Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through [#permalink]
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
amatya wrote:
Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through the principle that form follows function and incorporate readily available materials fashioned using traditional skills

(A) as with
(B) as did those of
(C) as they have in
(D) like in
(E) like those of

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Idioms

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "Thai village crafts" to "other cultures"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option A incorrectly uses "as" to compare the noun phrases "Thai village crafts" and "other cultures"; please remember, “like” is used for comparing nouns, “as” is used for comparing actions/clauses, and “such as” is used for giving examples.

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun phrase "Thai village crafts" to the verb phrase "did those of other cultures"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

C: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun phrase "Thai village crafts" to the clause "they have in"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

D: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun phrase "Thai village crafts" to the prepositional phrase "in other cultures"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly compares "Thai village crafts" with "those (village crafts) of other cultures". Further, Option E correctly uses "like" to compare the noun phrases "Thai village crafts" with "those of other cultures".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Like" vs "As" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Can you please clear my doubt!

I was actually comparing the “Thai village crafts getting developed” with “the development of crafts in other cultures”.

So i thought “did or some other verbs” should be used for comparison.

What am i missing here??!!??

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Thai village crafts, as with other cultures, have developed through [#permalink]
Kudos