GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 20:33
amatya wrote:
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
(B) as did those of
(C) as they have in
(D) like in
(E) like those of

In option C, "they" refers to Thai Village crafts and thus it is illogical since Thai village crafts have not developed in other cultures.
1. In "Thai village crafts", Thai and Village are modifiers(adjectives) that modify crafts, but when we use "they" as in option C, "they" refers to the entire phrase "Thai village crafts" and CANNOT refer only to Crafts

2.Whereas in option E, "those" acts as a pronoun and refers ONLY to crafts?
Thai village crafts = village crafts of Thai
I can understand that those can refer ONLY to crafts if we used village crafts of THAI, but I wasn't very sure in the current format-"Thai village crafts"

-Like the poetry of Bruce Willis, that of Chuck Norris is flowery and pretty. -- here that refers to poetry
-Like Bruce Willis' poetry, that of Chuck Norris is flowery and pretty. -- here that refers to poetry

I understand that the term "that" in above examples of Bruce Willis refers to poetry, but wasn't very sure about Thai village crafts.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , ChiranjeevSingh , RonPurewal , VeritasPrepBrian , other experts -please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
B
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 20:57
Top Contributor
Yeah really good question. I'd read it this way - it's not as much (at least to me) about the difference between "they" and "those" as pronouns, but more that (E) (and also (B)) add the word "of." And taken together, "those of" we know is a possessive construction. *That* is what would trigger me to go back and look for the possessive "Thai village crafts" and make sure that I'm matching possessive to possessive (as opposed to carrying the entire construction over to "they.")

One thing that's worked really well for me and for students I've worked with is letting the answer choices alert you to potential errors and lack-of-clarity issues. In a vacuum I don't know that I'd initially see a problem with "they"...but as soon as I see "those of" in a couple answer choices that's a huge signal that possessive comparison/modification is in play here, so *then* I'm looking super carefully for that. (E) makes it really clear that Thai village crafts and village crafts of other countries are separate. In (C) I can see where even if it's not wrong it could be seen as confusing. Consider this as another version:

Thai food, like it is in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.

Are we saying "Thai food" in other Asian countries? Or just "food" in other Asian countries (so Chinese food, Laotian food, whatever)?

But if you say:

Thai food, like the food in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.

It's really clear that we're including all those different native cuisines.

Anyway...to me I don't know that I'd immediately read (C) and think "clarity/meaning error!" But in comparison with (E) I can see where (E) is much clearer than (C) could be, so if you ask me to make the decision then that's what'll be on my mind.

(Also I have to check out some of this Bruce Willis / Chuck Norris poetry now!)

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Veritas Prep Reviews

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 22:16
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Yeah really good question. I'd read it this way - it's not as much (at least to me) about the difference between "they" and "those" as pronouns, but more that (E) (and also (B)) add the word "of." And taken together, "those of" we know is a possessive construction. *That* is what would trigger me to go back and look for the possessive "Thai village crafts" and make sure that I'm matching possessive to possessive (as opposed to carrying the entire construction over to "they.")

One thing that's worked really well for me and for students I've worked with is letting the answer choices alert you to potential errors and lack-of-clarity issues. In a vacuum I don't know that I'd initially see a problem with "they"...but as soon as I see "those of" in a couple answer choices that's a huge signal that possessive comparison/modification is in play here, so *then* I'm looking super carefully for that. (E) makes it really clear that Thai village crafts and village crafts of other countries are separate. In (C) I can see where even if it's not wrong it could be seen as confusing. Consider this as another version:

Thai food, like it is in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.

Are we saying "Thai food" in other Asian countries? Or just "food" in other Asian countries (so Chinese food, Laotian food, whatever)?

But if you say:

Thai food, like the food in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.

It's really clear that we're including all those different native cuisines.

Anyway...to me I don't know that I'd immediately read (C) and think "clarity/meaning error!" But in comparison with (E) I can see where (E) is much clearer than (C) could be, so if you ask me to make the decision then that's what'll be on my mind.

(Also I have to check out some of this Bruce Willis / Chuck Norris poetry now!)

VeritasPrepBrian - Thanks for your prompt response.

*That* is what would trigger me to go back and look for the possessive "Thai village crafts" and make sure that I'm matching possessive to possessive (as opposed to carrying the entire construction over to "they.") ---> That of and Those of are both possessive construction.

1. Also, you have mentioned that "Thai village crafts" is possessive -->, In my opinion, Thai village's craft is possessive and Thai village craft is just a noun(craft) with two modifiers(adjectives) - Thai and village. Did you simplify(by calling "Thai village crafts" possessive) it to show that both the structures work in the same way in case of that of and those of constructions ?

So did you mean that in case of That of and Those of both the structures -" Thai village crafts" and " Thai village's crafts" are same?

2. Thai Village's crafts --> If we use the pronoun "they", then "they" will refer to the entire phrase "Thai Village's crafts"
, whereas using their(possessive) we can refer to Thai village's
and using those we can refer to crafts?

3. Thai village crafts --> If we use the pronoun "they", then "they" will refer to the entire phrase "Thai Village crafts"
, whereas using those we can refer to "crafts"? (But "their" WON'T work because there is no possessive here? )

4. Thai food, like it is in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available.-- This sounds illogical as the pronoun "it" refers to Thai food

Thai food, like that of in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available. -- can the Pronoun "that of" refer to the noun food here?

Thai food, like the food in other Asian countries, is generally spicy but milder options are available. -- No pronoun used here, so it's okay

The pronoun "IT" refers to same pronoun whereas "That of" or 'Those of" refers to a copy ?

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 09:14
Top Contributor
Regarding whether "Thai" is an adjective or a possessive there, nationality descriptions could be either:

-Chinese exports rose 10% last month --> that's "the exports of China" as a possessive

-Chinese food is delicious --> Chinese is an adjective there describing a type of food

Then for the rest...I'll just circle back to the notion that Sentence Correction is more about good strategy and decision-making (and reading comprehension) than about getting deep in to the weeds of grammar. Which is to say 1) I'd be punching way above my weight class if I tried to get into a pages-long discussion about all the different permutations this problem could have taken...and while in my first year or so of teaching the GMAT that kind made me feel a little like a fraud ("how can I teach SC without knowing all these little angles on grammar?") I'm 100% convinced now that it's a feature and not a bug, because 2) whenever you find yourself past page 1 of a Google search for a grammatical concept, or on your 5th or 6th GMAT Club reply trying to figure it out, you're almost certainly missing a much more repeatable strategic component that's really at the heart of what they're testing.

Here like I said the presence of "those of" in two answer choices told me that it looks like they're testing a possessive comparison/modification - something I *know* the GMAT tests frequently so when I see that I make it a primary decision point - and once I identified that "Thai" looks like it's being used as a possessive, that's the whole game.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 06:23
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

Hi VeritasPrepBrian ,
it's my first time to see a sentence ,like this, in GMAT.

Should like be followed noun or noun phrase?
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Tuck '19
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 01:07
amatya wrote:
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
(B) as did those of
(C) as they have in
(D) like in
(E) like those of

So here s my approach to this comparison problem..

Okay..So i see "as" vs "like"

I immediately realise its a comparison question..

Now what is being compared..(determine the context of comparsion)
Thai crafts of one village to the thai crafts of other villages..

Now
AS--cannot be used for comparing nouns..we use like

So remove A,B,C

Now like in is incorrect...ask IN what what?
we are just comparing X to Y..

Thai to crafts to those of other crafts so direct answer E

Press Kudos if it helps!!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Tuck '19
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 01:13
lguerreromeseguer wrote:
I have one more question for you experts!

I normally read all the explanations the official guide gives to every answer choice. For C it reads: "The use of the pronoun they is inaccurate; the reader is likely to take its antecedent to be Thai village crafts, not crafts. Furthermore, even if the pronoun here were not problematic, if the construction as they have in other cultures is used, it should occur after the main verb (have developed) is introduced."

What rule is there stating that the main verb should have appeared before the construction as they have in other cultures? I would have surely selected that option as correct.

Thanks!!

he pronoun they refers directly to the full original noun; in this case, they refers to Thai village crafts. It’s illogical, though, to compare Thai village crafts to Thai village crafts; rather, the sentence should compare Thai village crafts to some other crafts.

The pronoun those does not have the same restriction as the pronoun they. Those can refer to the original noun in a generic way: this type of thing (crafts) but not the exact same thing (Thai village crafts). For example, this sentence is correct: Isla’s shoes are like those of her mother. Those refers to a different pair of shoes (her mother’s shoes), not Isla’s specific shoes.

Press Kudos if it helps!!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 15:13
egmat wrote:

Choice D is incorrect because the comparison word like has been followed by a preposition in. This usage is incorrect because when presenting comparison, like must be followed by the noun entity that forms one part of the comparison. It is not followed by any other entity.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shradda egmat, sorry for bumping an old discussion!

Thank you for your explanation. Can we safely say that "like" (when presenting a comparison) cannot be followed by the prepositional phrase?

Thanks!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 07:00
GMATNinja egmat VeritasKarishma daagh gmatexam439 chetan2u

Though the best answer is E , isnt grammatically option E unsound?
"thai village crafts, like those of other cultures..."
now those is a pronoun referring back to a noun. Now i know "those" refers back to "crafts" but "crafts" has adjective "thai village" so isnt this a compound noun??? and if we be literal and replace "those" with " thai village crafts" it makes no sense...
how can we drop " thai village" from crafts ???
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 07:26
Top Contributor
Aditya

If you say that the noun 'crafts will become a compound when you attach an adjective to the term, then you are getting confused that the "Thai village," is another noun. However, please note that its part of speech is here an adjective. Like when we say "oil price," don't mistake that there are two nouns such as oil and price. Oil is an adjective here. 'The Thai village crafts' is not compound but at best, it is a plural noun.
Please revisit the definition of a compound noun and verify. Secondly, if the Thai village crafts is a compound noun, where is the co-coordinating conjunction between them? You cannot have a compound noun without the use of coordinating conjunction.
Secondly, having already said that 'those' refers to the crafts, you should not again unnecessarily change it to 'Thai village crafts."

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 07:36
daagh thank you for the response. I will definitely look up the definition of compound noun.

But the primary doubt I have is how can we drop the adjective from the noun ?? As you said this " Thai village crafts" is in its entirety a plural noun...so accordingly shouldn't "those" refer back to "Thai village crafts "

This doubt persists because in an official SC question , an answer choice was wrong because the pronoun replaced the entire (adj+noun) and not just the noun.

Please explain...sorry for the trouble..

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 07:44
Top Contributor
Relative pronouns and pronouns should refer to back to just a precise noun, not a phrase nor a theme.

Quote:
This doubt persists because in an official SC question , an answer choice was wrong because the pronoun replaced the entire (adj+noun) and not just the noun.

Cn you please provide the question and the choice for the above ?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through &nbs [#permalink] 05 Nov 2018, 07:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap