Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [37]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [11]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
The company's newest cell phone upgrade was announced yesterday and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Project SC Butler: Day 93 Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The company's newest cell phone upgrade was announced yesterday, and executives are promising a much better model; this year's offering will include more storage capacity, longer battery life, and an improved camera.

A) are promising a much better model; this

B) promised a much better model; this

C) are promising a much better model than their current version; this

D) will be promising a much better model; this

E) are promising a much better model compared to last year's model, but this

MY ANALYSIS AND OFFICIAL EXPLANATION TIED TOGETHER

This question illustrates a good reason to inspect differences among or between answers.
Why do C and E include "a much better model THAN their current version" and "a much better model COMPARED to last year's model," respectively?

(A) may seem correct. That fact does not make (A) the best answer.

We are not looking for one correct answer. When we decide to keep an option, we should do so tentatively. GMAC relies on how inflexible the human mind can be.

We should try to compare something to something else. Idiomatically, better is almost always paired with than.

If some choices use "better THAN" (something) and other choices do not use "better THAN" (something), try to eliminate the latter.

This question contains an incomplete comparison.
Regarding the phrase "a much better model": much better than what?
Than this year's model?
Than the model that came out five years ago and that has not been changed?

Although readers can surmise that the company's executives are comparing the promised new model to AN old model,
this fact is not actually stated in options A, B, and D.

If X is "better," then X is better than Y.
A choice that names Y thereby names what X is being compared to. If that choice is grammatically correct, the comparison is complete.

Answer choice E correctly finishes the comparison but uses an awkward conjunction and redundantly includes compared to.

(1) "But" implies quite a bit of contrast. True, the new model will be slightly different. In the last part of the sentence, though, we are still talking a cell phone.

(2) "Better" and "compared to" are usually considered redundant. Better already implies comparison.

Compare to (C):
are promising a much better model than their current version; this

Is (E) better than (C)? No.

If you believe otherwise, check official questions. See how many correct answers use both "better" and "compared to." (None that I recall, although a few may exist.) Compare that number to correct answers that use "better than." (The second kind? There are many.)

Option C correctly states the comparison.

Abhishek009 rightly states:
Quote:
@IMHO (C), theirs here clearly refers to the "executives"

Their does refer to the executives.
The pronoun reference is fine. Possessive pronouns must have antecedents that agree in number and kind.

The first clause is an independent clause, followed by comma + and
The second clause is an independent clause, with a new subject, namely, the executives.
Correct meaning: The executives are promising that their current version of the phone will be better.

Answer C.

GKomoku - best answer. Nice work. Kudos!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: The company's newest cell phone upgrade was announced yesterday and [#permalink]
Kudos
generis I hope you are doing good !!
My question pertains to the pronoun reference ... the antecendent of "theirs" is "executives"
Though i totally agree that there has to be in most cases a clear comparison (in this case better than what?) , but the pronoun reference is objectionable
The company has "models" and not the executives

My questions :
1. Is it necessary that the comparison should be clear in the given sentence?? Can it be implicit even when there is no such hint/reference to make the implicit part acceptable

2. Is it acceptable to consider that the pronoun reference in such cases can refer to a person when it actually needs to refer back to the company / the entity that actually makes the product??

I understand that pronoun ambiguity is not a hard rule to be followed on GMAT but , is it the same with PRNOUN reference ?? As far as i hve learned, the pronoun antecedent should be meaningful
@VeitasPrepBrain VeritasKarishma Please respond
I second Skywalker18 view on this one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
The company's newest cell phone upgrade was announced yesterday and [#permalink]
Kudos
I noticed that some people chose C because of the "than". However, the clause after the semicolon also has comparison but doesn't have "than"!

Some people might argue that it is compared to "their current version" in C, but IMO, they do not compare.

MartyTargetTestPrep daagh Could some experts explain this? Thank you so much!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The company's newest cell phone upgrade was announced yesterday and [#permalink]
KanishkM wrote:
generis wrote:

The company's newest cell phone upgrade was announced yesterday, and executives are promising a much better model; this year's offering will include more storage capacity, longer battery life, and an improved camera.

Intent: Tone should be a +ive one, New upgrade, better options

Original sentence is correct

Incorrect tense.

Their is referring to whom ??

They are not predicting this in the future, they already have told everyone about the new additions.

But - the tone is not a negative one-> Out

IMHO (C), theirs here clearly refers to the " executives "
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
IMO B

Announcement on upgrade was made yesterday and executives promise was made during the announcement. Hence both should be in the past

correct, Both tenses are in the past

Same as ''A'' also an upgrade happens over the current version hence use of current version is redundant

''Will be'' is in future tense while ''announcement'' was made in past

''But'' is used to denote contrast. No contrast is present in the sentence
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
generis wrote:

MY ANALYSIS AND OFFICIAL EXPLANATION TIED TOGETHER

This question illustrates a good reason to inspect differences among or between answers.
Why do C and E include "a much better model THAN their current version" and "a much better model COMPARED to last year's model," respectively?

This question also illustrates that once a test taker seems to find the right answer,
it is easy to be a little too dismissive, perhaps, of other options that follow.

Once our minds "lock in" on what we think is correct, it is hard to keep an open mind.
We are not looking for one correct answer. When we decide to keep an option, we should do so tentatively,
because we are looking for four incorrect answers, and without a tentative "keep" on what appears to be a good answer,
our minds are prone to miss errors in what we have chosen.

In comparison questions, we have to compare something to something.
The mention or reference must be explicit.

This question contains an incomplete comparison.
The phrase "a much better model": much better than what?
Than this year's model?
Than the model that came out five years ago and that has not been changed?

Although readers can surmise that the company's executives are comparing the new model to an old model,
this fact is not actually stated in options A, B, and D.

Answer choice E correctly finishes the comparison, but uses an illogical conjunction.
"But" implies contrast. Consistent with what the executives are promising, next year's model will be better.

Option C correctly states the comparison.
Abhishek009 rightly states:
Quote:
@IMHO (C), theirs here clearly refers to the " executives "

Their does refer to the executives.
The pronoun reference is absolutely fine.
The first clause is an independent clause, followed by comma + and
The second clause is an independent clause, with a new subject, namely, the executives.
Correct meaning: The executives are promising that their current version of the phone will be better.

Answer C.

The pronoun 'their' refers to executives, but OA(C) seems illogical as it seems that we are talking about the current version of executives. The relevant part of option C is as follows-

executives are promising a much better model than their current version.

On replacing the pronoun 'their'--> executives are promising a much better model than executives' current version.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , other experts - please enlighten
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
The pronoun 'their' refers to executives, but OA(C) seems illogical as it seems that we are talking about the current version of executives. The relevant part of option C is as follows-

On replacing the pronoun 'their'--> executives are promising a much better model than executives' current version.

While it is possible to interpret the sentence in the way in which you describe, it is also possible to interpret "their current version" as referring to "the executives' current version of the phone."

I think you have to give the sentence the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this one and go with the interpretation that makes sense rather than the one that is completely nonsensical.

That having been said, we can agree that the structure of the comparison in (C) is awkward and not quite logical. Something along the lines of the following would be better:

"executives are promising a model much better than their current version"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:

While it is possible to interpret the sentence in the way in which you describe, it is also possible to interpret "their current version" as referring to "the executives' current version of the phone."

I think you have to give the sentence the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this one and go with the interpretation that makes sense rather than the one that is completely nonsensical.

That having been said, we can agree that the structure of the comparison in (C) is awkward and not quite logical. Something along the lines of the following would be better:

"executives are promising a model much better than their current version"

MartyTargetTestPrep

I agree with you

In option C, 'their' makes the sentence seem like comparing previous model to the current version of the executives; seems illogical at the moment

The source of the question is not official; Therefore, i dont think I should rely on such an ambiguous sentence!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts