GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 12:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Some economists view the Kennedy-Johnson tax cut of 1964, which radica

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Some economists view the Kennedy-Johnson tax cut of 1964, which radica  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 05:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:05) correct 24% (01:33) wrong based on 271 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some economists view the Kennedy-Johnson tax cut of 1964, which radically reduced corporate and individual taxes, as the impetus for the substantial prosperity enjoyed by the United States in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the claim that the tax cut of 1964 was the impetus for economic prosperity?

(A) Modernized, more productive factories were built in the late 1960's as a result of the funds made available by the tax cut.
(B) Improved economic conditions in Western Europe and Japan resulted in substantially increased demand for United States manufactured goods in the late 1960's.
(C) The tax cut of 1964 contained regulations concerning tax shelters that prompted investors to transfer their savings to more economically productive investments.
(D) Personal income after taxes rose in the years following 1964.
(E) In the late 1960's, unemployment was relatively low compared with the early 1960's.
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
Re: Some economists view the Kennedy-Johnson tax cut of 1964, which radica  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 06:32
Tax cuts --> Reduced corporate and individual taxes --> Economic Prosperity

A, C and D state that tax cuts led to economic prosperity - Eliminate A, C and D

Between B and E:
(B) Improved economic conditions in Western Europe and Japan resulted in substantially increased demand for United States manufactured goods in the late 1960's. - Correct

(E) In the late 1960's, unemployment was relatively low compared with the early 1960's. - Incorrect - Relatively low unemployment may not result in substantial prosperity.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Some economists view the Kennedy-Johnson tax cut of 1964, which radica  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 06:44
E is irrelevant to the content of the passage. A,C,E directly strengthens the claim. so B is undoubtedly the answer
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 06:54
paidlukkha wrote:
Some economists view the Kennedy-Johnson tax cut of 1964, which radically reduced corporate and individual taxes, as the impetus for the substantial prosperity enjoyed by the United States in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the claim that the tax cut of 1964 was the impetus for economic prosperity?

(A) Modernized, more productive factories were built in the late 1960's as a result of the funds made available by the tax cut.
(B) Improved economic conditions in Western Europe and Japan resulted in substantially increased demand for United States manufactured goods in the late 1960's.
(C) The tax cut of 1964 contained regulations concerning tax shelters that prompted investors to transfer their savings to more economically productive investments.
(E) In the late 1960's, unemployment was relatively low compared with the early 1960's.

KJ tax cut (reduced corporate and individual taxes ) = impetus for prosperity in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

This is a weaken question and Power Score states that correct answer to a weaken question must : -

1. Attack the premises on which the argument rests
2. Correct answer will undermine the conclusion but it must not contradict the conclusion
3. Answers that attacks the assumption
4. Attack Necessary condition , showing that the necessary condition does not need to occur for sufficient condition to occur

Now check the options -

Strengthens the conclusion ; It suggests that the KJ tax cut led to availability of funds that resulted in building more production factories.

Suggests that KJ tax cut , but another factor led to the increased demand for United States manufactured goods leading to prosperity.

This option clearly attacks the premises on which the argument rests , hence this is the correct answer.

Strengthening the argument as in (A)

If tax rates are cut then post tax income is bound to rise , irrelevant....

Irrelevant , unemployment has no role here...

Hence correct answer must be (B) :-D :lol:

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 09:58
Vyshak vishnu440 Abhishek009
since this is a weaken question, I can get some outside info or understanding.
My contenders were B & E, but in an ideal situation, if unemployment is low, economy prospers.

What am I missing?
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 10:11
paidlukkha wrote:
My contenders were B & E, but in an ideal situation, if unemployment is low, economy prospers.

What am I missing?

Happy to respond....

Option (E) states -

But the stimulus talks about prosperity in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Option (E) doesn't consider the condition in early 1970's.

However if you neglect it and consider option (E) critically then the sequence can be something like this -

KJ tax cut (reduced corporate and individual taxes ) ==> Reduced Unemployment ==> Impetus for prosperity in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

This in a way I feel option (E) strengthens the argument stating that the Tax cuts enabled corporations to open the doors for employment and workers and reduced taxes coupled with reduced individual taxes resulted in economic prosperity in the country...

Hence IMHO (B) :lol:

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 10:22
paidlukkha wrote:

What am I missing?

Hi,

Your view is that tax cuts did not lead to economic prosperity, rather low unemployment led to economic prosperity.

There is a lot of ambiguity around E. We don't know how exactly unemployment influences economic prosperity.

Let's assume a situation:
In early 1960's: unemployment = 100; Employed = 900; Salary per employee = 1000 --> Prosperity = Spending power = 900,000
In late 1960's: unemployment = 10; Employed = 990; Salary per employee = 100 --> Prosperity = Spending power = 99,000

As you can see low unemployment did not result in substantial prosperity.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 11:34
paidlukkha wrote:

Conclusion- Tax cut was the reason for substantial prosperity enjoyed by USA.

We have to weaken the conclusion either by attacking cause a effect or by showing another reason for the prosperity.

(A) Modernized, more productive factories were built in the late 1960's as a result of the funds made available by the tax cut. Because of tax cuts, productive factories were built. Doesn't weaken that tax cut was not the reason for prosperity.
(B) Improved economic conditions in Western Europe and Japan resulted in substantially increased demand for United States manufactured goods in the late 1960's. It gives an alternative reason that increased demand for USA manufactured products increased in Europe and Japan. Due to the increased demand consumption of USA products might have increased, resulting in prosperity.
(C) The tax cut of 1964 contained regulations concerning tax shelters that prompted investors to transfer their savings to more economically productive investments. Ok, but it doesn't provide answer to the question if tax cut was the reason for prosperity.
(D) Personal income after taxes rose in the years following 1964. So what?
(E) In the late 1960's, unemployment was relatively low compared with the early 1960's. Ok, so prosperity incresed due to lowered income tax?

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.26
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 05:28
Conclusion: Tax cuts--->increase in prosperity.
This is a cause-effect
Prephrasing answer choices: may be something other than tax cuts caused prosperity.

indirectly stengthening

Independent of taxes. sounds good.

(C) The tax cut of 1964 contained regulations concerning tax shelters that prompted investors to transfer their savings to more economically productive INVESTMENTS.

tax cut regulations->more investments. again partial strengthener

related to taxes.

related to lower taxes(again strengthening)

Out of scope

"Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth."-Rumi

Consider hitting on kudos button for a sec, if this post helps you.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 09:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Some economists view the Kennedy-Johnson tax cut of 1964, which radica &nbs [#permalink] 01 Nov 2018, 09:30

Some economists view the Kennedy-Johnson tax cut of 1964, which radica

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap