Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2444 [20]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display patrons [#permalink]
Bookmarks
IMO C.

If A then B: A- Alcohol reminds people of leisure activity and they relax. B- They eat more.
If Not A then Not B: NOT A - Alcohol reminds people of restriction thus, making then uneasy NOT B- They eat less.

Thus, it takes other possibility out of equation and strengthens the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display patrons [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO: C

Option (A)
"Patrons of bars who sit facing the alcohol are more likely to order food than those who do not."

My understanding about this argument as below:
A: Looking alcohol bottles
B: Feeling of Leisure activity
C: Eat too much in relaxed manner.

Premises: A->B, B ->C,
Conclusion: A->C
Option(A) tells people who look at alcohol order more food. It doesn't tell whether people eat too or not ? So, It can't be answer.

Option (C)

"Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than when it is not."

When Alcohol is displayed,
Argument: People who drink look at alcohol bottles, feel relaxed and eat too much.
Option (C): People who don't drink, eat less when alcohol is displayed than when it is not displayed.

It means, Display of alcohol has made an effect over the minds of people who drink. So, This option strengthens this given argument.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
gmatbull wrote:
Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display patrons are more likely to eat more food, even if
they don’t purchase alcohol. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing alcohol makes patrons more likely to
eat because the presence of alcohol reminds people that they are participating in leisure activities and they
relax their behavior accordingly.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?

A: Patrons of bars who sit facing the alcohol are more likely to order food than those who do not.
B: In half of the cases studied, the patrons who ate more did not order alcohol
C: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than
when it is not.
D: Generally, those who consume alcohol during dinner leave larger tips than those who do not.
E: If an alcoholic beverage is prominently displayed within a restaurant, sales of that beverage will increase

Source
Grockit

OA to follow

I agree that its cause and effect reasonong question but i cant understand why people are referring C as correct answer choice.

C: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than when it is not.<<It says people who restrict their alcohol intake
its no where discussed in the argument, the argument lays emphasis on the display of the alcohol and not its consumption...I my opinion its a trap...

Its a tough pick between A and B

B: In half of the cases studied, the patrons who ate more did not order alcohol<< States they did not order alcohol, they felt as if they were participating in leisure activities just by looking at the display and hence ate more food>> Biggest problem with this option it leaves a gap for the other 50% of people. Hence felt to reject the answer...............

I would like to go with A, though ordering the food doesn't mean eating the food.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Jones '15
Send PM
Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display patrons are more likely to eat more food, even if
they don’t purchase alcohol. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing alcohol makes patrons more likely to
eat because the presence of alcohol reminds people that they are participating in leisure activities and they
relax their behavior accordingly.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?

A: Patrons of bars who sit facing the alcohol are more likely to order food than those who do not.
B: In half of the cases studied, the patrons who ate more did not order alcohol
C: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than
when it is not.
D: Generally, those who consume alcohol during dinner leave larger tips than those who do not.
E: If an alcoholic beverage is prominently displayed within a restaurant, sales of that beverage will increase

IMO, it is A.

Also ordering food is to eat it. As with the other quoted example tipping more is different than paying more.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi nanishora, Archit143
For example, you entered into the restaurant with your kids. Whatever you order, do you eat everything ? No. You may order it for your family. So, Ordering food is different than eating (as per GMAT also). If you have studied OG 12, you may remember a similar assumption question below.

Quote:
Homeowners aged 40 to 50 are more likely to purchase ice cream and are more likely to purchase it in larger amounts than are members of any other demographic group. The popular belief that teenagers eat more ice cream than adults must, therefore, be false.
The argument is flawed primarily because the author

(A) fails to distinguish between purchasing and consuming.
(B) does not supply information about homeowners in age groups other than 40 to 50.
(C) depends on popular belief rather than on documented research findings.
(D) does not specify the precise amount of ice cream purchased by any demographic group.
(E) discusses ice cream rather than more nutritious and healthful foods.

If you understand, answer to above question is A, Similar logic should work in given question. That is why A can not be answer here :)

Study is carried out with conditions that 1) people drink alcohol 2) Alcohol is displayed and people are able to view it. Study can be strengthened if we prove outcome is false when any of the conditions is not present. For example, When people sitting in the restaurant do not drink, would they feel themselves in leisure? would they eat more. Here we are strengthening that people are eating more only after looking at the alcohol and their sense of feeling after looking at it.

About option (B) In half of the outcomes falsify the result, so it doesn't help to prove anything. It an option to confuse us :wink:
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
umeshpatil wrote:
IMO: C

Option (A)
"Patrons of bars who sit facing the alcohol are more likely to order food than those who do not."

My understanding about this argument as below:
A: Looking alcohol bottles
B: Feeling of Leisure activity
C: Eat too much in relaxed manner.

Premises: A->B, B ->C,
Conclusion: A->C
Option(A) tells people who look at alcohol order more food. It doesn't tell whether people eat too or not ? So, It can't be answer.

Option (C)

"Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than when it is not."

When Alcohol is displayed,
Argument: People who drink look at alcohol bottles, feel relaxed and eat too much.
Option (C): People who don't drink, eat less when alcohol is displayed than when it is not displayed.

It means, Display of alcohol has made an effect over the minds of people who drink. So, This option strengthens this given argument.

May be you are correct but terming those who have deliberately restricted as non drinkers is incorrect as deliberate means something which is done consciously. The whole option can also be re written as "People who restrict their drinking habit eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed" we have to strengthen that when drinkers see the alcohol bottles they fyl relaxed and eat more but option C states when People who deliberately restrict their drinking (who are drinkers) eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed, its contradictory they should have eaten more as they after seeing the bottles they will feel restrict.

A non drinker will not deliberately restrict its drinking as he is a non drinker. There is no need to restrict since he does not drinks.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
May be you are correct but terming those who have deliberately restricted as non drinkers is incorrect as deliberate means something which is done consciously. The whole option can also be re written as "People who restrict their drinking habit eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed" we have to strengthen that when drinkers see the alcohol bottles they fyl relaxed and eat more but option C states when People who deliberately restrict their drinking (who are drinkers) eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed, its contradictory they should have eaten more as they after seeing the bottles they will feel restrict.

A non drinker will not deliberately restrict its drinking as he is a non drinker. There is no need to restrict since he does not drinks.....

Archit,
+1 Kudos. Framing of it may be wrong. :x I wrote it such because I am non-drinker and restrict drinking along with my friends :)
At the end, individual framing is always different. So the understanding the argument should be the prime motive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I chose A.

B says 1/2 who ordered alcohol ate more, but 1/2 who didn't ate more as well. This doesn't help us at all.

for C, mahendru1992 is correct. In the passage it states alcohol being prominently displayed makes people eat more, but in C it says the opposite-- that while alcohol was prominently displayed, patrons ate less.

D and E are out of scope
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos