It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed thr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed thr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 22:23
amatya wrote:
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
(B) as did those of
(C) as they have in
(D) like in
(E) like those of

Press Kudos if you like the post

i like this question. I will give you an explanation. give me kudos, if you are satisfied/

grammatically, "as" is used to compare 2 actions and "like" is used to compare 2 nouns. but meaningfully, "as" is used to show that two actions is done in the same way and "like" is used to show that two noun do the same action. it is clear that "as" and "like" show two different meaning relation.

in b, we do not want to show that two actions is done in the same way. we do not want to say that "thai village craft" have developed in the same way as other crafts. we want to say two kind of craft are similar in that they develop through a priciple.

moreover, in B, the verb tense "did" is not good here. we do not want to say that other craft used to develop through a principle.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed thr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 02:10
sayantanc2k wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,
I reviewed this question again, and had same "did" problem here, i genuinely want your further explain.
I had a correct sentence from MANATTAN SC on Page 100.
MANHATTAN SC wrote:
As her brother DID, Ava aced the test.

there is no antecedent verb before "DID",
Did i miss something that "Did" in this context is used to replace an antecedent verb ?

and another question is should helping verb and antecedent verb be in same form ?
I have a correct sentence from GMATPrep
GMATPrep wrote:
Since 1990 the global economy HAS GROWN more than it DID during the 10000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

while I had a couple of sentences from MANHATTAN SC on Page 202
MANHATTAN SC wrote:
wrong: I have never seen an aardvark, but last year my father DID

Right: I have never seen an aardvark, but last year my father SAW.

it confused me a lot.

waiting for your reply
thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Your first query:

Ideally "as did those of other cultures" should have been placed before or after the compared clause, not in between.

As did those of other cultures, Thai village crafts have developed.... would be better.

However this example still has the tense mix problem as highlighted in your second query. As mentioned in your example " Since 1990 the global economy...", GMAT seems to accept this tense mix issue.

can you please explain all the answer choices why they are wrong?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed thr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 02:21
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
--> wrong comparison.

(B) as did those of
--> no reason to use past tense.

(C) as they have in
--> "they" is ambiguous.

(D) like in
--> wrong comparison

(E) like those of
--> correct.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 02:02
The long sentence can be cut short and written as :

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through X and incorporate Y.

or even shorter

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have XYZ.

Now as other experts have mentioned, the comparison is "Thai crafts Vs Crafts of Other Cultures" because it is illogical to compare crafts with cultures.

So, (E) like those of

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 22:04
The author is trying to compare crafts from Thai village with crafts from other cultures. Hence the only answer that compares crafts with other crafts is E

Thai village crafts, like those(crafts) of other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 42

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 02:29
This is a comparison question, in which we need to logically compare noun "crafts" to noun "crafts" of other cultures or "those" of other cultures, in this case, "those" is referring to cultures of other villages.

Hence, Answer is E

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 199

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 08:22
Im sorry to ask an irrelevant question like this, but can anybody explain for me the grammar used in this part of the sentence : " that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills" . why does the word "follows" got the "s" and also the "fashioned using" part. Thanks a lot

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 03:43
Can someone please explain why option C is incorrect here?

I marked E but was a bit confused between C and E. I thought 'Thai village crafts have developed' could be parallel to 'as they (crafts) have (developed - omitted for ellipsis effect) in'.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 57

Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed thr   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2017, 03:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed thr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap