in too many ways if you wait for the decision. Here is why:

1. You have put way too much work into the apps, and it would be painful not to see the results.
2. You may hate the job and would rather have this way out instead of starting from scratch next year or trying to get into R3. I think this is your biggest reason
3. Schools do give deferrals for good reasons. A job/opportunity could be that. Adcom is real people with hearts and brains (sometimes we think otherwise) but they are nice people. They will understand a sincere take if you present this to them clearly and honestly. They will work with you to help you out. Things change and they have a process/policy for this. You should get a few hours of a consultant time to figure out what that policy is for each of the schools and how to approach it to make sure you meet all of their conditions. Consultants would also love to work on this puzzle.
4. It is fun to put up admissions letters from HSWC on the wall (it is much harder to get into those places than graduate).

Let's see if we can get any people with a good deal of experience to comment on this.
StratusMBACounselor, FortunaAdmissionsMJ, or StratusMBACounselor or Squareoneprep or mbaMissionJenK - any suggestiosn?

Good Luck!
BB
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Personal MBA Coach Founder
User avatar
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1432
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 17:19
1
I recommend that you talk to the schools and explain your situation (once you get in). If you get in, you are better off asking for a deferral than not accepting the offer and re-applying. If you have a good reason and show passion for the school, you may be successful. I have seen it happen multiple times so certainly give it a shot. Good luck!

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Board of Directors
avatar
B
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1591
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 17:26
1
Agree with all the above. If you have a good reason and ask for deferral, schools can give it to you --though some schools may be more lenient on this than others.

I will say though that rejecting a school and reapplying later on is not a death sentence. It is possible to get in again; you "simply" have to explain your situation in your application. Certainly possible.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 19:33
Get into the school first then worry about what decision you need to make. You are eliminating options you do not have yet which does not make sense and if things work out you may get the deferal you are looking for along admission.
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 329
Schools: Wharton
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 02:22
In case of dilemmas with more than one option, I follow a basic principle: hold on to all the options (in your case, you may have two: job and admission) as long as you can, provided such an act doesn’t harm one or the other option.

What it means is wait for the result. If you don’t get in, your dilemma is automatically resolved. If you get in, hold on to both the options, which means asking for a deferral (I’m assuming you would prefer the job). I would recommend against rejecting the schools because you can’t foresee how things will pan out in your job. Just in case (even if the chance is 5%) you don’t like the place for whatever reason or some external factor plays a role and you decide to quit. In that case, you’ll have an option if you get a deferral.
_________________

Anil, MBA (Wharton)

Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries | Consulting

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 20:46
Thanks for the advice everyone. As a follow up, I was accepted to the school (HSW) but just started a new job recently. I still want to go to the school but would like to take an additional year at this job before going. How would you advise I go about asking for a deferral from the business school?
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 13:44
A big part of applying to top schools is reaffirming why right now is the ideal time. So when you ask for a deferral it kind of flies in the face of that. So deferrals are pretty tough to secure at HSW. If you're going to make the request see if you can have the conversation in-person or at least on the phone this adds a personal element to the decision. Position it as a once in a life time decision and reaffirm your commitment to pursuing an MBA at the school and how you will be able to offer more to the student community upon your eventual matriculation. Follow up your conversation with the above notes via email and a thank you for their consideration
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 08:27
Winston123 wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. As a follow up, I was accepted to the school (HSW) but just started a new job recently. I still want to go to the school but would like to take an additional year at this job before going. How would you advise I go about asking for a deferral from the business school?



Hi Winston123, any update? what option worked for you? Am in the same dilemma.

Regards,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 08:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rejecting Business Schools and then Reapplying

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.