Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 16:59 It is currently 03 May 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4696 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30847 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30847 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8816 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through [#permalink]
Bookmarks
amatya wrote:
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
(B) as did those of
(C) as they have in
(D) like in
(E) like those of

In option C, "they" refers to Thai Village crafts and thus it is illogical since Thai village crafts have not developed in other cultures.
1. In "Thai village crafts", Thai and Village are modifiers(adjectives) that modify crafts, but when we use "they" as in option C, "they" refers to the entire phrase "Thai village crafts" and CANNOT refer only to Crafts

2.Whereas in option E, "those" acts as a pronoun and refers ONLY to crafts?
Thai village crafts = village crafts of Thai
I can understand that those can refer ONLY to crafts if we used village crafts of THAI, but I wasn't very sure in the current format-"Thai village crafts"

-Like the poetry of Bruce Willis, that of Chuck Norris is flowery and pretty. -- here that refers to poetry
-Like Bruce Willis' poetry, that of Chuck Norris is flowery and pretty. -- here that refers to poetry

I understand that the term "that" in above examples of Bruce Willis refers to poetry, but wasn't very sure about Thai village crafts.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , ChiranjeevSingh , RonPurewal , VeritasPrepBrian , other experts -please enlighten
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Aditya

If you say that the noun 'crafts will become a compound when you attach an adjective to the term, then you are getting confused that the "Thai village," is another noun. However, please note that its part of speech is here an adjective. Like when we say "oil price," don't mistake that there are two nouns such as oil and price. Oil is an adjective here. 'The Thai village crafts' is not compound but at best, it is a plural noun.
Please revisit the definition of a compound noun and verify. Secondly, if the Thai village crafts is a compound noun, where is the co-coordinating conjunction between them? You cannot have a compound noun without the use of coordinating conjunction.
Secondly, having already said that 'those' refers to the crafts, you should not again unnecessarily change it to 'Thai village crafts."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Kudos
amatya wrote:
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
(B) as did those of
(C) as they have in
(D) like in
(E) like those of

daagh GMATNinja chetan2u EMPOWERgmatVerbal
VeritasKarishma
Please explain my doubts.I know m missing something very feeble but still i want to make things clear.

1)
A)

we can write it as:
As it is the case with other cultures, thai village crafts have developed..........

so where is comparison becoming illogical?
means how cultures are being compared to craft ,i am not able to get.
does not it is the case stand for action of development ?

B)ok here did is wrong
but if had been
Thai village crafts, as have those of other cultures[so as crafts of others cultures have developed,thai village crafts have deloped], have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

will it be correct?

i read in explanation for above sentence to be correct,
have developed of main clause should come first.
meaning
Thai village crafts have developed, as have those of other cultures[so as crafts of others cultures have developed,thai village crafts have developed], through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

can some one explain me this logic?

C)Thai village crafts, as they have in, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

ok here they refers to thai village craft
so how it is wrong. thai village craft may be something like sufi music which may developed through same way in all cultures.
also
suppose they refers only to crafts
will it make sense then?

Thai village crafts, as crafts have developed in other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

or here also we need to main verb-have developed first .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
lakshya14 wrote:
In (E) the antecedent for "those of" is "Thai village crafts" which is not correct, since its a whole world and we can't take just "village crafts" from it?

AndrewN

lakshya14, see if this helps while you wait for Andrew's reply. :)

I think your point is very contextual. We don't have a better option here and pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule. This option is much, much clearer than the other options. Could this be made better? I don't know, probably? To me, the meaning comes out pretty clearly and it makes sense for those to refer back to village crafts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Rajasthan village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed throu [#permalink]
Kudos
Rajasthan village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills.

A. as with : Incorrect. crafts are wrongly compared to other cultures. the comparison is between rajasthan crafts and crafts of other cultures.
B. as did those of : Incorrect. 'did' displays a wrong meaning. had it been 'as have those of other cultures', this option would have been okay.
C. as they have in : Incorrect. 'they' don't introduce a new entity. 'that' and 'those' do.
D. like in : Incorrect. 'like' is a preposition and a preposition cannot be followed by a preposition phrase.
E. like those of : Correct. The comparison is correct here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I wanted to understand the usage of 'as' vs 'like'

Manhattan SC books says like cannot be used if it follows a prepositional phrase/clause. So here wouldn't 'as' be a better usage? What's wrong with 'C' ?

chetan2u wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
amatya wrote:

(A) as with
(B) as did those of
(C) as they have in
(D) like in
(E) like those of

Press Kudos if you like the post

Can someone explain why 'D' is incorrect, and what is referrant for those in option 'E'

Hi,
sudhirmadaan and smartguy595,

What are we comparing -- we are comparing crafts of thai village with crafts of other culture..

what is happening in D..

Thai village crafts, like in other cultures, have developed through the principle ..
Errors--
1) the comparison is not even valid..
like is wrong here, "in other culture" is NOT noun and even if the comparison was correct , AS would be used ..
2) say the comparison is valid, which actually is not..
what does the sentence read-
Thai village crafts, like Thai village crafts in other cultures, have developed through the principle ..

Illogical even if take the sentence is correct grammatically
So D is out both grammatically and meaning wise..

How does E rectify it>

Thai village crafts, like those of other cultures, have developed through the principle ..
what is thai village crafts - crafts of thai village..
so those replaces CRAFTS and is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Im sorry to ask an irrelevant question like this, but can anybody explain for me the grammar used in this part of the sentence : " that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills" . why does the word "follows" got the "s" and also the "fashioned using" part. Thanks a lot
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
Send PM
Can someone please explain why option C is incorrect here?

I marked E but was a bit confused between C and E. I thought 'Thai village crafts have developed' could be parallel to 'as they (crafts) have (developed - omitted for ellipsis effect) in'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
GMATNinja
Im sorry but i still have difficulty with comparisons even after watching your videos. kindly help.
Now my first choice is Option D . Also option E uses those of which is a clause following like which is incorrect. Kindly help. thank you
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2949 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Yeah really good question. I'd read it this way - it's not as much (at least to me) about the difference between "they" and "those" as pronouns, but more that (E) (and also (B)) add the word "of." And taken together, "those of" we know is a possessive construction. *That* is what would trigger me to go back and look for the possessive "Thai village crafts" and make sure that I'm matching possessive to possessive (as opposed to carrying the entire construction over to "they.")

One thing that's worked really well for me and for students I've worked with is letting the answer choices alert you to potential errors and lack-of-clarity issues. In a vacuum I don't know that I'd initially see a problem with "they"...but as soon as I see "those of" in a couple answer choices that's a huge signal that possessive comparison/modification is in play here, so *then* I'm looking super carefully for that. (E) makes it really clear that Thai village crafts and village crafts of other countries are separate. In (C) I can see where even if it's not wrong it could be seen as confusing. Consider this as another version:

Thai food, like it is in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.

Are we saying "Thai food" in other Asian countries? Or just "food" in other Asian countries (so Chinese food, Laotian food, whatever)?

But if you say:

Thai food, like the food in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.

It's really clear that we're including all those different native cuisines.

Anyway...to me I don't know that I'd immediately read (C) and think "clarity/meaning error!" But in comparison with (E) I can see where (E) is much clearer than (C) could be, so if you ask me to make the decision then that's what'll be on my mind.

(Also I have to check out some of this Bruce Willis / Chuck Norris poetry now!)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8816 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Yeah really good question. I'd read it this way - it's not as much (at least to me) about the difference between "they" and "those" as pronouns, but more that (E) (and also (B)) add the word "of." And taken together, "those of" we know is a possessive construction. *That* is what would trigger me to go back and look for the possessive "Thai village crafts" and make sure that I'm matching possessive to possessive (as opposed to carrying the entire construction over to "they.")

One thing that's worked really well for me and for students I've worked with is letting the answer choices alert you to potential errors and lack-of-clarity issues. In a vacuum I don't know that I'd initially see a problem with "they"...but as soon as I see "those of" in a couple answer choices that's a huge signal that possessive comparison/modification is in play here, so *then* I'm looking super carefully for that. (E) makes it really clear that Thai village crafts and village crafts of other countries are separate. In (C) I can see where even if it's not wrong it could be seen as confusing. Consider this as another version:

Thai food, like it is in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.

Are we saying "Thai food" in other Asian countries? Or just "food" in other Asian countries (so Chinese food, Laotian food, whatever)?

But if you say:

Thai food, like the food in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.

It's really clear that we're including all those different native cuisines.

Anyway...to me I don't know that I'd immediately read (C) and think "clarity/meaning error!" But in comparison with (E) I can see where (E) is much clearer than (C) could be, so if you ask me to make the decision then that's what'll be on my mind.

(Also I have to check out some of this Bruce Willis / Chuck Norris poetry now!)

VeritasPrepBrian - Thanks for your prompt response.

*That* is what would trigger me to go back and look for the possessive "Thai village crafts" and make sure that I'm matching possessive to possessive (as opposed to carrying the entire construction over to "they.") ---> That of and Those of are both possessive construction.

1. Also, you have mentioned that "Thai village crafts" is possessive -->, In my opinion, Thai village's craft is possessive and Thai village craft is just a noun(craft) with two modifiers(adjectives) - Thai and village. Did you simplify(by calling "Thai village crafts" possessive) it to show that both the structures work in the same way in case of that of and those of constructions ?

So did you mean that in case of That of and Those of both the structures -" Thai village crafts" and " Thai village's crafts" are same?

2. Thai Village's crafts --> If we use the pronoun "they", then "they" will refer to the entire phrase "Thai Village's crafts"
, whereas using their(possessive) we can refer to Thai village's
and using those we can refer to crafts?

3. Thai village crafts --> If we use the pronoun "they", then "they" will refer to the entire phrase "Thai Village crafts"
, whereas using those we can refer to "crafts"? (But "their" WON'T work because there is no possessive here? )

4. Thai food, like it is in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.-- This sounds illogical as the pronoun "it" refers to Thai food

Thai food, like that of in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available. -- can the Pronoun "that of" refer to the noun food here?

Thai food, like the food in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available. -- No pronoun used here, so it's okay

The pronoun "IT" refers to same pronoun whereas "That of" or 'Those of" refers to a copy ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 934 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMATNinja egmat VeritasKarishma daagh gmatexam439 chetan2u

Though the best answer is E , isnt grammatically option E unsound?
"thai village crafts, like those of other cultures..."
now those is a pronoun referring back to a noun. Now i know "those" refers back to "crafts" but "crafts" has adjective "thai village" so isnt this a compound noun??? and if we be literal and replace "those" with " thai village crafts" it makes no sense...
how can we drop " thai village" from crafts ???
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 934 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
daagh thank you for the response. I will definitely look up the definition of compound noun.

But the primary doubt I have is how can we drop the adjective from the noun ?? As you said this " Thai village crafts" is in its entirety a plural noun...so accordingly shouldn't "those" refer back to "Thai village crafts "

This doubt persists because in an official SC question , an answer choice was wrong because the pronoun replaced the entire (adj+noun) and not just the noun.

Please explain...sorry for the trouble..

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Relative pronouns and pronouns should refer to back to just a precise noun, not a phrase nor a theme.

Quote:
This doubt persists because in an official SC question , an answer choice was wrong because the pronoun replaced the entire (adj+noun) and not just the noun.

Cn you please provide the question and the choice for the above ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi, can somebody explain to me why they used the present perfect “have developped” and not the present perfect for passive tense “ have been developped”, taking into consideration that “crafts” can not do the action??

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
elchaya wrote:
Hi, can somebody explain to me why they used the present perfect “have developped” and not the present perfect for passive tense “ have been developped”, taking into consideration that “crafts” can not do the action??

have developed is used in the sense of have evolved here.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Nothing is wrong with E as:
Thai village crafts , like thai village crafts of other cultures , xxx

I have seen GMATNinja sir explanation on some of the sentences in which the option was rejected based on similar reason.
but here E seems correct.

Please share your comments GMATNinja GMATRockstar EducationAisle chetan2u EMPOWERgmatVerbal
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts