Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [15]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Review: 730 (Q49,V41), IR 8.0, AWA 6.0 [#permalink]
Vaico wrote:
Sure kushwahanuj!

The error log is for OG 12. The columns mean:

1. Mi Respuesta: "My answer": Here you type your answer to the given question

2. Resultado: "Result": After typing your answer, this column tells you if your answer was right or wrong (Sí vs No)

3. Razón: "Reason ,or motive": In this column I tracked the reason for wrong answers (Careless, knowledge gap, etc.)

I only used the Gmat Prep and GMAT Club Tests CATs.

Regarding the use of the error log, I usually solved a bunch of problems (20 to 30) and after finishing them I typed my answers in the error log without looking at the official answers. Then I only checked the ones I had wrong or the ones I had guessed.

Hope it helps! Best,

Thank you sir :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hey Vaico,

Many Congratulations....... :-)

The error log is really good. It will be very useful to me.
Thank you so much for sharing it.

All the best with your applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hola Vaico! Primeros - enhorabuena! :) Gran score.

I did my test about an year ago & I am trying to get some ideas around applying to a school - have you started your prep for applying? I see Stanford on your schools, if I may ask for advice & guidance around the approach you'd recommend?

Again, thanks for sharing your story amigo. I'd love to some day soon come south and visit Mexico, beautiful country! :)

Regards,
Vishnu

Vaico wrote:
Hi GMAT candidates,

I took the GMAT last week and just received the official score report. I got a 730 (Q49,V41), IR 8.0, AWA 6.0. I read a lot of reviews during my prep and most of them were really helpful, and now it's time for me to post my GMAT tips. I'll focus on my story and then summarize my key takeaways:

Background/ Story:
I'm a South American living in Mexico, currently working in consulting. For the past year or so I've been staffed in really tough projects, working between 12-15 hours a day, so I didn't have too much time to study for the GMAT. Anyway, the first time I took the GMAT Prep was one year and a half ago. I spent a week reading the Manhattan GMAT Quant guides and scored a horrible 550. I was really disappointed because I usually score high in standardized tests... and gave up on my study plan and decided to procrastinate for the next year.

About half a year ago I took the GMAT Prep again, after reading a couple of Manhattan guides (again). The result was the same: 550. I started to get nervous because I wanted to apply in the first round for the 2015 top MBA programs.

Clearly, my method of just reading the Manhattan GMAT guides sucked. So I decided to change the scope of my study plan. 2 months after my second GMAT Prep failure I started studying 1 hour of Quant every morning and 1 hour of V at nigh (7:00 am and 11:00 pm), with the objective of finishing ALL of the OG's problems. This took a while, and I didn't finish all of the RC problems because I found them boring and my accuracy was pretty good. I tracked my progress in an Error Log that I created from several error logs I found here. (I'm attaching the error log: It might be helpful for some of you, just type your answer in each question and you can track your accuracy by question type in one of the labels.. It doesn't use macros.)

When I had done ~50% of all OG questions I took the GMAT Prep again (the one I had taken a year and a half ago), and scored 640! My new method was giving results! So I continued working on the OG questions.. but I got scared after reading some of bb's reviews in which he mentioned that the OG does not include a lot of +700 level questions, and that it would not be enough to get a +700 score. I emailed bunuel about this, and this was his answer:

Bunuel wrote:
Hi,

The difficulty of the Official Guide practice problems are from low to mid level. One cannot expect to hit a high score by just focusing on the OG until and unless you are already great at the Quant and Verbal tested.

I was a bit skeptical about that, as I was learning a lot with each new question the OG provided. Finally, after completing the OG guide I took the Gmat prep again, and scored a 700! I was very happy, but it was a still lower than my target (740). Now I was certain that bunuel was right, I needed more resources to get a higher score. I used 2 main resources to improve in my Verbal and Quant.

Gmat Club Tests
For Quant I paid the 70 USD fee to get a 3 month access to the GMAT Club Tests. These test are amazing! I'll summarize my opinion of this tool:
Pros: The toughest Q questions I've seen out there, If you do enough CATS (I did 15 Quant CATs with this tool) you start learning how to deal with almost any type of Quant problem... Second, the interface is almost identical to the actual GMAT. When I got to the real test I felt I had done it thousands of times before.
Cons: The algorithm is not that precise, it is very variable.. so don't get scared if you score 51 and the next day you score 26! I don't think the objective of this tool is to predict your Quant score, but rather simulate a real GMAT experience, but with much difficult questions.

OG, 700-800 series, a hundred +700 level SC questions
For verbal I mainly used the OG and downloaded a bunch of pdfs from this forum. I focused on the PDFs the last 2 weeks before the test.

My study plan the last 2 weeks before the test consisted of doing 1 (or 2) GMAT Club Test Quant CAT per day, and some 30-40 V problems. It is important to build up stamina, and I believe doing CATs is the only way to accomplish this.

For the IR I didn't study, as I scored 8 in every single GMAT Prep I took before the test.

Finally, for the AWA I used this blog:
tips00.blogspot.in/2012/08/how-to-score-that-perfect-60-on-gmat.html
I wrote 1 essay per day the 3 days before the GMAT. The key is to memorize an introduction and conclusion, and just spit out analogies/examples (Even though they are irrelevant with the topic at hand) to get to the 500 word count. I scored 6.0 with this strategy.

In conclusion, my key takeaways are:
* Practice, Practice, Practice
* Manhattan GMAT guides are great, but you have to do a lot of practice after reading specific topics
* Start with the OG guide to get a grip on all the basics
* Design a methodical study plan and don't skip on your study hours
* If you want to improve in Quant, The GMAT Club tests are great!
* Build up stamina by taking lots of CATs!

CAT history:
Gmat Prep 1 (Jan,2013): 550
Gmat Prep 2 (Apr, 2014): 550
Gmat Prep 1 (Aug, 2014): 640
Gmat Prep 2 (Sep, 2014): 700
Actual GMAT: 730

Gmat Club Quant Tests History:
Quant 15 51 Sun Sep 21, 2014 22:12 PM
Quant 14 34 Sun Sep 21, 2014 17:57 PM
Quant 13 35 Sat Sep 20, 2014 16:58 PM
Quant 12 46 Thu Sep 18, 2014 22:57 PM
Quant 11 46 Tue Sep 16, 2014 23:30 PM
Quant 10 32 Tue Sep 16, 2014 00:03 AM
Quant 9 22 Mon Sep 15, 2014 08:36 AM
Quant 8 48 Sun Sep 14, 2014 14:11 PM
Quant 7 42 Wed Sep 10, 2014 19:18 PM
Quant 6 42 Tue Sep 09, 2014 17:16 PM
Quant 5 42 Mon Sep 08, 2014 19:28 PM
Quant 4 51 Mon Sep 08, 2014 00:35 AM
Quant 3 28 Sat Sep 06, 2014 13:35 PM
Quant 2 48 Fri Sep 05, 2014 16:47 PM
Quant 1 26 Thu Sep 04, 2014 17:33 PM

Thanks a lot to Bunuel and bb for all the help and for creating this forum! Best of luck to all of you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Review: 730 (Q49,V41), IR 8.0, AWA 6.0 [#permalink]
vishnuns39620 wrote:
Hola Vaico! Primeros - enhorabuena! :) Gran score.

I did my test about an year ago & I am trying to get some ideas around applying to a school - have you started your prep for applying? I see Stanford on your schools, if I may ask for advice & guidance around the approach you'd recommend?

Again, thanks for sharing your story amigo. I'd love to some day soon come south and visit Mexico, beautiful country! :)

Regards,
Vishnu

Muchas gracias Vishnu!

First of all, I'm not sure if my approach is the best.. I know I could have done much better. But the general approach was:

1) I started by reviewing the application sections, and discarded the sections that I thought would be easy to fill a week before the deadline. Mistake #1, although these sections seem easy and straightforward, they take SEVERAL HOURS to fill, and some of the questions really help the adcom get a picture of your personality and background. I would start by filling all the application sections, and go back to the whole application a couple of weeks later, with fresh eyes.

2) After I filled the easiest application sections (Mistake #1), I started writing the essay. I wrote a first draft and after reading it, I erased it. Did a second draft, and erased it again. This happened 3 or 4 times. Mistake #2: For Stanford, take a while to think about what really matters most to you. Take a walk, a hike, anything that helps you really define what matters most to you, this is super important. After I defined what matters most to me, I started writing my drafts. I sent the drafts to Stanford alumni, and their comments and input made all the difference. The essay I uploaded in the application was version #15 of the essay.

My general advice is: Think of the application sections, essays and CV as an ongoing process. Work on each of them on a daily basis, because seeing each section with fresh eyes helps you identify mistakes, inconsistencies and improve general structure. Hope it helps and good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Review: 730 (Q49,V41), IR 8.0, AWA 6.0 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts