Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.29
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Seeking profile analysis and B-schools suggestions [#permalink]
Hello bhaskarm

Any good B school will look at the admission factors mentioned here while evaluating your profile.
A combination of your Academics+Quality of Work Ex+Clarity & Fit of Career Goals+Diversity makes a complete profile.
You will need a spike in at least 3 out of these 4 factors to get an admission and admission.
Since the GMAT (measure of academics) does not have a spike (700 is is below average for most of the top 20 schools), you will need to present your Work Ex, Career Goals and Diversity very strongly in your written application.
If we further dissect your profile this is what we get-
1. Academics- Indians are usually expected to score high and your current score is below the average score of top 20 B schools. Target at least 730+. But that alone will not make or break your chances.
2. Quality of Work Ex- The strength of your work ex is not measure by just your role/years/industry but by your career progress, achievements and real business impact. It is virtually impossible to assess the depth of your work ex with the info given.
3. Diversity- Indian. Male. Tech. One of the biggest and most competitive pool of applicant. To showcase diversity you must have either a very high GMAT, stellar achievements at work or strong extracurricular activities. Since GMAT is low and work ex info is missing, your ECA will have to step up here. Activities during graduation do not carry much weight (unless something stellar), your experience at Art of Living or IEEE may potentially help. But again, a laundry list doesn't tell anything about your personal contribution and motivations here.
4. Career Goals- You have mentioned functions you are interested in but they seem too disconnected. The functions must tie with your past experience, transferable skills (in case you are planning to switch) and missing gaps that an MBA will fill. Your long term goals should show an absolute need for an MBA and must fit what the school can provide (otherwise you come out as an employment risk). You could add to your research by reading here
To conclude, as mentioned, you need a spike in 3 out of 4 factors to stand a fighting chance. Assess yourself where do you have spikes and where you do not.
Needless to say how you tie in all of the above in your written application will decide the outcome.
Should you have further questions, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

bhaskarm wrote:
I'm an MBA aspirant living in Pune, looking for Admissions Consultants in Pune or anywhere in India. My credentials:

GMAT: 700 Q49 V36 - Preparing for another attempt
Undergrad: BE in Electronics and Communication from an autonomous institute under VTU, Bangalore
GPA: 7.65 out of 10
Work Experience: 3 years in a tech role in the global marketing department of a financial services leader (Fortune #210)
Extra-curriculars: Student Leadership at various scales, represented up to 1000 students; IEEE Volunteering, including Chairman of student branch in the college; volunteered at Art of Living; many initiatives at workplace

Would you be able to suggest US B-schools (top 20) that can open doors for me in one or more of these post-MBA job opportunities in the US:
1. Management Consulting
2. Tech Product Management
3. Digital Marketing

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello bhaskarm

Any good B school will look at the admission factors mentioned here while evaluating your profile.
A combination of your Academics+Quality of Work Ex+Clarity & Fit of Career Goals+Diversity makes a complete profile.
You will need a spike in at least 3 out of these 4 factors to get an admission and admission.
Since the GMAT (measure of academics) does not have a spike (700 is is below average for most of the top 20 schools), you will need to present your Work Ex, Career Goals and Diversity very strongly in your written application.
1. Academics- Indians are usually expected to score high and your current score is below the average score of top 20 B schools. Target at least 730+. But that alone will not make or break your chances.
2. Quality of Work Ex- The strength of your work ex is not measure by just your role/years/industry but by your career progress, achievements and real business impact. It is virtually impossible to assess the depth of your work ex with the info given.
3. Diversity- Indian. Male. Tech. One of the biggest and most competitive pool of applicant. To showcase diversity you must have either a very high GMAT, stellar achievements at work or strong extracurricular activities. Since GMAT is low and work ex info is missing, your ECA will have to step up here. Activities during graduation do not carry much weight (unless something stellar), your experience at Art of Living or IEEE may potentially help. But again, a laundry list doesn't tell anything about your personal contribution and motivations here.
4. Career Goals- You have mentioned functions you are interested in but they seem too disconnected. The functions must tie with your past experience, transferable skills (in case you are planning to switch) and missing gaps that an MBA will fill. Your long term goals should show an absolute need for an MBA and must fit what the school can provide (otherwise you come out as an employment risk). You could add to your research by reading here
To conclude, as mentioned, you need a spike in 3 out of 4 factors to stand a fighting chance. Assess yourself where do you have spikes and where you do not.
Needless to say how you tie in all of the above in your written application will decide the outcome.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

bhaskarm wrote:
I'm an MBA aspirant living in Pune, looking for Admissions Consultants in Pune or anywhere in India. My credentials:

Undergrad: BE in Electronics and Communication from an autonomous institute under VTU, Bangalore
Work Experience: 3 years in a tech role in the global marketing department of a financial services leader (Fortune #210)
Extra-curriculars: Student Leadership at various scales, represented up to 1000 students; IEEE Volunteering, including Chairman of student branch in the college; volunteered at Art of Living; many initiatives at workplace

Would you be able to suggest US B-schools (top 20) that can open doors for me in one or more of these post-MBA job opportunities in the US:
1. Management Consulting
3. Digital Marketing

Hi MBAkarma. Thanks a lot for a detailed review of not so detailed profile data. I understand you cannot predict accurately using the limited information you provided. However, your comment about the post-MBA career goals is a surprise to me. Considering my background, would you please share your suggestions about post-MBA career goals that seem to be feasible for me?

VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello bhaskarm

My pleasure. On career goals bit I feel that at mentioning Digital Marketing and Management Consulting at the same time is disconnected. You should be looking at what goals align not just with your interests but also with your transferable skills in the past (which I'm not sure of going by the limited information). Tech Product Management looks realistic, but again, I'm basing my feedback on just the one line that you have written around your work ex (which has much more to it I'm sure). Also, with weak career goals and 700 GMAT- top 20 will be a real stretch, so be careful on that front.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

bhaskarm wrote:
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello bhaskarm

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

bhaskarm wrote:

1. Management Consulting
3. Digital Marketing

Hi MBAkarma. Thanks a lot for a detailed review of not so detailed profile data. I understand you cannot predict accurately using the limited information you provided. However, your comment about the post-MBA career goals is a surprise to me. Considering my background, would you please share your suggestions about post-MBA career goals that seem to be feasible for me?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello bhaskarm

My pleasure. On career goals bit I feel that at mentioning Digital Marketing and Management Consulting at the same time is disconnected. You should be looking at what goals align not just with your interests but also with your transferable skills in the past (which I'm not sure of going by the limited information). Tech Product Management looks realistic, but again, I'm basing my feedback on just the one line that you have written around your work ex (which has much more to it I'm sure). Also, with weak career goals and 700 GMAT- top 20 will be a real stretch, so be careful on that front.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

bhaskarm wrote:
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello bhaskarm

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

[quote="bhaskarm"]I'm an MBA aspirant living in Pune, looking for Admissions Consultants in Pune or anywhere in India. My credentials:

1. Management Consulting
3. Digital Marketing

[/quote]Thanks a lot MBAkarma for your honest suggestions. I will definitely work more on aligning my goals with my background. Moreover, I felt MBA can be a good opportunity to switch function and industry. So, aspiring for roles very different from my current one.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bhaskarm wrote:

1. Management Consulting
3. Digital Marketing

What could be the chance of I getting an interview call from Indian School of Business (ISB)? I have ISB also in my list other than the US B-schools.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I would suggest you to take experts assistance, who can guide you properly and can help you choose the right B-School.
To target top B-School you will need a competitive profile and enough knowledge about courses and scope for the same.
If you don't want to take consultants service for shortlisting B-Schools, try to contact alumni of top B-Schools on LinkedIn and ask them for advice/help.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
If You need a great Consulting Service from a person who has 10+ years of Work Ex, currently working with Jamboree as a senior editor and has client admits from Stanford, UC Berkeley, University of Toronto-Rotman, Cornell-Jhonson, Upenn Wharton, UBC, Columbia, UMich Ross, Schulik etc.... Visit Her LinkedIn and send her a message to get a profile evaluation. She charges relatively lower than other top-notch consultancies.

Read the recommendations on her LinkedIn Page
Find Gauri Khatri Senior Editor on Google and visit the LinkedIn Result.

You can call on +91-9315566182 to connect.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks PoojaRajput for the suggestion. I will get in touch with a professional consultant.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
sachin.srivastava139 wrote:
If You need a great Consulting Service from a person who has 10+ years of Work Ex, currently working with Jamboree as a senior editor and has client admits from Stanford, UC Berkeley, University of Toronto-Rotman, Cornell-Jhonson, Upenn Wharton, UBC, Columbia, UMich Ross, Schulik etc.... Visit Her LinkedIn and send her a message to get a profile evaluation. She charges relatively lower than other top-notch consultancies.

Read the recommendations on her LinkedIn Page
Find Gauri Khatri Senior Editor on Google and visit the LinkedIn Result.

You can call on +91-9315566182 to connect.
Thanks sachin.srivastava139. Can you please share the consulting fee of her?

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
She charges 50K for 5 MBA Schools.
65K for 7 MBA Schools
12K for 1 MBA School/ISB. Her ISB conversion rate is 99% provided the GMAT score is 680+
Call me on 9315566182 for more.

Did you visit her LinkedIn Page?
I can't post the LinkedIn page here. GMATClub prevents it.

Have a conversation with her, Read her recommendations on LinkedIn. Then decide whether or not to opt for the services she offer.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot