GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Posts: 93
Location: Tu
Schools: Chicago b.
The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jun 2018, 06:56
2
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (00:42) correct 38% (00:46) wrong based on 144 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

774. The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

(A) used the information obtained to find evidence supporting
(B) used such information as they obtained to find evidence supporting
(C) used the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support
(D) of using the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support
(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive of

OA
is D, however I have concerns according of the answer (q. is form 1000sc),
and here they are:
1) they? according to the oxford vocabulary POLICE is singular.
2) I think that USE should be parallel to TAPED because of THAN
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than used inf....
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than of using inf.. this one is sound like She first suspected of having... and than she suspected of using... .
Correct me if I am mistaken. Thanx.

_________________

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...


Originally posted by Ayrish on 31 Dec 2009, 06:26.
Last edited by gmatbusters on 11 Jun 2018, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.
Official answer added.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 303
Schools: Yale SOM
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2009, 10:43
1
IMO D.

To narrow down the choices, first look at 'of having'. Next, take out [illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client ]

She suspected the police 'of having'.. 'and then of using'. Of having and of using should be parallel.

Therefore, eliminate A,B,C.

Next, 'taped' is past tense. Look in D and E for past tense in regards to obtaining evidence so the two are parallel.

'they had obtained' is past tense.

Choose D.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5875
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2009, 10:57
3
Ayrish wrote:
774. The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

(A) used the information obtained to find evidence supporting
(B) used such information as they obtained to find evidence supporting
(C) used the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support
(D) of using the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support
(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive of

OA
is D, however I have concerns according of the answer (q. is form 1000sc),
and here they are:
1) they? according to the oxford vocabulary POLICE is singular.
2) I think that USE should be parallel to TAPED because of THAN
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than used inf....
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than of using inf.. this one is sound like She first suspected of having... and than she suspected of using... .
Correct me if I am mistaken. Thanx.



1) first police can be used as both singular and plural... look at nonunderlined portion ,it has 'their murder charges'.... so 'they' is correct

2) second llism is between the two actions of police... so using is llel to having....

3) third point. use of then is not abt her suspecting one thing after another... it is first illegally taping then using that info for using....
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 02:52
Can someone explain why the parallelism is not between taped and used (as in C) :
..she suspected the police of having illegally taped ... and then used the information..
the parallelism between of having taped and of using does not seem correct to me (present perfect progressive does not parallel with a gerund)
Also the meaning in D is that she suspect the police on one thing and then (after a while) on another. It is nonsensical.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2011, 02:32
this is not a voting that counts who is favor D or not. The OA is known already so it might be helpful if you can explain something. This is a forum, you know.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2011, 03:00
eladoren wrote:
Can someone explain why the parallelism is not between taped and used (as in C) :
..she suspected the police of having illegally taped ... and then used the information..
the parallelism between of having taped and of using does not seem correct to me (present perfect progressive does not parallel with a gerund)
Also the meaning in D is that she suspect the police on one thing and then (after a while) on another. It is nonsensical.


let me break this 1 down for you -

The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

Parallelism is not between taped and used but between of having .. and of using because if you consider the sentence in fragments - because the parallelism is between two phrases here 'of having illegally taped' and 'of using the information' ...for using 'used' and 'taped' the sentence should have been - The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected that the police illegally taped..... hence a, b, c are wrong.
The meaning in D is not nonsensical if you see that the lawyer suspects the police of 1 set of 2 consecutive actions(taping and then using)
E is wrong here also for the usage of such information - which makes the information more specific whereas the intent of the sentence is to have it generic .
_________________

This time , its my time .

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4308
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2011, 23:43
2
1
If llism has to be maintained between taped and used, what will be the subject of the verb ‘used’? It will be she (the lawyer), distorting the intent of the text. The actual sentence will read:

She suspected the police of having illegally taped ... and then (she) used the information.

Will it make sense? The thumb rule of llism is that, things considered parallel
should be so both in meaning and form. So C has to be ignored.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2011
Posts: 145
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2011, 08:59
daagh wrote:
If llism has to be maintained between taped and used, what will be the subject of the verb ‘used’? It will be she (the lawyer), distorting the intent of the text. The actual sentence will read:

She suspected the police of having illegally taped ... and then (she) used the information.

Will it make sense? The thumb rule of llism is that, things considered parallel
should be so both in meaning and form. So C has to be ignored.


Daagh,
What do you think about the sentence below?
She suspected the police of having illegally taped ... and then (having) used the information.

Is it any wrong to interpret the above sentence as an elided one?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 91
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2011, 09:03
Imo:D. suspected the police of having-----and then of------.E is wordy. D is correct.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 215
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2011, 17:32
Suspected police { [of having...] + then [of using] }
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1271
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 13:21
Onell wrote:
daagh wrote:
If llism has to be maintained between taped and used, what will be the subject of the verb ‘used’? It will be she (the lawyer), distorting the intent of the text. The actual sentence will read:

She suspected the police of having illegally taped ... and then (she) used the information.

Will it make sense? The thumb rule of llism is that, things considered parallel
should be so both in meaning and form. So C has to be ignored.


Daagh,
What do you think about the sentence below?
She suspected the police of having illegally taped ... and then (having) used the information.

Is it any wrong to interpret the above sentence as an elided one?

then "having" used the information is incorrect because "having used the information" means that information has already been used. The sequence is unclear.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 07:25
774. The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

(A) used the information obtained to find evidence supporting - CORRECT because this answer is concise and adheres to parallelism rule
(B) used such information as they obtained to find evidence supporting - the pronoun 'they' has no clear reference
(C) used the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support - the pronoun 'they' has no clear reference
(D) of using the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support - violates parallelism rule
(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive of - violates parallelism rule

As a rule of thumb, conjunction 'and' signifies that parallelism issue is being tested. Whenever you find 'and' make sure that the two clauses connected by 'and' are of similar tense.
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2018, 07:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.