Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Cheryn wrote:
now one more silly doubt, when to use increase in and when to use increases in , might be very silly but suddenly this confusing me now over the usage of increases in sales.

Hi Cheryn, none of the options seems to be using increase in, and hence this is a non-issue here.

Even if it had been present, I would not use it to split between the options.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by increases in [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
santorasantu wrote:
I have a question regarding the usage of increases (singular). Why is increases used in the correct answer choice E?

Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

should'nt it be increase in sales? I'm not able to understand the usage of singular form. please help!
Increases is singular only if we use it as a verb.

1 This strategy increases the company's debt significantly. ← This is fine. Strategy is a singular noun, and it takes a singular verb (increases).
2 These strategies increase the company's debt significantly. ← If we switch to a plural subject (strategies), we'll need a plural verb (increase).

However, when used as a noun, increases is plural.

3 The increase in the company's debt is a sign of... ← Here the subject is increase (singular noun), and it needs a singular verb like is.
4 The increases in the company's debt are a sign of... ← Here the subject is increases (plural noun), and it needs a plural verb like are.

Thanks Arun, If I understand correctly, Rising Inventories(Subject), if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales (prep phrase), can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

Inside the prep phrase, increases is used as a noun and both increase and increases are correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi b2bt,
Thank you for the post. :)

You have correctly said that “in the above sentence, when refers to a situation”. However there is a change in meaning if ‘when’ is replaced by ‘if’.
Let’s take two simple examples to understand:
When Joey comes to India, Rahul will meet him.
If Joey comes to India, Rahul will meet him.

Is there a difference in the meaning of the above sentences?
Yes, there is. The first sentence tells us about a certain event in the future, while the second one poses a condition. From the first sentence we know that the event of Joey coming to India is certain. So, Rahul will get to meet Joey. However, there is no such certainty in the second sentence.

I thought that the conditional of the following form indicates certainty. (particular case in the future WITH certainty)

If PRESENT, then FUTURE.

Example: If Sophia EATS pizza tomorrow, then she WILL BECOME sick.

and, if you have uncertainty the relevant form is:

If HYPOTHETICAL SUBJUNCTIVE, then CONDITIONAL..

Example: If Sophia ATE pizza tomorrow, then she WOULD BECOME sick.

Please correct me, if I am wrong on this one.

egmat
ScottTargetTestPrep
GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
1. I do not quite understand what does corresponding describe- in all options?
According to me, it describes increase (which I dont think is a non though I don't know what kind of word is it- maybe verb?). If it describes increase by this logic, corresponding is incorrect and it should be an adverb not an adjective. Also 'sales' according to be is the noun which is in prep phrase so can an adjective refer to a noun in a prep phrase?

2. Grammatically, how is unaccompanied correspondingly incorrect, and correspondingly increased sales - only tell me gramatically irrespective of the rest of the sentence

3. Another thing I'm a little doubtful of is whether we should make decisions in GMAT basis use of 'unaccompanied' or 'not accompanied'. What if the sentence with 'not accompanied' had some other issue instead of the sentence with 'unaccompanied' so we would have to go with 'unaccompanied' sentence right?

egmat wrote:
b2bt wrote:
@egmat
While considering option B, I was able to identify that rising inventories needs a plural verb but as said by WaterFlowsUp is the use of "when" nonsensical?

(B) Rising inventories, when not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

According to me, in the above sentence, when refers to a situation (noun event) which is correct.
"possibly leads" is incorrect as "rising inventories" needs a plural verb.

Please explain,with the context of above question, the difference between "if" and "when", if any.

Hi b2bt,
Thank you for the post. :)

You have correctly said that “in the above sentence, when refers to a situation”. However there is a change in meaning if ‘when’ is replaced by ‘if’.
Let’s take two simple examples to understand:
When Joey comes to India, Rahul will meet him.
If Joey comes to India, Rahul will meet him.

Is there a difference in the meaning of the above sentences?
Yes, there is. The first sentence tells us about a certain event in the future, while the second one poses a condition. From the first sentence we know that the event of Joey coming to India is certain. So, Rahul will get to meet Joey. However, there is no such certainty in the second sentence.

Now, let’s look at option B:
• Rising inventories, when not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, possibly leads to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.

This sentence conveys the meaning that we are talking about some specific cases in which the rising inventories are not accompanied by something. However, from the context it seems that a condition and its result is presented by the sentence.
Also, there is one more error in option B as pointed out by you. So, the correct answer is option E.

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
ag153 wrote:
1. I do not quite understand what does corresponding describe- in all options?
According to me, it describes increase (which I dont think is a non though I don't know what kind of word is it- maybe verb?). If it describes increase by this logic, corresponding is incorrect and it should be an adverb not an adjective. Also 'sales' according to be is the noun which is in prep phrase so can an adjective refer to a noun in a prep phrase?

increases is used as a noun in option E.

By the way, another way to find this out is that both increases and sales are preceded by prepositions (by and in respectively). Hence, increases and sales are nouns (since prepositions are followed by nouns).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
What is the property of accompanied here. Is it a verb?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Rising inventories, when unaccompanied correspondingly by expansions in deals, can prompt creation reductions. To decide if the modifier "correspondingly" is put properly or not, read the sentence and ask yourself, what ought to correspondingly change.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Hi experts,

I got this one right but still in doubt!
Both when and if meanings make sense!
How to know which one is right?

How to approach such questions? the aren't any easier split to spot!
they are time taking!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts,
Will someone please explain, why "correspondingly increased sales" in D is incorrect, or is is just redundant and why "corresponding increases in sales" in E is correct.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts