GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
S
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 22:23
amatya wrote:
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
(B) as did those of
(C) as they have in
(D) like in
(E) like those of

Press Kudos if you like the post

i like this question. I will give you an explanation. give me kudos, if you are satisfied/

grammatically, "as" is used to compare 2 actions and "like" is used to compare 2 nouns. but meaningfully, "as" is used to show that two actions is done in the same way and "like" is used to show that two noun do the same action. it is clear that "as" and "like" show two different meaning relation.

in b, we do not want to show that two actions is done in the same way. we do not want to say that "thai village craft" have developed in the same way as other crafts. we want to say two kind of craft are similar in that they develop through a priciple.

moreover, in B, the verb tense "did" is not good here. we do not want to say that other craft used to develop through a principle.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 02:21
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
--> wrong comparison.

(B) as did those of
--> no reason to use past tense.

(C) as they have in
--> "they" is ambiguous.

(D) like in
--> wrong comparison

(E) like those of
--> correct.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 02:02
The long sentence can be cut short and written as :

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through X and incorporate Y.

or even shorter

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have XYZ.

Now as other experts have mentioned, the comparison is "Thai crafts Vs Crafts of Other Cultures" because it is illogical to compare crafts with cultures.

So, (E) like those of
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 22:04
The author is trying to compare crafts from Thai village with crafts from other cultures. Hence the only answer that compares crafts with other crafts is E

Thai village crafts, like those(crafts) of other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 02:29
This is a comparison question, in which we need to logically compare noun "crafts" to noun "crafts" of other cultures or "those" of other cultures, in this case, "those" is referring to cultures of other villages.

Hence, Answer is E

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 08:22
Im sorry to ask an irrelevant question like this, but can anybody explain for me the grammar used in this part of the sentence : " that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills" . why does the word "follows" got the "s" and also the "fashioned using" part. Thanks a lot
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 03:43
Can someone please explain why option C is incorrect here?

I marked E but was a bit confused between C and E. I thought 'Thai village crafts have developed' could be parallel to 'as they (crafts) have (developed - omitted for ellipsis effect) in'.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 05:03
GMATNinja
Im sorry but i still have difficulty with comparisons even after watching your videos. kindly help.
Now my first choice is Option D . Also option E uses those of which is a clause following like which is incorrect. Kindly help. thank you
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 21:43
longhaul123 wrote:
GMATNinja
Im sorry but i still have difficulty with comparisons even after watching your videos. kindly help.
Now my first choice is Option D . Also option E uses those of which is a clause following like which is incorrect. Kindly help. thank you

Hello longhaul123,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Choice D is incorrect because the comparison word like has been followed by a preposition in. This usage is incorrect because when presenting comparison, like must be followed by the noun entity that forms one part of the comparison. It is not followed by any other entity.

Now let's talk about Choice E. Please bear in mind that a clause MUST have a subject and its verb. However, there is no verb in the structure that follows like.

In the phrase those of other cultures, the pronoun those stands for crafts. This phrase clearly presents the logical comparison between Thai village crafts and crafts of other cultures.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 21:51
somesh86 wrote:
Can someone please explain why option C is incorrect here?

I marked E but was a bit confused between C and E. I thought 'Thai village crafts have developed' could be parallel to 'as they (crafts) have (developed - omitted for ellipsis effect) in'.

Hello somesh86,

I am not sure of you still have this doubt. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

In Choice C, pronoun they refers to Thai village crafts, a reference that doesn’t make sense since it is nonsensical to say Thai village crafts have developed in other cultures. Hence, Choice C is incorrect.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 22:00
AmeliaLuu wrote:
Im sorry to ask an irrelevant question like this, but can anybody explain for me the grammar used in this part of the sentence : " that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills" . why does the word "follows" got the "s" and also the "fashioned using" part. Thanks a lot

Hello AmeliaLuu,

I am not sure of you still have this doubt. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

Following is the structure of this official sentence with the correct answer choice E:

Thai village crafts, like those of other cultures, have developed through the principle
that form follows function
and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills.

In the above mentioned sentence, the plural subject Thai village crafts have two verbs - have developed and incorporate.

The subject for the singular verb follows is singular noun form. So the subject and the verb are in the same number.

The phrase fashioned using traditional skills is a verb-ed modifier that presents additional information about the noun readily available materials.

The sentence says that the materials used Thai village crafts are fashioned by using traditional skills.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 20:49
Th e phrase as with other cultures is initially
confusing given that no culture has been
specifi cally mentioned; Th ai village culture is
indirectly referenced by the mention of Th ai village
crafts , so perhaps that is what is meant. But then,
looking at the phrase in context, it becomes clear
that the sentence is intended to indicate that the
crafts of other cultures are similar in certain ways
to Th ai village crafts. Th us, the sentence should say
those of other cultures . Furthermore, the use here of
as with is questionable. To do the job it is supposed
to do here (to indicate that the crafts of Th ai
villages are like the crafts of other cultures in a
particular way), as with should be at the beginning
of the sentence: As with the crafts of other cultures,
Th ai village crafts have developed. . . . Alternatively,
like could be used here instead of as with .
A Th e appropriate comparison is between Th ai
village crafts and those (i.e., crafts) of other
cultures, not the other cultures themselves.
Additionally, like would be more appropriate
here than as with .
B Th e verb form here is incorrect. [ D ] id is not
parallel to have later in the sentence. Th e
phrase as have those of other cultures would be
parallel, but it is in the wrong position. To be
correct, it would need to occur after the main
verb is introduced: Th ai village crafts have
developed, as have those of other cultures, . . .
C Th e use of the pronoun they is inaccurate; the reader is likely to take its antecedent
to be Th ai village crafts , not crafts . Furthermore, even if the pronoun here
were not problematic, if the construction as they have in other cultures is used, it should
occur after the main verb ( have developed ) is introduced.

D The comparative term like compares two nouns or noun phrases, but in this version
of the sentence, like compares a noun ( crafts ) with a prepositional phrase ( in other
cultures ).
Intern
Intern
B
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 09:20
Official Explanation

Logical predication; Diction; Verb form
e phrase as with other cultures is initially confusing given that no culture has been speci cally mentioned; ai village culture is indirectly referenced by the mention of ai village crafts, so perhaps that is what is meant. But then, looking at the phrase in context, it becomes clear that the sentence is intended to indicate that the crafts of other cultures are similar in certain ways to ai village crafts. us, the sentence should say those of other cultures. Furthermore, the use here of as with is questionable. To do the job it is supposed to do here (to indicate that the crafts of ai villages are like the crafts of other cultures in a particular way), as with should be at the beginning of the sentence: As with the crafts of other cultures, ai village crafts have developed. . . . Alternatively, like could be used here instead of as with.
A e appropriate comparison is between ai village crafts and those (i.e., crafts) of other cultures, not the other cultures themselves. Additionally, like would be more appropriate here than as with.
B e verb form here is incorrect. [D]id is not parallel to have later in the sentence. e phrase as have those of other cultures would be parallel, but it is in the wrong position. To be correct, it would need to occur after the main verb is introduced: ai village crafts have developed, as have those of other cultures, . . .
C e use of the pronoun they is inaccurate; the reader is likely to take its antecedent
to be ai village crafts, not crafts. Furthermore, even if the pronoun here were not problematic, if the construction as they have in other cultures is used, it should occur after the main verb (have developed) is introduced.
D e comparative term like compares two nouns or noun phrases, but in this version of the sentence, like compares a noun (crafts) with a prepositional phrase (in other cultures).
E Correct. [T]hose of other cultures clearly refers to the crafts of other cultures; like is appropriate for making a comparison between two sorts of things (crafts).
The correct answer is E.

Press Kudos if you like this post
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 09:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap